PDA

View Full Version : Going to cut tomorrow... I think

Aicha
November 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I think I'm going to take the plunge and chop my hair off to BSL tomorrow! I've been thinking about it for a few weeks now and I think I'm ready. I feel like the length has gotten unmanageable and the ends are getting too thin for my taste. Also, I almost never wear my hair down any more and I'd like to be able to do that without worrying about tangles. I'm planning to donate it to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths.

I'm also planning to ask for some bangs, kind of like Liv Tyler's. http://www.hairspotlight.com/liv-rocking-a-fringe.html My DH says it will look too much like Cher's hair if I cut it like that. :shrug: I think it's pretty cute! :p

I'm looking forward to a change and also a bit nervous since I've had long, all one length hair for about 5 years now. I guess I'm just looking for some support or encouragement! :o TIA :D

Edited to add that I did cut my hair and here is the post with pics:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=347513#post347513

Jean_Grey
November 10th, 2008, 08:56 PM
If you've been thinking about it a few weeks, it's hardly an impulse move. Enjoy getting to wear your hair down again! It's all about being happy with your tresses, and if you aren't enjoying your hair to its fullest, then it sounds like you're making the right move!

I think the Liv Tyler bangs are adorable, too. If I didn't have a cowlick, those are the bangs I'd have.

And, really, to the world outside of LHC, BSL is still quite long. :)

Arcana
November 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I agree, BSL is still quite long to those outside LHC, and if you feel like you're going to get more out of having shorter hair, then go for it! I find that things that stick with me for multiple weeks, or longe, are usually things I've thought about quite thouroughly and really feel are what I want/need or whatever at that point, so if you've been thinking about it that long, and feel like you're ready to do that I'd say go for it!

Curlsgirl
November 10th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I must say your hair is just gorgeous and I can't say you should cut. Sorry! BUT I do know that you must know what you are doing so can I just suggest cutting a little less and then some more later? That way it won't be as big of a shock? Otherwise, please come back and post pics so we can oooooooh and ahhhhhhhhh okay? :D

purplebubba
November 10th, 2008, 09:09 PM
If people weren't allowed to cut here there'd be many stubborn people on other sites posting how they couldn't cut their hair here. That isn't the case so feel free to do what you like. It's your journey to your goals. Long is however long You want Yours.

Arielle8960
November 10th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Your hair is beautiful! I've heard good things thus far about Beautiful Lengths -- how many inches are you going to cut?

I agree that the bangs look nice. I wish my widow's peak would allow me to have them! I'm sure they'll look great.

Good luck, and post pics so we can see your new style!

Aicha
November 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words! :flower: It's encouraging to read your comments and know that you understand what I'm feeling. I'll post pics once I've made the chop. :scissors: I'm not sure exactly how many inches it will be, but at least 8 or more.

No work for me tomorrow, so I'm hoping that I can get an appointment at the hair salon around the corner. Wish me luck! :bluebiggr

Carina
November 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I had a big cut in august and I still regret it.I cut off 10 inches:agape:.I think you have beautiful hair.But I also know the feeling of having hair that is in big need of an updo so it does not tangle.Good luck to you:waving:.

Shadow Walker
November 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I must say, your hair looks simply gorgeous, and if you have your mind made up to cut then I say go for it. Take some pictures before you chop as well, that's one thing I regret not doing when I cut off my hair a long time ago, even though it wasn't that long. Good luck.

maskedrose
November 11th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Hmmm, I do love your hair now, but if it's getting to be too much, then you should definitely go for a bit of change. I dunno, it might be easier to go to waist first and see how you like it and then go to BSL if you still need more. Definitely post pics when you're done!

wizzel
November 11th, 2008, 12:54 AM
The most important thing is that you like what you do with your hair. At the same time be careful so you wont regret what you do with it. I cut my hair Quite short years ago and it is just now getting back to were i like it. So enjoy but be sure you want to cut! It sounds like this is not a rash idea so enjoy!!

tiny_teesha
November 11th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Ooo goodluck, i hope you don't regret it, i don't regret my chop to BSL at all! :) But for the record, I think your ends are THICK and your hair is REALLY impressive, take lots of before the chop photos, because it will be a few years before you are back there again! :)

Dolly
November 11th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I can understand your wanting cut, but I think I would go a bit more gradual.....maybe to waist, and add the bangs. Wear that for a couple weeks, and then if you still want to cut more, do it.

To prevent the "Cher hairstyle", I went with eyebrow-length bangs but not so heavy.....they are more wispy eyebrow bangs......

suicides_eve
November 11th, 2008, 06:44 AM
i think those bangs look so cute! i would do them but my hair is to curly
Even if you did cut it to BSL- it will grow back to you current length in no time.

