PDA

View Full Version : PROS and CONS of layers - heavy, soft?

Wusel
May 2nd, 2020, 05:33 AM
Hi everyone,
after watching this video:

https://youtu.be/ejzTVXvBon0
I'm thinking of giving me some layers like this.
Since the last time I had layers is a very long time ago I forgot, so before I decide I'd like to know, what you think the pros and cons are of having layers and what kind of layers you have, meaning, how short is your shortest layer? Is it only soft or heavier layering?
Thank you :)
I hope this helps me to decide whether I should do it or not.

Bri-Chan
May 2nd, 2020, 07:14 AM
Now I just have some old layers growing out and also some old face framing layers... What I think is:
-pro: increasing the natural wavy/curly pattern; give to thick hair a less heavy look (maybe here things change for everyone's style)
-con: thinner ends obviously; a straight hemline looks more protective for the ends, especially if you aim for very long hair; layers don't mean necessarily more easy going or better looking hair. Also, they tooks years to grow out if you don't like them.

I'm not contrary to layers, but I think you should understand how would your hair looks and what is the look you are going for.

stephy190
May 2nd, 2020, 07:21 AM
I personally find layers take a lot more styling and work and I hated waking up in the morning to short layers sticking up everywhere when I had them. But i think with long hair and very long layers it could add some style and maybe would still lie nice and not need as much work.

I prefer the blunt straight across hemline as it feels healthier and easier to grow out, less work and maintenance trying to keep the bottom thick! :) plus over time my hair kind of gets some natural layers around the front due to damage so with layers plus damage I feel like it would just end up looking bad on me as my hair Is fine and prone to damage so I prefer one length.

I agree with bri chan the amount of time to grow them out isn't fun!! Lol

Edit: this is just my experience with my hair type, but layers may suit you great with your hair type :)

C_Bookworm
May 2nd, 2020, 08:34 AM
I love layers on my shorter hair. They naturally fall in a way I like (mostly straight, with a bend at the end), so there isn’t extra styling required. They also soften updos and make them more flattering for my face.

The con, for me, is when my hair gets longer. Layers need to stay a certain shortness to look flattering in updos, but it looks quite silly for me to have long hair and short layers when my hair is down. They also thin out the ends and contribute to braid shred. Irritating. :mad:

And Bri-Chan is so right that chopping out layers extends the growing out process! I decided I’d do layers as I grew out but the ultimate goal would be a blunt hemline. My hair doesn’t naturally grow in a straight line (tends toward a U or V hemline), so I’m already fighting its natural tendencies to get a blunt hemline. Compounding that with layers has already added a year of additional cuts, with more to come in the near future.

Kake
May 2nd, 2020, 08:59 AM
If I had medium and thick hair like yours I would have long layers. I love that look, and think it suits all lengths, from BSL on.

Laurab
May 2nd, 2020, 09:08 AM
I personally love my layers.
When I started growing out my hair the first thing my stylist did was cut it all one length so it would grow out evenly. Then when it got to shoulder length she put in some layers, and I was SO happy with the result. For me, all one length just felt bulky and weird, it gave me a triangle head and made me feel like I was back to my high school hair.
The layers made everything lay better and look like an actual style, rather than it looking like an in between style for hair growth.
I'm pretty sure what I have is internal layering (she goes through with a razor to thin it out, with my thicker hair that helps a lot) and some light long layers. I really just have one section of hair that's visibly shorter than the rest, but it's enough to make a difference. It's about three inches shorter than the rest of my hair.
The only con I've found is that layers can stick out weird in braids.
I think how much you'd like layers depends on your hair type, personal preference, and what kind of layers you get.

-Fern
May 2nd, 2020, 09:53 AM
I recently cut my hair back into long layers to get a V-shaped hemline, and I'm really happy with it. One caution: YouTube methods have not worked well for my super thick hair. I almost always wind up just correcting it freehand.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41071&d=1587355157

It is really difficult to bun effectively now, but I have no regrets--it is much lighter, and feels kind of fun and playful when I wear it down instead of feeling like a miniature cape.

Do what makes you happy!

SleepyTangles
May 2nd, 2020, 10:19 AM
I love soft, barely-there layers, tough they are a bit inconvenient for microtrimmin and dusting! A soft taper also makes braids less bulky and easier to hide braid tassels (tough, the braid itself may be a bit more "spikey" with layers poking through).
I also like one-length hairstyles, I don´t think they look boring at all, and they are very handy for braided and bunned hairstyles.
Heavy layers are a big NO for me, I don´t think I´ve ever seen anyone (apart from UltraBella, our lovely member, that isn´t very active in this period) looking really good with heavy layers. Or at least, not without consistent styling.

