PDA

View Full Version : Can long hair be worn down at all times?

TinaRider
June 2nd, 2020, 02:16 AM
I wear my hair down pretty much all the time. I also sleep with my hair loose. The longest my hair has ever been is BSL and this worked fine. My cousin can do the same with her WL hair.
I would like to set realistic length goal for myself as wearing my hair up daily is not something I'm willing to do. The whole purpose of my hair is to be worn down.

At which length did you NEED to start putting your hair up?

Ylva
June 2nd, 2020, 02:23 AM
It's very, very individual when you "need" to start putting your hair up, or if that's a requirement for you at all.

You will find that some people simply cannot grow past APL without wearing their hair up, and some will be able to wear their hair down at all times even after it has reached their ankles. Coarse hair (thick individual strands) tends to withstand mechanical damage, which is what you suffer when wearing your hair down, better than fine hair does.

It also depends on how pristine you want the condition of your hair to be. If you don't mind a bit of damage or thinning at your ends, that's a good sign you'll be able to wear your hair down longer than, say, someone who wants to retain thick ends at mid-thigh.

You'll just have to grow onwards to see where your limit is, if you have one.

Kalamazoo
June 2nd, 2020, 02:35 AM
It's different for everyone. Whenever I notice it getting in the way, or it's too hot lying on my neck, or it's going to get wind-blown to smithereens & I don't want to have to spend a bunch of time detangling & snipping out split ends.

Really, getting it out of the way can be as simple as stuffing it down the back of my shirt. (& Some hairstyles are equally quick to do & release. & Bun Drops are always fun & impressive.)

Now mind you, it doesn't have to stay hidden forever ~ I just don't like it dangling in the middle of what I'm doing. (I mean, cleaning the kitty litter box?)

Eleanor_
June 2nd, 2020, 03:46 AM
I got mine to waist wearing it down pretty much all the time during the day. I only started tying it up to sleep in when I went on holiday with my bf and got fed up of him sleeping on it! Waist to hip I've tied up a lot more because my hair tangles easily (even when plaited), so if I don't I end pulling loads out when I'm dangling.

Servana
June 2nd, 2020, 03:58 AM
It really depends on you and your hair type. Hair that is fine tends to get damaged much more easily by the environment. I know because I have some fine hairs and they split like crazy, despite me never doing anything to damage them - just wearing my hair down at all times. Most of my hair is normal though, with some coarse strands here and there. This hair is fine. Doesn't get damaged from being down.

My hair is currently waist+ and the longest it's ever been is hip. Even then it wasn't damaged and the only problem I had with it down was getting it caught in things like car doors, seatbelts, under other people, etc.

My hair is 2A iii, so your mileage may vary.

lapushka
June 2nd, 2020, 05:24 AM
There is no rule that says you have to wear it up. If it doesn't get in your way, then all the better.

At around APL it sure did start to bother me. :lol:

unheardletters
June 2nd, 2020, 06:04 AM
For me anything longer than 2” is too long for me to wear down. I start pinning back the front and sides at even at such short lengths. I just cannot wear my hair down. But I know some people with even extreme hair lengths who wear their hair down at all times. It is different for everyone.

Simsy
June 2nd, 2020, 06:14 AM

Generally, you need to start wearing it up at the point when down/loose starts to become an issue for you personally. For me, that point was about chin length...I do not have hair that likes being loose and wild. I have domesticated hair that’s now deathly afraid of the wild beyond the stable door.

Elodea
June 2nd, 2020, 07:11 AM
For me, I began wearing my hair up occasionally around hip length. Around that length and beyond, in my experience I think it's more practical to wear hair up or contained in some way -- otherwise it gets tangled in the wind or gets into things when you're trying to do stuff in your daily life. So it's easier to have it up and out of the way. It was a convenience/practicality decision for me; my hair doesn't seem to be particularly fragile or prone to breakage, so I probably could still wear it down if I didn't mind more tangles and it getting in the way of things.

Pre-LHC, I maintained my hair at around waist length and always wore it down, and it was generally pretty manageable aside from static electricity problems in the winter.

jane_marie
June 2nd, 2020, 07:19 AM
I think it's possible... particularly if you have coarse hair but even at my length it can be inconvenient and painful. I tend to get it caught in my armpit now and I end up pulling my hair when I move because of it. I never had that problem with bsl.

