View Full Version : Hot Oil Treatments Compare To Deep Conditioning Treatments

Dark40
May 11th, 2020, 06:09 PM
Hi all,

I was was wondering. What do you all think of both hot oil treatments comparing to deep conditioning treatments for hair growth? I have found when I used to do hot oil treatments many years ago it really helped me tremendously with hair growth! Also, the deep conditioning treatments! I remember one week I would do a hot oil treatment with a thick grease, and the next week I would do a deep conditioning treatment. I would alternate the treatments.

I would like to know what do all of you think?

blackgothicdoll
May 11th, 2020, 06:38 PM
I enjoy both. I do HOT pre-wash, and deep conditioner (sometimes with a heat cap and other times just in the shower very quickly) after wash. Pre-oiling my hair has definitely been a great help, and heat makes coconut oil work even better.

Dark40
May 12th, 2020, 10:32 AM
I enjoy both too. Your plans sounds good. I bet the Pro-oiling has greatly helped your hair. Yes, you are very right the heat does make coconut oil work much better. I usually heat any type of oil or grease that I can get my hands on. That works really well for me.

TameThisMane
May 15th, 2020, 01:35 AM
I enjoy both. I do HOT pre-wash, and deep conditioner (sometimes with a heat cap and other times just in the shower very quickly) after wash. Pre-oiling my hair has definitely been a great help, and heat makes coconut oil work even better.

I'm the same way, I like to do a hot oil treatment and leave it on for a few days. When I wash it out, sometimes I'll deep condition as well! Both are important and I think they do different things.

SleepyTangles
May 15th, 2020, 01:54 AM
TamethisMane, this is OT but I just love your avatar pic!

I also like them both in terms of results! Hot oil when my hair has enough moisture, DT when it needs hydration.
I don't do hot oil treatments so often because it makes deposit dyes fade faster.

Firefox7275
May 15th, 2020, 05:45 AM
For me they are complementary approaches: penetrating coconut oil to reduce porosity and structural protein loss from the inner cortex, intensive conditioning and leave-in treatments to 'patch repair' the protective cuticle.

My treatments focus on stronger healthier lengths not increased growth at the roots, I do not apply to the scalp.

*Wednesday*
May 15th, 2020, 09:16 AM
My treatments focus on stronger healthier lengths not increased growth at the roots, I do not apply to the scalp.

I focus on the ends as well with oil treatments or deep conditioners. Those areas are of focus for length retention. They tend to dry more.

JulianaCapalbo
May 17th, 2020, 10:46 AM
I oil my hair before my wash with olive oil. I then, In addition to my conditioner, use a mask/ deep conditioner in the shower and let that sit while I wash my body, shave, etc. They are both great treatments and I would just reccomend trial and error to find what works best.

TameThisMane
May 18th, 2020, 01:11 AM

oooo thank you!!! <3

Dark40
May 28th, 2020, 10:51 AM

I also like them both in terms of results! Hot oil when my hair has enough moisture, DT when it needs hydration.
I don't do hot oil treatments so often because it makes deposit dyes fade faster.

Me too. I'm the same way when it comes to hot oil treatments and DT's. I enjoy doing hot oil treatments and DT's for both moisture and hydration.

BleachedBerry
May 28th, 2020, 07:08 PM
Hi all,

I was was wondering. What do you all think of both hot oil treatments comparing to deep conditioning treatments for hair growth? I have found when I used to do hot oil treatments many years ago it really helped me tremendously with hair growth! Also, the deep conditioning treatments! I remember one week I would do a hot oil treatment with a thick grease, and the next week I would do a deep conditioning treatment. I would alternate the treatments.

I would like to know what do all of you think?

This is my third time typing this out and it disappeared
Im gonna try again

I also enjoy both, but they do different things
A deep conditioner usually applied to clean damp hair by directions on most deep conditioning products. It is left on the hair longer than your regular conditioner that temporarily fill up gaps and holes on the hair resulting in immediate detangling benefits and manageability. A deep Conditioner takes longer to attach more securely providing a deeper, longer lasting result. Both are best applied to damp/wet clean hair because they are formulated to work with water and have a hard time breaking through grease, product build up, minerals, and pollutants that get in the way. Heat is not required unless directions specify.

Hot oil treatments can be applied to dry unwashed hair, though I prefer fairly clean damp hair. Using mild heat raises the cuticle and changes the viscosity of the oil so it easily slips deep into the hair cracks while coating the shaft, and then cools back to pre heat state. Imagine coconut oil. It is not easily rinsed away, providing continuous benefits in side the hair. The results are usually shiner and more elastic hair but not always the softness and manageability or the true moisture of a traditional water based deep conditioner.

As for hair growth, both treatments prevent breakage with regular use over time, resulting in longer hair.

Dark40
February 12th, 2021, 08:12 PM
This is my third time typing this out and it disappeared
Im gonna try again

I also enjoy both, but they do different things
A deep conditioner usually applied to clean damp hair by directions on most deep conditioning products. It is left on the hair longer than your regular conditioner that temporarily fill up gaps and holes on the hair resulting in immediate detangling benefits and manageability. A deep Conditioner takes longer to attach more securely providing a deeper, longer lasting result. Both are best applied to damp/wet clean hair because they are formulated to work with water and have a hard time breaking through grease, product build up, minerals, and pollutants that get in the way. Heat is not required unless directions specify.

Hot oil treatments can be applied to dry unwashed hair, though I prefer fairly clean damp hair. Using mild heat raises the cuticle and changes the viscosity of the oil so it easily slips deep into the hair cracks while coating the shaft, and then cools back to pre heat state. Imagine coconut oil. It is not easily rinsed away, providing continuous benefits in side the hair. The results are usually shiner and more elastic hair but not always the softness and manageability or the true moisture of a traditional water based deep conditioner.

As for hair growth, both treatments prevent breakage with regular use over time, resulting in longer hair.

Thank you for typing three times! So sorry you had to go through that. Yes, I totally agree with you all aspects. I love to do all of those things to my hair for moisture and hydration too. I agree with you that as for deep conditioning you do not always need heat unless instructions says otherwise. The majority of the times when I deep condition I don't use any heat but every now and than I do. But as for hot oil treatments I always heat my oils in the microwave, poor it on my scalp, shampoo and just use a regular conditioner. I don't need to deep condition afterwards. Even though it would be good for it but I don't need it afterwards. Because, there is a such thing as over-conditioning and making the hair too soft like cotton.

Jonas
October 30th, 2023, 08:22 AM
Thanks for that in-depth explanation, BleachedBerry. That really helps me understand what both treatments do.

This reminds me I just recently did a hot oil treatment for the first time, I actually used the Mielle peppermint/rosemary oil and heated it in the microwave. Then I rubbed it all over, scalp, ends and everywhere and let it sit before washing. But when I washed, I felt like my hair was shedding in a weird way and like slipping out as I touched it, in a way that I never usually experience. I wonder if I made the oil too hot, or if I should just use a plain oil and not the Mielle one with additional ingredients. Also, maybe I shouldn't have applied directly to scalp. I will try again with an olive oil or something only on my ends, and try to make sure it's not too hot as well

angel-baby
October 31st, 2023, 12:42 PM
I haven't done a hot oil treatment in years! I used to do it a few years ago, but always got messier than I wanted, and I never quite got the results I was hoping for.
These days I just use a scalp oil (room temp) for a couple hours before shampooing, and do a hair mask while in the shower.