My go-to advice is to start layering the face-framing pieces to suit your everyday hairstyles and add softness; then, if you can stand that, you can go layering all your hair ;).

spidermom
May 2nd, 2020, 10:56 AM
I like layers because they cut down on drying time and weight, plus they reveal the wavy/curly texture to best advantage.

Also, with a blunt hem, I really hate the look of my little head at the top, then my hair flowing out big and wide at the bottom, like a pyramid. I hate that look no matter what length my hair is. Layers help to balance the look for me; the flow just looks better to my eye.

Of course with extreme length, there comes a time when the ends have thinned out enough naturally that I need all the thickness I can get down there to keep the ends from wisping away to nothing. I will start trimming to more of a blunt hem when/if that happens.

Obsidian
May 2nd, 2020, 11:50 AM
I think it also depends a lot on texture. For curly or wavies, layers are nice to remove some of the bulk and bring out the texture. I quite like layers and will never, ever try a blunt cut again.

On straighter hair, its very easy for layers to look choppy and badly done. I don't like the cut in the video at all, the shortest layer is just too blunt, it looks like really long blunt bangs.
I think it would have looked better to have softer, more blended in layers.
Since you are a 1, I would really recommend a professional cut from a qualified stylist. Bring a lot of photos and speak up about what you want and don't want.

Milady_DeWinter
May 2nd, 2020, 01:17 PM
Pros: None to me.

Cons: Thins ends, braids look terrible, takes ages to grow, and to me look way worse on loose hair in general. After over 3 years I'm still growing out mine and hate them to bits :P

I'm a curly 2c/3a for reference. Other curlies like them, not me.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2020, 05:10 PM
I would wait until at least waist length hair, on BSL, you barely can cut in long layers (unless you cut them really short).

hennalonghair
May 2nd, 2020, 05:52 PM
Pros: None to me.

Cons: Thins ends, braids look terrible, takes ages to grow, and to me look way worse on loose hair in general. After over 3 years I'm still growing out mine and hate them to bits :P

I'm a curly 2c/3a for reference. Other curlies like them, not me.
Exact same answer. I’m the same texture and dislike layers. It leaves my hair unprotected and my braids straggly looking and pieces stick out of my buns.
My hair is healthier all one length except for bangs which I’ll always have.

Sunny
May 2nd, 2020, 05:55 PM
I really like my layers. I have long layers that I've been maintaining (professionally) while I'm growing my hair out. I do not have anything face-framing, since I already have bangs; the layers are for my length only. Since I reached WL I haven't had any issue making buns; that's the first time I tried to bun using sticks or forks only. Some buns work and look better than others - as is always the case - but I've got plenty of options. Also, as a wavy I enjoy curling my hair (wet set). With layers, the curls relax into a beautiful flow. With a blunt hem, they're just stacked on each other and make the end look oddly thick. The single drawback is that braids shed, but my braids have done that all my life, layers or no. I usually only braid for active stuff or sleeping anyway.

harpgal
May 3rd, 2020, 05:41 AM
It really depends on how long you want to grow. Layers will thin out your hemline a lot sooner. Consequently, if you are wanting extreme lengths, do not create layers.

ReadingRenee
May 3rd, 2020, 06:30 PM
I love this woman's videos and I actually have cut my layers the way she recommends a few times. It always looks good at first, but then my ends get too thin and I can't stand it. I think if my hair was to my goal length and I wasn't growing anymore, I would do this layer cut. But I find it is really bad for growing out my hair. My hair is not super thick, it is fine and wavy/curly and the ends just get so thin and ragged. But that is my fine hair.

Glitch
May 3rd, 2020, 07:18 PM
I've always hated layers on myself, and have had such hard times in the past where stylists would insist on cutting them in. I love heavy/fuller, blunt ends/hemlines and the layers definitely thin things up a lot for me. Having naturally wavy hair, it's also been very annoying with all the various layers of hair waving out separately in all sorts of directions with their different weights and lengths (especially when they'd dry up after a shower), which would drive me to straighten my hair to control it all. Just hate them! The only type of layer I can stand is a thick face framing layer on each side of the face, and even then I'd prefer those two to be at least collarbone length.

hennalonghair
May 3rd, 2020, 07:43 PM
I have to agree that thickness makes a huge difference and personal length goals. If you want ultra long hair then cutting layers into it especially if it’s thin, will lessen the chance of reaching those lengths. Some members with super thick slightly wavy hair can handle layers which look fabulous. Dreamsheep was one of them. I know there are others but can’t think of them offhand.

Wusel
May 3rd, 2020, 10:29 PM
I like layers because they cut down on drying time and weight, plus they reveal the wavy/curly texture to best advantage.

