PDA

View Full Version : What is a hair mistake you've made ?

GoldenRussian
June 14th, 2020, 12:58 AM
Mine is bleaching.

Hexana
June 14th, 2020, 01:30 AM
Well there are many but one was was wearing my hair down constantly and then wondering why I had so many split ends :rolleyes:

illicitlizard
June 14th, 2020, 02:02 AM
I'm still the worst at detangling, the amount of hair I've ripped out with a brush due to impatience is, well, a lot.

lapushka
June 14th, 2020, 03:23 AM
My whole color-craze (natural colors, but one after the other). I switched from chemical to henna to bleach to henna and literally melted my hair off and burnt my scalp. Being indecisive and having color at your disposal = never a good idea!

desisparkles
June 14th, 2020, 03:44 AM
going to the hair dresser.

Feral_
June 14th, 2020, 04:05 AM
Not discovering LHC and the wonderful people on here sooner.

SleepyTangles
June 14th, 2020, 06:07 AM
Skimping on product. Literally, so many problems can be solved by using the right amounts!

unheardletters
June 14th, 2020, 06:26 AM
Pulling out grey hairs.

DropStitches
June 14th, 2020, 08:27 AM
Washing with Baking Soda. My hair and scalp have never been so unhappy, but I stubbornly persisted for months because I believed I was doing something 'natural', and that my hair was just taking its time to adjust.

Jane99
June 14th, 2020, 08:52 AM
Not putting my hair in a hat for bonfires!! That burning hair smell is the worst!!

Sparkles122
June 14th, 2020, 11:36 AM
going to the hair dresser.

I’m with you on that one.

gustavonut
June 14th, 2020, 02:32 PM
Bleaching it. 10000000%
I’m never doing it again. No matter how much I babied it, it still broke off and made me feel less pretty.

primadonnamuch
June 14th, 2020, 05:11 PM
I will also chime in on the bleach front. It’s the absolute worst. My hair pretty much chemical cut itself from TBL to WL. Not an enjoyable experience, and one I’ll never repeat!

oldrocker
June 14th, 2020, 06:52 PM
listening to the soon to be ex-wife who hates long hair now and cutting it due to pressure from her and my mom(even though I was around 40....sighhhhhhhhhhh

O.R.

SelenVinland
June 14th, 2020, 07:19 PM
A few people said going to a hairdresser, for me it was NOT going to a hairdresser...I tried to clean up the back of my pixie cut myself toward the beginning of quarantine and hooooo boy did it ever turn out bad! Maybe the real hair mistake was cutting it short in the first place, though ;)

Hahahaley
June 14th, 2020, 07:36 PM
Melting off my hair with bleach in November 2018.. I keep chopping it to shoulder length to get rid of the damage! The good news is I’m finally at a point where I can grow it out a little before my next trim!

qvbit
June 14th, 2020, 08:23 PM
Caving to my impulses and bleaching/cutting it or cutting in bangs. I always regret it. Bangs never sit right on me no matter what I do and they look awful growing out!!

Dark40
June 14th, 2020, 09:04 PM
Putting a color remover on relaxed hair. What a big mistake that was!! It really ruined my hair!!

Dark40
June 14th, 2020, 09:08 PM
Bleaching it. 10000000%
I’m never doing it again. No matter how much I babied it, it still broke off and made me feel less pretty.

Hey, I used to bleach mine too, and relax it. I still do relax and color it but that bleaching alone is really horrible for the hair period. It does break it off if you over-bleach it. No matter how you baby it. I remember one time I bleached it. Then, I saw plum hair, and liked it. So, I colored my hair plum over the bleached part, and my hair was purple..lol It all faded away, and I just dyed my hair red.

auburntressed
June 15th, 2020, 02:07 AM
Throughout all my teenage years and into my early 20s, I wore ponytails using those harsh elastic bands constantly. I honestly don’t know how my hair managed to hold up. I used them on my braid ends, too.

I also used terrible hair brushes that tore out tons of hair. I remember the gobs and gobs of hair I used to pull out of my brushes back then. I don’t know how I had any hair left...

And yet I still had insanely thick hair, even with all of that abuse.

My texture is definitely silkier and a lot healthier now, though. So I feel like my gentle handling efforts have paid off.

Larke
June 15th, 2020, 02:25 AM
Years of swimming in pools. No one had ever told me chlorine was bad for my hair until it was completely ruined. The damage is still there years later. :/

TinaRider
June 15th, 2020, 02:56 AM
1. Letting hairdressers cut my hair, over and over again.
2. Deciding on a shorter hairstyle because of not having patience to let it grow.

LittleHealthy
June 15th, 2020, 04:48 AM
Trimming perfectly healthy hair to 'thicken' my genetically thin hair. Took me a year of setbacks to realise it DOESNT DO ANYTHING :D

beha
June 18th, 2020, 02:58 AM
Those elastics everyone has - the thick kind people wear around their wrists - and a bad habit of carelessly yanking them out when I want my hair down. I use scrunchies now, unless I'm tying down a braid end, in which case I don't care.

Fimu
June 18th, 2020, 04:43 AM
* Using henna on my naturally textured hair (adds too much friction)
* Using wet brushes for detangling (Denman brush)
* Not paying attention to the pH of products. E.g. hair gels can have a too-high pH.
* Not knowing I live in a hard water area because I got fooled by the water suppliers in my country that classify the levels as "soft".
* Did too often strong acidic treatments last year (Malibu C, shikakai)
* Undernourishment and not changing my diet by the season, which resulted in nutritient deficiencies.
* Having had slight anemia (I found out about it just last year but now it's restored since taking iron pills for months)

gossamer
June 18th, 2020, 08:38 AM
Ages ago I bought paired shampoo and conditioner because they were on sale as a set, and having a bottle of that same shampoo already at home, I decided to give the conditioner a try. I put them all in the shower. Then for ~1 month at least (that's probably 6-7 washes), because I wear glasses and couldn't see clearly in the shower, I ended up "conditioning" my hair with the shampoo from the new bottle, after washing my scalp with the shampoo from the old bottle I was trying to use up. Poor hair... so, so dry and tangly!

curiouscat13
June 18th, 2020, 09:06 AM
Washing my hair just like I did with soft water, when I moved to a place with hard water.

Ragtatter
June 18th, 2020, 10:57 AM
Well there are many but one was was wearing my hair down constantly and then wondering why I had so many split ends :rolleyes:

This is me, full-stop!

Probably my worst decision was belayage. Instead of looking subtle and natural, I look a bit like a calico cat. It's getting better as it grows out, but it's not great.