Mariekeeee14
June 2nd, 2020, 07:24 AM
For me, it's also about practicality. I choose my battles. I wear it up when I'm travelling or outside, but sometimes when I'm inside, I pull it out of my bun. Cause I get what you're saying. I wanna enjoy my hair too, otherwise I wouldn't grow it this long. I don't sleep in buns and I sleep in a braid only if I feel like it, which is 15% of the time. Do what you like. Advice can be ignored if you want to :)

elise.autumn
June 2nd, 2020, 08:46 AM
Hello TinaRider, it looks like we have a similar texture and thickness. I can wear it down a fair amount if I want to. For protective reasons, I don't all the time. But I'll even go on long walks with it down, just understanding I'll need to gently detangle that night. I also used to sleep with it down (and damp) a few years ago. Again, I don't do that any more out of principle, but it didn't seem to harm my hair.

Halfbacks and long braids could also be a compromise to constantly down.

tl;dr: Do what feels right for your hair. If it is happy and you are happy, do it! If not, then change your styles. Updos and hair toys are also great fun.

Cg
June 2nd, 2020, 09:11 AM
I choose to wear it up to keep it away from my face, but when I was younger I wore it down all the time, even at knee. Everyone has different goals and preferences, so it's entirely up to you if and when you choose to wear it up. Enjoy your hair, whatever you decide.

lithostoic
June 2nd, 2020, 09:19 AM
Mine's waist length and I generally only wear it up (ponytail) for work. Or if it's windy! Everyone is different.

elise.autumn
June 2nd, 2020, 09:27 AM
when I was younger I wore it down all the time, even at knee

This sounds amazing. I used to think super long hair could not possibly be worn down, until mine at classic+ still can be without too much trouble.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2020, 09:34 AM
Hair in my face and tickling my neck drives me crazy, not to mention that it gets hot, in my way, and sheds all over the place. I'd have to say that I'm growing it long so I can wear it up.

Zesty
June 2nd, 2020, 11:24 AM
I think (anecdotally) that with lengths like BSL/waist or even perhaps hip, most people can wear their hair down always or frequently without problem, as long as they are careful about getting it caught in things etc.

At longer lengths (especially past TBL) I think more people have to do protective styles on the regular in order to keep their growth from stalling due to breakage. But not everyone. There are those who can wear it down daily at knee+.

If you want to wear your hair down you of course can, but I would suggest being mindful of how your growth is going so that you can notice if it's too much damage for your hair. Just see how it goes.

Personally I am particular about the health of my hair and try to avoid damage as much as possible. My hair is not tough and I want to reach knee length with reasonably healthy ends, so I wear my hair up daily. It's also a little inconvenient to wear it down (mid thigh length) if I'm doing much of anything, it gets everywhere. :p

lapushka
June 2nd, 2020, 04:03 PM
Hair in my face and tickling my neck drives me crazy, not to mention that it gets hot, in my way, and sheds all over the place. I'd have to say that I'm growing it long so I can wear it up.

I sooo detest that!

LittleHealthy
June 2nd, 2020, 08:56 PM
Well length is subjective depending on your height. My hair is around 33 inches long, but I'm 6ft tall so it's between waist and hip length. I wear it down most of the time and that's fine! I do wear it up to go running though. And often keep a scrunchie in my pocket to throw my hair up if I'm working outside or my children are getting their hands caught in my hair.

Kat
June 2nd, 2020, 09:05 PM
Just grow it until you get to the point that you can't stand to have it down, then cut it back to where you can...

Hildegarde
June 2nd, 2020, 10:00 PM
If you’re happy with your length then I don’t see why you would have to put it up. I find it’s more comfortable in that keeping it up keeps it away from getting caught on things, drying out against my clothes, getting wrapped in any buttons or zippers, caught between my back and whatever I’m sitting on. So I do prefer it

Sora Rose
June 3rd, 2020, 02:08 AM
I'm the odd sort that doesn't mind hair in my neck, my face, or basically anywhere else. I used to wear my hair down all the time at HL+, and since I was used to it I seldom ran into any trouble. Although there were occasions where it would get in the way (shutting doors on it, having it brush the floor when leaning down, car seat belts, buttons, and so on). Although when I got a little more active, the mechanical damage finally came in hard from wearing it down, and it kind of thinned out and broke off and split all the way back to BSL within a few months.

I wear it up all the time now, except at night. The splits and mechanical damage are all gone. And oddly enough, now I feel uncomfortable going anywhere without putting my hair up first.

Dark40
June 8th, 2020, 06:25 PM
I wear my hair down pretty much all the time. I also sleep with my hair loose. The longest my hair has ever been is BSL and this worked fine. My cousin can do the same with her WL hair.
I would like to set realistic length goal for myself as wearing my hair up daily is not something I'm willing to do. The whole purpose of my hair is to be worn down.

Yes, hair can definitely be worn down at all times. I'm like you, I can't wear my hair up all of the time either during the day, and I've been able to grow to WL, and it's at it's longest.

Larke
June 8th, 2020, 07:08 PM
I used to love wearing my hair down, but it absolutely would not grow past BSL at the longest. When I started wearing it up, I saw the biggest growth spurt I've ever had. But then, I also have very fine hair which damages easily, and I don't have that much of it. People with thicker hair can get away with more and I see a lot of people in my area with WL hair that don't wear it up or do anything special to keep it long.

I think it's a shame to hide hair up in buns all the time, but I've gotten used to the comfort that comes with not having to deal with hair getting in the way all the time. It's very convenient. So once you get used to it, there is that as a benefit. Plus you get to play with many pretty hair toys. Always good too. :P

share801
June 9th, 2020, 03:41 PM
Well depends on your daily activities as well as your hair. If you are working around dangerous machinery I would certainly put it up. If you sit in a chair most of the time perhaps not.

MeganAimee
June 11th, 2020, 09:42 PM
When my hair was hip length, I loved having it down all the time. I particularly liked feeling it on my skin. I've never had it any longer than that, but I never had the urge to put it up unless I was extremely sweaty.

Gwyned
June 11th, 2020, 09:54 PM
It can definitely be worn down at all times. Safely? Depends on your hair, weather, fabric you're wearing. For example, if you have very delicate hair and you wear your hair down often, you might get a lot of breakage or splits if your hair is long enough to rub against your back, shoulders or chest. I've heard many people with long hair complain that their hair becomes extremely knotted if their hair is worn down on windy days. If your hair is fine with cotton and things I think it'll be fine. ::shrug::

ebillan
June 11th, 2020, 10:13 PM
I wear mine up a lot just because it gets in the way, it's too hot, and/or it gets knotted when I have it down. But I think whether my hair was BSL or HL I'd have these problems. I probably wear it down less than half the time (excluding work, where I always wear it up), but I kinda go out of my way to wear it down and show it off a bit. Otherwise for me, I don't see the purpose in having long hair.

SleepyTangles
June 12th, 2020, 01:24 AM
Depending on your lifestyle, I'd say the average Person can't grow as effectively with unprotected ends. But if you already have your desired lenght, you may be able to maintain that (provided that no other damage factors are in the picture) :)

Dung Beetle
June 12th, 2020, 09:05 AM
Mine's just slightly longer than BSL and starting to get in the way. Usually when I grab a broom or shovel, I grab hair along with it. Or if I throw my purse into the car, I throw some hair with it, etc. It's time for a cut.

TinaRider
June 15th, 2020, 03:11 AM
Mine's just slightly longer than BSL and starting to get in the way. Usually when I grab a broom or shovel, I grab hair along with it. Or if I throw my purse into the car, I throw some hair with it, etc. It's time for a cut.

This is exactly what I plan to do. Once it gets to long for comfort, I'll cut it slightly and maintain it at that length instead of wearing it up.

LittleHealthy
June 15th, 2020, 04:39 AM
I always say I'm going to start wearing mine up more often, but I never do. I wear mine down 90% of the daytime. Always in a bun for bed though. My hair is totally ok! I enjoy it being down more and more as it gains length. I think they more you wear it down the more you get used to having it hanging around your body as you go about daily life too.

Feral_
June 15th, 2020, 04:47 AM
I always say I'm going to start wearing mine up more often, but I never do. I wear mine down 90% of the daytime. Always in a bun for bed though. My hair is totally ok! I enjoy it being down more and more as it gains length. I think they more you wear it down the more you get used to having it hanging around your body as you go about daily life too.

Same here, I like the feel of it around me, I might think different as it grows longer though. I actually feel a bit exposed if my hair is up.

