PDA

View Full Version : Hair grows most densely on sides but not at back

Simona
June 6th, 2020, 01:25 PM
My hair is denser (and thus also tends to grow longer) on the sides than at the back. This makes me feel a touch paranoid and worried!
Am just wondering if anyone else's hair is like this too.
I always feel that hair should grow most at the back (and thus be most dense there).
Because of how mine is, I feel it can get a bit 'straggley' at the back compared with the sides.

https://i.imgur.com/wlF24cL.jpg

Ylva
June 6th, 2020, 01:51 PM
Are you talking about the nape of the neck? Those hairs pretty much always have a shorter terminal length than the "main" hair. I have an entire naturally shorter layer on the bottom.

lapushka
June 6th, 2020, 03:39 PM
I think it's tough to compare. My sides grow a little bit slower, but ever since I started to layer mine, it doesn't matter anymore. :)

Just give it more time and patience, it will eventually catch up, unless of course, like Ylva mentioned, you are talking about the hair at the nape, that is what it is... for everyone. :flower:

BleachedBerry
June 6th, 2020, 03:50 PM
Interesting. This could be damage or breakage.
Or as said above, the nape is often shorter.

Bri-Chan
June 6th, 2020, 05:50 PM
I have probably an inch of that before my normal hair. Those strands reach my collarbone and are finer and lighter. I always thought that was just baby hair.

lapushka
June 7th, 2020, 04:21 AM

Maybe that *is* a good question to ask. I don't know if OP has damage at all.

Simona, do you use anything like heat and by that I don't mean a regular blow dryer on cool to warm? Dyes? Bleach?

Simona
June 7th, 2020, 09:09 AM
Maybe that *is* a good question to ask. I don't know if OP has damage at all.

Simona, do you use anything like heat and by that I don't mean a regular blow dryer on cool to warm? Dyes? Bleach?

I don't use a dryer, but I think breakage is potentially an issue. I have only just switched back to a satin pillowcase (I lost my old one, which is odd as losing a pillowcase is kind of an impossible thing to do, haha).

Simona
June 7th, 2020, 09:10 AM

I was looking. It is a very good point you raise about the hair at the nape being shorter and even finer. Thank you.

Simona
June 7th, 2020, 09:12 AM
Thank you to everyone for your replies <3

lilbee
June 8th, 2020, 07:54 AM
Hi Simona !

Differences in growth speed and growth density is rather common : a lot of people have a "better side". It can be due to follicles activity beeing more or less dynamic depending on their location on your head, and it can also be due to life habits and manipulation : we don't realize it, but when we comb or brush, we usually tend to make the same gestures all the time, pulling more here and less there.

And also when we sleep : if we constantly sleep in the same position, it can affect hair growth. For exampe, side sleepers tend to prefer sleeping on one side than the other, and sometime they notice some sort of thinning on the side that lays on the pillow the major part of the time. And also the people who sleep on the back with their hair thrown upon their pillow can experience hair rubbing in their nape, and some sort of "empty area" in the middle, that becomes more noticeable when the hair grows very long (their hair is divided in two long parts each side, with a shorter middle part).

The hair-divided-in-two can also be a consequence of people detangling their hair by separating it in two and bringing each side in the front : it makes the brushing harsher for the middle part hair that are brought in front, because you go to catch them with the brush behing and draw them in front at each stroke stronger than the side hairs.

Well, sorry for my awkward English but it is pretty difficult to explain !