PDA

View Full Version : Hair Changing Texture As I Age

hipmama1970
June 1st, 2020, 10:46 PM
(I searched for another thread on this topic and didn't find one, but I may well have missed something. I often look for things everywhere only to have someone else find them right at my fingertips. So, please forgive me, and feel free to close this thread if I am repeating one. Thank you.)

My hair is getting wavier/curlier as I get older. I don't know if it's hormonal, diet related, or something I'm doing. I now have a patch in the back that's so curly my hairdresser asked if I'm turning into a poodle! (She meant it with love.) But, it's not just there, it's changing all over.

It's getting more gray at the same time, could that have something to do with it?

Is this something other people experience? What should I expect?

ExpectoPatronum
June 1st, 2020, 11:06 PM
I'm not quite in the same age group as you, but my hair as a child was very straight/wavy (1c/2a). I'm close to 30 now and my hair is very much a 2c/3a, so I think it's normal for hair to get curlier as you get older.

Servana
June 2nd, 2020, 04:21 AM
Yes this is normal. Especially if you are getting greys - these hairs tend to be coarse and wavy or curly.

My dad had blonde, straight hair as a kid, which was black and wavy by the time he was an adult and now in his late 60s his hair is all grey and it's curly now, about 3A.

I have a similar story where my hair was almost black and very straight as a child, and as I've gotten older it's gotten lighter and wavier by the year.

I think generally hair gets more textured as you get older and not the other way around.

lapushka
June 2nd, 2020, 04:23 AM
I am not experiencing anything, and I am about to be 48. I think you just can't compare, it is very individual. During puberty I went from slick straight (1b/c), with no "fuzz" to fluffy, fuzzy 2b/c hair and boy, that was something.

So yes, hormones can do funny stuff.

unheardletters
June 2nd, 2020, 06:20 AM
My texture has changed. As a child I had very pale blonde, 1a, fine hair. It started changing to wavy, coarse, and light brown when I about 5, but it was a slow, gradual change starting with just a few hairs. By the time I got to 12 years old it was fully changed. I started getting spiral curls in my 30s. And now my grey hairs appear to be 3b curls.

lapushka
June 2nd, 2020, 07:23 AM
My texture has changed. As a child I had very pale blonde, 1a, fine hair. It started changing to wavy, coarse, and light brown when I about 5, but it was a slow, gradual change starting with just a few hairs. By the time I got to 12 years old it was fully changed. I started getting spiral curls in my 30s. And now my grey hairs appear to be 3b curls.

Toddler hair is notorious for change, though. :)

truepeacenik
June 2nd, 2020, 10:13 AM
(I searched for another thread on this topic and didn't find one, but I may well have missed something. I often look for things everywhere only to have someone else find them right at my fingertips. So, please forgive me, and feel free to close this thread if I am repeating one. Thank you.)

My hair is getting wavier/curlier as I get older. I don't know if it's hormonal, diet related, or something I'm doing. I now have a patch in the back that's so curly my hairdresser asked if I'm turning into a poodle! (She meant it with love.) But, it's not just there, it's changing all over.

It's getting more gray at the same time, could that have something to do with it?

51, Denver Metro (JeffCo), Hippie mama, and slowly getting silvers.
The colorless hairs are a different texture, for sure, and mine are starting from “highly gravity effected.”
I find the climate helps with our impending crone hair texture, too.

I feed and moisturize them well and try to corral them in with the rest.

The worst are the ones that grow straight up for a couple weeks before joining the rest.
It’s My Favorite Martian Goes Punk.

lithostoic
June 2nd, 2020, 10:34 AM
My mom's hair was always pretty straight but now she's 50 (sorry mom haha) and I'd call it 2b. My hair was very straight too and at 23 it's 1c/2a so I expect it to keep getting more textured, like my mom.

