PDA

View Full Version : Are there any wurlies/curlies/coilies here who clarify their hair weekly?

Fimu
July 10th, 2020, 07:21 AM
I suspect my ends are prone to build-up, whether it's due to hard water or to any product (even cone-free ones can build up), so I probably need to use a shampoo every other wash or two. But on the other hand, I don't want to clarify my hair too often because I wonder whether it's too drying and damaging for high-porosity/damaged curly or coily hair because curls are generally more prone to wear and tear than straight/wavy hair with the same strand thickness and porosity.

I already have tried sulfate-free shampoos, but I haven't found a fitting one yet and I try to restrict trying out new products regularly at the moment.
My scalp is normal to dry and tolerates co-washing, so that's not the problem.

I already am aware I can reduce the stripping effect of sulfate/olefin sulfonate shampoos by heavy pre-poo oiling, WCC, and/or make a separate dilution of the clarifying shampoo for frequent washes. I already do pre-pooing and just started trying out WCC.

ebillan
July 10th, 2020, 09:38 AM
I shampoo my roots about once a week, or whenever I start to feel like there's oil/buildup. What's the problem that you're having? You said you haven't found a fitting sulfate-free shampoo - what are you looking for?

lapushka
July 10th, 2020, 09:46 AM
I'm not represented in your title, just a "wavy" here. Normal porosity. Otherwise I don't keep that close of an eye on my hair anymore (can become too obsessive for me). I weekly wash. My scalp is normal to oily and I do suds up my lengths just because *I* feel that I need to get the remnants of stylers and the oil rinse off of there. Besides a whole week without a wash is long for me, so I really need it, the lengths as well.

I find I get along well with double conditioning after the wash and then slapping the LOC/LCO method on top of that as well. My hair can get weighed down a bit (otherwise: oof... poof LOL).

But that's me.

It can be so tricky to find out what works and what doesn't. I spent many years trying to find a fitting routine! That is why I shared what ultimately worked for me, because others might not have to look that long for something fitting their needs.

If you use a drying shampoo, and you have somewhat textured hair, get that moisture back in using plenty, and I mean: plenty of conditioner or even (a) mask(s). I sometimes mask twice. I barely see a difference anyway between masks and regular conditioners, which is why I often use them interchangeably.

Anyway, that's my routine. :)

Fimu
July 10th, 2020, 09:51 AM
What's the problem that you're having? You said you haven't found a fitting sulfate-free shampoo - what are you looking for?

Low-poos I've tried last year:
* Curls Clarifying shampoo: made my scalp feel itchy
* Free & Clear Anti-dandruff shampoo: felt rough on my hair
* A local one also left a rough residue. I think it's because of the acrylates

Furthermore, many all natural low-poos contain aloe vera, guar hydroxy... or polyquats which my hair doesn't like. I know Shea Moisture is popular, but I rather don't have shea butter in shampoos because I'm afraid that one will build up too.
I do have Ecosevi on the radar and she recently reformulated her shampoos without aloe.

Hildegarde
July 11th, 2020, 01:15 AM
If it’s working for you and your hair is balanced and doesn’t seem damaged I think it should be fine. My hair never felt particularly damaged a while back when I was using a clarifying shampoo somewhat regularly, maybe every week or other week. It wasn’t great for my hair overall, it felt overclean and*fluffy and less defined, which made it tangle easier i think throughout the week. However on the other hand my hair is of a lower porosity so gentle shampoos can be too gentle and leave buildup which also leads to dryness. If you’re concerned I would just stop using it for a few weeks and see if the difference is notable.

YvetteVarie
July 11th, 2020, 02:28 AM
I am a kinky-curly-coily head and my hair and scalp thrive best when I clarify and deep condition weekly. But since it's winter here, I'm washing fortnightly and my hair is not happy about it

TinaRider
July 11th, 2020, 08:36 AM
I wash my 2c hair every 4 days. I use ph-neutral sulfate free unscented ''shampoo'' (it's DM's Jessa sensitive intimate wash). Nothing else. No conditioner, no gel, no moose, no oil. My hair is completely healthy and waves beautifully with no frizz. And it's pretty much always clean which I love. :pegasus: