PDA

View Full Version : The French twist thread

Neoma
May 5th, 2020, 03:30 PM
I find it hard to believe that LHC doesn't have a French twist thread, yet. I can't find one, so I'm starting one. So there!

I just received three French twist combs from France Luxe today. I made a French twist and secured it with one of the combs. It is so secure and comfy. I took a long walk and my FT still looks awesome.

My hair is baby fine and somewhere between BSL and waist. This is the technique that I use to create my FT's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfu9uFwUgH8).

I love FT combs, but I also secure my FT's with a Ficcare, a hairstick or a comb.

Do you love FT's?

ZoeZ
May 5th, 2020, 03:58 PM
FT is my go-to for neat tidy hair - I use a copper wire slide at the top to hold it for dressy, and a large claw clip for everyday. I have mid-back length hair, not as long as yours, and will be using your video for when it's longer. Great video, clear and concise, thanks!

Neoma
May 5th, 2020, 04:05 PM
FT is my go-to for neat tidy hair - I use a copper wire slide at the top to hold it for dressy, and a large claw clip for everyday. I have mid-back length hair, not as long as yours, and will be using your video for when it's longer. Great video, clear and concise, thanks!The copper wire slide sounds like a great way to secure a FT, ZoeZ!

You're welcome for the video. I agree, it's very clear.

Lanalavallama
May 6th, 2020, 04:25 AM
It is such an elegant hairstyle. When I have enough length, I will probably do this style on a regular basis.

Miss Thyme
May 6th, 2020, 05:03 AM
I don't do French twists very often, but it's a great and elegant look! I have a few French twist combs, but unfortunately for me I have to twist the opposite way of what I intuitively want to do when I use them, or I'll end with some upside-down hummingbirds and such :p

Edit to add: It's also amazingly efficient at hiding vast amounts of hair, and slightly better than a great, big LWB in terms of not getting in the way when sitting in a car seat with a headrest.
I think the main reason I hardly ever do them is that I don't have the heart to put my combs to everyday use.

purple_omelette
May 6th, 2020, 05:41 AM
Thanks for this thread! I've been wanting to learn how to do a French twist for a while and simply can't seem to get the hang of it :(

Sarahlabyrinth
May 6th, 2020, 07:14 AM
Yes, I love them, and use them often. Unfortunately I can barely do anything with my hair right now as I woke up with a terribly stiff and sore neck and putting my hair up this morning was torture. :(

If this might help someone, I have a FT tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOLVCmhqVr8&feature=youtu.be

spidermom
May 6th, 2020, 07:18 AM
The french twist is my favorite up-do!

Cg
May 6th, 2020, 07:57 AM
Beautiful! I love the elegance of a French twist, particularly with a comb specifically created for one. Alas, my slick hair rarely complies for long.

This normal twisting technique doesn't work well for me. My thigh length hair holds marginally better if I crochet a couple of chains into the bottom half and then roll everything up and sideways with chopsticks. The pins seem to grab better that way before everything droops.

Neoma
May 6th, 2020, 09:30 AM
It is such an elegant hairstyle. When I have enough length, I will probably do this style on a regular basis.

Lanalavallama, your siggy description of your hair length, TWA (teeny weeny afro), made me smile. :flower:

I agree, a FT is one of the most elegant styles. And once you master it, it's so fast and easy.

Neoma
May 6th, 2020, 09:32 AM
I don't do French twists very often, but it's a great and elegant look! I have a few French twist combs, but unfortunately for me I have to twist the opposite way of what I intuitively want to do when I use them, or I'll end with some upside-down hummingbirds and such :p

Edit to add: It's also amazingly efficient at hiding vast amounts of hair, and slightly better than a great, big LWB in terms of not getting in the way when sitting in a car seat with a headrest.
I think the main reason I hardly ever do them is that I don't have the heart to put my combs to everyday use.Bring out your FT combs, Miss Thyme! Life is too short not to use our good things on a regular basis. :flower:

Neoma
May 6th, 2020, 09:43 AM
Thanks for this thread! I've been wanting to learn how to do a French twist for a while and simply can't seem to get the hang of it :(You're very welcome! I suggest watching tons of Youtube videos and seeing which technique works best for you at your current hair length. I say current because you may have to adapt your technique as your hair grows. I know I did. Also, practice, practice, practice. My first attempts at a FT were laughable. :flower:

Yes, I love them, and use them often. Unfortunately I can barely do anything with my hair right now as I woke up with a terribly stiff and sore neck and putting my hair up this morning was torture. :(

If this might help someone, I have a FT tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOLVCmhqVr8&feature=youtu.beI'm so sorry to hear about your neck pain, Sarahlabyrinth. :grouphug:

The french twist is my favorite up-do!spidermom, I bet your hair looks fabulous in a FT!

Beautiful! I love the elegance of a French twist, particularly with a comb specifically created for one. Alas, my slick hair rarely complies for long.

This normal twisting technique doesn't work well for me. My thigh length hair holds marginally better if I crochet a couple of chains into the bottom half and then roll everything up and sideways with chopsticks. The pins seem to grab better that way before everything droops.Interesting idea of crocheting the bottom half, Cg!
:flower:

Lanalavallama
May 6th, 2020, 11:10 AM
Neoma, you made me smile with that comment.

TWA has become the accepted name for a very short afro. But yes, it can sound quite comical.

I can not WAIT to be able to put my hair up on a regular basis with pretty toys. I shall content myself with scarves for now and convince myself they are a hair toy.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 6th, 2020, 02:14 PM

TWA has become the accepted name for a very short afro. But yes, it can sound quite comical.

I can not WAIT to be able to put my hair up on a regular basis with pretty toys. I shall content myself with scarves for now and convince myself they are a hair toy.