Indigosails
November 11th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Your hair is beautiful and will be beautiful with the new cut. I would love to have bangs, but have a funky cowlick on the front of my head. Enjoy your hair cut.

lora410
November 11th, 2008, 07:14 AM
It's about what makes YOU happy. if this is what you want then so be it. I am glad you are donating it to a good cause though :flower:

neon-dream
November 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Wow! That will be a change!!
Well, as long as you're happy with the change =)
I would cut it in stages if you only think you're ready, but thats upto you!
xxx

joyfulmom4
November 11th, 2008, 08:01 AM
You have gorgeous hair, so I'm sure you'll look great at any length. As for the bangs, I think the choice is all about face shape. They look nice on Liv Tyler w/ her long oval face shape. If you have a similar shape, I think they'd be cute. I could never wear bangs like that b/c my forehead is very short and my face is much rounder. Choose whatever flatters your own shape.

Also, if there's any question at all about cutting the length (not arguing against it, your hair, your choice of course) you might try getting the bangs cut first and see how you like your hair then. If you still want a bigger change, then you could take the plunge and cut the length. Otoh, BSL really is a nice length and gives you plenty of options. I wear my almost-classic length hair down all the time though. Who says you can't?:D

Periwinkle
November 11th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I must say, your hair looks simply gorgeous, and if you have your mind made up to cut then I say go for it. Take some pictures before you chop as well, that's one thing I regret not doing when I cut off my hair a long time ago, even though it wasn't that long. Good luck.

I agree - make sure you get one last really good shot before it goes :)

Your hair is absolutely beautiful and I would love to have it myself, but just because other people like it doesn't mean it's right for you. Since you've been thinking about it a long time and you're sure of your decision, I say go for it - but only if you have a camera ready for the before-and-after shots! :D

spidermom
November 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Be sure to check out face shapes and bangs. The ones you linked are cute on people with long faces and perfectly proportioned oval faces. On someone with a rounded square face shape like mine, they'd be hideous. As for cutting, you have gorgeous hair, and I'm sure it will still be gorgeous at BSL. After I reach my goal of classic or terminal (whichever comes first), I'm thinking of going back to BSL with long layers myself. I miss my curl and being able to wear it down.

Aicha
November 11th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Thank you for all of the lovely comments everyone, you are all so supportive and helpful! :)

I wear my almost-classic length hair down all the time though. Who says you can't?:D

You're lucky that you can wear your hair down! I would love to wear my hair down more often, but it gets so tangled and unmanageable when I wear it down.

Your hair is absolutely beautiful and I would love to have it myself, but just because other people like it doesn't mean it's right for you.

It's not that tailbone length isn't right for me, I do love this length and enjoy the different updos I can do with it. But I think I'm ready for a change and something a bit more stylish and up to date, you know what I mean? I figure it's just hair and it's meant to be fun. It will grow back and I can keep experimenting with new styles if I want to.

Thank you again everyone for your thoughtful comments, I truly appreciate it. I'll post pics after I go through with it! :flower:

Aicha
November 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Be sure to check out face shapes and bangs. The ones you linked are cute on people with long faces and perfectly proportioned oval faces.

You're right, Spidermom. I used to have bangs, sort of short and blunt, so I know that I like the way I look with them. With the Liv Tyler style bangs, I figure that if I don't like them, they will grow out pretty quickly. I could turn them into side-swept bangs after a while if I wanted to.

cindy58
November 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Good luck with your trim! You're right, it will grow back if you want it longer. BSL is still reasonably long. Though I do like your hair as it is too.

Occasionally I'm tempted with a change when I see another lady who works in the same org but a different location. She really has beautiful hair -- it's about BSL with some long layers. But I don't know how well that would work without blowdrying, as it probably wouldn't lay the same.

jojo
November 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
At least you have thought deeply about this and BSL is considered long still. Plus if it makes you happy thats all what matters.

I cannot wait to see the photos. x

embee
November 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hope you like the new shorter length.

I cut 8" right before joining TLHC and it was a mistake for me. But I hadn't thought about it much, just wanted "a change".

Well, I sure did get one! ;)

Be sure to post some "after" pics!

Robbi Dehlinger
November 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
If I had hair like that I would DIE before I would cut it, but it is your hair and you can always grow it back, but I also agree to maybe only take 4 or 5 inches off to avoid the "shicked" feeling?

mommy101405
November 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I def understand the wanting to cut. I am constantly back and forth. You have gorgeous hair but I do understand that it would be a lot to deal with and could get difficult to wear it down. I hope your cut goes well and you are happy with it. I look forward to seeing pics :)

LaurelSpring
November 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Just make sure the stylist does exactly what you want and watch them like a hawk! I went in once for bangs and she did a horrible chop job on it. I showed her a picture similar to the one you posted and she chopped it straight across almost to the top of my ear. It was hideous and I had a blind date the next night!

