PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp under bun

bparnell75
June 21st, 2020, 09:14 AM
Why does my scalp itch under my bun several times a day? I find my self looking for another stick to get underneath and scratch. The rest of the head is ok. Any one else have this problem. I seem to notice it most when I wear buns on top of my head.

MusicalSpoons
June 21st, 2020, 10:45 AM
Yes, and I've no idea why. I think I just assumed it's the same reason we sometimes get itches under clothing in other areas - whether recurrent locations, and/or just random places.

Linden
June 21st, 2020, 11:20 AM
This happens to me as well, but I just assumed it was another factor caused by my weird skin issues. I often grab another hair stick to get at scalp issues throughout the day.

enting
June 21st, 2020, 12:08 PM
I have a suspicion it may have to do with hair ends tickling or being pressed against the scalp.
Or maybe something to do with there being more pressure in that area.
Or something to do with lack of air flow right in that area.

I don't really know, but I sometimes get the same thing. When my hair is loose, the areas that are sparser itch, and I figure its because the hairs that are there are tickling or irritating the skin as they move around. Those areas of scalp also have issues though, so it could be a combination of factors.

squirrrel
June 21st, 2020, 12:29 PM
I figured it was temperature related: where the hair is gathered is warmer...

AmaryllisRed
June 21st, 2020, 12:54 PM
I don't know why but I get it, too. I guess maybe I notice more when it's right under my bun because I can't get to it easily. If it's elsewhere on my head I just scratch without thinking.

Firefox7275
June 21st, 2020, 02:09 PM
A key cause for me is traces of irritants on my hair or my scalp.

Why there? Extra contact, warmth, dampness.

lapushka
June 21st, 2020, 03:33 PM
Can't say I have that issue, no (thank goodness). This seems very annoying to me. I was also wondering if it wasn't because of the warmth. Do you notice this in certain seasons more than others, bparnell75?

Elodea
June 21st, 2020, 08:04 PM
I have a suspicion it may have to do with hair ends tickling or being pressed against the scalp.

I think this is what sometimes happens to me, but I've only noticed it when I wear double buns, not single buns.

Simsy
June 22nd, 2020, 12:00 AM
I get this at the back of my scalp, along with small, hard nubbins of gunk. A good scratch or a detangle will usually fix the problem. Mine is mostly because I don’t pull my bun down every day, so stuff tends to accumulate.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 22nd, 2020, 01:30 AM
I get this too, I'm not sure why. It's probably just because my hair wants to annoy me. :p

bparnell75
June 22nd, 2020, 10:31 AM
Can't say I have that issue, no (thank goodness). This seems very annoying to me. I was also wondering if it wasn't because of the warmth. Do you notice this in certain seasons more than others, bparnell75?

No, but I was wondering if it had to do with hair follicles being situated in directions other than downward.

enting
June 22nd, 2020, 11:58 AM
No, but I was wondering if it had to do with hair follicles being situated in directions other than downward.

I think that's plausible.

Shorty89
June 22nd, 2020, 12:46 PM
I get this in summer, mostly when I'm sweating underneath my bun. For me, it's scalp eczema and the sweat accumulating under my hair irritates my scalp. It's made worse if my hair is wet/damp.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2020, 07:16 AM

Hmm. :hmm: From my guess I would have said spring/summer would be the worst. But it's so odd that you get this year-round then. To me, at least. :)

draysmir
June 23rd, 2020, 07:46 AM

I think it may be partially to do with that. I get the same thing. I find my hair feels "weird" when I flip my hairline to the opposite side... I can see how that feeling could turn to itchiness if the hair wasn't in its normal position. Small hairs get pulled and loosened a bit in my bun as the day goes on. I wonder if the slight shifts in the placement of the bun contributes to the itching.

Also, my hair gets oily quickly. When I bun my hair, I feel like I am bringing all of the oils near my roots to one location. When my hair is too oily, it gets itchy. So I think bunning my hair makes the itchiness from oily hair happen faster in that specific area.