They ARE a hair toy!

spidermom
May 6th, 2020, 02:20 PM
I often have trouble with the part where you double back and tuck the hair into the fold. I end up with something on top of my head that reminds me of a floppy cockscomb (on top of a rooster's head).

Neoma
May 6th, 2020, 03:05 PM

I can not WAIT to be able to put my hair up on a regular basis with pretty toys. I shall content myself with scarves for now and convince myself they are a hair toy.Ha! I didn't know that, Lanalavallama! :D I like it!

I'll bet that you could use decorative bobby pins and barrettes in your TWA in the meantime. :flower:

They ARE a hair toy!

I agree, Sarahlabyrinth!

I often have trouble with the part where you double back and tuck the hair into the fold. I end up with something on top of my head that reminds me of a floppy cockscomb (on top of a rooster's head).
I used to have the same problem, spidermom. When I use the method where the hair is doubled over to make the twist, kind of like you're going to do a log roll, I can control how high the top is.

I looked like a dinosaur with a crest (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dinosaur+with+crest+on+head&FORM=HDRSC2)when I first started making FT's.

embee
May 6th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Alas. When I do this, my hair is not thick enough to properly cover the tucked-in part. :( It can't spread out nicely along the length of the twist.

Neoma
May 6th, 2020, 04:26 PM
I love my France Luxe FT combs so much that I decided to buy two more today while they're still on sale. I ordered one in caramal horn and one in Nacro ivory.

ZoeZ
May 6th, 2020, 04:42 PM

If this might help someone, I have a FT tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOLVCmhqVr8&feature=youtu.be

Sarahlabyrinth, your hair is sooo beautiful, healthy and silky! And the color... sigh.

purple_omelette
May 6th, 2020, 05:34 PM
You're very welcome! I suggest watching tons of Youtube videos and seeing which technique works best for you at your current hair length. I say current because you may have to adapt your technique as your hair grows. I know I did. Also, practice, practice, practice. My first attempts at a FT were laughable. :flower:

Thank you :) Yes, I think I need more practice. I have a similar issue to other people here, where I end up with a floppy mop of hair on top of my head when I'm finished! I also don't have a french twist comb, as I can't seem to find any sellers here in Australia, and shipping from overseas always costs an arm and a leg down here. At the moment, I'm trying to 'pin' my various creations with a two-pronged, simple brass hair fork stuck in at the top. Success is variable....

purple_omelette
May 6th, 2020, 05:35 PM
Sorry about your neck Sarahlabyrinth! :( hope you feel better soon

Neoma
May 6th, 2020, 05:43 PM
Thank you :) Yes, I think I need more practice. I have a similar issue to other people here, where I end up with a floppy mop of hair on top of my head when I'm finished! I also don't have a french twist comb, as I can't seem to find any sellers here in Australia, and shipping from overseas always costs an arm and a leg down here. At the moment, I'm trying to 'pin' my various creations with a two-pronged, simple brass hair fork stuck in at the top. Success is variable....

You're welcome!

You may want to try a single hairstick as well. Just insert it near the top of the spine of your FT, pick up scalp hairs as you go directly under the spine, and then exit the spine near the bottom.

Is that as clear as mud? :p This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQwLBvwoZE)illustrates it better than I explained.

If you have a Ficcare or similar clip, you can use that as well.

Seriously, I can secure a FT that way and it will hold all day.

Neoma
May 6th, 2020, 05:54 PM
This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xBC-LELS8) explains how to use a FT comb really clearly.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2020, 06:52 AM
Sorry about your neck Sarahlabyrinth! :( hope you feel better soon

Thank you, I am feeling about 90% better this morning and was able to wash my hair :)

cjk
May 7th, 2020, 06:58 AM
I've been doing French twists since the moment my hair was long enough to look decent in one. One of my favorite hairdos.

But my selection of combs is woefully inadequate.

I have the standard tortoiseshell and black, 7 toothed combs... That sort of thing. But those are the only ones I managed to find when I do a Google search.

Other than something that resembles a bridal tiara, there must be other combs available on the market. Or picks, rakes, or any other term we can think of.

Who sells that sort of thing? Let me guess. Etsy.

But for those of us who don't want to invest a few hundred dollars in a hair comb, what other options exist?

illicitlizard
May 7th, 2020, 07:43 AM
The french twist is such a lovely hairdo but it's my nemesis. I've never been able to make it stay, it just falls down after 10min if I can finally get it looking presentable in the first place. Will have a look at the above videos and see if they help.

Cg
May 7th, 2020, 10:01 AM
The french twist is such a lovely hairdo but it's my nemesis. I've never been able to make it stay, it just falls down after 10min if I can finally get it looking presentable in the first place. Will have a look at the above videos and see if they help.

Good luck. My thin, fine, slick hair will not hold very long no matter what -- and I've tried everything I ever heard of and many things I hadn't. I do love the look of French twists on others, though.

TatsuOni
May 7th, 2020, 10:06 AM
I've done it once and it wasn't easy... I need to practise it more!

Apparently my great grandmother had thigh length hair and wore her hair in a French twist every day. So it's a very nostalgic updo for my grandmother and mother. They already loves my hair and how it reminds them of her, so I think that they'd be happy to see it in a FT. That's one of the reasons that I'd like to learn it properly and also, if my great grand mother could do it every day, then I should be able to at least learn it!

Neoma
May 7th, 2020, 11:24 AM
I've been doing French twists since the moment my hair was long enough to look decent in one. One of my favorite hairdos.

I have the standard tortoiseshell and black, 7 toothed combs... That sort of thing. But those are the only ones I managed to find when I do a Google search.

Other than something that resembles a bridal tiara, there must be other combs available on the market. Or picks, rakes, or any other term we can think of.