The only way you will know if you will like it is to do it and if you dont like it remember how you felt so you can recall it the next time. You may love it and be totally happy. There is just no way to know in advance really.

vindo
November 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I love Liv's bangs, I'm sure they would look great ( have a fondness for bangs ^^)

Good luck with your cut, choose the salon and cut wisely and you will be very happy.
I still remember what getting a new cut felt like :p it's exiting.

purplebubba
November 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I don't know if you will be cutting more than the minimum or not for the donation but a good idea for getting a better donation is to divide your hair into several tails. At least 3 or 4. This way the hair on the side is not being pulled back when being measured. I've seen so many donations where the person was trying to give just the minimum and in reality only the hair in the back was actually long enough because they used only one tail.

Panetene Beautiful Lengths has an 8 inch minimum.
For those who say to go in stages this would be her minimum if she definitely wants to donate this time.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Only have one gripe here. Stylish is whatever I wnat it to be? To me stylish is ankle length:)

Anyway, I am sure you will like it, just be CAREFUL!

jtk
November 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM
So how did the cut go?

yogachic
November 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
So how did the cut go?

I second that question? :)

Aicha
November 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
:joy: I did it yesterday! :D First I cut my bangs, I ended up going with a long side-swept bang instead of straight across brow-length bangs. Then I put my hair into two ponytails and cut 9 inches off of each. Then I bagged it up to send off to Pantene Beautiful Lengths hair donation program.

It was a bit uneven when I was done cutting, so I went to the cheapie hair salon around the corner and had the lady there even it up a bit for me. While I was there I remembered the reasons why I hate to go to salons: she ripped through a small tangle with her comb and used a round brush with other people's hairs hanging out of it to blow dry my new bangs. Gross. :steam But she did show me how to style the bangs a bit and she just evened up the back like I asked her to without taking off any more than necessary, so overall it was an ok salon experience.

I'm really happy with the cut and my hair feels so healthy and fresh right now. :cloud9: I got a ton of compliments on it today, but some people who I thought would definitely notice didn't even say a word. I guess it's because I usually wore it up or in a ponytail when it was TB length and people weren't so sure how long my hair was. Now that it's just past BSL, I feel like I will be able to wear it down much more often without having to worry about it getting tangled so easily. It's fun to try something new and it is still pretty long after all.

I'll post pics soon, I promise! Today was an extremely insane day at work and I didn't have a minute to catch my breath all day long, so pics will have to wait until tomorrow.

Thank you again to everyone for all of your support and encouragement! :flower: It really helped to hear your kind words before going through with the big chop! To anyone feeling like I did, I say go for it! :thumbsup: It's just hair and it will grow back if you miss the length. It's fun to try something new and have that feeling that all of the split ends and damage are gone for the moment.

wintersun99
November 12th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Ohhooooo, can't wait for pictures! I am so glad to hear that you are happy with your hair. :)

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Thats wonderful news, I am so pleased you are happy with your haircut and look forward to the photos. xxx

maskedrose
November 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Oh yes, pictures pretty please? I'm so glad you're happy!

purplebubba
November 12th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Glad it turned out ok in the end. Sorry to hear about the ripping and having to fix it but glad she didn't hack at it more.

gretchen_hair
November 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Congrats! I am glad you arte happy!> I cant wait to see pics! I too want side swept bangs but dont have guts to do it.

sahasralah
November 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Congrats!

Sometimes a change is good. I'm glad you are happy!

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM
You have gorgeous hair! I'm so glad you are happy with your new style!! Can't wait to see photos :)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 12th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Just past BSL is still long by most of the "NON-LHC Standard?" I hope it grows back to its orginal length looking better than ever:)

Jean_Grey
November 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Yay! I'm glad you don't have buyer's remorse! ;) That's why waiting a few weeks to be sure is such a good thing! I'm anxiously awaiting the pictures too.

Kitara
November 13th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Pictures or it never happened http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-colbert.gif

Addy
November 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I am soooo happy that you are happy!

Can't wait to see pics! :)

DarkChocolate
November 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I cannot wait to see your after pictures:)

You had gorgeous hair before too:)

Sometimes hair is in need of a cut. I recently trimmed a few inches off the middle because the middle of my hair grows much faster than the rest but the good thing is that my hair tips are all one color and don't have the transparent taper. Another thing is that my hair looks fuller because it is all one length:)

It is sad to cut it but if you get healthy hair after wards there is a reward in it:)

Xandergrammy
November 14th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I love that look and would wear my hair like that if I didn't have a pesky cowlick. Have fun with it. I hope you post pictures.

