PDA

View Full Version : Haircut rant - looking for inspiration :D

Amenahh
June 5th, 2020, 10:58 AM
I'm just looking for some encouragement here and any inspirational stories while I wait for my hair to grow! :D

A couple of months ago I got a haircut. I had straight BSL one-length hair and I guess I was bored and wanted to get it cut to APL (which suits me) in a similar style - straight and one length. My mom convinced me to keep my lengh and just get layers instead, because then if I didn't like it, I could just get it cut again to medium. She even asked me to use her card as a bday present, how sweet it that? :)

I thought it was a good idea, so that's what I did. I'm really enjoying the layers in the front, which frame my face nicely. However, the stylist cut a ton of layers in the back too, which I'm not a fan of. My straight hair doesn't look straight anymore because of all the layers, it's like it doesn't have a shape, it's neither straight nor wavy. urgh...

All in all, I'm happy I got the layers instead of cutting it shorter because I want to grow it again. And now it's between BSL and waist. But it's going to take ages until the layers in the back grow...

I'm dreaming of the day I can have a nice V-shape, with my hair long in the back and some layers in the front to frame my face.

Edit: I'm also trying to grow my straight fringe at the same time. Praying for patience haha...

Laurab
June 5th, 2020, 12:58 PM
Aw, your mom sounds great.
I have layers too, and I'm really happy with them.
Like you said, it's easy to get bored.
Personally, I'd rather go really slow with growth and have hair I"m happy with along the way than rush to my end goal by never getting any trims or layers put in. I like to enjoy the journey.
Others are happy toing the opposite, it's just a personal preference.

Layers also look pretty different as the hair grows.
A 3 inch layer on 12 inch hair is going to be significantly more noticable than a 3 inch layer on 22 inch hair.

In the future if you don't like the layers in back you can tell the stylist you're growing them out but want to keep layers in the front, or something along those lines.

Oh and best of luck on the fringe!
I grew mine out a couple of years ago, it's the worst. But hey, I finally figured out lace-braiding because of it, I practiced it to get the bangs out of my face. Good can come from lots of these struggles.

Amenahh
June 6th, 2020, 03:14 AM
Layers also look pretty different as the hair grows.
A 3 inch layer on 12 inch hair is going to be significantly more noticable than a 3 inch layer on 22 inch hair.

In the future if you don't like the layers in back you can tell the stylist you're growing them out but want to keep layers in the front, or something along those lines.

Yes, I think the layers in the back will annoy me less once my hair is longer, so I'm trying to be patient :).
That's what I plan to tell any future stylist, If I don't just decide to trim the front layers myself.

Oh and best of luck on the fringe!
I grew mine out a couple of years ago, it's the worst. But hey, I finally figured out lace-braiding because of it, I practiced it to get the bangs out of my face. Good can come from lots of these struggles.

I never manage to grow mine out, I always end up chopping it back. I'll try to learn lace braiding too once it gets longer, I think it looks so pretty! :)
Thanks for the support!

BleachedBerry
June 6th, 2020, 06:23 AM
Good luck growing.
I am sorry you don't like your layers. Are they too short to even up?
Ask for layers around the face only next time.

Amenahh
June 6th, 2020, 07:58 AM
Thanks BleachedBerry :).
Yes, they're too short to even up, my hair goes down to my mid-back, and the shortest layers in the back are somewhere between the base of my neck and APL.
They don't look terrible, but I'm not a fan, I'm mostly wearing my hair up in a bun these days, which is fine - I think it suits my face and summer's here so it's getting too hot for wearing my hair down anyway.
I'll just be patient.

lapushka
June 6th, 2020, 09:08 AM
Grow out the layers. Your other option is to go shorter, and that's never a good idea. Why not try and do some cute updos in the mean time.

My hair is full of layers (pretty much about waist to classic). I did them myself with a home-cut (compact cut, ponytail on the forehead, as described in the book, "Haircutting for dummies"). It is nicknamed a "unicorn" cut by plenty a YT video by now. These things get a life of their own. LOL!

Amenahh
June 6th, 2020, 11:07 AM
Thanks lapushka, I'm enjoying buns and high ponytails (with soft elastics to minimise damage) at the moment.

The hairdresser used a very similar method, grabbing all my hair upwards and chopping to where it would keep the same length. Then he did adjustments, tweaking etc.
I think these layers look amazing on wavy hair like yours. I'm just not a big fan of them on my hair type, because it's neither straight anymore, nor wavy.

However, if I sleep with a french braid or I keep my hair in a twisted bun, I get nice waves that match the layers :). they never last for more than a few hours though haha.

lapushka
June 6th, 2020, 02:24 PM
Thanks lapushka, I'm enjoying buns and high ponytails (with soft elastics to minimise damage) at the moment.

The hairdresser used a very similar method, grabbing all my hair upwards and chopping to where it would keep the same length. Then he did adjustments, tweaking etc.
I think these layers look amazing on wavy hair like yours. I'm just not a big fan of them on my hair type, because it's neither straight anymore, nor wavy.

However, if I sleep with a french braid or I keep my hair in a twisted bun, I get nice waves that match the layers :). they never last for more than a few hours though haha.

Yeah, hairtype and layers can be a major thing. On your hairtype they might not be as great. I do second BleachedBerry when she said to ask for the face framing ones only next time, since you seem to be happy with those.

Anyway, happy growing! :flower: