PDA

View Full Version : It was only a matter of time

georgia_peach
June 19th, 2020, 12:00 PM
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/shorter-hairstyles-blowdry-covid-salons-18418545.amp?__twitter_impression=true.
My apologies if this has already been posted.

ETA: It seems that the gist of the article is that long hair is a problem for some salons due to the extended drying times, hot air flow, and *supposed* increased risk of COVID 19. However, the stylist also states that the long hair styles of "yesteryear" need to go away and people should embrace a shorter bobbed hairstyle.

Um....whatever. :rolleyes:

Tinyponies
June 19th, 2020, 12:11 PM
What fun. This article smells like a sensationalist story about a hairdresser who is in fear that a lot of people have realised they don’t need hairdressers, or dyes, during this time. They’d be right. :D It’s best to ignore it really.

SelenVinland
June 19th, 2020, 12:37 PM
I'll admit I have worried about virus particles clinging to my hair since I don't wash it every day anymore. But my understanding is that there hasn't really been any scientific research done on that so I'm skeptical that this random hairdresser knows for sure one way or another.

squirrrel
June 19th, 2020, 12:50 PM
Since when was a bob more glamorous? If you like it, fair enough. As far as I’m concerned they can go take a hike! *grumbles*. It’s the end of a long week. I guess I’m grumpy!? I certainly see your point Tinyponies... I suspect that enough people will want their highlights and trims that most hair dressers will be okay.

AmaryllisRed
June 19th, 2020, 12:57 PM
Boy, I'm not looking forward to the day when my hair gets too long to air dry.
:eye roll:

SleepyTangles
June 19th, 2020, 01:52 PM
Fun anecdote I've heard somewhere: Mary Quant was so disgusted by models' long hair touching her precious clothes, she used only ones with short or bobbed hair ;).

This said:
- short hair can be washed everyday, but so do hairwraps and turbans;
- bobs flap around much more than a nice, compact, secure bun
- I actually used to tell my hairdresser not to blowdry my hair, as I prefer to let it airdry.

meepster
June 19th, 2020, 02:22 PM
Umm, so that we can go to the hairdresser every 6 weeks to maintain the short haircut? Yeah, that sounds real safe.

Ylva
June 19th, 2020, 02:50 PM
I think the virus is weakened to about 10% of its "vitality" soon after landing on a surface other than, say, the lungs of a human. I don't think hair is much of a worry.

I did, however, recently share an article about hairdressers advocating short styles for COVID-safety, and declared Plaguebringer as my new title, alongside Pancake and Chocolate Master.

PallasAthena
June 19th, 2020, 03:00 PM
Honestly, I think hairdressers look for any excuse to make you think you need a high maintenance haircut. I know there are good, creative, hairdressers out there but most of them seem to really hate long hair and it is annoying.

Jools69
June 19th, 2020, 03:18 PM
I saw that article and my first thought is it’s hairdressers wanting to recoup their losses from being shut during the lockdown. If more people are having shorter styles, they’ll need to go to them more often.

Personally, I can’t see a problem with having long hair. Both the stylist and customer will be wearing masks; the stylist will probably also be wearing a face shield, too. They’ll only be at risk if the customer or stylist is infected. It’s only transmitted if someone sneezes or coughs - the ‘droplets’ only travel so far before they fall. They’ll probably encourage the customer to use hand sanitizer to prevent transference to surfaces they may touch. It’s unknown whether if hair can transfer the virus, but there has to be enough of the virus to contaminate surfaces to be able to past it on anyway.

So I think it’s a gimmick to get people to come more often for a cut to manage the shorter style, which just like Meepster said above, defeats the purpose of lesson the risk. Furthermore, there’s no scientific proof that the virus will be passed on quicker and easier with using a hairdryer!

primadonnamuch
June 19th, 2020, 04:24 PM
"Ricky Walters, founder of SALON64, says short hair is likely to lead to more face-touching – something which is discouraged by health experts. He tells Metro.co.uk: ‘Although shorter hair does sound like a great solution, any sort of layered bob can involve shorter pieces sliced through the hair. ‘These typically are batted away by clients and can result in involuntarily touching of one’s face.’ Ricky also highlights that hair cannot be tied up properly with a bob style – which could cause problems. ‘The luxury of being able to tie your hair up out the way into a tight pony tail will be gone and you may find being smothered by your hair is less hygienic than you first thought,’ he adds."

