PDA

View Full Version : Harpgal's pinless braided bun

Pouncequick
May 26th, 2020, 11:33 AM
Hey all. I forget sometimes how long I've been lurking around here and I can't find the instructions for harpgal's pinless braided bun anymore. It used to work great for me years ago when my hair was moody (soft, slick, too clean, won't stay up) and since I clarified recently I'm having a bit of an unruly hair day. Does anyone know if the instructions still exist somewhere on the net or if it's the same as the center held braided bun in the hairstyle thesaurus? Right now all I can find are links to archived threads within archived threads that don't work anymore and links to 404 errors from pinterest when I search using Google.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

AmaryllisRed
May 26th, 2020, 12:05 PM
When I do a pinless braided bun, I do it according to the instructions for the center held braided bun in the thesaurus. "Start with any braid, insert tool of choice before the braid starts, wrap the braid behind the tool, wrap the tail tight behind the bun. Stays in place without pins, but a pin through the tassle ensures stability, or a second stick is pretty."
I don't know if that's the same method harpgal uses but you could probably message her and ask. :)

Shorty89
May 26th, 2020, 05:38 PM
When I do a pinless braided bun, I do it according to the instructions for the center held braided bun in the thesaurus. "Start with any braid, insert tool of choice before the braid starts, wrap the braid behind the tool, wrap the tail tight behind the bun. Stays in place without pins, but a pin through the tassle ensures stability, or a second stick is pretty."
I don't know if that's the same method harpgal uses but you could probably message her and ask. :)

That's what I do as well. I generally do a french braid to help it stay better.

harpgal
May 27th, 2020, 08:50 AM
Well, it was quite a shock to spot my name, after all these years! I'll be happy to help, if I can.

Here goes:

1. Create a single English braid
2. Gently push a hair stick through the top of the braid, right against your scalp
3. Bring the braid up and over the hair stick, and down around the bottom, (if your hair is long enough you can then bring your braid up and over the top, creating a figure 8.)
4. Otherwise, just keep wrapping your braid around the stick
5. Be sure and wrap the braid tassel tightly around the base at the end
6. Also, take both hands on either side of your head and move your hair forward so there is not stress on your hairline

After you are finished, you can pull the bun apart just a bit on the stick.

I hope this helps, y'all.

Pouncequick
May 27th, 2020, 05:27 PM
Thank you AmaryllisRed and Shorty89 for your assistance.

Thank you so much harpgal for clarifying the instructions for me. I was able to do it today and it held nicely. It rests so comfortably that I may nominate it as my new car bun since thus far I take every hairstyle down about an hour into driving and I commute three hours one way every Friday.
I'm really glad you're still around. I always find your knowledge valuable.

harpgal
May 28th, 2020, 04:29 AM
You are very welcome, Pouncequick. I'm glad this bun works for you. I do this bun all the time. It has become a real life-saver for me. :)