PDA

View Full Version : Oil cleansing method but for your scalp? oil lets talk!

Luna Starsetta
June 25th, 2020, 05:59 PM
hey all. i have been using oil on my ends for a few years now. however i have heard of oil cleansing for your face. has anyone tried it on the scalp? does it work? what oil worked if any? what was your experience? my husband has been my test dummy and found that argon oil works for his hair type and he can go longer between washes now that he massages the oil into his scalp then uses just water to rise it out while massaging the scalp. when the oil rinses out it runs over the length to condition the ends. he does this 2-3 times then does a full clarifying wash with shampoo and uses a few drops after to keep the length in good condition. how do you all use your oils?! lets talk about it!!:joy:

MusicalSpoons
June 25th, 2020, 06:14 PM
I love this idea but I didn't have the energy to keep it up on my face and I don't have the energy to properly try it on my scalp at all. I think co-washing is the closest I've got to the same principle, but I couldn't keep that up for various reasons either.

That's really cool that it works for your husband! Have you tried it yourself?

Firefox7275
June 25th, 2020, 07:21 PM
With OCM for the face - sometimes neck and chest too - the excess oil, dead skin and grime is removed with a cloth (terry, muslin, etc). There is a fair bit of friction which could damage hair over time.

The 'modified' version of OCM has an emulsifier (ingredient that mixes oil and water) added to the oil to help it rinse completely clean with less friction. As already noted conditioner-only washing is comparable because it also works by emulsification.

Pre-wash oil treatments can of course be done before CO-washing. I use coconut oil - hair not scalp - to reduce porosity, as in the published research.

Many of us who co-wash combine cleansing and detangling in one step, but that haircare product is rinsed clean with gentle massage. Conditioning itself is a separate step.

HTH!

Luna Starsetta
June 25th, 2020, 07:32 PM
musicalspoons i may be doing so shortly i am trying to minimize the need for extra steps just trying to simply my right now very complex hair routine.

Luna Starsetta
June 25th, 2020, 07:38 PM
With OCM for the face - sometimes neck and chest too - the excess oil, dead skin and grime is removed with a cloth (terry, muslin, etc). There is a fair bit of friction which could damage hair over time.

The 'modified' version of OCM has an emulsifier (ingredient that mixes oil and water) added to the oil to help it rinse completely clean with less friction. As already noted conditioner-only washing is comparable because it also works by emulsification.

Pre-wash oil treatments can of course be done before CO-washing. I use coconut oil - hair not scalp - to reduce porosity, as in the published research.

Many of us who co-wash combine cleansing and detangling in one step, but that haircare product is rinsed clean with gentle massage. Conditioning itself is a separate step.

HTH!

i am not familiar with OMC what does it stand for? co washing doesn't feel clean enough to me and castile soap feels too clean. so right now i am trying to abstain from any products as i just did a hard reset with castile soap. only thing i have in my hair right now is rose water and some argon oil on the length. i am going to try this soon just trying to get opinions on here to see if anyone has first hand experience with this method.

Firefox7275
June 25th, 2020, 08:45 PM
i am not familiar with OMC what does it stand for? co washing doesn't feel clean enough to me and castile soap feels too clean. so right now i am trying to abstain from any products as i just did a hard reset with castile soap. only thing i have in my hair right now is rose water and some argon oil on the length. i am going to try this soon just trying to get opinions on here to see if anyone has first hand experience with this method.

Oil Cleansing Method = OCM.

You are confusing oil rinsing/ rinse out oil (ROO) or oil scalp massages with the OCM. In the OCM the cleansing oil is thoroughly removed.

Amenahh
June 26th, 2020, 03:00 AM
Oil Cleansing Method = OCM.

You are confusing oil rinsing/ rinse out oil (ROO) or oil scalp massages with the OCM. In the OCM the cleansing oil is thoroughly removed.

