PDA

View Full Version : List everything you love and hate about your hair!

purple_omelette
May 11th, 2020, 12:50 AM
Not sure if this is already a thread somewhere, but I had a good look and couldn't find anything!
List everything you like and don't like about your hair! Include, texture, thickness, colour, tangliness, softness, shininess, oiliness, or anything else you can think of!

I'll go first:

Love/like
- Colour (brown, but looks gold in some lighting and dark red in others, and can even look black!)
- Length (TBL. A very versatile length, I feel)
- Shine (my hair is naturally very shiny)
- Texture (2b/2c wurls, a bit weighed down by the length at the moment, but I feel like I have 'princess' hair! :D )
- My hair keeps its 'shape' very well after being styled
- Not much tapering towards the ends

Hate/don't like
- Tangles like you wouldn't BELIEVE. Need to detangle multiple times a day if I want to style it, and braiding takes a long time because my hair sticks to itself like velcro). I can't have it out and free-flowing for more than a few minutes before my entire length starts forming dreadlocks
- Thickness (my hair is technically medium thickness, but I yearn to do some of the more complex braided styles that require more hair!)
- Widow's peak (I can't make a middle part to save myself) and uneven hairline
- Feels unbelievably soft if I push my washes to weekly, but looks like an oily mess in the scalp region :(

Bri-Chan
May 11th, 2020, 01:37 AM
A thread about what we love of our hair exists, but not one about what we haste (as far as I know).

What I like:
- Texture
- Softness
- It's strong
- Split ends are rare

What I don't like:
- It's prone to tangles
- Now it's damaged
- Capricious scalp
- It takes too much to dry
- It grows slowly

Other things are neutral to me or not so bad to be seen as cons. Like the natural color, it's nothing special but it suits me. And sometimes I like it a lot, sometimes I find it just neutral. Also the thickness: I'd like it a little bit thicker (I am ~ 2.9 inches) like less than half inch but it's not that relevant to me. And the length is far from my goal, but I don't dislike it that much.

hennalonghair
May 11th, 2020, 01:46 AM
- the length - TBL is long enough to do most bun styles
- thickness - it’s very thick
- colour - silver grey on top / warm auburn underneath making it two toned
- texture - usually a full 2c with 3a ringlets but can’t be brushed or combed into softer 2b waves
- doesn’t need washing often
- rarely if ever gets oily
- is warm in the winter when down
- looks nice in braids or a bun
- silver colour takes up unnatural hair colours well
- is strong and resilient
- doesn’t have many split ends
- holds hair scents well

Dislikes

- not as shiny as it used to be
- very hot in the warmer months
- texture can easily frizz in humid weather
- tangles fairly easily
- takes forever to dry
- scalp can get itchy sometimes
- it’s thick and coarse
- have cowlicks
- silicones dry it out
- is very naturally porous
- has some taper at the ends
- isn’t silky mooth as straight hair

Lucy McLucyFace
May 11th, 2020, 03:36 AM
- the thickness
- oddly enough, I like the tendency for frizz that gives it a bit of volume

Dislikes:
- the lower thickness along the sides of my head (I've come to terms with it as it's normal but it's still annoying to look at)
- the fact that it takes a whole day to dry
- the amount of time and work required just to get it wet even when I had it very short years ago
- in contradiction to previously stated, the crazy amount of frizz it gets during the winter
- how untameable it is as it refuses to get styled even with huge amounts of heat (which I've abandoned altogether)

Lucy McLucyFace
May 11th, 2020, 03:39 AM
As a side note: I used to sometimes let it braided all day during winter and then take out the braids and brush it right after and it looked with no exaggerations like I had an 80's perm. That's how frizzy it got

Ylva
May 11th, 2020, 03:45 AM
I like
- that it's resilient; it doesn't require much protective styling other than braids
- my texture
- that it's shiny
- that it grows at a steady pace which isn't abnormally fast but it's ever-growing, no stalls
- that my virgin hair is very chill and non-demanding

Neutral/depends on the situation
- the (virgin) colour, which is rather rare globally speaking but extremely common here
- the thickness - it's thick for my geographical region but average otherwise
- very strong cowlicks - they give me a specific look which I'm used to and wouldn't feel like myself without, but they're annoying for many styles!