But for those of us who don't want to invest a few hundred dollars in a hair comb, what other options exist?France Luxe has an extensive collection of FT combs. Etsy has some, too, though most are intended for brides and have lots of pearls on them.

I just posted one on the Swap Board that may be of interest to someone with a different hair type than mine.

Apparently my great grandmother had thigh length hair and wore her hair in a French twist every day. So it's a very nostalgic updo for my grandmother and mother. They already loves my hair and how it reminds them of her, so I think that they'd be happy to see it in a FT. That's one of the reasons that I'd like to learn it properly and also, if my great grand mother could do it every day, then I should be able to at least learn it!How lovely that you have a family history of long hair and even a familial updo!

I would imagine that doing a FT at your length would be a difficult, but there are videos that explain how people with extremely long hair can do it.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2020, 01:04 PM
Sarahlabyrinth, your hair is sooo beautiful, healthy and silky! And the color... sigh.

Oh, thank you! :flower: I was looking at that video and thinking, ooh, greasy roots, lol!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2020, 01:06 PM

But for those of us who don't want to invest a few hundred dollars in a hair comb, what other options exist?

Spin pins. Magic. I use four for a FT, they are invisible and you can then decorate your twist - or not- as you like.

Lanalavallama
May 7th, 2020, 01:45 PM
They ARE a hair toy!

I agree, Sarahlabyrinth!

Well, Sarahlabyrinth and Neoma have sanctioned the use of scarves as my hair toys. This might call for more shopping. :D

Neoma
May 7th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Well, Sarahlabyrinth and Neoma have sanctioned the use of scarves as my hair toys. This might call for more shopping. :D

My work here is done. :p

Deborah
May 7th, 2020, 03:48 PM
I love a French Twist! My hair is extremely fine and slippery, so the combs made for this style just slide right out. Usually I use spin pins. Those hold really well.

purple_omelette
May 7th, 2020, 05:15 PM
You're welcome!

You may want to try a single hairstick as well. Just insert it near the top of the spine of your FT, pick up scalp hairs as you go directly under the spine, and then exit the spine near the bottom.

Is that as clear as mud? :p This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQwLBvwoZE)illustrates it better than I explained.

If you have a Ficcare or similar clip, you can use that as well.

Seriously, I can secure a FT that way and it will hold all day.

I will definitely try that :) Thank you!

purple_omelette
May 7th, 2020, 05:18 PM
Thank you, I am feeling about 90% better this morning and was able to wash my hair :)

Excellent :D

purple_omelette
May 7th, 2020, 05:20 PM

Apparently my great grandmother had thigh length hair and wore her hair in a French twist every day. So it's a very nostalgic updo for my grandmother and mother. They already loves my hair and how it reminds them of her, so I think that they'd be happy to see it in a FT. That's one of the reasons that I'd like to learn it properly and also, if my great grand mother could do it every day, then I should be able to at least learn it!

That's incredible! :O Which of course means that having longer hair is no excuse for not knowing how to do a French twist :P I will continue my attempts with renewed enthusiasm

Lanalavallama
May 8th, 2020, 04:34 PM
No clue whether I did this the proper way or not, but here we go.
I introduce my baby french twists; I do not have the length for 1.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41300&d=1588976939

Secured with a chopstick (not a hairstick chopstick, a takeaway chopstick :cool: )

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41301&d=1588977081

Neoma
May 8th, 2020, 05:35 PM
No clue whether I did this the proper way or not, but here we go.
I introduce my baby french twists; I do not have the length for 1.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41300&d=1588976939

Secured with a chopstick (not a hairstick chopstick, a takeaway chopstick :cool: )

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41301&d=1588977081

Wow, Lanalavallama, they look great! They may be classified more as "rolls" at this point, but the idea is spot on.

I don't think that you're going to need a lot of length to do a single FT. I can't wait to see! :cheer:

MusicalSpoons
May 8th, 2020, 06:02 PM
Alas. When I do this, my hair is not thick enough to properly cover the tucked-in part. :( It can't spread out nicely along the length of the twist.

This is very much my issue!

I can barely do a log roll yet and with that I still get it too high and often looking stupidly loopy. Nobody on the log roll thread had any suggestions for how to make it look neater either :lol: I'd accepted that it was going to have to do as an alternative to a French twist but this thread has rekindled ... curiosity. Not hope, but curiosity. If I ever reliably master a log roll I might possibly revisit the challenge of a FT :hmm:

Lanalavallama
May 8th, 2020, 06:15 PM
Wow, Lanalavallama, they look great! They may be classified more as "rolls" at this point, but the idea is spot on.

I don't think that you're going to need a lot of length to do a single FT. I can't wait to see! :cheer:

Thank you Neoma. Hopefully the length I do need for the style comes along quickly.

Entangled
May 9th, 2020, 09:38 AM
I find it funny that it wasn’t until I had fingertip-length hair that I was able to get my hair into a French twist!
https://i.imager.com/SM9Fpfz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3Pm1Qqr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fbPIIsi.jpg

Neoma
May 9th, 2020, 10:23 AM
This is very much my issue!

I can barely do a log roll yet and with that I still get it too high and often looking stupidly loopy. Nobody on the log roll thread had any suggestions for how to make it look neater either :lol: I'd accepted that it was going to have to do as an alternative to a French twist but this thread has rekindled ... curiosity. Not hope, but curiosity. If I ever reliably master a log roll I might possibly revisit the challenge of a FT :hmm:
I anxiously await a pic of your FT results, MusicalSpoons! :popcorn: I have faith! You can do it!

Lanalavallama
May 9th, 2020, 12:23 PM
Entangled, so pretty.

You needed to be at fingertip length?