Aicha
November 16th, 2008, 05:23 PM
As promised, here are some pics of my new haircut. Sorry it took me so long to post them! :D

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z53/Aicha_07/IMG_0475-1.jpghttp://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z53/Aicha_07/IMG_0478-1-1.jpg

Addy
November 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM
WoW! It looks very nice! :)

1nuitblanche
November 16th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Your hair looks beautiful! (As does the greenery--there's snow already here.)

Shadow Walker
November 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Your stylist did an amazing job, your hair is fantastic! It's still very long too, about waist length it looks.

Congrats! :)

Arielle8960
November 16th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Your hair looks great, and I like the bangs, too. I'm so glad it turned out well and that you're happy with it.

MandaMom2Three
November 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
WOW!! That looks SO pretty!!!!

amz1998
November 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Aicha-Welcome to the club! I cut my tailbone length hair back to bsl a week ago. Yes, it was traumatic, but I weathered through it by telling the stylist that I really needed a change and blah, blah, blah. It actually looks good, but I am having a bit of cutter's remorse. I miss feeling my hair on my butt, but (tehe) I don't miss constantly wearing it up. I never wore it down.

So, I am going to grow it back. Something to look forward to again! Yay! Anyhoo-I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!

PS-It took me about two months of thinking about it before I did it. But, overall, I am kind of glad I took the plunge. I really needed something different. On the flip side, I am so a low-maintenance kind of girl that it is driving me crazy to have to do things with my hair now. LOL!

gretchen_hair
November 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM
The bangs are so cute !

RedJen
November 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Looks great! I suspect your hair grows pretty quickly, too. I have a friend with hair similar to yours, and she cuts off at least five inches twice a year to keep it at waist-length. But even if you want to keep it shorter, it looks really great at that length.

Even though I personally want super-long hair, I really like the look of just-past BSL to waist-length hair.

Aicha
November 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the sweet words, everyone! :flower: I'm really glad I did it, especially since I was able to donate it and still keep a lot of length. It feels so healthy and silky now, I guess the ends had a lot of damage that I didn't really notice. And I love being able to wear it down more often whereas before I felt like I always had to keep it up to prevent tangles and damage.

Thank you to everyone who offered their support, encouragement and advice. LHCers are the best!

Darkhorse1
November 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM
OH WOW! Gorgeous!!! I love it! And I'm glad you love it too :) What lovely hair. And can I have your figure too? ;)

GlassEyes
November 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Very nice, and I agree that it looks waist length rather than BSL. ^_^

Still quite long.

sneakybea
November 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Looks great! I hope you have fun with it, being able to wear it down now and so forth.

purplebubba
November 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Looks great.
I'd like to suggest that you could edit your first post to mention that you already did it and perhaps link to the picture post or the post from after you got home so that the new people to the thread don't think you're still in the thinking mode ;)

Aicha
November 16th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Looks great.
I'd like to suggest that you could edit your first post to mention that you already did it and perhaps link to the picture post or the post from after you got home so that the new people to the thread don't think you're still in the thinking mode ;)

Thanks for the suggestion! I just did it. :)

Carina
November 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Congratulations to a great cut.You have beautiful hair.

Vitalai
November 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Your hair is beautiful! I'm glad you are happy with it.

Silver Strands
November 18th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Beautiful hair before and after.
I'm sure both lengths have their pros and cons.

Glad you're happy and thanks for sharing.

maskedrose
November 18th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Yay! It looks awesome! The hemline is so nice and thick and I love the bangs :)

joyfulmom4
November 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Oh, that's very pretty. The bangs are nice and soft and your length is lovely. I'm so glad you're happy with the look too.

LadyLongLocks
November 18th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Your hair looks very nice after the cut. It is still long. Cute bangs too.
I know what you mean about not wearing your hair down at the longer length, I hardly wear mine down since mine is to knees. Funny thing is that the length I may go back too in the future is your longest length. I could wear it down all the time at that length, but that's me :)
Being happy with your hair is the most important thing!
Thank you for sharing your experience.

DarkChocolate
November 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Your hair looks very nice:)
It is still quite long:)

bjt
November 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM
wow, it looks great!
is there a technique you followed to cut your bangs? I've thought about doing that, but just can't quite figure it out...

Nic's
November 18th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Wow that looks great. Your ends are looking really good.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 19th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Well, it IS shorter, but looks nice. It will still be long by most "wrodly" standards, howvere?

purplebubba
November 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM
It's still long enough for people to suggest donating so it's still long.

Juneii
November 19th, 2008, 11:38 PM
your hair still looks amazing, I think it's closer to mid back than bsl :] either way I still consider it long and I'm sure many other people will too

LisaButz2001
November 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Your hair doesn't look significantly shorter, but I think the bottom looked thicker in your prior signature picture. If you like it though that's what counts.

Oskimosa
November 22nd, 2008, 11:54 PM
It looks great! It's still long and very healthy-looking :)