PDA

View Full Version : What’s more important to you? Strength or Elasticity?

AutobotsAttack
July 2nd, 2020, 10:45 PM
This is under the guise that you’d have to pick either or. In the real world, of course hair health favors a good balance of both. But you know...those times where your hair isn’t as you want, or you’re finding you need to up the ante on something in your routine that you tend to favor more of, or perhaps your particular type of hair thrives more from either of the two mentioned.

For me personally, I often flock towards elasticity. My hair is quite fine as is, it’s even more fragile being chemically processed. Usually if I focus on strength, it’s quite easy for me to approach using too much protein, or my hair easily becomes way too stiff.

Even if I’m lacking in protein, or can’t seem to get my hands on a decent strengthening treatment, so long as I keep my hair moisturized as much as possible I can usually skate around most issues. Everything from knots to tangles, and breakage. I’ve got a gentle touch most times, but there’s times where I’m rushing or just straight up not wanting to deal with my hair. If my hair at least has a decent amount of stretch or give to it, when I go to touch it or manipulate it, I find that my length retention is fairly good.

lapushka
July 3rd, 2020, 02:00 PM
My hair is "normal", so not overly strong or overly elastic. Yes, I had the elastic-y feeling when I had bleach in my hair. OMG... terrible and would not wish it upon anyone. I am so glad I went all virgin. <sigh of relief>

If I had to choose, I guess I would go with strength!

Dark40
July 3rd, 2020, 02:14 PM
Elasticity is more important to me than strength. Especially, when you have chemically processed hair like me too.

KokoroDragon
July 3rd, 2020, 03:14 PM
Elasticity for me! My hair is fine, and gets protein overload fairly easily. I love having enough elasticity to my hair that it doesn't snap off too easily.

CuteCrow
July 3rd, 2020, 07:07 PM
Not sure what's the difference. I feel like elastic hair is stronger isn't it? As in, the more your hair can stretch the stronger it is. I feel like my hair is fragile because it can't be stretched too far before breaking. So I guess I'll choose elasticuty

AutobotsAttack
July 14th, 2020, 01:03 AM
Not sure what's the difference. I feel like elastic hair is stronger isn't it? As in, the more your hair can stretch the stronger it is. I feel like my hair is fragile because it can't be stretched too far before breaking. So I guess I'll choose elasticuty

Technically speaking elasticity is the ability of the hair to stretch a certain amount and return to its former state (like a rubber band).

Strength refers to the integrity of the hair, I would even say involves keeping the structure of the hair intact. How well hair can withstand typical handling, brushing, styling, combing, etc.

To me at least, the two aren’t mutually exclusive. I don’t think you can have one without the other solely, but the two characteristics can be defined and separated when it comes to applying and identifying them.

sipnsun
July 14th, 2020, 05:45 AM
To me at least, the two aren’t mutually exclusive. I don’t think you can have one without the other solely, but the two characteristics can be defined and separated when it comes to applying and identifying them.

If we are defining them as separate characteristics then I would say strength would be my choice. Having super-fine hair that has to be treated like antique lace every day is frustrating. I would love to have a head full of strong hair that could take some abuse and still look great (my dbff)!

Fimu
July 14th, 2020, 10:02 AM
Strength because it would be great if I find out how I can reduce the amount of split ends through delaying cuticle wear.

CuteCrow
July 14th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Technically speaking elasticity is the ability of the hair to stretch a certain amount and return to its former state (like a rubber band).

Strength refers to the integrity of the hair, I would even say involves keeping the structure of the hair intact. How well hair can withstand typical handling, brushing, styling, combing, etc.

Oh, thank you for the clarification! I think I still feel I'd choose elasticity. I feel like my hair brittleness comes from not being elastic enough to withstand precisely the daily damage like bushing.

cathair
July 14th, 2020, 03:26 PM
I'd go strength. It makes me nervous when it stretches. I never know how far is too far. It seems to tangle more when it's stretchy on me and it's hard to get tiny tangles out because it keeps on stretching.

Reyn127
July 18th, 2020, 02:13 PM
This would be an interesting question for a poll!
I personally would go with strength. I just cannot stand when my hair is stretchy! It almost gives me the heeby jeebies