I am hoping I can achieve it as I make my way towards APL.

Neoma
May 9th, 2020, 03:39 PM
I find it funny that it wasn’t until I had fingertip-length hair that I was able to get my hair into a French twist!
Entangled, that's gorgeous! No one would know that you had so much hair tucked into that FT! :thud:

Miss Thyme
May 10th, 2020, 12:01 AM

I didn't think I had this problem, but I decided to practice French twists yesterday after not having done them since December. It took a while to get something that seemed decent, but then when I tried taking pictures of it, the tucked-in parts were definitely showing. I tried a few more times, and it kept happening. Argh! :headache:

I also struggled with the hair going into the top of my twist sitting more loosely than the rest of my hair, creating a weird bump at the top of my scalp. :(

TatsuOni
May 10th, 2020, 06:03 AM
That looks awesome Entangled! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 11th, 2020, 05:39 AM
That's really elegant and beautiful, Entangled!

Neoma
May 12th, 2020, 11:08 AM
I didn't think I had this problem, but I decided to practice French twists yesterday after not having done them since December. It took a while to get something that seemed decent, but then when I tried taking pictures of it, the tucked-in parts were definitely showing. I tried a few more times, and it kept happening. Argh! :headache:

I also struggled with the hair going into the top of my twist sitting more loosely than the rest of my hair, creating a weird bump at the top of my scalp. :(

I suggest watching videos and trying different ways to do the FT. I suspect that you'll find one that solves those issues.

Trust me when I tell you, my (MANY) first attempts at a FT were really laughable.

Even today, when I make a FT I have to check the back of my head with a mirror. I end up with huge bald spots on the sides of my head. I cover them by smoothing hair over them with a brush. :flower:

CopperButterfly
May 13th, 2020, 08:13 AM

This is me too! I just can't seem to figure out how to make them work.

Neoma
May 13th, 2020, 10:50 AM
This is me too! I just can't seem to figure out how to make them work.

CopperButterfly, your hair is gorgeous! That's my dream color.

Back on track... When all fails, secure a FT with a Ficcare placed at a slight diagonal near the top of the twist. :flower:

purple_omelette
May 30th, 2020, 08:39 PM
Finally had some success! My new gold-plated hair slide from Greece finally came in the mail, and I was so excited to try it out that the French twist gods blessed me with my first ever successful twist :D it stayed in place all day and was extremely comfortable (I used a simple two-pronged brass fork to secure it to my scalp, the slide is mainly decorative)

https://i.ibb.co/PWcQbfk/french-twist-with-gold-hair-slide-june-2020.jpg (https://ibb.co/QHPdq10)

https://i.ibb.co/wSddnVV/french-twist-with-gold-hair-slide-june-2020-2.jpg (https://ibb.co/Lx00Tmm)

Iyashikei
May 30th, 2020, 10:04 PM
Finally had some success! My new gold-plated hair slide from Greece finally came in the mail, and I was so excited to try it out that the French twist gods blessed me with my first ever successful twist :D it stayed in place all day and was extremely comfortable (I used a simple two-pronged brass fork to secure it to my scalp, the slide is mainly decorative)

https://i.ibb.co/PWcQbfk/french-twist-with-gold-hair-slide-june-2020.jpg (https://ibb.co/QHPdq10)

https://i.ibb.co/wSddnVV/french-twist-with-gold-hair-slide-june-2020-2.jpg (https://ibb.co/Lx00Tmm)
Very pretty.

Neoma
May 30th, 2020, 10:14 PM

https://i.ibb.co/wSddnVV/french-twist-with-gold-hair-slide-june-2020-2.jpg (https://ibb.co/Lx00Tmm)Wow! That is a perfect French twist! So lovely and elegant...

purple_omelette
May 30th, 2020, 10:37 PM
Thank you Iyashikei and Neoma :)

TatsuOni
May 31st, 2020, 09:40 AM
It looks beautiful purple :)

Here's my messy French twist. I still need some practise :p

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/mobiluppladdning_5ed3ca81ddf2b3412c3fb588.jpg

https://cdn3.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/mobiluppladdning_5ed3ca842a6b222bbfc58399.jpg

Neoma
May 31st, 2020, 11:54 AM
It looks beautiful purple :)

Here's my messy French twist. I still need some practise :p

Wow, TatsuOni! It looks great!

I've been wearing my hair in a FT almost daily for the past few weeks. I want to share with everyone that the trick for me is to insert the FT comb about half an inch from the edge of the FT's spine. You don't have to pick up a lot of hairs. Then insert the tips of the prongs about an inch away from the spine and immediately turn the prongs under the spine and the FT itself, picking up scalp hairs along the way. (Was that as clear as mud?)

If the FT comb feels too tight, you probably inserted the prongs further too far from the spine.

This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xBC-LELS8&t=136s) demonstrates how to do this really clearly.

When I do this "just right," it feels almost "too comfortable," like the FT could fall apart. But, in reality, it's very secure!

purple_omelette
May 31st, 2020, 09:41 PM
Wow, Tatsu! :O Looks lovely!

Sarahlabyrinth
June 1st, 2020, 02:49 AM
Purple, and Tatsu, both look lovely!

purple_omelette
June 1st, 2020, 02:59 AM
Thank you Sarahlabyrinth! :)

TatsuOni
June 1st, 2020, 03:42 AM

I've been wearing my hair in a FT almost daily for the past few weeks. I want to share with everyone that the trick for me is to insert the FT comb about half an inch from the edge of the FT's spine. You don't have to pick up a lot of hairs. Then insert the tips of the prongs about an inch away from the spine and immediately turn the prongs under the spine and the FT itself, picking up scalp hairs along the way. (Was that as clear as mud?)

If the FT comb feels too tight, you probably inserted the prongs further too far from the spine.

