PDA

View Full Version : Damaged hair

pinkprincess
May 9th, 2020, 04:00 PM
Hi. I lost a lot of weight with digestive issues (down to 'normal' weight) and have been having normal nutrition for 2 years now. I don't seem to have a good photo of my hair before on my phone because I need to transfer some, but my hair was pretty straight and I started to go grey 6 years ago after a stressful time. I have a history of eating disorder but at my highest weight my hair was in good condition and had never got like it is now. There was just a bit that stayed shorter at the front but not too noticeable.

I've put a photo in my album of how it looks now. Any ideas why the texture would change like this and not grow in at the front any more? I never have that part trimmed. Also I've been using nizoral for 4 or 5 years for scalp issues which seems to have stopped working but i don't think that would stop it growing in

Edited to add: also now put a less good quality photo of my hair a year before getting ill in my album

stephy190
May 9th, 2020, 04:16 PM
Do you mean your fringe/bangs aren't growing? Or the front of the hair beside the bangs? I have a little section at the left side of my hairline that's more damaged thin different texture from the rest. I have baby hairs in that area like a lot of people do. And those hairs seem to be different texture. Also the front of the hair tends to get damaged more for me anyway as I would style those bits more! I don't know if this applies to you? But could be one or both of those factors? Maybe trim those bits a bit yourself and try to get them healthier? Like trim the worst bits off the bottom? Also if you get greys those hairs tend to be a different texture also. Are you getting all your nutrients? Maybe a hair vitamin would be good? (If doctor says can take them) could be an idea !

pinkprincess
May 9th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Sorry, I meant that all of that bit at the front that looks like a fringe isn't growing because I don't actually have a fringe on purpose at all! It should all be long. And I don't know about the nutrients completely, a year ago I wasn't deficient in anything but I cant find out right now because it's only urgent appointments at my dr currently. I don't use heat or anything on the front either

stephy190
May 9th, 2020, 04:48 PM
Has your hair been coloured? If there's any colour that could damage it and could be worthwhile growing out..or going dark as dark dyes are less damaging than lighter ones I feel..Are the products you're using high quality/moisturizing? Hair routine etc? Also your dog is so cute!! :)

pinkprincess
May 10th, 2020, 03:23 AM
No colour at all. I only wash with nizoral or a non moisturising shampoo and then condition the rest with hello hydration conditioner. I only comb it and never brush. I wear it down but don't go out a lot anyway due to chronic illness.

That's such an old picture, the dog is 13 now!

lapushka
May 10th, 2020, 04:25 AM
It's a mystery to me. You didn't cut that fringe in?

It looks fine to me. How long have you been trying to grow? When is the last time you had a haircut / trimmed?

stephy190
May 10th, 2020, 04:41 AM
Yeah I think your hair looks fine. Health can affect your hair though, and if deficient in anything. But yeah no doc appointments :(

pinkprincess
May 10th, 2020, 08:31 AM
Nope that fringe type bit hasn't been cut at all but I had the rest trimmed on 16th March. I'm maintaining the rest anyway because what fell out is actually growing there.

Thanks for looking at my pics and replying, both of you

ynne
May 10th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Could you please describe again how exactly the "fridge" that isn't actually a fridge happened, from the beginning? I could not fully understand from your posts... is it hair that fell out and when growing back, it stopped at that length?

The texture change, these can happen for a variety of reasons! Grey hair can have a different texture, it can naturally change with age (it often occurs from childhood to adulthood, but even later in life), due to hormones etc. If you look up information on this, you will often find changes like thinning hair, but texture transformation (straight to curly or the other way around) happens too, so it's definitely not just you! (One relevant link (https://www.hairromance.com/2014/07/curls-week-why-did-my-hair-change-from-straight-to-curly.html), another one (https://www.epilatorauthority.com/straight-hair-becoming-curly-with-age-heres-why/).) I only experienced this chance when I was a kid (from perfectly straight, smooth hair to drier curly hair) but from the little you said, there are several possible factors you experienced that may have influenced this. On its own, it's not necessarily a cause for concern, I think!

Kake
May 10th, 2020, 11:34 AM
It is strange, because it looks exactly like a deliberate fringe would look. It looks fine, you don't need to worry about how it looks, anyway.

pinkprincess
May 10th, 2020, 11:48 AM
I had a lot of hair fall out, although no bald areas, then when it grew back in it just stayed that length at the front. It seems to have got thicker over time but just won't actually grow any longer. I wish it was at least a bit longer because I have a long face and it just doesn't suit me like that. I prefer styles that are longer at the front

But yes, with the texture change I wondered if that was a more normal thing to have happened because I know someone whose hair went from straight to curly temporarily when it grew back after chemo.

MusicalSpoons
May 10th, 2020, 12:18 PM
I'm trying to work this out. 2 years of being relatively okay so two years of what should have been normal hair growth? The rest of your hair I would think is on par with what would be expected growth. How does the density feel to you? Maybe with good nutrition you have a lot of baby hairs (more than before) with short terminal lengths as well as the same amount of longer ones. I don't know, that could be a speculation wildly off! But just a thought, because it would be very odd to have a whole crop of follicles suddenly shorten their growing potential, especially now you are doing better :hmm: Unless it is an underlying deficiency or insufficiency ... but again, odd if the rest of your hair is growing fine!