PDA

View Full Version : Stringy Hair and Shampoo Bars

KokoroDragon
June 21st, 2020, 01:38 PM
So, I'm trying to produce less waste with my hair products. As a result, a few weeks ago I switched from Giovanni tea tree shampoo to a locally made tea tree shampoo bar. At first I loved it, but my hair got progressively stringier the longer I used it. It felt a little greasy, or like it never fully dried. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Today I washed with the last of my Giovanni shampoo, and my hair is back to normal - it feels clean and not stringy at all.

squirrrel
June 21st, 2020, 01:51 PM
Hey... not sure if you have seen it, but if we are talking about shampoo made with Lye we have the shampoo bar thread, with a lot of information about different peoples experiences using them: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74

Feral_
June 21st, 2020, 02:20 PM
So, I'm trying to produce less waste with my hair products. As a result, a few weeks ago I switched from Giovanni tea tree shampoo to a locally made tea tree shampoo bar. At first I loved it, but my hair got progressively stringier the longer I used it. It felt a little greasy, or like it never fully dried. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Today I washed with the last of my Giovanni shampoo, and my hair is back to normal - it feels clean and not stringy at all.

I used shampoo bars before I went WO and they certainly vary in quality depending on ingredients. I settled on a Bastille soap bar, all natural stuff, no palm oil etc. But I had to do a slightly acidic rinse afterwards or it left my hair feeling dry and waxy. I used pure lemon juice diluted in distilled water with some rosemary EO added, as conditioning rinse after washing with the shampoo bar. It was a game changer - my hair was so shiny and soft. It’s to do with the pH, soap being more alkaline. Rinsing in a slightly acidic solution normalises the pH.

Obsidian
June 21st, 2020, 09:06 PM
It could also be soap scum build up if you have hard water. Look into syndet shampoo bars, they are made with detergent not lye soap.
I get them from etsy, lush also has them but theirs are almost pure sls.

Servana
June 22nd, 2020, 08:12 AM
Yes I had the same problem when I tried using shampoo bars for almost a year. My hair progressively got greasier, more lank and clumped together... It was awful and I swore off shampoo bars forever after that.

I was using a few different bars, all from Lush. Now I realise other brands may have better ones, so don't be discouraged. I'm sure some LHC'ers have good recommendations. Maybe one day l'll even try them again. Happy with my organic sls-free shampoo for now, though.

Chromis
June 22nd, 2020, 09:32 AM
I get th4e greasy thing if I have put too much acid in my acidic rinse. With just the right amount, it is like magic, but if you go too far you lose the magic...

KokoroDragon
June 22nd, 2020, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Squirrel, I'll definitely check that thread out!

I'm glad I'm not alone. I was using a vinegar rinse, so maybe it was that and not the soap? I'll have to give it another try :)

sipnsun
July 25th, 2020, 03:23 PM
I can definitely relate, I bought a honey shampoo bar from Lush and liked it at first. I used to shampoo several times per week and used it at every wash. After a few weeks I saw a pic of myself right after washing and drying and my clean hair looked greasy and stringy. Idk why it took seeing a picture of myself to notice it but no more poo bars for me since then. I didn't follow up with a vinegar rinse so that may have made a difference, just didn't know I was supposed to at the time.