This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xBC-LELS8&t=136s) demonstrates how to do this really clearly.

When I do this "just right," it feels almost "too comfortable," like the FT could fall apart. But, in reality, it's very secure!

Wow, Tatsu! :O Looks lovely!

Purple, and Tatsu, both look lovely!

Thank you! :flower: I'd like to get a comb for the twist instead of a million u-pins :p

purple_omelette
June 1st, 2020, 07:17 PM
Thank you! :flower: I'd like to get a comb for the twist instead of a million u-pins :p

Haha I can empathize, the second I finished my first successful twist I started looking online for some hair combs! I have now ordered two, I will post pictures as soon as they arrive :)

TatsuOni
June 2nd, 2020, 08:51 AM
Haha I can empathize, the second I finished my first successful twist I started looking online for some hair combs! I have now ordered two, I will post pictures as soon as they arrive :)

I'm looking forward to seeing them! :)

Neoma
June 2nd, 2020, 11:16 AM
Haha I can empathize, the second I finished my first successful twist I started looking online for some hair combs! I have now ordered two, I will post pictures as soon as they arrive :)Oh, I can't wait to see them in action! :popcorn:

purple_omelette
June 2nd, 2020, 07:36 PM

Wow, this video is really helpful! As soon as my combs arrive I'll give it a go (and post pictures of course :) )

Neoma
June 6th, 2020, 03:38 PM
Wow, this video is really helpful! As soon as my combs arrive I'll give it a go (and post pictures of course :) )

I'm glad that you found it helpful, purple_omelette. :flower:

Here's a pic of today's FT secured with my pearl-colored FT comb. I quite like the way it contrasts with my hair color.

Pardon the pic quality. I suck at selfies, especially of the back of my head. :flower:
https://i.ibb.co/7gqggw2/FT.jpg (https://ibb.co/pWSWWtJ)

Neoma
June 6th, 2020, 04:15 PM
I just found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAJPbTaT9KA) that explains how easy it is to use a FT comb.

MeganAimee
June 11th, 2020, 10:06 PM
I love a French twist! My mother used to do it on my grandmothers hair for church. <3

Cg
June 12th, 2020, 09:23 AM
Here's a pic of today's FT secured with my pearl-colored FT comb. I quite like the way it contrasts with my hair color.

Pardon the pic quality. I suck at selfies, especially of the back of my head. :flower:
https://i.ibb.co/7gqggw2/FT.jpg (https://ibb.co/pWSWWtJ)

Lovely contrast, and the shine of your hair is mirrored in the comb.

TatsuOni
June 12th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Very beautiful Neoma! :)

Neoma
June 12th, 2020, 11:38 AM
Lovely contrast, and the shine of your hair is mirrored in the comb.

Thank you, Cg! What a lovely compliment. :flowers:

Very beautiful Neoma! :)Thank you, TatsuOni! :flowers:

bparnell75
June 12th, 2020, 03:55 PM
I just found this tutorial for a lovely version of a French twist. It was easier than any I have seen and not quite a "conventional" which I always like. It also holds like a rock with just one stick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqJBTFNims

Neoma
June 12th, 2020, 08:00 PM
I just found this tutorial for a lovely version of a French twist. It was easier than any I have seen and not quite a "conventional" which I always like. It also holds like a rock with just one stick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqJBTFNimsOh, that's interesting! It's like a flipped bun and a FT had a baby! I'm going to have to try this one.

school of fish
June 12th, 2020, 09:10 PM
I love that flipped stick version!!! How I wish it would work for me but alas my hair just won't cinnabun no matter how hard I try, and I did try...

It will nautilus though! So I took inspiration from the concept and flipped a nautilus sideways, smooshing the flip more upwardly so the volume was concentrated up toward the crown and tapered down toward the nape. Spin pins secured it and with some practice perhaps a stick would secure it as well - I'm hopeful!! The look I got read like an artfully messy French twist, just the kind of effect I love :)

Thank you bparnell75 for sharing - I'm terrible at imagining styles on my own but I can use tutorials as springboards for other ideas. I do love the style in the video on its own merit and it was also helpful inspiration, thank you :)

Neoma
June 13th, 2020, 10:55 AM
I love that flipped stick version!!! How I wish it would work for me but alas my hair just won't cinnabun no matter how hard I try, and I did try...

It will nautilus though! So I took inspiration from the concept and flipped a nautilus sideways, smooshing the flip more upwardly so the volume was concentrated up toward the crown and tapered down toward the nape. Spin pins secured it and with some practice perhaps a stick would secure it as well - I'm hopeful!! The look I got read like an artfully messy French twist, just the kind of effect I love :)

Thank you bparnell75 for sharing - I'm terrible at imagining styles on my own but I can use tutorials as springboards for other ideas. I do love the style in the video on its own merit and it was also helpful inspiration, thank you :)school of fish, cinnabuns don't work well for me since my hair is so thin and fine. I find that I can do a flipped bun by making a basic, not cinna, bun. I'm going to try this video using a regular bun.

HTH

:flowers:

bparnell75
June 13th, 2020, 11:27 AM
Here is another version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trXfLvD-kRU I think it is quite elegant.But better for thinner hair than very thick hair.
I have done this one and secured it with a fork or stick vertically. I often do regular flip buns up high so it can be seen from the front so this one was easy for me. PS... A true cinna bun is hard, but just wrapping it around tightly seems to work pretty good too.

