PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal or common for hair length growth to change with age?

Mirror
June 10th, 2020, 09:19 PM
Hello 😊I'm hoping that I can get some feedback on how common this is. My hair has always been thin. But for the past couple of years, it's not only thin—it’s also not growing as long as it used to. 🤷

I used to have no problem growing my hair as long as I wanted, including past my waist about 15 years ago. Now, though, it’s seeming not to grow past just below my shoulders.

I don’t use anything chemical of any kind on it, live fiercely healthy, and only use heat tools on it a few times each year. I turned 49 in January, and I’m wondering if others have noticed anything similar as a result of age.

ZoeZ
June 11th, 2020, 04:49 AM
Do you perhaps have an imbalance in vitamins/minerals/hormones that may be impeding growth?

Sarahlabyrinth
June 11th, 2020, 05:30 AM
Are you getting plenty of protein, drinking water, getting good sleep, and some exercise? Have you had any stress in the last few months? Those things can all make a difference.

spidermom
June 11th, 2020, 06:48 AM
A lot of things can affect hair growth. Sometimes we're trimming too much. Sometimes we're so impatient to reach a certain length that we can't see growth even though it's happening. Try taking a photo of it every 3 months wearing a patterned shirt/dress so that you can more easily judge whether or not your hair has gotten longer. There's a seasonal hair growth project thread that will be popping up around the summer solstice. You are welcome to join it.

Dark40
June 11th, 2020, 10:28 AM
I agree with all of the others. It might be a vitamin/mineral or hormonal imbalance. Are you getting enough rest? Exercise? What about your diet? Are you getting enough protein? All of those can play a factor in hair growth.

lapushka
June 11th, 2020, 02:41 PM
Hello ��I'm hoping that I can get some feedback on how common this is. My hair has always been thin. But for the past couple of years, it's not only thin—it’s also not growing as long as it used to. ��

I used to have no problem growing my hair as long as I wanted, including past my waist about 15 years ago. Now, though, it’s seeming not to grow past just below my shoulders.

I don’t use anything chemical of any kind on it, live fiercely healthy, and only use heat tools on it a few times each year. I turned 49 in January, and I’m wondering if others have noticed anything similar as a result of age.

Even just heat (like heat from an iron) once or twice a year can cause permanent damage and future breakage. There's that; not that I think that's it.

It might be a combination of factors. Hormones (menopausal issues).

It would not hurt, if it is truly not growing to get some bloodwork done. It's no luxury, especially if you don't have that done frequently.

Due to disability and medication, I have bloodwork done yearly. It's very useful!