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/16/bob-actually-hygienic-haircut-12860793/?ito=cbshare
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

I just wanted to chime in with this piece, because I really enjoy the "clap back" of sorts from Ricky Walters in the second half of the article. I completely agree with him and what he is saying. My mother, a former longhair who went super-short about years ago, currently enjoys her pixie cut but because of the virus could not go in to get it cut by her stylist every two months like she used to. With her fast-growing hair she had a bob in no time at all, and hated it because it was always in her face and she kept having to push it being her ears or away from her glasses. She eventually got to the point that she started having to wear headbands because she was so annoyed, and then she hated headbands because they gave her a headache. I bought hair scissors to be able to cut her hair back to a pixie for her, and now she's happy with her hair again. If Tim Hartley was advocating for pixies I might understand, since that would definitely reduce styling and drying time AND reduce face-touching, but I do not agree that bobs are the answer. Silly hairstylist trickiness, I say.

primadonnamuch
June 19th, 2020, 04:31 PM
Sorry I can't edit posts yet, but I forgot to add that the article closes with saying that "while it seems blow drying a bob haircut could be significantly more hygienic for salons, the jury is still out on whether it’s better for customers." Which also kind of calls out salon hijinks.

Personally, I have a stylist at my salon who is wonderful at cutting my long hair, and likes working on it because she can charge me more per hour than she could a client with shorter hair. Since she is gentle with my hair and understands that 1/2" trim =/= 2" chop, I'm more than happy to pay her a higher rate.

AmaryllisRed
June 19th, 2020, 04:32 PM
Are people with long hair really having their hair blow-dried in salons for an hour?

MusicalSpoons
June 19th, 2020, 04:40 PM
What fun. This article smells like a sensationalist story about a hairdresser who is in fear that a lot of people have realised they don’t need hairdressers, or dyes, during this time. They’d be right. :D It’s best to ignore it really.

:applause:applause:applause:applause:applause: (I'd have put more in here but reached the image limit!)

I think the virus is weakened to about 10% of its "vitality" soon after landing on a surface other than, say, the lungs of a human. I don't think hair is much of a worry.

I did, however, recently share an article about hairdressers advocating short styles for COVID-safety, and declared Plaguebringer as my new title, alongside Pancake and Chocolate Master.

:spitting::rolling:

"Ricky Walters, founder of SALON64, says short hair is likely to lead to more face-touching – something which is discouraged by health experts. He tells Metro.co.uk: ‘Although shorter hair does sound like a great solution, any sort of layered bob can involve shorter pieces sliced through the hair. ‘These typically are batted away by clients and can result in involuntarily touching of one’s face.’ Ricky also highlights that hair cannot be tied up properly with a bob style – which could cause problems. ‘The luxury of being able to tie your hair up out the way into a tight pony tail will be gone and you may find being smothered by your hair is less hygienic than you first thought,’ he adds."

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/16/bob-actually-hygienic-haircut-12860793/?ito=cbshare

Oh thank goodness, some sense from a professional.

Excuse my language, but I was so incensed by the original article being such a mountain of bovine poop that I had to just put it out of my head. (Or, to quote everyone's favourite floating head computer, (https://tenor.com/view/tottenham-hotspur-red-dwarf-football-aload-of-rubbish-gif-15294918) "a load of Tottenham ... a steaming pile of Hotspur") Just ... the sheer audacity of preying on people's legitimate fear to try to bring people back into hair salons ... I am still speechless :steam

I just sit here with my hair permanently in a bun going 'HA! You think long hair is dirty, well it's a darned sight cleaner than your short hair waving about in the air ready to catch viral particles with all its exposed surface area :crazyq:'

meepster
June 19th, 2020, 07:12 PM
I have a bob-like thing on my head right now, from growing out my pixie, and I agree that it’s the most impossible stage of hair growth and leads to the most face-touching, annoyance, and general cursing. I take a walk outside in a windy location every day, and lately I’ve had to do absolutely crazy things to contain the hair (which is too short for a ponytail). I’ll throw myself a party when I finally reach the ponytail stage.

