PDA

View Full Version : Should I do protein masks?

natasha1992
July 9th, 2020, 03:54 PM
Hi, i visit this forum often but seldom post. I have had long hair all of my life, but never gave it any special attention until this January, when I switched to a Tek wooden brush, cut out sulphates and silicones, used a mask once a week, apple xider vinegar rinses, shower filters, and satin pillows. My hair feels amazing, and is so soft and shiny.

My question is, I know it is super moisturised and glossy, but does it need a protein mask? I read that you can get protein overload, which worries me. My hair is very soft. The strand test I find hard to figure out.

Can i cause any damage by doing a banana, avocado, and coconut oil, mask? Should I be doing regular protein masks?

Thanks for the help!

lapushka
July 9th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Welcome on your first couple of posts.

What's your routine like? I mean how often you wash, the products (names, brands) you use, what methods you use for washing. The texture of your hair. It's all a guessing game if we don't know this, for us.

natasha1992
July 9th, 2020, 04:18 PM
Welcome on your first couple of posts.

What's your routine like? I mean how often you wash, the products (names, brands) you use, what methods you use for washing. The texture of your hair. It's all a guessing game if we don't know this, for us.

Sorry, yes, that would have been helpful! You can tell I'm a newbie! Thank you for your kind welcome.

I wash my hair every 3 or 4 days with Tree to Tub natural soapberry shampoo, usually lavender, but occasionally peppermint for a supposedly clarifying wash. I follow that with conditioner, and this is always Garnier Hair Food/ Ultimate Blends natural conditioner, either banana, papaya, or aloe vera. The masks I use weekly are of the same variety. I use argan oil, too.

My hair is waist to hip length, thick, and straight.

lapushka
July 9th, 2020, 04:28 PM
I think you're good. Normally these masks are quite well-balanced and should do for your hair. There is no need to DIY things (and try getting "real" banana out of your hair, I did that once, and... never again), really, unless you want to make it a pamper session or something along those lines. :)

Sounds OK to me. I wouldn't change a thing!

natasha1992
July 9th, 2020, 04:30 PM
I think you're good. Normally these masks are quite well-balanced and should do for your hair. There is no need to DIY things (and try getting "real" banana out of your hair, I did that once, and... never again), really, unless you want to make it a pamper session or something along those lines. :)

Sounds OK to me. I wouldn't change a thing!

Thank you so much for your help. I'm still quite new to these things, and am learning so much. My hair has never felt healthier.

I'll perhaps leave the DIY masks to the YouTubers!

sipnsun
July 10th, 2020, 06:34 AM
My hair likes a protein mask on occasion but I have high porosity hair. If your hair is shiny and healthy with your current routine, I have to agree with lapushka to not change it. Sounds like you are doing everything right! :p

Mariekeeee14
July 10th, 2020, 07:52 AM
Maybe you SHOULD not do it but you COULD if you want to:) Experimenting is fun!:o

lapushka
July 10th, 2020, 10:04 AM
My hair likes a protein mask on occasion but I have high porosity hair. If your hair is shiny and healthy with your current routine, I have to agree with lapushka to not change it. Sounds like you are doing everything right! :p

Yes if it works, don't mess with it.

For years I went against the grain and just tried and tried stuff while a simple routine actually sufficed. Silly me. :lol:

natasha1992
July 10th, 2020, 11:22 AM
Thank you, I really appreciate the answers. I think I must have been overthinking it!

Jo Ann
July 10th, 2020, 08:33 PM
I agree with the others--if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Your hair appears to like what you're doing to it now, so I wouldn't change a thing.

I didn't need to use a protein mask until I started bleaching my hair and use one about every six weeks or so. As long as you're not doing anything that harms your hair (bleaching, box dye, heat styling, and the like), I wouldn't go near a protein treatment.

Dark40
July 12th, 2020, 10:25 AM
Hi, i visit this forum often but seldom post. I have had long hair all of my life, but never gave it any special attention until this January, when I switched to a Tek wooden brush, cut out sulphates and silicones, used a mask once a week, apple xider vinegar rinses, shower filters, and satin pillows. My hair feels amazing, and is so soft and shiny.

My question is, I know it is super moisturised and glossy, but does it need a protein mask? I read that you can get protein overload, which worries me. My hair is very soft. The strand test I find hard to figure out.

Can i cause any damage by doing a banana, avocado, and coconut oil, mask? Should I be doing regular protein masks?

Thanks for the help!

I agree with lapushka and the rest but I always use a protein mask sometimes after every wash! And, that's two or three times a week. If you like using banana I would recommend getting you some Garnier Fructis Banana Hair Mask. I really love that stuff! But you are very right on what has been said about you can get a protein overload if you apply too much protein to your hair. As far as protein treatments I only do them once or twice a month. I use a light protein/moisturizing deep conditioner. This type you can use it every week! My hair type is 2c/3a but I relax it twice a year, and now my length is between waist and hip length. I am hoping to be hip length at the end of this year. My hair is also thick too! Even when it's straightened to type 2a it's still thick!