PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Strategy and Tools....

oldrocker
May 4th, 2020, 04:28 PM
I searched for different threads, but couldn't come up with something comprehensive. Let me know if there is a better place for this, but...

I am still very early in the regrow, but looking for a thread that merges basic care over time. A couple questions:

First thing I have been trying to do is do benign neglect, along with Coconut Oil overnight before morning SC. Has worked fairly well for a couple months, but worrying about build up. Tried an ACV rinse yesterday morning after SC, and while wet, felt pretty smooth, but afterwards, about the same.

Are oil pre-poos only good for the short term? Or do the oils build up on the length over time(not worried about scalp right now)?

It seems that looking up a single topic/thread, there is no correlation on how it affects the hair long term, nor how each one interacts with others. I.E., Do certain oils build up, need clarifying by a specific method, and you start again?

The FAQs look more like specific treatments, for specific types of hair and specific conditions?

I know that experimentation with different techniques is required to find what is best for your specific hair type/condition might be essential, but was hoping for a more concise 'matrix?' of what works together, what not to do at the same time, etc....

Sorry to make this too all-encompassing.

thanks,
O.R.

-Fern
May 4th, 2020, 04:50 PM
I guess the main issue is that everyone's hair is a little different, so there is no perfect guide. You just have to try and see what works for you through a bit of trial and error! My main attitude towards my hair is benign neglect with weekly pampering (...when I feel like it). I usually wash (shampoo & conditioner) three times a week.

My hair LOVES oils, just not coconut oil or pre-poo treatments. Why? No clue. For me it causes scalp irritation and build up. For other people, no issue. Instead I either do ROO (rinse-out oil treatment while conditioning) or apply a few drops of oil to damp hair. Pumpkin oil, avocado oil, and jojoba oil have all worked great for me. Pure aloe gel as part of a moisturizing treatment seems to work great for a large % of people.

Bri-Chan
May 4th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Mh how much oil do you use? I think I never had a oil build up but I do use a little amount of product. Before I wash, on my hair there is almost no oil anymore. I think build up is possible with too much product or with a too mild shampoo.

MusicalSpoons
May 4th, 2020, 06:22 PM
I put conditioner on top of the oil to emulsify it better before shampooing.

Long-term, I occasionally clarify if my hand feels like it needs it, but that's maybe once or twice a year to be honest (possibly three times if I end up using a conditioner that turns out to build up quicker). I pre-poo oil, condition, shampoo, oil rinse, condition, and I don't use sulphates or even coco-betaine, but I just don't normally seem to get buildup. I have very hard water too :shrug:

Honestly, just be guided by how your hair feels. If it feels like it needs clarifying, do that, and if not, just keep going. Same with your choice of oils, just see how it goes. I've quickly learned during my time here to be imprecise and flexible when it comes to hair :lol:

SleepyTangles
May 5th, 2020, 01:55 AM
When I try to avoid build up, i always end up drying my hair out. I'd say, if your hair is happy, go for It and don't worry too much about future build-up. Clarifying is super easy... and every now and then my scalp likes a deeper clease.

As far as I know, protein-rich oils like coconut may have some downsides with repeated use. If your hair Is not damaged by bleach, a fluid oil (almond, olive, avocado, hemp... ) may be a safer alternative.
Coconut oil is unique in many ways, but not all hair types like It. I mostly use It when i bleach my hair to protect the already-bleached tips from any overlap.

I always use oils over damp hair, but that's my preference. I've read in an article somewhere that it's healthier for the hair, but I don't remember the full explanation.

Lucy McLucyFace
May 5th, 2020, 05:22 AM
An oil build up can become a problem if it makes your hair unable to receive moisture and in an extreme case if it weighs down your hair shaft to the point of breakage.

That bring said I can't wash pre-poo oils either, my hair ends up with a nasty waxy texture. What works for me is to apply a very light oil to the lengths (not scalp) gradually over the previous day avoiding overloading my hair and brushing it through. In the wash morning the ends don't look greasy and it washes just fine. Just a matter of finding something that works for you :o