And also, maintaining a short bob requires regular hair salon visits, and every single one is a risk. And unlike longer hair, a short bob can’t be a DIY haircut.

jane_marie
June 19th, 2020, 07:15 PM
That's ridiculous. I'mm happy I don't cut hair anymore. My colleagues were jerks way back when but now they are turning into a-holes.

cjk
June 19th, 2020, 11:55 PM
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/shorter-hairstyles-blowdry-covid-salons-18418545.amp?__twitter_impression=true.

As a bearded man, all I can say is this. First time?

My personal favorite article stated that beards are filled with feces. Yeah. Riiiight...

Hair, real hair, whether it's on your head or on your face, is exposed to the environment. There's bacteria everywhere. Virus particles everywhere. And, naturally, its own microbiome as well.

Generally speaking if it's supposed to be there, it's not unhealthy.

squirrrel
June 20th, 2020, 12:26 AM
Honestly, I think hairdressers look for any excuse to make you think you need a high maintenance haircut. I know there are good, creative, hairdressers out there but most of them seem to really hate long hair and it is annoying.

That’s interesting... the few places I have been for cuts, the hairdressers lamented my choice to cut my ‘long’ (BSL, I think, though I was too young for a bra then) hair...

Feral_
June 20th, 2020, 02:09 AM
Are people with long hair really having their hair blow-dried in salons for an hour?

One time I was in the hairdressers there was a blonde haired woman having a full head of foils and her hair was longer than the chair she was sitting on. The hairdresser attending to her was sat rather awkwardly on the floor doing them. Her appointment took like forever lol. They said they wouldn't do her hair again :D

Jo Ann
June 20th, 2020, 02:18 AM

ETA: It seems that the gist of the article is that long hair is a problem for some salons due to the extended drying times, hot air flow, and *supposed* increased risk of COVID 19. However, the stylist also states that the long hair styles of "yesteryear" need to go away and people should embrace a shorter bobbed hairstyle.

OMG!! I'm laughing so hard at this Hartley guy! Yes, I read the article, and I'm thisclose to offering him some :cheese: to go with his whine :face:

hennalonghair
June 20th, 2020, 04:02 AM

That right. Except for the people going to the salon to have their hair dyed, the rest of us just chilled out during the pandemic including me. I just couldn’t relate. Yayyyyy! :joy:

Kat
June 20th, 2020, 08:54 AM

So... if they're worried about longer-haired people being there longer because of the drying time, are they also worried about people being there extended amounts of time for perms, dyeing, etc.? Or is all of that somehow magically okay? (Didn't click to read so maybe that is addressed.)

Luckily for hairdressers, I cut my own so I don't have to bring my plague-ridden self (or money) into their presence at all! You're right, hairdressers, what a great idea!

Umm, so that we can go to the hairdresser every 6 weeks to maintain the short haircut? Yeah, that sounds real safe.

Haha, good point.

Furthermore, there’s no scientific proof that the virus will be passed on quicker and easier with using a hairdryer!

I'm actually surprised they're not trying to claim it's safe to come in for a haircut because the dryer would kill the virus...

(Or, to quote everyone's favourite floating head computer,

Ha, I had assumed you meant Max Headroom (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092402/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)...

"With her fast-growing hair she had a bob in no time at all, and hated it because it was always in her face and she kept having to push it being her ears or away from her glasses. She eventually got to the point that she started having to wear headbands because she was so annoyed, and then she hated headbands because they gave her a headache. .

