PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard of sebum cure ?

GoldenRussian
July 8th, 2020, 01:36 AM
I couldn't find anything in English about it. Sebum cure consists of letting your hair benefit from the sebum, for a determined amount of time. Sebum cure is mostly known to be done for a whole month. No shampoo, no washing. Twice a day, you have to use a BBB and brush from roots to length to distribute the oils. The goal is to let it go down to your ends. People who have done it noticed increased hair growth, hair getting less greasy, less hair loss, more volume, more shine. Basically, nopoo but without the washes. Have you heard about it ?

Lucy McLucyFace
July 8th, 2020, 01:47 AM
Is this like the No Water/Sebum Only? https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145256

Though it sounds like you're talking about a temporary experiment rather than a permanent routine

GoldenRussian
July 8th, 2020, 01:56 AM
Is this like the No Water/Sebum Only? https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145256

Though it sounds like you're talking about a temporary experiment rather than a permanent routine

Yes, that's it. Temporary. I personally prefer washing my hair less and let it get greasy on a more frequent basis, than do a month of this then go back to an usual bad routine...

lapushka
July 8th, 2020, 02:40 AM
Can't say I have heard of it, no. Is it an old thing, or a new trend that has cropped up due to the pandemic?

I don't think I could do it. Most I lasted was 14 days and after doing that for a while (medical thing, I had no choice but to let my hair go for 14 days when previously I washed 2 to 3 times a week) I got a seborrheic dermatitis bout something fierce. Yes I had the lot. Big flakes, and red spots on the scalp that itched like you wouldn't believe! OMG. That's a no for me.

Others might have some success though, maybe people with less oily hair. And my hair is pretty much "normalized" now as I can go a week without washing... the norm for me.

My mom can do this no problem. She even goes 2 months. :p ;) But my mom is a little unicorn with her dry hair.

The Lizard Wife
July 8th, 2020, 10:18 PM
I haven't heard of that exactly. But it sounds kind of like what I do with stretching my washes. I only wash my hair about once a month. In between washes, I let it get oily with sebum. I personally don't use my BBB very frequently anymore, so it does take a while for the sebum to make it to the ends of my hair.

I haven't noticed any change in growth. My hair does take a little longer to get greasy than it used to, and looks much nicer when it does get greasy (though I think with my hair, that's because I went sulfate and silicone free and the sebum alone has a nicer look and feel than "sebum caked on top of silicones"). The sebum gives it good shine, but also makes it look perpetually wet. It definitely doesn't give me more volume! My hair doesn't get stringy with sebum the way it did when I used cones, but it still gets really flat. I've started to forget how thick my hair is until after I've washed it again and it's all fluffed up again.

The real benefit to this routine for me is that it's helped with my dry scalp issues. Because washing irritates my scalp, washing only once a month really cuts down on my itchiness and flakiness. (I assume because my scalp is happier, I have less hair loss? I didn't used to pay attention to how much I shed before I started this method, but now that I am paying attention I know that I hardly shed. But that might just be a quirk of my hair rather than a benefit of this routine.)

meepster
July 9th, 2020, 12:50 AM
Tried it and got crazy itching and greasiness and flaking. My hair was fine, but my scalp definitely wasn’t.

Aredhel
July 9th, 2020, 09:51 AM
I feel like certain scalp/hair types are definitely more built for this kinda thing than others. A guy I'm seeing (with long hair) swore by this method back when he worked at a camp as a young adult, where they didn't have much running water and had to make do with the lake. Eventually his scalp just acclimated to it, and his hair was apparently the healthiest it had ever been back then... his hair is about a 2b/2c/M and iii in thickness though. This would never work on my hair, my scalp literally hurts if I wait longer than a week to wash!

GoldenRussian
July 11th, 2020, 10:39 AM
Can't say I have heard of it, no. Is it an old thing, or a new trend that has cropped up due to the pandemic?

It gained popularity due to the pandemic but it was known well before that by some hair enthusiastics. I know it from years ago, but it recently blew up.

lapushka
July 11th, 2020, 12:01 PM
It gained popularity due to the pandemic but it was known well before that by some hair enthusiastics. I know it from years ago, but it recently blew up.

I bet! :) Have you tried it, or are you wanting to?

Hairkay
July 12th, 2020, 01:09 PM
That would be the Sebum only thread for just brushing the hair without washing. Others like me go for water only washing. Hair gets water rinsed very often even daily. With that the scalp is massaged and the hair is preened to distribute the sebum down the hair. I went for this because I was already in the habit of daily rinses all I had to do to change was skip the shampoo bit. I'm also allergic to shampoo and all soaps. Keeping the sebum means I don't have to worry about needing product to keep my hair from getting too dry.