I dislike
- that my ends are very chemically damaged and I've fecked myself over for years to come
- that right now it requires sooo much conditioner
- my hairline

Lady_Eowyn
May 11th, 2020, 03:46 AM
Interesting thread.
What I like:
-my natural hair colour: can be dark or lighter blond depending on the season
-wavy texture
-softness and manageability

Dislikes:
-would really wish thicker hair (I am ii, and I feel it is not enought to do some of the braiding styles)
-and I would wish a faster hairgrowth rate
-tendency to get fairytale ends, when I go too long without trimming

Iyashikei
May 11th, 2020, 06:55 AM
What I like:
- The color isn't very unique but it looks good on me.
- Shine.
- Thickness, although hairdressers tend to disagree.
- Growth rate.

What I dislike:
- Cowlicks
- Very dry scalp with eczema but hair that gets greasy when you look at it funny.
- Needs detangling at least three times a day.
- Length, because I'm still more or less in the awkward stage.

Natalia_A00
May 11th, 2020, 09:57 AM
What I love:
- Its thickness
- Its length
- It looks healthy and kinda shiny
- The color, no color would suit me better
- I think it's pretty in general
- Its little waves
- Its natural highlights

What I dislike:
- My hair is too damn oily! It looks beautiful when it's squeaky-clean, but then after 24h hours or so, it starts looking kind of dull because of the oil. I hate that
- It is kinda fragile so I often find split ends
- I have to brush it everyday because if I don't, it tangles like crazy and I end up with a lot of knots. It's annoying
- I think I need a different haircut/style. My old layers have grown out and it doesn't look pretty. Maybe a more even cut, who knows. But I'm tired of layers because they mess up my braids.

Laurab
May 11th, 2020, 09:22 PM
Love reading everyone's pros, it made me think of a couple for mine :)
The cons can be nice too, just to remind us all that no one's 100% happy with there hair, no matter how perfect it may look to an outside observer.

For myself:

-For the most part, the color (Further explanation in cons lol). I love natural hair colors in general
-Low maitinence
-Shiny
-Not prone to split ends
-soft
-Pretty good hairline
-It suits me? Not sure how to put this exactly. Just like, realizing that my natural color/texture is what looks best on me.

Dislikes
-Gets oily easily
-The color is MUCH darker when it's oily (part two of the color likes and dislikes lol)
-Can't WO wash without it becoming tangled and awful (didn't stop me from doing it every other day through most of high school and even college though :laugh: I just had cow-licks and weird crimps half the time)
-Takes forever to curl
-Takes forever to dry
-Even big sections of braid waves make it look SO poofy and overwhelming
-Bubbles easily (I'm not sure if this is my hair or just a user error, but I swear doing a simple ponytail can be a chore)
-VERY prone to fly-aways

I've been learning to appreciate my hair more and more lately. At the end of the day the cons aren't a huge deal, and there's lots to love. I hope other people feel the same.

Bat
May 12th, 2020, 04:43 AM
It's Mostly straight so far
and seems to take a long time before it gets greasy
and it doesn't feel coarse to the toch

Dislikes

it grows really slowly
I'd like it thicker
it's too short
My natural color is an ugly boring common brown
sometimes my hairline is too thin in one place and if i look at it in a certain angle it looks like i'm getting a bald patch

lapushka
May 12th, 2020, 04:50 AM
Love
-I have learned to love the "poof" (aka waves) over the years, learned to weigh it down to deal with it better.
-My layers! Yeah. They are the reason I can keep it classic length.
-The simple fact that I can weekly wash nowadays; that used to be very different, 2 to 3 times a week, this is due to a medical issue I went through... such a long story I'd rather not get into.

Hate
Such a strong word... I don't think I hate really anything, yes when I come across a conditioner or mask that is not moisturizing enough and I have to deal with knots rather than tangles later in the week.

Those are the only things I can think of, really...

Beckstar
May 22nd, 2020, 08:15 PM
I love my curls and grey. There’s nothing that I hate about it.

Dark40
May 22nd, 2020, 09:31 PM
I like it's texture whether it's curly or straight. I love how soft it comes out after every wash.
I like the different hair styles I wear it in. I like how shiny it is. I like how thick it is. I like how long it is.

Dislikes:

I dislike the dyed color. Right now it's a medium brown, and I would for it to be either a bright red or a pale blonde.
I hate the frizz.