PDA

View Full Version : To layer, or not to layer?

ebillan
June 26th, 2020, 01:26 AM
I'm wonder what people's opinions are about layering very long hair.

My hair is about TBL (probably a little shorter now though since I trimmed it), and curly. Almost all the curly hair related resources online suggest layering and 'Diva cuts', which help make the curls bouncier and the hair look fuller. However I don't think any of these videos were intended for people with hair as long as mine, and I also worry that by adding layers to my hair I might end up with fairy-tale ends, which I don't really want.

What do you guys think? Do you, or have you had layers in your hair and how has it turned out?

florenonite
June 26th, 2020, 09:31 AM
I think a lot of advice about getting layers (for curly/wavy hair, for thick hair, etc.) assumes you wear your hair down most of the time. In my experience, layers tend to make my hair look better when it's loose, but I get thick chunks sticking out of braids and buns; given that I almost always wear my hair up out of the house after BSL or so, this means it looks its best when I'm home :p

I know there are others here who have layers and have no problem putting their hair up, though, so it might not be an issue for you.

jane_marie
June 26th, 2020, 09:36 AM
I'm going to agree with florenonite. Layers do amazing things for my hair when I keep it down most of the time but it's very problematic (for me at least) when I want to put it up. Before deciding to chop most of the layers off I couldn't have a decent looking braid and a cinnamon bun took a lot of extra anchoring. Other styles were near impossible for me.

That said, there are other members that have layers and love them like lapushka. Perhaps she'll see this thread and weigh in so you can see both sides. :)

Servana
June 26th, 2020, 11:00 AM
It really depends what type of layers you get. You definitely don't have to end up with fairytale ends if that's not what you want. That only really happens when you get v-shape layers.

For me, with thick wavy hair I don't like layers. The top layer always ends up puffy and frizzy, contrasting with the rest of my hair. It makes it look thicker as well.

It can be very nice to have a lot of face framing layers, though. I get my hair cut in a u-shape with layers only in the front and it's perfect. If you get layers cut in the back you can ask for just a few long layers and to keep your hair in a u-shape, not a v. That should be okay and make minimal difference, especially if your hair is TBL. You could get layers from waist down which could be really nice. And if you like it you can always add more layers.

As for the updos that everyone is mentioning, it shouldn't be too terrible if you just get a few long layers. It really only affects braids.

Sweet_Decadence
June 26th, 2020, 01:00 PM
Also in the 2c/3a club. I definitely think layers help my curls look there best but as my hair approaches BSL it's starting to look super weird from the back. I think it'll work if you have high density or thick hair but with my fine, low density hair it's starting to look really weird very quickly.

SleepyTangles
June 26th, 2020, 01:32 PM
I like layers, past waist they really help with body and wave definition, but after few months I grow tired of them: it's a bit inconvenient for self-trimming and dusting, and not so practical with updos.

AmaryllisRed
June 26th, 2020, 01:51 PM
I'm kind of ambivalent about them. (Helpful, I know.) My hair is fingertip length and the last six inches or so have layers that were done 3 1/2 years ago when my hair was above waist length. When my hair was shorter, they would always stick out of updos. They don't seem to so much anymore and they probably reduce the weight, which is good. I never wear my hair down, so how they look is irrelevant at this point. I used to think I would eventually chop off the layered portion but I just don't care that much anymore.

lapushka
June 26th, 2020, 05:00 PM
My hair is layered (waist/hip to classic), see signature. I use what is on YT known as the "unicorn" cut. On here it is known a "compact cut" because it is still according to the originating book, "Haircutting for dummies". It is a one snip cut. There's another method and a whole thread on this here:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138127&highlight=compact

Jane99
June 26th, 2020, 05:07 PM
I have damaged ends and can’t cut the splits/damage out of my layers. But I do prefer the body my hair has with the layers.

ebillan
June 27th, 2020, 12:07 PM
For me, with thick wavy hair I don't like layers. The top layer always ends up puffy and frizzy, contrasting with the rest of my hair. It makes it look thicker as well.

It can be very nice to have a lot of face framing layers, though. I get my hair cut in a u-shape with layers only in the front and it's perfect. If you get layers cut in the back you can ask for just a few long layers and to keep your hair in a u-shape, not a v. That should be okay and make minimal difference, especially if your hair is TBL. You could get layers from waist down which could be really nice. And if you like it you can always add more layers.

As for the updos that everyone is mentioning, it shouldn't be too terrible if you just get a few long layers. It really only affects braids.

I really like the look of a u-shape cut. I have some really short face-framing layers at the front, but once they've grown out I think that's what I'd like to do with my hair. I do worry about how much curlier my hair gets when I even cut a little bit of the length off, so I do worry that the layers may have a very different texture or something if I cut them too shot.

How layers would work with an updo was one of my original concerns with getting layers, which I completely forgot about until a few of you mentioned it. The comment about trimming dead ends is a good point too. It's starting to sound like it may be a bit more hassle than they're worth!

Thanks for the advice, everyone!