LittleHealthy
June 15th, 2020, 04:59 AM
Same here, I like the feel of it around me, I might think different as it grows longer though. I actually feel a bit exposed if my hair is up.
I understand that feeling too! I sometimes put mine up if I'm driving, or if I'm working outside etc. But the rest of the time I prefer it down. Any tight buns with twists feel like they're damaging to my extremely thin strands anyway. I went through a phase in late 2018/early 2019 where I wore it up all the time but didn't notice a different to the quality of my hair.

Feral_ how long is your hair at the moment?

Feral_
June 15th, 2020, 07:13 AM
I understand that feeling too! I sometimes put mine up if I'm driving, or if I'm working outside etc. But the rest of the time I prefer it down. Any tight buns with twists feel like they're damaging to my extremely thin strands anyway. I went through a phase in late 2018/early 2019 where I wore it up all the time but didn't notice a different to the quality of my hair.

Feral_ how long is your hair at the moment?

I tried to find a length description for it.. it’s a bit above bra strap length but longer than arm pit length. I work in anatomy so an accurate descriptor would be inferior angle of the scapula! :D

LittleHealthy
June 16th, 2020, 08:59 PM
I tried to find a length description for it.. it’s a bit above bra strap length but longer than arm pit length. I work in anatomy so an accurate descriptor would be inferior angle of the scapula! :D
Haha! Congratulations on being inferior angle of the scalpula-length!
I'm sure that if you continue to wear your hair down relatively regularly, then you'll just be used to managing it! :)

Angela_Rose
June 18th, 2020, 03:41 AM
Of course it can. It just depends on what level of damage and inconvenience the wearer is willing to put up with.

My hair is currently at Classisc-ish and is almost never loose. Why? It's inconvenient to have it down all the time and where I work (a garage that caters to tractor trailers and other heavy equipment), it has the potential to be downright hazardous to my health! What would happen if someday I got too close to whirring machinery and my hair got sucked in? Mechanical damage to my precious tresses would be the least of my worries, because the scalp to which the hair is attached might no longer be attached to my precious head!

Do I occasionally wear it down? Sure. It's pretty and I work hard to maintain its health! I like to show it off, especially during a Bun Drop.
Do I mostly keep it up? Sure. A) work. B) cleaning the cat box. C) washing dishes. D) kayaking- I keep it up so it doesn't rub on the seat or get tangled in my arms as I paddle. E) etc.

embee
June 18th, 2020, 05:05 AM
When I always wore my hair down I could never get beyond BSL. I thought that was as long as I could grow it. :( Felt very sad.

The only times I would put my hair up or tie it back were when I worked with fire or machinery... it's too dangerous to have long hair floating around at those times.

pisinoe
June 18th, 2020, 06:42 AM
I wear my hair loose 98% of the time and I don't see any need to put it up except when I'm feeling hot and sticky. I have no split ends or any length issues at waist because I use good products and protect the length by doing the LCO method and that seals the moisture in and the good ingredients/silicones protect it.

harpgal
June 18th, 2020, 11:23 AM
It really depends on the length of your hair. For my part...no.

Ragtatter
June 18th, 2020, 11:28 AM
It can also depend heavily on the people you're around. Back when my hair was tailbone length, I had a coworker who just could not help herself and would pet me like a cat.

Very sweet old lady, an "everybody's grandma" type. Didn't have the heart to tell her to knock it off, and I found that pinning it up solved the problem.

It also might be best to pin your hair up around grabby toddlers. XD

0xalis
June 18th, 2020, 02:25 PM
I had a friend who had classic length hair and wore it down, in a low pony, or braid at all times. I also knew of a girl that went to our high school who had knee length hair that wore it in what I call a "mermaid tail" style, mostly down but secured the last few inches with a ponytail to keep it from going everywhere (here's an example (https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/605342/final-fantasy-vii-remake-play-arts-kai-tifa-lockhart-action-figure), she's a video game character but hey it's the hairstyle I'm referring to!) And when I was a little kid I grew to waist+ while wearing my hair down 99% of the time.

Xlena
June 18th, 2020, 02:37 PM
I think it's what you want. I have past WL and I wear it down all the time, I don't like wearing my hair up at all

June 20th, 2020, 08:02 AM
I worn it down or in ponytails, not braids/buns and it grown to classic.

I'm the other way though, I hate loose hair.

Wendyclaire
June 20th, 2020, 02:59 PM
So happy to hear from people who also love their hair down and not in buns or braids. I thought I was the only one! Hate buns on me. They make me look like grandma!