PDA

View Full Version : Hair pain?

Lucyb
May 26th, 2020, 03:43 PM
Ahhhghhh!

So I've had hair shedding issues for a while, but this is something else. For the last week I've been suffering from bad aches/pains at the back and top of my hair. Sometimes it can literally feel as if there's a band around my head, tightening and tightening, and it can give me headaches, eye pain, and nausea.

It's probably my own fault. I noticed that I was seeing an increase in hair shedding (have been for a few months now) and I've tried to change my hair routine to work with this. Somehow I messed things up, and ended up with very greasy hair for a few days. Which I sort of fixated on, and started trying to detangle/feel with my fingers. It feels so obvious when I've written it out, but all that prodding and pushing was in the exact area the pain is now. Has anyone else ever had this? Has it just gone away in time?

lapushka
May 26th, 2020, 03:48 PM
Just start washing like you used to and it should go away.

embee
May 26th, 2020, 04:06 PM
If you've been trying to wear your hair up in a different way (say, top knot vs. low bun), it might be that scalp pain that so many of us have experienced.

longhairedlady
May 26th, 2020, 04:07 PM
If my hair gets too greasy i get scalp pain too. It hurts to brush it or wash it! But it eases up after i wash it.

ZoeZ
May 27th, 2020, 11:34 AM
Same here, if I don't wash by the third day, I get scalp pain, especially if I comb it in a different direction than it's used to laying (for instance, if I turn my head upside down and comb out). Give yourself a nice shampoo scalp massage and it should go away in a few hours.

Feral_
May 27th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Although there are no muscles on the actual top of the scalp, only aperneurosis, the muscles at the front, side, and back of the head can attribute to scalp pain. Wearing your hair loose and giving the front, side, and back of your head a moderate pressure massage with your finger pads can help.

Some taut updo’s can pull on the epicranial muscles, even a low force load over time will cause tension, sometimes pain. Also at the back under the occipital ridge don’t be surprised to find trigger points of exquisite tenderness, as major back muscles attach there and they can be prone to tension. Particularly with forward head postures and internal rotation of the shoulders.

It’s all connected. If you don’t believe me, try this - place your hands on the back of your head, so your elbows are wide. Close your eyes. Keeping your eyes closed ‘look‘ left, then right. You should be able to ‘feel‘ the corresponding side under your fingers. That’s fascia!

Ylva
May 27th, 2020, 12:03 PM
It’s all connected. If you don’t believe me, try this - place your hands on the back of your head, so your elbows are wide. Close your eyes. Keeping your eyes closed ‘look‘ left, then right. You should be able to ‘feel‘ the corresponding side under your fingers. That’s fascia!

Waaaaaaaaah that's so weiiirrrdddd!! :D But I love it!

SleepyTangles
May 27th, 2020, 12:51 PM
Ahhhghhh!

So I've had hair shedding issues for a while, but this is something else. For the last week I've been suffering from bad aches/pains at the back and top of my hair. Sometimes it can literally feel as if there's a band around my head, tightening and tightening, and it can give me headaches, eye pain, and nausea.

It's probably my own fault. I noticed that I was seeing an increase in hair shedding (have been for a few months now) and I've tried to change my hair routine to work with this. Somehow I messed things up, and ended up with very greasy hair for a few days. Which I sort of fixated on, and started trying to detangle/feel with my fingers. It feels so obvious when I've written it out, but all that prodding and pushing was in the exact area the pain is now. Has anyone else ever had this? Has it just gone away in time?

Not the same, but my scalp is very sensitive. I really have to switch hairstyle often. My roots do better with loose hair, anyway (but not my ends ;) !)
For me yes, it goes away, provided that nothing is too tight.
I´d try to remove the cause of the pain, then waiting a week while handling your head with care :flower:. Go with the softest handling possible. I think it may go away pretty quickly!

ynne
May 28th, 2020, 07:54 PM
I don't seem to be able to find the spot! Where exactly is it?

longhairedlady
May 28th, 2020, 09:44 PM
Waaaaaaaaah that's so weiiirrrdddd!! :D But I love it!

Hahaha i did the same thing too!

Feral_
May 29th, 2020, 12:19 AM
I don't seem to be able to find the spot! Where exactly is it?

Sitting up. Hands behind the ears, finger pads directly on to the scalp. In some people it is a very slight sensation, practice and you will feel it! :-)