Neoma
June 13th, 2020, 03:30 PM
Here is another version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trXfLvD-kRU I think it is quite elegant.But better for thinner hair than very thick hair.
I have done this one and secured it with a fork or stick vertically. I often do regular flip buns up high so it can be seen from the front so this one was easy for me. PS... A true cinna bun is hard, but just wrapping it around tightly seems to work pretty good too.This

This is so cool! This is exactly how I do my flipped bun, except for the way that she flips hers at the end. I'm going to have to play with this method to see if I can secure it with a FT comb.

school of fish
June 14th, 2020, 08:40 AM
Ooohhh!!! This one does work for me :D

It's elegant and beautiful and it holds and I love it - thank you again for sharing :)

bparnell75
June 14th, 2020, 09:59 AM
Ooohhh!!! This one does work for me :D

It's elegant and beautiful and it holds and I love it - thank you again for sharing :)

Absolutely! I love helping to make hair dos work. I have enjoyed seeing so many doing my Spock bun, even with thick and huge amounts of hair like Sarah, even though I invented it because my hair is thin and I hated my small compressed buns. =)

Neoma
June 14th, 2020, 12:10 PM
My fine, thin hair is now almost waist length. At this point, I have a lot of length left over when I do my FT's, even though I double the length before twisting. Stuffing the excess length into the pocket is becoming more of a problem.

Last night I remembered a tutorial that I can't find today. But I'll try to explain it, since it completely solves the excess length issue. (I suck at selfies, so a video is out of the question.

Instructions are for right-handed people.

1. Gather your hair neatly at your nape as if you were going to make a ponytail.
2. Fold the bottom half of the pony up to your nape. You should now have one, doubled-over ponytail.
3. Twist the pony up like a regular FT, keeping a one finger in the top of the loop as you twist.
4. When it reaches the desired height, you will have additional hair sticking out the bottom of the twist.
5. Keep you finger in the top of the loop and smooth the FT up almost to the top of the twist, except the little piece with the finger in the loop.
6. Reach under your head with your free hand and pull the extra length up while lifting the FT just enough to accommodate the extra length using the finger that's in the loop. Make sure that the length is now to the right side of the loop.
7. Keeping your finger in the loop, use your other hand to wrap the excess length around the loop, from right to left.
8. Leave a little bit of length unwrapped and tuck it into the pocket of the FT.
9. Gently smooth the FT up a little to cover the bottom part of the loop. It's OK if most of the loop shows.
10. Secure your FT as usual.

Is that as clear as mud? Maybe someone with better video skills than mine can make a video.

P.S. The beginning of this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfu9uFwUgH8&t=87s) demonstrates what I mean by folding it over. Except I don't twist all the length into the roll.

:flower:

cjk
July 2nd, 2020, 09:58 AM
Double post

cjk
July 2nd, 2020, 10:09 AM
Been a while since I did one of these, obviously I'm out of practice. Thankfully they are very forgiving.

https://i.imgur.com/fG9UqKR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GhjVDxW.jpg

Cg
July 2nd, 2020, 11:40 AM
For you, cjk , they're forgiving. Very nice.

Neoma, that video is great. Congratulations to all who can make this beautiful, elegant style.

Apparently I have too much hair or my head is too small or 1a slick is the wrong texture or I'm hopelessly inept. Possibly all 4.

Neoma
July 2nd, 2020, 05:11 PM
Been a while since I did one of these, obviously I'm out of practice. Thankfully they are very forgiving.

Great job, cjk! What did you secure it with? A French twist comb?

cjk
July 2nd, 2020, 07:12 PM
Great job, cjk! What did you secure it with? A French twist comb?

A French comb. 7 tooth.

https://youtu.be/PePiALIrNLg

Neoma
July 3rd, 2020, 11:35 AM
A French comb. 7 tooth.

https://youtu.be/PePiALIrNLg

Great video, cjk! And your hair is beautiful!

Since you seem to have the back-of-your-head video down pat, could you show us how you do your FT and insert a FT comb? Pretty please? :popcorn:

shelomit
July 3rd, 2020, 11:48 AM
I'm not certain I've seen a French twist done with curlier hair "in the wild." Yours looks fabulous, cjk!

barnet_fair
July 7th, 2020, 02:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqJBTFNims

Thank you for posting this version, bparnell75! This one held surprisingly well for me, and I like how it looked from the back. Unfortunately, I haven't yet mastered the art of creating a French twist in any form that doesn't look ridiculous from the side.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41897&d=1594109278

KokoroDragon
July 7th, 2020, 09:09 AM
Thank you for this thread! I've been looking for ways to style my just-past-APL hair other than braids, but I don't have proper sticks, etc. I was able to make a french twist using the videos everyone shared here, and secured it with two eating chopsticks. It's not held very securely, but enough that it isn't falling out (yet). I really need to get myself some hair toys soon...

Where do you buy your combs? I've been looking through Etsy, but all I've found so far are bridal combs or combs for brushing :rolleyes:

Neoma
July 7th, 2020, 12:34 PM
Thank you for this thread! I've been looking for ways to style my just-past-APL hair other than braids, but I don't have proper sticks, etc. I was able to make a french twist using the videos everyone shared here, and secured it with two eating chopsticks. It's not held very securely, but enough that it isn't falling out (yet). I really need to get myself some hair toys soon...

Where do you buy your combs? I've been looking through Etsy, but all I've found so far are bridal combs or combs for brushing :rolleyes:
You're welcome! I'm glad that you're finding it to be helpful!

I buy my FT combs from Franceluxe.com (https://franceluxe.com/products/france-luxe-handmade-french-twist-comb-classic). The quality of their classic combs is unparalleled. They're highly polished and super smooth cellulose acetate, and they don't feel or look like plastic.

baanoo
July 7th, 2020, 04:37 PM
I love a French twist! I usually use regular Bobby pins to secure them; I’ve never had a comb that stayed put properly. Maybe I’ll have to invest in one...

