PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Hair Canopy?

TX Curls
July 8th, 2020, 08:04 AM
The top canopy layer of my hair is damaged -- past highlights, heat, pulling it back, the elements, etc., etc. I have had it frequently trimmed (as well as the overall length) and have worked with masks and treatments to help restore it. I am now wondering if I should just cut it into a short bob which would remove most (if not all) of the last remaining bits of damaged hair. On one hand, I am not sure I want to lose the length I do have, but on the other hand I would then be starting with a clean slate from this point forward. Thoughts?

florenonite
July 8th, 2020, 08:10 AM
What about trying microtrimming? You trim off a small amount (less than half a centimetre) every month or two so your hair continues to grow but you gradually remove the damage. You can even try maintaining at your current length by trimming a little more each month until the damage is gone, then growing from there.

sipnsun
July 13th, 2020, 05:22 PM
That is such a hard decision and although I can't tell you what you should do, I can share my experience and choice with the same problem. My top layer is dry and damaged from years of highlighting it. I can't bring myself to cut it because the hair underneath is in great shape. Layers look horrible in my fine thin hair so that's not really an option either. For the time being, I'm concentrating on deep conditioning and oiling the top layer each night. I also S&D weekly to get rid of split ends. Like florenonite mentioned, micro trimming is great for removing damage without sacrificing length all at once. I wish I had better advice but time is definitely your friend during this journey.

TX Curls
July 22nd, 2020, 07:10 AM
I has a hair appointment yesterday, and my stylist cut my layers shorter -- which has helped to remove some of the most heavily damaged, dry bits. She then just trimmed the overall length a bit. Right now, it feels a bit healthier, but I will have to evaluate over the next few days to see how it moves/lays/etc. I have been doing the deep conditioning treatments and trying to minimize day product use and other hair "stressors."

Thank you for your advice and input, all.

Obsidian
July 22nd, 2020, 08:05 AM
Have you tried a protein treatment? Chemically damaged hair often needs protein just as much, if not more than moisture.
The aphogee 2 step is highly recommended. You can get it at Sally's

TX Curls
July 22nd, 2020, 10:18 AM
I will definitely have to check out the aphogee -- thanks so much for the recommendation!