PDA

View Full Version : Platelet rich plasma

amiraaah
May 15th, 2020, 05:48 PM
Hey everybody,
A friend of mine told me about PRP. I have never heard about it before and I don’t know how it works. I created this thread to ask whether it’s effective or not, how it works and if there are any risks at all? Also I want to know whether any of you tried it or planning to try it?

Sweet_Decadence
May 15th, 2020, 05:52 PM
My understanding is that its a healing acceleratant for muscle injuries. Never heard of it having any properties for hair growth?

Kat
May 16th, 2020, 09:26 AM
Effective for what?

Shorty89
May 16th, 2020, 09:39 AM
Considering the cost of it and the fact that there's always a shortage of blood products, I think any potential benefit would be eclipsed by the fact that blood products should be used for medical issues, not vanity.

lapushka
May 16th, 2020, 05:13 PM
Effective for what?

I wonder about that as well? Since it's on the "mane" forum. Could it be for hair purposes? Surely not?

I agree with the fact that blood products should be used and reserved for medical issues. :flower: Sorry. :o

amiraaah
May 16th, 2020, 07:23 PM
It’s my first time learning about it too that’s why i posted this thread. I know blood should be reserved for medical issues but i’m just wondering about what she told me because it seemed really weird. The girl said it’s very effective for treating thinning hair and alopecia specifically. But i don’t quite get the science behind it. I was just surprised as you since in my country it seems to be a very growing trend right now many people are getting it done. I wanted to know whether this trend is in other countries too.
Edit: i researched it now and found this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4134641/ about it increasing the hair follicles!

lapushka
May 17th, 2020, 04:46 AM
That is so strange that it is so popular, it seems, in Egypt. I have never even heard of it here.

FennFire911
May 17th, 2020, 10:32 AM
When we do PRP treatments in the clinic for people with injuries, we draw their blood and use their own plasma. We don't dip in to the blood supply.

I've never heard of it being used for hair, but I'm going to bring this up with the doctor and if he's willing to do this to me I'll report back here on how it goes! :D

EDIT: After reading the linked study, PRP is for the treatment of a specific medical condition. I can't find anything to support this would do much for someone not dealing with alopecia. So, I really have no reason to try it. From the linked study, it does appear effective for doing what it's intended to. I would try it if I needed it.