Neoma
July 8th, 2020, 10:57 AM
I love a French twist! I usually use regular Bobby pins to secure them; I’ve never had a comb that stayed put properly. Maybe I’ll have to invest in one...

I heartily recommend them. Once you get the technique down, they're fast and easy and they secure like glue. :flower:

cjk
July 10th, 2020, 08:30 PM
French twists are such a professional look when I'm going on site. My hair is now long enough that I need to fold it into three sections.

https://i.imgur.com/PGOj8T3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cGjFfr3.jpg

barnet_fair
July 11th, 2020, 11:02 AM
cjk, that's such a professional look. I just love it. I think you'd look so elegant with that French twist, a dark grey woolen suit, and a light blue tie.

Neoma
July 11th, 2020, 11:33 AM
French twists are such a professional look when I'm going on site. My hair is now long enough that I need to fold it into three sections.

https://i.imgur.com/PGOj8T3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cGjFfr3.jpgcjk, I'm curious as to how you fold your hair into three sections. My hair is waist length, and I start by folding my pony in half before twisting. Do you fold yours in thirds?

Also, I love whatever you did to the front of your hair, the "V" that your hair makes before the top of the twist. (That was a lousy sentence, but I hope that you understand what I mean.) How did you do that?

cjk
July 14th, 2020, 02:22 PM
The easiest way to explain it would be that my canopy is much straighter than the rest of my hair. So I brush it straight back, then start gathering the sides. obviously the way I do it places the left and right sides atop the crown hair.

Beyond that, it's no different than any other French twist method. Make a ponytail, twist twist twist, and so forth.

I would make a video showing it but unfortunately my last French twist comb broke today. Teeth just sheared off. I guess it was just its time.

Apparently they are either unavailable on eBay today, or listed incorrectly. Having trouble finding one. And before someone suggests local, neither Sally's nor Ulta beauty carries them either.

Neoma
July 15th, 2020, 01:46 PM
The easiest way to explain it would be that my canopy is much straighter than the rest of my hair. So I brush it straight back, then start gathering the sides. obviously the way I do it places the left and right sides atop the crown hair.

Beyond that, it's no different than any other French twist method. Make a ponytail, twist twist twist, and so forth.

I would make a video showing it but unfortunately my last French twist comb broke today. Teeth just sheared off. I guess it was just its time.

Apparently they are either unavailable on eBay today, or listed incorrectly. Having trouble finding one. And before someone suggests local, neither Sally's nor Ulta beauty carries them either.

Thank you, cjk. I need to try your method. I like the look of what you do with the hair from the front.

Have you tried etsy.com or franceluxe.com for FT combs?

GoddesJourney
October 8th, 2021, 03:43 PM

Yes! Thanks you! I've been learning to approach this style with different techniques and the twisting the last part around the finger first really helps the tuck, which usually looks messy and I have to start over. At TBL, I'm finally finding that sticks and forks are holding my hair instead of falling out. That makes updos so much more fun for me.

DropStitches
February 11th, 2022, 07:55 AM
I just bought a cheap-o French Twist Comb off Amazon, because I wanted to check it would work, structurally, in my length/thickness of hair. I'm pretty pleased with the results - it's an elegant and quick style (and this is on slightly grimy hair, oiled before a wash):

https://i.imgur.com/5hWZ0Gwl.jpg

The comb itself looks quite nice, but you get what you pay for - the plastic is quite rough, especially around some of the prongs (I'm not sure how visible that is in the second photo here).

https://i.imgur.com/Mw6yZFVl.jpg https://i.imgur.com/wGHLfTjl.jpg

Maybe I'll try sanding them down a bit with a nail file? I'd hate for it to snag on my hair... Either way, I've now got a fancier (hopefully entirely snag-free!) comb on the way, and I anticipate this becoming a regular style for me - it feels rather chic!

Dark40
February 12th, 2022, 09:37 PM
Ooh, I love French Twists! I don't ever do them but I'm sure once I gain some more length they will be my go-to hairstyle. I know others that wears them, and they look beautiful on them.

Lady Stardust
February 13th, 2022, 08:59 AM
DropStitches your French twist looks so good!

I don’t have enough thickness to be able to use a comb, I think the tines would poke out through my hair. I’ve tried using wavy u-pins and I thought I’d got the hang of it, but it can be very hit and miss. I’ll give it another whirl when my hair is a bit longer because there will be more to bundle up in there :)

DropStitches
February 14th, 2022, 07:14 AM
My nicer French twist comb arrived, and I love it! Will definitely be introducing this style into heavy rotation while my hair is around this length.

Here is a blurry photo of the comb in my hair (I still really struggle taking photos of the back of my head, sorry!):

https://i.imgur.com/c0IWcTfl.jpg

And the comb out of my hair, alongside a clip I got from the same company:

https://i.imgur.com/RrlBotol.jpg

U.K./Europe-based LHC-ers, I would recommend this brand (Tegen), though they are definitely at the upper end of what I would spend on a clip or a comb. I may well order more, as they had quite a few nice-looking colours.

barnet_fair
February 15th, 2022, 07:27 AM
My nicer French twist comb arrived, and I love it! Will definitely be introducing this style into heavy rotation while my hair is around this length.

Here is a blurry photo of the comb in my hair (I still really struggle taking photos of the back of my head, sorry!):

https://i.imgur.com/c0IWcTfl.jpg

And the comb out of my hair, alongside a clip I got from the same company:

https://i.imgur.com/RrlBotol.jpg

U.K./Europe-based LHC-ers, I would recommend this brand (Tegen), though they are definitely at the upper end of what I would spend on a clip or a comb. I may well order more, as they had quite a few nice-looking colours.

DropStitches, how lovely! The combs suit you and your French twists look great. I think we have similar hair and I am now considering buying a Tegen comb... Shame the Onyx cellulose is sold out. How do you find the size of your combs?