Yup. After having hair somewhere between chin and shoulder length for about 10 years (from about 4th grade until I decided to grow it in late high school), this is precisely why I decided to grow it. I couldn't *do* anything with it except let it just hang there. It would get in my face, could barely keep it behind my ears, wasn't long enough to pull back unless I wanted to do something weird with a headband or attempt a strange half-up, and yeah, would get caught on my glasses-- I'd often have a small piece that would catch the front of the arms and stick straight out from my face (got tired of my mom making jokes about "you've got tusks again!" {Here's a piece of advice for parents: if your teenaged child is awkward and unattractive, please don't make fun of their appearance in any way, even if you don't mean it in a mean way and think it's just funny.})

Feral_
June 20th, 2020, 09:02 AM
That right. Except for the people going to the salon to have their hair dyed, the rest of us just chilled out during the pandemic including me. I just couldn’t relate. Yayyyyy! :joy:

The female clients I’ve seen with recently their ‘real’ hair, ie 2” of grey roots is surprising. As a low maintenance person I had no idea so many dyed their hair! I don’t look any different lol.

lapushka
June 20th, 2020, 09:05 AM
This reminds me. My dad is no longer going to the hairdresser. :cheer:

But my mom is cutting it. :lol: ;)

He likes the way my mom did it last time, and she's doing it again 8 weeks later, so that means: next week. With a better in-between time, because it doesn't grow out as long as with the hair dresser (in back). Up top she didn't dare cut too much off last time, so that'll need to get tackled "big time" this time. He's now saying it's too long. :lol: Go figure.

Oh, you know, about the article. I'm past that stage of articles like that. It's no longer on my radar. I just don't pay it any mind, because frankly, it doesn't deserve attention at all (not kicking the OP for posting though, don't get me wrong). It's just in one ear, out the other... You know?

I've been cutting my hair myself (sometimes mom helps) for such a long time now. It's a layered cut, what the internet calls a unicorn cut. Very easy to do! And in between when it gets too long, Feye's to the rescue!

georgia_peach
June 20th, 2020, 09:45 AM

He likes the way my mom did it last time, and she's doing it again 8 weeks later, so that means: next week. With a better in-between time, because it doesn't grow out as long as with the hair dresser (in back). Up top she didn't dare cut too much off last time, so that'll need to get tackled "big time" this time. He's now saying it's too long. :lol: Go figure.

Oh, you know, about the article. I'm past that stage of articles like that. It's no longer on my radar. I just don't pay it any mind, because frankly, it doesn't deserve attention at all (not kicking the OP for posting though, don't get me wrong). It's just in one ear, out the other... You know?

I've been cutting my hair myself (sometimes mom helps) for such a long time now. It's a layered cut, what the internet calls a unicorn cut. Very easy to do! And in between when it gets too long, Feye's to the rescue! That's awesome about your dad, lapushka! Regarding the article, I hesitated to even post it for the very reasons you stated. But I guess it does still bother me a bit when information like that gets published. I need to just let that kind of stuff go and ignore it. :lala:

We've got more important things to focus on, like growing long, fabulous hair! :cool:

meepster
June 20th, 2020, 10:18 AM

I've been cutting my hair myself (sometimes mom helps) for such a long time now. It's a layered cut, what the internet calls a unicorn cut. Very easy to do! And in between when it gets too long, Feye's to the rescue!

My wife is not going to the hairdresser either. She has a very short hairstyle (short pixie cut) and I’ve been cutting it. I’ve given her two haircuts so far, and she seems pretty happy with it.

I figure it’s better to take our chances with an awful homemade haircut than with COVID. And to my surprise, it didn’t turn out all that awful anyway.

MeganAimee
June 21st, 2020, 09:28 PM
He basically said ... "have short hair to save our salon" & that not long hair isn't sexy? :confused:

Belgrade Beauty
June 22nd, 2020, 06:08 AM
This forum made me hate all of my hairdressers from past.... The more I read stuff and experiences here the more I literately hate people in that industry. Listen to this: "It is in vogue again now and is the only way for the industry to emerge from this Covid lockdown. It can be anything from shoulder length to below the ears, depending on how bold you want to be." And now they are trying to make us believe that short hair is healthier to have because of some virus pandemic? Hey! Here's a way of not transferring the virus to hairdressers and their other customers: don't go to hairdressers! Let your hair grow for a change? I'm sure no one will die if they don't cut for 6 months...boy this post made me angry...

