PDA

View Full Version : Favourite styles for thin and fine hair

Locksmith
May 14th, 2020, 11:15 AM
I haven't been on here in years and years! Share your wisdom with me, fellow fine-thin-and-slippery folks...

I'm feeling really down about my hair at the moment. It's TBL, but compresses into basically nothing, and nearly every braid or updo I want to try just looks rubbish because of how little there is. Dark hair and fair skin too, and it's so lank that I get obvious scalp cleavage super easily, which only makes everything look worse :neutral: Total lack of any texture also seems to mean anything less than pinpoint precision just looks like a mess, rather than wispy and romantic. The only things that I seem to get to work are looped-and-wrapped type buns like a celtic knot bun (my daily go-to for the last ten years), but they're not very rewarding, because... well, the way it compresses down means they all look basically the exact same on me :rolleyes: I adore things like crown braids, but I never seem to have enough to work with for them. Tutorials nearly always seem to be of folks blessed with about five times as much hair as I have, so it's probably not surprising it always looks terrible on me...

I really feel like I should be able to do more with the stuff at this length! But it's almost philosophically opposed to the very concept of volume. I gave up on it for years - I'd like to give it another go, but efforts so far have only been depressing. If it's going to be long, I'd like to have some fun with it, you know? Otherwise I might as well just chop it all off. What are your favourite styles, similarly-textured folks?

MusicalSpoons
May 14th, 2020, 11:52 AM
I don't have similar hair (other than it being compressible) but if your hair hols braidwaves that might be a good starting point, especially if you can do several small french or dutch plaits overnight to get texture/volume near the roots. Or some form of heatless curls, like rag curls maybe?

Another thing for the length could be a paranda; you could go as bold or as subtle as you like with the colours and it would fill out any plait, either worn down or as the basis for a plaited bun.

bparnell75
May 14th, 2020, 12:53 PM
I am in your category. I invented the Spock bun just for this reason. It makes a big bun, but it does take a long fork to anchor it. I have also done it with two sticks in parallel one high and one lower in the bun. Cabookie is a product that helps with the pink skin showing through. Please try this suggestion before giving up. I often get jealous of those thick haired lasses. I am however making friends with my own endowments even though it is minimal.

Dark40
May 14th, 2020, 08:08 PM
You might want to try side-sweep ponytails, buns, and plaits.

Deborah
May 15th, 2020, 12:31 PM
I think a French twist looks especially good on sleek, fine hair. It's not big or poufy, but it is not supposed to be. It is however, beautiful, classic and timeless. Think Grace Kelly in Rear Window.

cjk
May 16th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Since I love to present the contrary view, here we go!

Buy your own description your hair is thin and doesn't poof up well.

And you are sad that you can't do big poofy hairdos.

Well I do understand it, I'm going to ask you one very specific question. Why are you trying to do hairdos that are opposite your hair type?

It's a cliche. The grass is always greener on the other side. But it's also true! People with straight hair want curls. Those of us with curls want our hair to be straighter so it behaves. And so forth.

I'm a man with a high hairline and a thin spot on top. Medication actually gave me a full bald spot at one point. My solution, after I got over the grieving process, was to work with that thin spot instead. While it was bald I carved my hair into a flat top, the bald spot became an intentional design element instead.

And while the hair has grown back, it was caused by medication, that spot is notably thinner than the rest. I still have to work with it.

You mentioned hair cleavage. My hair cleavage is positioned so that it goes right through the middle of my thin spot. On purpose! I actually show it off. It emphasizes the separation, the parting. And I regularly get compliments on it because of that.

My curls also create texture and a lot of frizz. Even if I braid my hair I will end up with a frizzy halo around them. A few weeks ago I made an offhand comment on this forum, that I am finally happy now that I stopped styling my curly hair as if it was straight. At least one lady took that to heart and joined me in that mindset.

Rather than complaining about what you don't have, embrace what you do have.

Let me give you an example. You have length, but you said your hair compresses to nothing. Since I happen to like braids, let's talk about boxer braids. They're symmetrical dutch braids. But a very slender braid looks absolutely amazing as boxer braids. It only serves to enhance the look. People with thick hair end up with a very different look.

Or if you want volume you can always pancake braids, they look ten times puffier than they do when compressed.

Thinner hair is so much easier to control and work with. There are a lot of people who would count you as being very fortunate.

Controlling a giant thick hair helmet is the true challenge.

MusicalSpoons
May 16th, 2020, 08:05 AM
I always enjoy reading your posts cjk! Always reframing things very constructively.

On this occasion I have to disagree with one minor point though, pancaking braids doesn't work with slippery hair; it doesn't hold and you end up with it being veeeery loose until where the braid has ended up falling to the bottom, just as squished and compact as before but this time looking distinctly silly :laugh: (I tried it once, never again! And my hair isn't even that slippery.)

BUT I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, as usual :)

Kake
May 16th, 2020, 08:27 AM
Since I love to present the contrary view, here we go!

Buy your own description your hair is thin and doesn't poof up well.

And you are sad that you can't do big poofy hairdos.

Well I do understand it, I'm going to ask you one very specific question. Why are you trying to do hairdos that are opposite your hair type?

It's a cliche. The grass is always greener on the other side. But it's also true! People with straight hair want curls. Those of us with curls want our hair to be straighter so it behaves. And so forth.

I'm a man with a high hairline and a thin spot on top. Medication actually gave me a full bald spot at one point. My solution, after I got over the grieving process, was to work with that thin spot instead. While it was bald I carved my hair into a flat top, the bald spot became an intentional design element instead.