DropStitches
February 16th, 2022, 02:43 AM
DropStitches, how lovely! The combs suit you and your French twists look great. I think we have similar hair and I am now considering buying a Tegen comb... Shame the Onyx cellulose is sold out. How do you find the size of your combs?

Thanks so much! I maybe should have specified - the name of the comb I bought is the ‘curved French pleat comb’ - I think they actually have a few different French pleat/twist comb-y options! When I look online, it *looks* like they still have onyx in that comb (I was really torn between onyx and opal - I love that pearlescence!).

Size-wise, the comb works really well on my hair - however, my hair is only APL at the moment, so I can’t speak to how well it would fare with longer lengths.

baanoo
December 30th, 2022, 09:10 AM
inspired by lady stardust to hop over here - I love a french twist though it is also a bit hit-or-miss with me. I bought a FC comb but have been struggling to get it to hold properly. I seem to have much more consistent luck holding it vertically using a slim two-prong fork (like the long-lost perfect quattro)/giant U-pin

Angelica
December 30th, 2022, 11:09 AM
DropStitches your French twist looks so good!

I don’t have enough thickness to be able to use a comb, I think the tines would poke out through my hair. I’ve tried using wavy u-pins and I thought I’d got the hang of it, but it can be very hit and miss. I’ll give it another whirl when my hair is a bit longer because there will be more to bundle up in there :)

Hi. My hair is thinner than yours and I can do a French pleat. I don't understand the "French twist" thing but suspect that is just twisting the hair rather than rolling it or folding it. I have always known it as the French pleat. I don't like combs because they are too harsh on the hair and the teeth will stick out if your hair is very fine and thin like mine is. However hair grips holds it perfectly well :) You could try that.

Lady Stardust
December 30th, 2022, 11:09 AM
It’s nice to be an inspiration :) and in turn you have inspired me baanoo! I have tried a vertical hair stick many times and it doesn’t usually work, but I tried just now and it did!

I used the method in a video Neoma posted earlier in the thread, where you make a double length twist, fold it and tuck one half behind the other.

My usual problem is that I don’t have much thickness to create a strong enough pocket and to look like it’s properly swept across, but it worked today. Maybe having partially damp hair that is in hedge-backwards state is the ticket.

ETA: Nope I have no idea which video I’m talking about :) I don’t think it was from this thread. I’ll try and find it!

Flittingsis
December 30th, 2022, 02:24 PM
inspired by lady stardust to hop over here - I love a french twist though it is also a bit hit-or-miss with me. I bought a FC comb but have been struggling to get it to hold properly. I seem to have much more consistent luck holding it vertically using a slim two-prong fork (like the long-lost perfect quattro)/giant U-pin

After my semi-successful attempt yesterday with small U pins stuck in horizontally, agree that I think it would hold better pinned vertically some how. I think I came across a video of a messy FC one time on YouTube and they used just one, two prong fork down the top. Mechanically I feel that would hold better but now I'm thinking of it, I'm sure I tried that and it didn't work. :doh:

Lady Stardust
December 30th, 2022, 02:31 PM
I found the video, it was in the first post on this thread!
https://youtu.be/Kfu9uFwUgH8

It does hold nicely with a vertical fork but I don’t have enough hair to hide the fork whichever direction I try. I’ll have to try again with U pins but I agree with you Fittingsis, it feels like it needs something more substantial vertically.

Flittingsis
December 30th, 2022, 06:38 PM
I got an email this morning from Aveda with a link to a video how-do for a braided French twist. I watched it and found the style interesting and wanted to share. Be aware it is a promotional video so it is trying to sell Aveda products.
https://youtu.be/VvvgrY_dE44

Priska
December 31st, 2022, 12:03 AM
Oh man, I bought yesterday three little plastic hairforks or u-pins (maybe 7cm long) and they give absolutely the best holding for my french twists so far! :O I'm amazed!
(I have not been trying so many different tools anyway... Or I have given up too easily. I bought also a comb for buns yesterday and that worked ok too. Before I was not able to create this hairdo with a comb.) I've been practising this hairdo for 20 years and I hope I now finally can wall out from my home having this hairdo. 😁

Priska
December 31st, 2022, 01:59 AM
Here are many interesting ways to tie FT: https://youtu.be/ng24Ka18eOo

Choose the most popular videos. I so wanna try that stick method (in the link), or she puts the fork up but 2 -sponged fork can as well be 2 sticks I think.

I think FT is very beautiful when it is V-shaped and grows a bit bigger upwards and the down part is tight. No hanging.

Priska
December 31st, 2022, 02:23 AM
Those instructions are absolutely genious and life changing! :O Bye bye claw clips!

GoatLady
December 31st, 2022, 04:44 PM
Thanks to this thread I decided to wear a French Twist today. With a France Luxe comb. Thank you, Neoma, for the Lazy French Twist tutorial. I could never get my twists to stay put all day, but with your method it did. I used my comb on the side, instead of a vertical fork, but apparently the added thickness of the twist was what was needed for my comb to grab onto. It didn't budge all day... even when I put a hood on. Yay! https://youtu.be/Kfu9uFwUgH8

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48231&d=1672530106

embee
December 31st, 2022, 04:53 PM
That's lovely! And that's a pretty comb as well. :)

Priska
September 9th, 2023, 01:20 PM
This recepy is insanely good and stylish, and held my french twist in its place with one stick all day: https://youtube.com/watch?v=CUUhZSMhECg&feature=share8

floridaorchid
September 9th, 2023, 03:13 PM
I haven't seen this thread before! That is a great video Priska! :)
GoatLady, that twist is so gorgeous, the comb is to die for.