Sparkles122
June 22nd, 2020, 11:55 AM
This forum made me hate all of my hairdressers from past.... The more I read stuff and experiences here the more I literately hate people in that industry. Listen to this: "It is in vogue again now and is the only way for the industry to emerge from this Covid lockdown. It can be anything from shoulder length to below the ears, depending on how bold you want to be." And now they are trying to make us believe that short hair is healthier to have because of some virus pandemic? Hey! Here's a way of not transferring the virus to hairdressers and their other customers: don't go to hairdressers! Let your hair grow for a change? I'm sure no one will die if they don't cut for 6 months...boy this post made me angry...

I agree with everything you said

Kat
June 22nd, 2020, 04:42 PM
"It is in vogue again now and is the only way for the industry to emerge from this Covid lockdown. It can be anything from shoulder length to below the ears, depending on how bold you want to be." .

Is that a "it's your duty to support us!" guilt trip??

Belgrade Beauty
June 22nd, 2020, 05:23 PM

Sure sounds like it! Never mind that people were left literally broke from this lockdown, lost jobs, bought food that had a 80 or more % spike in price, protective gear at a 200% spike of price. Never mind all that. Come and cut your hair, it's good for your health, you won't catch or transfer covid and also, we need the money! Besides, if Vogue said it fashionable, that means its a must! Fashion industry demands you to cut down to bob, we don't know what more do you need to know? Just come, give us 50$ to ruin you perfectly good hair with dye and a trim, and also we don't have to use that much electricity to blow dry it, you know that is a real pain in every hairdressers ass...
Just read the thing...You will be furious with the statements too...I was in shock to say the least...

"Hairdressing professionals including Tim are also concerned about the rise of the “home hairdressing” trend which has ballooned during the lockdown.Mr Hartley said: “A lot of people have been cheating with home hairdressing.

"I’m massively opposed to that. It lowers the standard of the industry big time. And also it’s a very dangerous thing to do health-wise."

He added: “Since people haven’t been spending vast fortunes on coffee, you can say to yourself that going to a master stylist at a top salon is the way forward. There is an option no matter what your budget is.""

Yeah, I've saved money for not buying coffee at Starbucks or whatever, so I'm going to give you that money, so you can go buy yourself another fancy car...Or whatever.

enting
June 22nd, 2020, 06:07 PM
A straightforward "we're afraid we're going to lose our income and be broke so please try to patronize us if you feel safe doing so, so we don't go under" the same as every other small business would have sufficed rather than a veiled guilt trip and fashion demand.

cjk
June 22nd, 2020, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the life of a bearded man! Of course the study was paid for by Gillette. And Remington.

https://i.imgur.com/mGqwjxf.jpg

meepster
June 22nd, 2020, 09:26 PM
Home hairdressing is dangerous to your health but going to a COVID infested salon isn’t?

auburntressed
June 23rd, 2020, 12:03 AM
He gave himself away when he said they can only fill 8 of their 20 seats due to social distancing. So they need to a faster turnover to break even.

Jo Ann
June 23rd, 2020, 12:29 AM
He basically said ... "have short hair to save our salon" & that not long hair isn't sexy? :confused:

These are the two points that were made in the article that had me laughing so hard.

I can understand Mr Hartley's wanting people to come back and have their hair done, but please, do NOT denigrate your customer's choice of hair style or preferred length. It reeks of his desperation to "save" his business and it puts a lot of people off coming to his establishment because it's creating a lot of doubt of whether the customer will get the service he/she wants versus what Mr Hartley will determine is "best" for his customer.

erebus
June 23rd, 2020, 03:59 PM
He said: "Shorter cuts allow people to air or finger dry their hair. It’s much sexier because there's a sense of freedom. With blow drys, if someone wants to touch your hair, they can't, because it is coiffured. That’s not sexy.”

So weird to imply that you can't touch long hair.

jane_marie
June 23rd, 2020, 04:35 PM
I really don't like the constant implication that "sexy" is best/most desired look anyway.

I would also prefer that people not blow dry my hair at the salon. I have waves and I want to leave your salon with my natural waves intact. :rolleyes:

Kat
June 23rd, 2020, 04:42 PM
So weird to imply that you can't touch long hair.

