PDA

View Full Version : Using cones in the winter? Help!! Fine hair!

eringrows
June 8th, 2020, 08:04 PM
Hi everyone! This is my first thread! I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right place so forgive me if I’m doing something wrong.
I really need some advice.
My hair is finally at WL and it’s very fine (always has been I suppose). I’ve been sulphate and cone free for about 6 months but it’s just hit winter in Australia and my hair is staring to shed like crazy... I’ve noticed big clumps after I wash (very 5-6 days) and I have to clean out my BBB after every use! I’m wondering if I should experiment with a coney conditioner or leave in? Could this help fine hair from breaking or do you think it’ll only make my hair more dry and brittle in the long run? I suppose I should also add that I’m a vegetarian (9+ years) so I’ll be increasing my B12, iron and D3 supplements to see if that helps with the hair loss etc. all advice welcome! Thank you in advance!!

Hasse
June 8th, 2020, 11:54 PM
I would hold on and dry one of those shed clumps and inspect it. Are those hairs really broken off or just sheds?

It can also be a seasonal shed, I always get one in summer.

CuteCrow
June 9th, 2020, 01:53 AM
I don't really think silicones can help with shedding or making your hair look fuller. They are mostly there to give slip and shine.
I also think it could be seasonal and you just started noticing it now or maybe something else changed in your life. Do you wear more hats or scarves? any stress factors? maybe it's windy and you wear your hair mostly down?
Look at your shedded hair, if most ends have a bulb it's probably shedding but if both ends are sharp it's probably breakage. It's important to identify which type you are having to be able to know how to approach the possible solutions.

Also, please don't take supplements without asking your doctor first, it could be making things worse. I've been vegetarian for years and my blood analysis has always shown that my B12 is perfectly fine. I have naturally low levels of iron and my diet has actually (very slightly) increased it. You said you live in Australia, I think vitamin D deficiency is pretty uncommon there? Is there any reason for you to be taking D3 supplements? Maybe you spend all the light hours indoors?

eringrows
June 9th, 2020, 05:22 AM
I don't really think silicones can help with shedding or making your hair look fuller. They are mostly there to give slip and shine.
I also think it could be seasonal and you just started noticing it now or maybe something else changed in your life. Do you wear more hats or scarves? any stress factors? maybe it's windy and you wear your hair mostly down?
Look at your shedded hair, if most ends have a bulb it's probably shedding but if both ends are sharp it's probably breakage. It's important to identify which type you are having to be able to know how to approach the possible solutions.

Also, please don't take supplements without asking your doctor first, it could be making things worse. I've been vegetarian for years and my blood analysis has always shown that my B12 is perfectly fine. I have naturally low levels of iron and my diet has actually (very slightly) increased it. You said you live in Australia, I think vitamin D deficiency is pretty uncommon there? Is there any reason for you to be taking D3 supplements? Maybe you spend all the light hours indoors?

Thanks so much for the advice! I wear my hair up in a loose bun every day (with a hair fork) and haven’t been wearing any hats etc! I think most of my hair loss is proper shedding, as in, from the root! I’ll have to see a doctor but I’m definitely iron and vitamin D deficient. I’m extremely pale and can’t spend too much time in the sun haha!! I heard iron deficiency can cause hair loss? It might just be a seasonal thing, like you said? Thanks again lovely!

Bri-Chan
June 9th, 2020, 05:36 AM
Thanks so much for the advice! I wear my hair up in a loose bun every day (with a hair fork) and haven’t been wearing any hats etc! I think most of my hair loss is proper shedding, as in, from the root! I’ll have to see a doctor but I’m definitely iron and vitamin D deficient. I’m extremely pale and can’t spend too much time in the sun haha!! I heard iron deficiency can cause hair loss? It might just be a seasonal thing, like you said? Thanks again lovely!

Iron deficit can cause hair loss, of course. As vegetarians, we need to pay a little bit more attention to have an healthy diet, especially at the beginning because obviously isn't only about cutting off meat and fish. I know by experience, because last year I discovered I had mild anemia because of my iron - free diet (my family's diet without meat, basically). Fortunately I haven't experienced an hair loss, but my hair started growing slower at one point.
Anyway you need to check it with analysis and a doctor. And obviously you need to fix your alimentation.

For the main question, silicones cannot influence the shedding.

lapushka
June 9th, 2020, 03:41 PM
Might it be the sulfate-free wash? Have you tried and clarified once in a while, with a sulfate shampoo. Might be build-up at the follicles, causing them to shed. Should be the easiest thing to find out.

CuteCrow
June 9th, 2020, 05:31 PM

Well, it could be seasonal but also it could be the weather change. Indeed, iron and vitamin D deficiencies are linked to hair loss. I had a serious vitamin D deficiency that my doctor thought could be linked to my increased shedding and I have to say it has reduced recently after a few months in a medium-high dose of vitamin D. But it could also be stress.

And adding to what lapushka said, you should also check any new products you may have been using in the last few months. It can take months to realise our hair is intolerant to certain chemicals

eringrows
June 9th, 2020, 05:51 PM
Might it be the sulfate-free wash? Have you tried and clarified once in a while, with a sulfate shampoo. Might be build-up at the follicles, causing them to shed. Should be the easiest thing to find out.

Hmm, I did think of this! I clarified about 3 weeks ago so might try it again. Thank you so much :)

eringrows
June 9th, 2020, 05:53 PM
Well, it could be seasonal but also it could be the weather change. Indeed, iron and vitamin D deficiencies are linked to hair loss. I had a serious vitamin D deficiency that my doctor thought could be linked to my increased shedding and I have to say it has reduced recently after a few months in a medium-high dose of vitamin D. But it could also be stress.

And adding to what lapushka said, you should also check any new products you may have been using in the last few months. It can take months to realise our hair is intolerant to certain chemicals

Ahh! Yes I might see my doctor... I think that I could have a similar issue! Thank you for the advice!!

lapushka
June 10th, 2020, 04:32 AM
Hmm, I did think of this! I clarified about 3 weeks ago so might try it again. Thank you so much :)

Once every month, or even twice is good to clarify; it all depends on how often you wash, how many products you use, etc (stylers especially like creams and gels, leave-ins). Maybe 3 weeks is too long. I mean, I'm just hoping it's that, because then that's an easy fix.

If it's something medical, like a shortage of some kind, I mean don't get me wrong that's not the end of the world either, but it's much more of a bother than changing up your shampoo once in a while. :)