PDA

View Full Version : What to do about my blunt hemline?

softheartedandl
July 14th, 2020, 11:41 AM
Hey, everyone! Hope y'all are doing well! I need a little hair advice. My hair is (I think) 1b with medium thickness. Lengthwise it's about mid-back. I'm not really a fan of the super blunt look but I'm not sure about layers. Last time I had layers, since my hair is so straight the longest layer looked really dry and damaged and thin. Does anybody know of anyway to soften up my hemline without layers?

pisinoe
July 14th, 2020, 11:42 AM
Maybe go for an U hemline? :)

softheartedandl
July 14th, 2020, 12:24 PM
A U hemline is what I'm leaning towards, I think. Currently looking up some youtube tutorials since I can't go to a salon.

jane_marie
July 14th, 2020, 12:28 PM
I don't care for Brad Mondo much but he does have a pretty good tutorial that could help with a U hem if you just skip the layering part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmE16ej9IU

Nini
July 14th, 2020, 12:34 PM
Or you can leave it to fairytale on it's own if you're of the patient sort :)

softheartedandl
July 14th, 2020, 12:44 PM
I think Brad Mondo's videos are entertaining but he does seem to have a vendetta against people who keep their hair long and their natural color. :laugh:

I think fairytale ends are super pretty on wavy/curly hair but it never looks right to me on straight hair!

Bri-Chan
July 14th, 2020, 01:26 PM
I think a U hemline could help, but not solve the problem. Yeah Brad Mondo doesn't like long hair, but that tutorial is a lot about getting a thinner hemline.

Belgrade Beauty
July 14th, 2020, 01:37 PM
Brad Mondo loves to bleach, so by default I do not like him. :D All of his videos are mostly reactions to stuff...So...This video was on another self trimming thread, posted in the beginning of quarantine so, it looks useful, but I didn't try it out. Most of ladies here, including me don't trim as often as regular folks who went nuts when salons closed, but I'm sure you can find someone who did try his method. You can find also a lot of other tutorials including the famous Fayes self trimming tutorial for all hemlines :)

pisinoe
July 14th, 2020, 02:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSOGwE8Nf1M&t=547s

She explains pretty well how to achieve the U hemline! i'm not sure how this works on shorter hair though.

MusicalSpoons
July 15th, 2020, 05:46 AM
There is a way to soften it which I can see in my head (the result, sadly not the method) but I have no clue what it's called or how to do it. It's almost like layers in concept but we're talking mm, maybe quarter of an inch difference between the top and the bottom and it's a gradual difference, as if the hemline were cut with the scissors not completely horizontal with the blades parallel to the ground, but with the blades on an angle.

I have no clue how it's actually done or if this rings any bells with anyone. I just have this image in my head that I've seen on real, otherwise blunt-cut hair, but with a softness at the hem.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 15th, 2020, 06:10 AM
I don't care for Brad Mondo much but he does have a pretty good tutorial that could help with a U hem if you just skip the layering part.
:scissors:

Yes! I saw this video when it was recommended for me on youtube the other day and I like the way he shows how to get a "beveled" hemline that's not super blunt but not heavily layered either. I think I will use a version of this method when I trim my hair next. And yes, Brad Mondo's opinions about hair are much different from my own, but I still think this is a useful tutorial if you want to avoid a super blunt hem.

lapushka
July 15th, 2020, 03:43 PM
The age-old way to cut your hair in a shape at the hemline (V, U or straight across), is Feye's self-trimming method. People on here have been using this method for years. No need to use videos or anything else, when this will do just fine and is a proven method. I'll link it below:
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

The Lizard Wife
July 15th, 2020, 05:08 PM
There is a way to soften it which I can see in my head (the result, sadly not the method) but I have no clue what it's called or how to do it. It's almost like layers in concept but we're talking mm, maybe quarter of an inch difference between the top and the bottom and it's a gradual difference, as if the hemline were cut with the scissors not completely horizontal with the blades parallel to the ground, but with the blades on an angle.

I have no clue how it's actually done or if this rings any bells with anyone. I just have this image in my head that I've seen on real, otherwise blunt-cut hair, but with a softness at the hem.

If I'm thinking the same thing, a beveled haircut? A friend just used that term when helping me with my bangs, and Googling that term gets me what I'm picturing in my head when I read your description. I always asked my hairdresser to do that for my thick, blunt ends to make them lay softer and nicer after a trim (though we called it "thinning the ends" because she used thinning shears to do it, but you can do it with point cutting, keeping the blades at an angle, as you described).

hennalonghair
July 15th, 2020, 06:46 PM
Yes! Grow your hair longer. I had the same problem as you years ago.

Chromis
July 15th, 2020, 08:01 PM
I's say use Feye's Self Trim method or just keep growing and let it fairytail naturally. Just depends if you prefer to keep the length! Either will do the trick.

Bevel sounds harder to do yourself and like a nightmare to try and explain to a stylist. Also cutting hairs on an angle like that is exposing more core, more likely to get split ends IMO