And so weird to imply that it's shorter hair that's easier-- most short hairstyles will require certain blow-drying, styling, etc. to make them look good/correct (another reason I gave up shorter hair). And who wants a bunch of people touching their hair, anyway??? (that is certainly not social-distancing-friendly...) Although he may be right. I think random strangers are more likely to try to touch long hair than short, if the experiences of people here are anything to go by.

enting
June 23rd, 2020, 06:25 PM
There's plenty of people out there to argue for long hair being quite sexy. Er. Sometimes more than some people might prefer....

I really don't like the constant implication that "sexy" is best/most desired look anyway.

I would also prefer that people not blow dry my hair at the salon. I have waves and I want to leave your salon with my natural waves intact. :rolleyes:

Agreed! Sometimes people might just want to be people and not be hypersexualized all the time.

I've fought at times for my hair to be left to dry on its own after getting it cut at a salon. It was as if I asked for the weirdest thing ever. Granted, I don't like people touching my hair if I manage to get it to curl because it'll just drop out and frizz, but if it's combed out/not day 1 hair? Totally not a problem for it to be touched by those I choose.

spidermom
June 24th, 2020, 08:03 AM
I know some good people who make their living as hair stylists, and I don't think they are to be faulted for trying to bring in business. Nobody is trying to pass a law to FORCE anybody to go to a salon or barber.

meepster
June 24th, 2020, 08:22 AM
I know some good people who make their living as hair stylists, and I don't think they are to be faulted for trying to bring in business. Nobody is trying to pass a law to FORCE anybody to go to a salon or barber.

Oh, they can try - it’s just that this attempt is so transparently laughable. It’s also a bit scary in that it probably would convince some people, who will then go and spread disease. At this point, anything that encourages disease spread is dangerous.

MusicalSpoons
June 24th, 2020, 08:39 AM
Oh, they can try - it’s just that this attempt is so transparently laughable. It’s also a bit scary in that it probably would convince some people, who will then go and spread disease. At this point, anything that encourages disease spread is dangerous.

Sadly the kinds of people whom it will convince are far more numerous than we would normally think. These are people with zero critical thinking, who hear 'expert' and think it must be true, or any kind of remotely science-y sounding words and think it must be true. The pandemic has shown me just how many people don't look past the words they see or hear and just take everything at face value, and it is quite frankly terrifying. You don't even need a scientific background or good education, you just need to have some form of critical thinking and the ability to discern heavily-biased info from less-biased info, but so many people Just Don't.

GoddesJourney
June 24th, 2020, 09:20 AM
I have a bob-like thing on my head right now, from growing out my pixie, and I agree that it’s the most impossible stage of hair growth and leads to the most face-touching, annoyance, and general cursing. I take a walk outside in a windy location every day, and lately I’ve had to do absolutely crazy things to contain the hair (which is too short for a ponytail). I’ll throw myself a party when I finally reach the ponytail stage.

And also, maintaining a short bob requires regular hair salon visits, and every single one is a risk. And unlike longer hair, a short bob can’t be a DIY haircut.

Absolutely. I believe any length between the stages of pixie and pony nub are widely considered the most inconvenient and not wind friendly.

MusicalSpoons
June 24th, 2020, 09:35 AM

I agree, to an extent - it's the way in which the people in the articles are preying people's fear instead of using legitimate reasons to persuade people back that really angered me.

Eleanor_
June 24th, 2020, 01:05 PM
Crazy that people think that a bob floating around your face is more hygienic that having your hair tightly restrained in a bun! Since lockdown my mum has finally been able to french plait her hair or do a tiny ponytail and she's really enjoying it.

I find it so frustrating that everyone thinks that everyone else's hair is their business. My aunt (mid 50s) went grey (stopped dying) at about Christmas and whenever she's brought up my dad starts going on about how much older she looks. (This is the man who thinks it's embarrassing for men to dye their hair!) Like who do I owe looking young forever to? Why do I have to spend thousands of pounds getting my roots covered every 6 weeks?

Whew that was a good rant 😂

0xalis
June 24th, 2020, 01:37 PM

I beg to differ... I cut my own bobs more than once... It's difficult but it can be done!