Also, with a blunt hem, I really hate the look of my little head at the top, then my hair flowing out big and wide at the bottom, like a pyramid. I hate that look no matter what length my hair is. Layers help to balance the look for me; the flow just looks better to my eye.

Of course with extreme length, there comes a time when the ends have thinned out enough naturally that I need all the thickness I can get down there to keep the ends from wisping away to nothing. I will start trimming to more of a blunt hem when/if that happens.

THIS.
Look at this picture (it's a thumbnail form a perfume review, ignore the Aventus, LOL):
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41225&d=1588565898
It looks like a triangle.
My hair is naturally wavy, the waves in this picture are partly from a french braid before. My natural waves hang out very fast. They are there after a wash and disappear within 2 hours. I have a lot of hair, in the back it's about half an inch past bra strap now, when straight.
I was thinking, if I would get layers, my waves wouldn't hang out so fast and it wouldn't look like a triangle and so flat on top. My hair is heavy, so whatever I do, I always have this flatness on top. I'm not sure if this is something I want to wear...

Wusel
May 3rd, 2020, 10:34 PM
It really depends on how long you want to grow. Layers will thin out your hemline a lot sooner. Consequently, if you are wanting extreme lengths, do not create layers.

I want to grow to about tailbone-classic.Not longer.

kinakolatte
May 3rd, 2020, 11:36 PM
I think layers look pretty on really thick curly or wavy hair. My sister has incredibly thick, curly hair and her hair is so cute with layers! I have really fine hair that's 1c/2a, and it looked SO bad with layers, it looked like I accidentally leaned over a paper shredder. I had to cut my hair into a short bob to fix it. LOL. I like the bob, though.

SleepyTangles
May 4th, 2020, 12:33 AM
THIS.
Look at this picture (it's a thumbnail form a perfume review, ignore the Aventus, LOL):
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41225&d=1588565898
My hair is naturally wavy, the waves in this picture are partly from a french braid before. My natural waves hang out very fast. They are there after a wash and disappear within 2 hours. I have a lot of hair, in the back it's about half an inch past bra strap now, when straight.
I was thinking, if I would get layers, my waves wouldn't hang out so fast and it wouldn't look like a triangle and so flat on top. My hair is heavy, so whatever I do, I always have this flatness on top. I'm not sure if this is something I want to wear...

On me, layers kinda make the triangle thing worse. They are light and fluffy, so no matter the cut: unless they are well past waist, they tend to "flare" at the bottom.

Bri-Chan
May 4th, 2020, 02:00 AM
THIS.

I think you should wait for longer hair to judge. I have the triangle too at that length, but not when my hair reaches waist.

Simsy
May 4th, 2020, 03:16 AM
THIS.

Having been right here, and had this exact problem (including the length I made it to); layers will help but you need to manage your expectations. I had layers from ear/chin down to about waist-ish before I stopped cutting them in. At shorter lengths, the layers help keep the curl calmer between cuts, made the whole mop a lot easier to manage, and sorta fixed the triangle hair situation to a certain point. They also tended to split faster, poof faster, and frizz really fast. I also tried thinning shears; they worked about as well as the layers. A combination of the two can go a long way to making your hair a lot easier to manage. It can also cause a mess of other problems that you might blame on the hair itself (I sure did). The triangle is just something you will continue to have, it fades a little as you get a bit more length so just hang in there for that one.

Now, had I been taking care of my curls properly, those layers probably wouldn’t have been necessary at all; I would have had actual curls to work around instead of hellish waves and might have done things different. But we work with the knowledge we have; and I did not know my curls. Your mileage my vary on this.

My biggest help was moving my part to a side or diagonal part; and directing some hair forwards a bit if I planned to wear it loose. Again, it only goes so far, but it might help.

The good news is, if you decide to try it now and it doesn’t work; you haven’t sacrificed a lot of length and it should catch up fairly quickly.

Jane99
May 4th, 2020, 06:09 AM
I have mixed feelings about my layers... they add extra volume and style, which I love... but it is impossible to really trim the layers evenly and thoroughly so the ends on my layers are much worse/split/damaged than at the hemline. Also, some hairdressers give bad layers. I’m recalling my friend who had been cutting hair for 10 years, and she gave me a mullet. It was awful and took years to grow out. Still the same, I like the added volume and style of layers in my hair. I think I’d go for longer layers if I ever go to a hairdresser again

hennalonghair
May 4th, 2020, 06:50 AM
Having been right here, and had this exact problem (including the length I made it to); layers will help but you need to manage your expectations. I had layers from ear/chin down to about waist-ish before I stopped cutting them in. At shorter lengths, the layers help keep the curl calmer between cuts, made the whole mop a lot easier to manage, and sorta fixed the triangle hair situation to a certain point. They also tended to split faster, poof faster, and frizz really fast. I also tried thinning shears; they worked about as well as the layers. A combination of the two can go a long way to making your hair a lot easier to manage. It can also cause a mess of other problems that you might blame on the hair itself (I sure did). The triangle is just something you will continue to have, it fades a little as you get a bit more length so just hang in there for that one.