And while the hair has grown back, it was caused by medication, that spot is notably thinner than the rest. I still have to work with it.

You mentioned hair cleavage. My hair cleavage is positioned so that it goes right through the middle of my thin spot. On purpose! I actually show it off. It emphasizes the separation, the parting. And I regularly get compliments on it because of that.

My curls also create texture and a lot of frizz. Even if I braid my hair I will end up with a frizzy halo around them. A few weeks ago I made an offhand comment on this forum, that I am finally happy now that I stopped styling my curly hair as if it was straight. At least one lady took that to heart and joined me in that mindset.

Rather than complaining about what you don't have, embrace what you do have.

Let me give you an example. You have length, but you said your hair compresses to nothing. Since I happen to like braids, let's talk about boxer braids. They're symmetrical dutch braids. But a very slender braid looks absolutely amazing as boxer braids. It only serves to enhance the look. People with thick hair end up with a very different look.

Or if you want volume you can always pancake braids, they look ten times puffier than they do when compressed.

Thinner hair is so much easier to control and work with. There are a lot of people who would count you as being very fortunate.

Controlling a giant thick hair helmet is the true challenge.

Controlling thick hair isn't a challenge for those of us with thin hair.

cjk
May 16th, 2020, 10:43 AM
Controlling thick hair isn't a challenge for those of us with thin hair.

We always want what we don't have.

My own mixed textures make me want something consistent.

With so many things in life, mindset is key. This is no different.

Kake
May 16th, 2020, 11:23 AM
But comparing yourself to others isn't helpful. This thread is asking for help with styles for a certain hair type. It's not constructive to say that that hair type is easy, that it's a different hair type that's hard work. Accepting yourself is important, but it's not always easy, and most of us still want to make the most of what we've got.

tuulie
May 16th, 2020, 11:56 AM
I have the same hair, also same length. I also struggle finding updos that I don't have to redo four times a day. I've enjoyed orchid bun and chinese bun lately. I second the suggestion someone had for French twists. I also really like parandas.

For volume, what's made a big difference for me is that I now have a bun on top of my head for the night. In the morning my hair looks amaaaazing - it's got wave and a ton of volume. It'd probably be even better with some kind of mild styling lotion or something.

cjk
May 16th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Second thoughts, kindness.

MusicalSpoons
May 16th, 2020, 02:22 PM
I think a French twist looks especially good on sleek, fine hair. It's not big or poufy, but it is not supposed to be. It is however, beautiful, classic and timeless. Think Grace Kelly in Rear Window.

Oooooh yes absolutely! :crush:

Locksmith
May 17th, 2020, 04:12 AM
Cheers folks, lots of ideas to try here! :) I tend not to have much success with braided styles because they vanish into nothing and look daft! But some new things to try here, thanks :)

Sidebar: I don't, for what it's worth, find it at all helpful to be told the grass is greener. I can reach that conclusion for myself, and it doesn't make any difference to what I do and don't find aesthetically pleasing, which is the point at hand here. I realise I probably take a dimmer view than most of being told to "change my attitude", because that's a thing I hear a whole lot about my disabilities from patronising able-bodied people who'd like to think it's all in the mind. But still. I'd sooner you didn't. It's not helpful. I'm after ideas here.

Locksmith
May 17th, 2020, 04:16 AM
I don't have similar hair (other than it being compressible) but if your hair hols braidwaves that might be a good starting point, especially if you can do several small french or dutch plaits overnight to get texture/volume near the roots. Or some form of heatless curls, like rag curls maybe?

Another thing for the length could be a paranda; you could go as bold or as subtle as you like with the colours and it would fill out any plait, either worn down or as the basis for a plaited bun.

I can get to about a 1b or 1c with braidwaves, but they don't stick around! :p I haven't tried rag curls in years, but they did used to work. Needed a ton of product not to drop out, though.

I love the idea of braiding things in! For some reason I'd never thought of doing that as part of a more complex style, rather than just as a plait. I shall give it a whirl :D

desisparkles
May 18th, 2020, 01:21 PM
I am in your category. I invented the Spock bun just for this reason. It makes a big bun, but it does take a long fork to anchor it. I have also done it with two sticks in parallel one high and one lower in the bun. Cabookie is a product that helps with the pink skin showing through. Please try this suggestion before giving up. I often get jealous of those thick haired lasses. I am however making friends with my own endowments even though it is minimal.

I love the Spock bun! It’s massive and flat and also lets me use the forks I have that are a bit too long otherwise.

I wonder, do you use leave in condish Locksmith? It seems to give my hair more bulk depending which oneI use. For instance, phyto9 leaves my hair silky and light but curls blueberry bliss adds weight and thickness.

FrayedFire
May 18th, 2020, 08:42 PM
I like to put braids on top of my head and also use accents to enhance the fineness so it looks delicate instead of thin.

Pouncequick
May 24th, 2020, 06:54 PM
The archived Thin/Fine hair thread may be useful to you. You could check it out and if no other similar threads have popped up, maybe you could restart it so that new users can get advice.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-17115.html

For added floof, you can sleep in small braids (at least two) overnight. You can also pin the hair in the front of your head into a floofy twist using bobby pins before bunning. These floofs get more impressive if you use dry shampoo or hair powder before hand.
I understand you don't like braids because you think they look daft. I would second comments others have given that they probably look nice (I like braided thin hair), but you can pancake them (tug the edges of the braid) to make them look thicker. You can also do more than a boring three strand as four and five strand braids are flatter but look wider. Another thing I like to do is rope braid my hair in three sections (after twisting the front), and then I braid the rope braids. It looks cool and rope braids give an illusion of thickness while sacrificing length.