PDA

View Full Version : Which clarifying method is most gentle: CWC, mix shmpoo w/ condish, or diluted 'poo?

Fimu
July 5th, 2020, 04:48 AM
My ends tend to be prone to build-up (either product or mineral deposit) and I'm trying to find ways to remove product build-up with a cleanser, yet not stripping all the oils of my hair (both natural and pre-pooed).
I have an SLES shampoo that does the job, but I only want to use it in "full power" once a month or less because it dries out my porous hair too much, despite pre-poo oil treatments, gaining good adsorption of conditioner and doing WCC after clarifying. I already tried ACV, but my ends still felt crunchy/stiff after using a 2% ACV concentration and a deep cleanse with a shampoo was more effective.

I don't feel like buying a gentle low-poo for rotation until my wash routine gets more robust and learn better how to address build-up without too much stripping.

I've already read about the CWC and WCC methods, but what about other methods, such as mixing conditioner with shampoo in your hands or making a separate dilution of your clarifying shampoo?

Mariekeeee14
July 5th, 2020, 08:04 AM
If CWC and WCC aren’t cutting it, why not both? I’ve done CWCC multiple times, perhaps that would help? I’ve read it helps to break down oil on hair if you leave your conditioner on for more than 10 minutes, could that help?

lapushka
July 5th, 2020, 04:42 PM
Agree ^^. You can be as creative as you want, especially nice if your hair needs a lot of moisture. If CWC or WCC alone won't cut it, that is. It is also very easy to weigh hair down, so be careful of that.

Well, that being said, I like my hair weighed down a bit, otherwise I get... *poof*. And I don't like that. But WCC seems to be "just right" for me for that purpose alone. Along with the LOC method after, that is!

Firefox7275
July 5th, 2020, 07:54 PM
The first two options are not clarifying methods, they are DIY conditioning or 2-in-1 shampoos.

Mixing anionic detergents and certain cationic conditioning agents is a risk for creating a complex that will deposit on your hair.

Probably the best way to remove build up without cleansing your hair any more than is necessary is to target the clarifying/ chelating ingredients at the specific deposit you suspect.

See sectiom 3, V and VI
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=53uCDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/cationic-compounds-in-cosmetics.html

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/shampoos-which-remove-product-build-up.html

Fimu
July 6th, 2020, 12:35 AM
The first two options are not clarifying methods, they are DIY conditioning or 2-in-1 shampoos.

Mixing anionic detergents and certain cationic conditioning agents is a risk for creating a complex that will deposit on your hair.

Thanks for the heads up! Then to be safe, I will choose to make a dilution of my shampoo in a separate bottle and do generous pre-poo and the WCC method.

In the meantime, I have to look for a gentle shampoo with amphoteric/nonoionic detergents only without build-up provoking ingredients.

lapushka
July 6th, 2020, 01:29 AM

If you are talking at all about WCC. I clarify with a sulfate, weekly. It's all in what shampoo you use. And I don't let conditioner touch my scalp.

florenonite
July 6th, 2020, 06:13 AM
If you are talking at all about WCC. I clarify with a sulfate, weekly. It's all in what shampoo you use. And I don't let conditioner touch my scalp.

WCC and CWC aren't the same thing, though; with CWC you leave conditioner on your hair while you shampoo, so the length isn't being clarified as the hair is already coated in conditioner.

lapushka
July 6th, 2020, 07:02 AM
WCC and CWC aren't the same thing, though; with CWC you leave conditioner on your hair while you shampoo, so the length isn't being clarified as the hair is already coated in conditioner.

The scalp is though, which is where it kind of counts. But I see your point! :)

florenonite
July 6th, 2020, 07:05 AM
The scalp is though, which is where it kind of counts. But I see your point! :)

It's the same for the scalp, but typically the goal with clarifying is to shampoo all the hair to remove build up from the length, which is why CWC doesn't work for clarifying :)

lapushka
July 6th, 2020, 08:13 AM
It's the same for the scalp, but typically the goal with clarifying is to shampoo all the hair to remove build up from the length, which is why CWC doesn't work for clarifying :)

I kind of forget that I don't bring my conditioners up to my scalp at all. Others might do.

florenonite
July 6th, 2020, 08:33 AM
I kind of forget that I don't bring my conditioners up to my scalp at all. Others might do.

It's not about bringing the conditioner up to the scalp, but about bringing the shampoo down the entire length to remove conditioner *from the length*. When you clarify you want to remove build up from ALL the hair, not just the scalp, so it doesn't work if you have conditioner coating the length to protect it from the shampoo, as in CWC.

Fimu
July 6th, 2020, 10:37 AM
My intention behind CWC was to reduce the clarifying strength while removing build-up, because I suspect that for my hair there's a fine line between removing enough build-up and over-clarifying (despite practicing pre-poo and deep conditioning). It's more about removing the build-up on my length than degreasing scalp (my scalp tends to feel dry instead).

But I will try diluted shampoo instead to avoid the risk of possible chemical reactions between the shampoo anionics and the conditioner cationics.

I hope this clarifies a bit, haha :P