Kat
June 24th, 2020, 08:38 PM
Sadly the kinds of people whom it will convince are far more numerous than we would normally think. These are people with zero critical thinking, who hear 'expert' and think it must be true, or any kind of remotely science-y sounding words and think it must be true. The pandemic has shown me just how many people don't look past the words they see or hear and just take everything at face value, and it is quite frankly terrifying. You don't even need a scientific background or good education, you just need to have some form of critical thinking and the ability to discern heavily-biased info from less-biased info, but so many people Just Don't.

Or, people who aren't sure if they should but only need a bit of encouragement to "convince" them because they want to believe (even if it isn't actually the best choice).

I agree, to an extent - it's the way in which the people in the articles are preying people's fear instead of using legitimate reasons to persuade people back that really angered me.

And, plenty of people are already clamoring to go to barbers and salons. There's no need to put a guilt trip, or false information on people who maybe aren't sure if they're ready to go back. That's up to them.

Ylva
June 25th, 2020, 08:37 AM

Yes - I mean, considering how easily people are led astray, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that somebody wants to pass a law about hairstyles people are allowed to have in the name of hygiene and safety. It would be typical "Nordic solidarity" towards those with compromised immune systems, eh? It's not like there aren't already countries where haircuts are regulated by the law, as exceptional as they (it?) may be in all ways.

Of course, it's a bit of a tinfoil thought, but I prefer to have good signals on my tinfoil hat - at least I'll have time to attach a flail on the end of my braid when they come for my hair! ;)

ZoeZ
June 25th, 2020, 10:12 AM

This is one of my biggest peeves - that they don't seem to be teaching critical thinking in schools. A friend of mine just recently asked her friends to send her ideas on her daughter's university course content - on how digital media is affecting society - literally asking us to do her daughter's work for her - and doesn't seem to realise the assignment is part of teaching her how to think and research projects on her own. sigh.

A big nope from me, lol - might be the end of a casual aquaintanceship.

enting
June 25th, 2020, 10:15 AM
This is one of my biggest peeves - that they don't seem to be teaching critical thinking in schools. A friend of mine just recently asked her friends to send her ideas on her daughter's university course content - on how digital media is affecting society - literally asking us to do her daughter's work for her - and doesn't seem to realise the assignment is part of teaching her how to think and research projects on her own. sigh.

Until DH started complaining to me that critical thinking isn't taught, I don't think I had even heard the term before. Now I'm aware of it, I'm very aware that critical thinking isn't taught anymore in most places. Now I think of the Professor in the Narnia books - "What *do* they teach them at these schools?"

meepster
June 25th, 2020, 10:16 AM

Grownups don’t seem to be terribly good at it either. I regularly get fake news articles from my elderly parents that literally take me 2 seconds to disprove.

My daughter’s homeschool curriculum will include “How to research things and verify or disprove media claims”.

truepeacenik
June 25th, 2020, 10:32 AM
As a bearded man, all I can say is this. First time?

My personal favorite article stated that beards are filled with feces. Yeah. Riiiight...

Hair, real hair, whether it's on your head or on your face, is exposed to the environment. There's bacteria everywhere. Virus particles everywhere. And, naturally, its own microbiome as well.

Generally speaking if it's supposed to be there, it's not unhealthy.

Beards get ecoli, from saliva and food. So not poop.

*Wednesday*
June 25th, 2020, 01:29 PM
“The world-renowned hairdresser fears that the coronavirus is more likely to spread in long, wavy hair.”

Interesting a certain breed of hair spreads it. I have wavy hair. Sounds like a long-hair hater. What a wacko.

Chromis
June 25th, 2020, 04:46 PM
Until DH started complaining to me that critical thinking isn't taught, I don't think I had even heard the term before. Now I'm aware of it, I'm very aware that critical thinking isn't taught anymore in most places. Now I think of the Professor in the Narnia books - "What *do* they teach them at these schools?"

Old school thinking was rote-learning. Facts and dates, facts and dates... That wasn't critical thinking either, and expressing such sure got me into the principal's office a lot! (More than one of those was from finding errors in the textbook, one had a very easy to verify date wrong and even the principal rolled their eyes at finding me there over it).

Beauty industry probably needs a shakeup anyhow. Lots of sleazy stuff happening in the US and Canada with fly-by-night schools, weird chair rental schemes, and all sorts of stuff that makes me wonder why anyone thinks that's a good idea.