PDA

View Full Version : Hair won't stay in a style :(

June 20th, 2020, 07:49 AM
I have fine but thick (every strand is fine), oily/dry/hard to make look normal hair that gets curlier the longer it is. I'm growing out from extremely short and I'm trying to braid my hair... It stays sometimes but it eventually expands, poofs out and slips out of the braid. It's like it's both too poofy and too slick/slippery to stay. I need suggestions, I'd prefer to wear braids/twists/buns for extended periods of time, I don't really want to wear my hair loose... Loose I can only handle it in a buzzcut, lol.

I started braiding with my bangs, it poofs out and slips out...

Feral_
June 20th, 2020, 08:41 AM
Can you put some oil or conditioning type spray on the hair before you braid? The only reason I mention this is my hair keeps a braid or bun much better since going WO. My reasoning is the sebum seems to act like a ‘product’ in my hair and holds it. I realise this isn’t an option for most, which is why I mention oiling it.

lapushka
June 20th, 2020, 09:09 AM
I have fine but thick (every strand is fine), oily/dry/hard to make look normal hair that gets curlier the longer it is. I'm growing out from extremely short and I'm trying to braid my hair... It stays sometimes but it eventually expands, poofs out and slips out of the braid. It's like it's both too poofy and too slick/slippery to stay. I need suggestions, I'd prefer to wear braids/twists/buns for extended periods of time, I don't really want to wear my hair loose... Loose I can only handle it in a buzzcut, lol.

I started braiding with my bangs, it poofs out and slips out...

What length are you working with here?

enting
June 21st, 2020, 01:30 PM
What about braiding with a scarf or a paranda? Try different materials and see what might work best. I might try with cotton knit because it's both grabby and stretchy and therefore might handle your hair's slipperiness and poofiness well.

If it's still too poofy for that, it might just need more length to handle the poof. In that case I'd suggest combs, perhaps.

Simsy
June 22nd, 2020, 02:26 AM
My best suggestion would be to try braiding with a bit of oil or gel, just to help things stay put. Adding a scarf or bandana on top will reduce the poof a little and keep the braids contained a bit more for longer.

Other than that, you might just have to tough this out. It shouldn’t need much more length before things get easier, so hang in there.

June 24th, 2020, 03:49 PM
Can you put some oil or conditioning type spray on the hair before you braid? The only reason I mention this is my hair keeps a braid or bun much better since going WO. My reasoning is the sebum seems to act like a ‘product’ in my hair and holds it. I realise this isn’t an option for most, which is why I mention oiling it.

I just went back to WO... Last time I tried braiding was on shampooed hair, so maybe it'll be better this time :(. I'll try this before I put oil on them, I'm not sure if they tolerate oil anymore. Or maybe I should oil them... But I don't want oil on pillows, etc.

enting, I want small braids, like, cornrows, because my hair is short. I doubt I'd be able to stuck a scarf in there xDD. Maybe into one big braid, but not into small ones.

Thanks, Simsy.

Simsy
June 27th, 2020, 10:41 PM
, I want small braids, like, cornrows, because my hair is short. I doubt I'd be able to stuck a scarf in there xDD. Maybe into one big braid, but not into small ones.

Thanks, Simsy.

I was thinking more like wrapping a scarf around the whole lot, like
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRUMQPEI_RKr65KAhhpY83e1LH4263 NKXwdPA&usqp=CAU
Or
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRGBgSSMYr4N7K41N2pONB5TjbPIQj Z-BGd3A&usqp=CAU

This was my personal survival strategy from ear to about waist, while I figured out how one actually handled curls.

Ragtatter
June 28th, 2020, 12:22 AM
I also find scarves can help keep loose hair off the back of your neck, which was a real lifesaver when mine was shoulder-length and I could barely tolerate it.

hannabiss
June 29th, 2020, 10:33 AM
I find for my fine strands that I have to put it up while it's wet. Or it just slips right out. But I know some people don't want to put up their hair wet.