ROO isn't completely removed when washing? I'm confused as well

lapushka
June 26th, 2020, 03:49 AM
ROO isn't completely removed when washing? I'm confused as well

Since the oil is applied *after* washing, of course it is not totally removed, that is why I always say "less is more". You do rinse it out, but a bit is left behind, and you don't want to end up an oil slick.

Feral_
June 26th, 2020, 04:38 AM
Not tried OCM on hair but I do it on my face and have done for decades. When I was a teen my friend used sweet almond oil as a cleanser, as her mum did, so I tried it and here we are today. Never had breakouts or pore problems just dewy, hydrated skin.

Fimu
June 26th, 2020, 05:46 AM
Never tried OCM on my scalp, but I've been looking for oil-rich shampoo. The only unsaponified oil-rich shampoo I've found so far is the shampoo from Ecosevi. Haven't bought it yet, though.

You can click on Lapushka's sig to find more about the Rinse-out oil method, which is usually done after cleansing with regular shampoo.

Amenahh
June 26th, 2020, 06:12 AM
Since the oil is applied *after* washing, of course it is not totally removed, that is why I always say "less is more". You do rinse it out, but a bit is left behind, and you don't want to end up an oil slick.

Oh, I had never realised that with ROO, the oil goes after the shampoo.
Thanks lapushka, I'll actually look into that now.

lapushka
June 26th, 2020, 07:12 AM
Oh, I had never realised that with ROO, the oil goes after the shampoo.
Thanks lapushka, I'll actually look into that now.

:thumbsup: I already saw you in the ROO thread, check out what I wrote there before you do it! :)

jane_marie
June 26th, 2020, 08:01 AM

Yes, this. About a week ago I thought it would be a brilliant idea to give myself a JBCO and peppermint eo scalp massage, leave it on overnight then try to remove it with a CO wash. I probably put 2 tablespoons of JCBO on my head at once.

As it turns out... not so brilliant. I had to break my CO wash streak to get it out. :neutral:

Not so brilliant after all. Less is more.

MusicalSpoons
June 26th, 2020, 08:29 AM
Yes, this. About a week ago I thought it would be a brilliant idea to give myself a JBCO and peppermint eo scalp massage, leave it on overnight then try to remove it with a CO wash. I probably put 2 tablespoons of JCBO on my head at once.

As it turns out... not so brilliant. I had to break my CO wash streak to get it out. :neutral:

Not so brilliant after all. Less is more.

Eek! You could probably try it with a lighter oil, but castor oil is in a category of its own :bigeyes:

jane_marie
June 26th, 2020, 08:38 AM
Eek! You could probably try it with a lighter oil, but castor oil is in a category of its own :bigeyes:

On the plus side my new growth is looking super healthy now that I have managed to get all of the JCBO out. :lol:

Servana
June 26th, 2020, 11:07 AM
If your scalp is okay with it then I don't see why not. I tried it on my face for a while and it was breakout city 🙃

Also gave it a go on my scalp once using 1 drop of peppermint oil (forgot to use carrier/didn't have one) and that was a big no. But sweet almond oil sounds like it won't be an irritant. Just have to make sure you get it all out so you don't get clogged follicles.

Bri-Chan
June 26th, 2020, 02:36 PM
My scalp used to like it a lot. It's prone to dry dandruff and I remember that when things get worse, I did a scalp massage with castor oil. An extremely gently massage, and then I let it in hair for about half hour. Then, a good shampoo. My scalp was clean but not dry.

Flittingsis
March 16th, 2021, 10:50 AM
I always want this to work, but it never does for me. I use the OCM on all my other skin. I would love to have only one thing to clean and moisturize head to toe. I'd love for that thing to also be minimal, edible ingredients.
When I do try this (because I've forgotten how poorly it worked the previous times) I use probably 20 drops of whatever oil combo. Drop by drop onto the finger tips then massage it into the scalp. I usually let it set for at least an hour then rinse it out. There's always some left so I have to use some other washing method to remove the excess.
Rn my scalp is making enough oil on it's own, I just need to keep it moving.
Sesame oil was the best for me. It seemed to soak up the most.