Jools69
June 2nd, 2020, 11:02 AM
My hair when I was much younger was dead straight and no curl would stay unless I got a perm. When I reached my mid 40s though, it start becoming wurly (wavy in most parts with some ringlets). Now my hair is much longer at 50, I have a looser waves, probably because of the weight of the length. Be interesting to see if I ever cut my hair short again, if the tighter waves will come me back.

harpgal
June 2nd, 2020, 11:13 AM
I am getting more and more silvers/whites. They are definitely coarser and wavier. Even into my 40s I was very blonde. Since then I have turned darker, but now I'm getting light again. It really is pretty and I love it.

sipnsun
July 15th, 2020, 08:51 AM
I just posted about this happening to me in another thread recently! I was 1a/f/i until about age 43 when I started noticing some waves under my canopy. Now, some parts of the hair underneath could be classified as 2a and the canopy is finally showing a slight 's' pattern also. It's also gotten thicker which is odd because I expected to get thinner with age (not that I'm complaining). My husband measured my circumference the other day and it was a solid 2.5" which is .5" thicker than last year! I've got a few white strands here and there but they are also fine, not course as of yet. I can't wait to see where it goes, change is nice.

PallasAthena
July 15th, 2020, 10:23 AM
I'm 47 and going through The Change and my texture has definitely changed! My white hairs are more coarse and wiry and curlier than the hairs that are still brown but they have also become more wavy-wurly over the years. I think it must be in some part due to hormones because I also had some texture changes with puberty and pregnancy but I'm sure there are also other factors. I like it because I also have genetic hair thinning/hair loss and the extra texture gives me much needed volume.

Kake
July 15th, 2020, 11:28 AM
Mine hasn't changed at all. I'm 52 and my greys are the same fine texture as the rest of my hair.

Obsidian
July 15th, 2020, 12:55 PM
I started with mostly straight/slightly wavy with two big spiral curls on each side of my nape area.
As I aged, it got curlier in more areas. I was probably in my 30s when I really noticed the whole back of my head was curly and some on the sides too.
I still have hair from a to c, I keep hoping the top will get at least a little curlier but it doesn't seem to be changing.
I'm 30-40% gray, my gray strands are not coarse or frizzy, they look and feel just like my blond strands.

lunalocks
July 15th, 2020, 04:06 PM

This absolutely happened to me. I used to have straight hair. I mean really straight. Then around menopause time - 46ish, a strip in the back started to become wavy. Sort of on the right side of the back of my head.. Then it became wavier and started to spread out. Now all my hair is wavy. I even have post wash air/dry spirals sometimes. This is with my regular hairs, tho the gray ones are indeed kinky.

Dark40
July 15th, 2020, 05:32 PM

I'm almost the same age as you! And, I've noticed a couple of years ago that my hair's texture has changed too! My natural hair type and texture is 2c/3a between wavy and curly. It has a loose curl. But I relax it twice a year. That's why I only relax it twice it a year. Because, it doesn't need to be relaxed every 6-8 weeks! I've been beginning to think that I may not even need to relax my hair anymore. I don't know, and my hair is graying as well! I have a lot of gray hairs on the sides and in the crown area.

Bat
July 15th, 2020, 05:56 PM
my mother is lucky and seemed to keep the same straightness she had when younger, me on the other hand have a lot more wave and I spotted one curl D: my dad was a curly when younger so my hair might be going like his, not to happy about that I much prefer straight hair

Dark40
July 15th, 2020, 06:02 PM
I bet you aren't too happy about getting the curly hair now like your dad's, and that you prefer the straight hair. I also prefer the straight hair too. Sometimes I like my curly hair too but I prefer it straight more.

Amy-Lee
October 2nd, 2020, 05:26 AM
Same! As a child, it was straight. As a teen, I started to see waves forming. Now, my hair is very wavy. I think it's from hormonal changes.

GordonMurphella
October 2nd, 2020, 05:34 AM
Stick straight as a child, curly upon adolescence, now that I'm 65 and virgin/silver, it averages out to mermaid-y. I'm happy with it :)

Bonsai
October 2nd, 2020, 06:18 AM
When I was younger I had more curly hair than now...

BexLocks
October 2nd, 2020, 07:55 AM
My hair has also become wavy from 1a/b, but I'm not sure exactly when it happened. I always combed it when wet until joining LHC, and that knocks the wave out. Drying without touching, there is some definite curl. I'm mid 40's with one or two gray hairs just now coming in. I'm curious what the future holds for me. It's nice to have more volume now!