August 9th, 2020, 12:03 PM
I was thinking more like wrapping a scarf around the whole lot, like
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRUMQPEI_RKr65KAhhpY83e1LH4263 NKXwdPA&usqp=CAU
Or
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRGBgSSMYr4N7K41N2pONB5TjbPIQj Z-BGd3A&usqp=CAU

This was my personal survival strategy from ear to about waist, while I figured out how one actually handled curls.

So cute! xD I absolutely adore scarves. But they instantly make my hair oily. Is there something I can use that'll let my hair stay clean? It also can get too hot in summer... So I find I have problems with wearing them for too long in summer. And can't put up like that for bathing, and that's my biggest problem. I like scarves, though, very healthy for the hair <3

shelomit
August 9th, 2020, 07:22 PM
So cute! xD I absolutely adore scarves. But they instantly make my hair oily. Is there something I can use that'll let my hair stay clean? It also can get too hot in summer... So I find I have problems with wearing them for too long in summer. And can't put up like that for bathing, and that's my biggest problem. I like scarves, though, very healthy for the hair <3

I wear scarves pretty much daily, for religious/cultural reasons. If you are having trouble with your hair getting oily under the scarf, it is probably not breathing enough to keep your scalp happy. What kind of fabric are your scarves made of? Silk has a great reputation for being good on hair, but unless it's very loosely woven, it will get hot under there. It is often possible to pick up scarves cheaply at thrift stores. Look for some more loosely woven cotton ones, and perhaps also in a smaller size (so that you don't have to double the fabric up to make it fit your head). These scarves (https://wrapunzel.com/store/wrapunzel-israeli-tichels-gold-threads/)--this style, I mean, not necessarily the exact brand--can often be found in Middle Eastern shops and are very lightweight cotton. It also helps keep your head cooler if you tie the scarf so that no "tails" are hanging down over your shoulder or neck. If you tie a knot at the nape of the neck, you can tuck the extra "tail" behind the knot to keep it from dangling. You can also dip the scarf in water before putting it on in the morning, if you don't mind your hair getting a little wet. That way, it will evaporate as the day gets hotter and give you a little "air conditioning"!

When I take a bath and am not washing my hair, I usually just wear my scarf in the bath. I often tie it in a style like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-W0kCaNAi8). In the shower, I often just put a shower cap over whatever headscarf I have been wearing without bothering to actually take it off ( ;

hennalonghair
August 9th, 2020, 08:54 PM
I answered this in your other post but what I didn’t say is that I use scrunchies to tie my hair up. I first brush my hair into a pony tail by using a scrunchie, wet my hands and braid either one or two braids but make sure to leave lots of hair at the end; usually 8 to 10 inches. I scrunchie this off then wet the ends, wet my hands again and add a dollop of silicone free conditioner. My ends go all thick and curly and stay hydrated all day. I sometimes rebraid my hair during the day but often don’t. My hair stays put. When I put my hair up it is usually done with a ultra smooth 4 prong fork made by me or two diagonal acrylic sticks.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=152795&p=3806755#post3806755

sipnsun
August 10th, 2020, 06:01 AM
My hair is super fine and will only stay put with lots of oil, then I use aloe gel to smooth the extra fly aways in place. I've never found a style that would hold for me overnight though. I did buy a scarf so I could try to maintain a style while sleeping but it's been too hot here to wear it so will have to wait till cooler weather.

Fethenwen
August 11th, 2020, 05:16 AM
Saltwater spray might work well for you hair texture.

Simsy
August 11th, 2020, 09:05 PM

Having thought about it, I usually get too hot with the top of my head being covered as well. I used to wrap the scarf so the open section was on top. Your scalp should be able to breathe if you shift the style back a little further into the fabric, and it should prove a little cooler as the heat flows out from the top of the head. I used thin cotton scarves for mine, nothing thick or mostly synthetic if you have the option.

As for the oil issue; my only solution for that is to let the hair down for a few hours in the evening. That always dries my hair out quite nicely between wash days. Or you could embrace the oil and use it as the base for a long oil treatment...:)