PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with really coarse and really thin hair?

meepster
May 21st, 2020, 10:30 PM
I have what I think is a relatively unusual hairtype; just wondering if anyone else is like me out there. I have very coarse and stiff hair, but not very much of it. It's very poofy, so it looks like there's a lot of hair there, but the ponytail circumference is pretty pitiful. While it's still relatively short now, when I had it long, I could not get it in a bun or any sort of twist because it was so stiff it would get untwisted, and also the size of the bun was pretty pitiful (but when un-bunned, the hair would poof out into a giant poof). Anyone else like me? I've kept it short most of my life, but I'd like to grow it out again, and it would be nice to see some hair-spiration from those of you who have similar hair. And maybe some advice for what to do with hair like that.

Tinyponies
May 22nd, 2020, 06:48 AM
Hiya, I don’t have your type (it could indeed be quite rare), but wanted to stop by and wish you best of luck with your new experiment.

I should imagine that adding moisture as much as you can might help with pliability, and your hair type might have changed since last time it was long too, so might be a thing to do some hair typing when it’s long enough.

My best advice is to work with what you have, not what you think should be, and don’t buy the story that anyone’s hair is better than yours. Mind your language when referring to your hair (it’s listening, you know).

Look forward to seeing and reading about your journey.

lapushka
May 22nd, 2020, 07:52 AM
Hiya, I don’t have your type (it could indeed be quite rare), but wanted to stop by and wish you best of luck with your new experiment.

I should imagine that adding moisture as much as you can might help with pliability, and your hair type might have changed since last time it was long too, so might be a thing to do some hair typing when it’s long enough.

My best advice is to work with what you have, not what you think should be, and don’t buy the story that anyone’s hair is better than yours. Mind your language when referring to your hair (it’s listening, you know).

^^ Seconding that advice; it's great advice.

Maybe your hair wasn't long enough for the buns at first? How long have you gotten it? What was your longest?

meepster
May 22nd, 2020, 09:51 PM
^^ Seconding that advice; it's great advice.

Maybe your hair wasn't long enough for the buns at first? How long have you gotten it? What was your longest?

That's the other thing. I'm not sure how long it can grow. The last time I had it long, I only got it to a little more than shoulder length, and I'm not sure how much longer it could have gotten. I technically had enough length for a bun or some sort of twist thing, but it was so stiff that it would just sproing out of whatever hairstyle I had it in.

meepster
May 22nd, 2020, 09:53 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the advice and the encouragement. There was a pregnancy and childbirth in between my last hair experiment and now, so maybe my hair changed between then and now (it certainly got more salt-and-peppery since then). We'll see what happens.

squirrrel
May 23rd, 2020, 12:33 AM
Sounds to m like you want to just keep experimenting. See what things appeal as something to try, check in on those threads with results to see if people have advice as to different ways to manage it work better. Remember that it does take years for hair to grow and keep an eye on what your ends are like. And remember that every hair type has its advantages. It sounds like your hair will be less likely to become too heavy than others with lots of thick hair might find...

SleepyTangles
May 23rd, 2020, 02:25 AM
Welcome meepster, I don't have your type of hair but I've seen people with coarse yet surprisingly thin hair... and their hair just looks beautiful!
I think that when your hair healthy and well taken care it just shows, It looks pretty regardless from circumference.

lapushka
May 25th, 2020, 03:20 PM
That's the other thing. I'm not sure how long it can grow. The last time I had it long, I only got it to a little more than shoulder length, and I'm not sure how much longer it could have gotten. I technically had enough length for a bun or some sort of twist thing, but it was so stiff that it would just sproing out of whatever hairstyle I had it in.

Shoulder length, even with a i thickness really isn't long enough for buns, really. If it gets itself loose, it's not long enough. You need to comfortably be able to coil it, lay it down and pin it without the hair resisting the form you put it in.

meepster
May 25th, 2020, 10:37 PM
Shoulder length, even with a i thickness really isn't long enough for buns, really. If it gets itself loose, it's not long enough. You need to comfortably be able to coil it, lay it down and pin it without the hair resisting the form you put it in.

Ah, that may be why I was having trouble. Maybe with the coarseness of my hair, it would need an even longer length to stay put in a bun (it's very stiff and resists just about anything - seriously, it's more like fishing line than hair). I'm not sure such a length is attainable for me, but I will at least give it a try.

lapushka
May 25th, 2020, 11:51 PM
Ah, that may be why I was having trouble. Maybe with the coarseness of my hair, it would need an even longer length to stay put in a bun (it's very stiff and resists just about anything - seriously, it's more like fishing line than hair). I'm not sure such a length is attainable for me, but I will at least give it a try.

Well, why not try? It's as good a time as any. And we're here to cheer you on. :D

Ylva
May 26th, 2020, 03:03 AM
Your hair sounds very unique! Definitely just keep growing to see how it behaves at longer lengths. Coarse strands are excellent at sticking around through damage and whatnot, so even if you don't have the greatest thickness now, you might not experience a lot of taper either.

bokeh
May 26th, 2020, 10:24 AM
My hair is also super coarse. I can tell you with more length my hair has become much easier to control.