Now, had I been taking care of my curls properly, those layers probably wouldn’t have been necessary at all; I would have had actual curls to work around instead of hellish waves and might have done things different. But we work with the knowledge we have; and I did not know my curls. Your mileage my vary on this.

My biggest help was moving my part to a side or diagonal part; and directing some hair forwards a bit if I planned to wear it loose. Again, it only goes so far, but it might help.

The good news is, if you decide to try it now and it doesn’t work; you haven’t sacrificed a lot of length and it should catch up fairly quickly.
This is how I feel also. Layers in hair are difficult to trim and cut healthy and if you go to the hair stylist, they aren’t going to take time to find those exact layers to trim them. They will just create new ones since it’s so much easier for them. My hair at that length was triangle like and most difficult to bun. Trying to hide those thick ends in a bun, next to impossible. Even braids were so uneven at the ends due to having no taper. Length is certainly on your side when you’ve got thick curly hair .

My washing style is also very similar only I ‘have’ to wash my scalp otherwise it gets all itchy but how to put your hair up to dry is almost exactly the same. I even clip half back let the roots dry and add some lift while letting the under curls dry.

My nap hair OFTEN gets tangly and it’s terminal length is far shorter than the rest of my hair.

BerrySara
May 4th, 2020, 08:19 PM
Im personally so ready for my layers to be gone. Growing out layers sucks because the only way to even it out is to lose all the length between the shortest layers and the longest. I agree with those who pointed out that your ends end up thinning out alot faster especially if you go for extended periods of no trimming. As well as trying to trim the layers are difficult.

Edit: Also wanted to add that I personally really like the triangle look.

Wusel
May 7th, 2020, 03:46 AM
Thank you very much :)
I have decided to wait until my hair reaches waist, which should happen around February 2020, and will see if I go for long layers then :) will have to deal with the triangle or choose updos. I wore a messy bun in a video yesterday and got SO many compliments. :)

lapushka
May 7th, 2020, 02:24 PM
Wusel, not to have a triangle on BSL, you are going to have to go pretty short (like chin) with the layering. It's like I said before; if you can wait until it is waist length. And then you might not even have to layer it anymore!

I would wait!

Lady_Eowyn
May 10th, 2020, 09:05 AM
I like how the layers look on thick wavy BSL hair. I got layers cut several times (even when I didn't ask for them) - and on my ii wavy hair it was always a nuisance. In general my hair looked pretty thin at the ends, and due to layers I never got a feeling of having long hair, even at middle-back-length.

emmacarol
June 29th, 2020, 09:36 AM
About 3-4 years ago, I had my hair professionally cut into long layers by a stylist. My hair was probably between BSL and mid back at the time, with the shortest layers coming to just below my chin.

For reference, I have pretty straight 1a/1b hair with each individual strand being fine but there's a lot of them, which gives me pretty average thickness I would say.

When I first got my layers cut, and for a couple years, I really loved them. They made my hair look more piece-y and gave it body and kept it from looking too weighed down. My stylist is really great and has been cutting my hair and my mom's hair for years, so she did a good job. I totally agree though that on straight hair it's easy to do them wrong and I would agree that you should go to a stylist and be very very specific about what you want. Pictures are key!! Also, this is probably just a me thing, but when my hair was shorter and therefore lighter, it would make these cute little spiral curls just at the end sometimes and the layers would naturally flip a little at the bottoms, helping the layers look good without styling them any more than putting a little holding cream in my hair.

However, now that I'm growing my hair out and really going for healthy hair and length, the layers annoy me a bit. It makes the ends thinner than they need to be, and when I braid my hair the braid gets VERY thin closer to the end. It's not damaged or anything, there's just less hair towards the bottom. My hair is TBL now and I'm going for classic, so each time I get a trim I ask my stylist to take a little more off the longest layers than the rest of the hair, so I'm slowly phasing them out without losing a ton of length in one go (I would probably have to take off about 4 inches to get the layers totally gone at this point, and they don't bother me enough to sacrifice that much length).

So overall, I think layers can be good for some people and not for others. It really depends on how much you care about the ends of your hair being thinner and braid taper. I wouldn't say I regret the layers since I enjoyed them for a couple years, but definitely think hard about it since they take a very long time to get rid of without chopping off a lot of hair, which is something I didn't realize when I first got them. Also keep in mind that this is all advice from a straight-haired girl, I can't speak for what it would be like with curly/textured hair!