PDA

View Full Version : I watched all the steps...

April 30th, 2020, 02:24 AM
https://youtu.be/xRuXpxNiBaw

And got depressed, too many steps.
I have tighter curls than Mel does, it means I have to use smaller brush/comb :(? Maybe that's why only these small combs work for me :(. Don't even tell me about finger coiling or cutting curl by curl, it really will take 75 years :(.

AutobotsAttack
April 30th, 2020, 04:00 AM
Either take the time to shingle/layer better, or be content with less definition. The more you separate, and evenly distribute product, the better, if using a smaller comb is a complaint of yours. If you diffuse just go for slightly bigger sections when defining and then leave it alone once it’s at least mostly dry. There’s no need to combing your hair once your curl pattern starts to shrink up during the drying process. If you’ve got a tighter curl pattern, again, combs and brushes become less of a necessity as your hair dries aside from a bit of picking and fluffing.

blackgothicdoll
April 30th, 2020, 08:18 PM
Yeah I don't have time for that and I have way too much hair. Power to those who define their curls and all that but I just cannot and I don't think it's mandatory for curly hair either. Just do what you want.

When my hair was a lot shorter and not nearly as thick, a trick I learned was applying gel while in the shower so it was easier to brush through under the water, just brush it through the whole mess, turn off the water and wring out the excess with my hands - like wringing out a damp cloth. Done.

May 1st, 2020, 01:17 PM
The point is I absolutely don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I don't even know how to define (other than using rhubarb root but it's drying as hell so I'm not sure if I should use that).

Normally I wash with whatever method (water only, baby shampoo, egg yolk, soapnuts, etc) scritch (on short hair it makes spikes), go bathe and when I leave the tub I just let it air dry (don't even use towel unless it's winter, put it up if it's long).

I never used hair gel, mousse, etc... Used hairspray couple of times years ago, not very successfully. So when I see vid like this I don't even know what I'm seeing, it's like being punished for having curls, I'm supposed to spend 5hrs in the bathroom :(.

I'm supposed to leave conditioner in? Or gel?

blackgothicdoll
May 1st, 2020, 01:51 PM
The point is I absolutely don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I don't even know how to define (other than using rhubarb root but it's drying as hell so I'm not sure if I should use that).

Normally I wash with whatever method (water only, baby shampoo, egg yolk, soapnuts, etc) scritch (on short hair it makes spikes), go bathe and when I leave the tub I just let it air dry (don't even use towel unless it's winter, put it up if it's long).

I never used hair gel, mousse, etc... Used hairspray couple of times years ago, not very successfully. So when I see vid like this I don't even know what I'm seeing, it's like being punished for having curls, I'm supposed to spend 5hrs in the bathroom :(.

I'm supposed to leave conditioner in? Or gel?

Well then... just don't. I guess I don't understand the problem. You don't have to do any of this; you don't have to do anything. Just wear your hair the way you like. If you want do wear it in defined curls then play around and find shortcuts or a compromise that works for you. Otherwise I can't say what you're 'supposed' to do if it's not what you want to do.

leayellena
May 2nd, 2020, 12:17 AM
the point is those 2 girls are payed to sell you tones of products. I tried this CG method when I joined LHC but honestly it was the haircut that curled and swooshed and jumped around full of volume like it was a ghettoblaster! this until I microtrimmed and got rid of some of my layers. then I discovered I have a damn 1c maybe 1c/2a if "I'm lucky" but nothing more. the curlier the hair, the frizzier it gets. that's why we lhcers bun it. we also keep stupid questions away from us hehe

lapushka
May 2nd, 2020, 03:42 AM
Why not just wash/condition, and put some kind of styler in, whether that be a simple leave-in, or a curl cream or a little bit of gel, whatever you prefer. And do that?

Do you still brush it dry? If not, then you could give that a go! It does not have to be complicated at all.

May 2nd, 2020, 04:13 AM
So what is important for styling? Conditioner or gel or what? Do I have to use conditioner at all if my hair's oily as hell? In CG method they promote all these gels, but in tightly curly method she just leaves conditioner in, I'm confused. My hair's very curly when it's freshly washed and wet but curl disappears at it dries.

I bought conditioner, CO-washed and then put some in and left it in and I had oily poofy hair. So yeah, whatever. Is that how CG nirvana is supposed to look like? *sarcasm*

Blackgothicdoll, I never treated them as curly hair so I'm hoping that if I do they'll be more managable? Because the way I treated them so far they're only managable when buzzed off, so yeah :/. I want managability, health, etc. I don't have styling preferences other than keeping hair out of my face if possible. I don't care - straight, wavy, curly, whatever. Everyone's talking about fashion but hair's not a sweater, it's body part, I'd like to keep it healthy. If I'm doing something wrong that causes me problems I want to fix it... That's why I'm asking what I'm supposed to do. There must be some basic universal rules, come on... Like, it's bad to eat a hamburger, for everyone, lol.

Leayellena, oh yeah, YT is scammy like ****. One big spam, dressed up nicely.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2020, 04:32 AM
01, I don't think I've ever seen your hair. Could you maybe post a picture, if you want to, that is. :flower:

If your hair isn't that long yet, I think about a dollop spread through palms and just pinched on the ends would do just fine! And you can use whatever you want, leave-in, curling cream, gel. I would start with just one styler at a time, to see if you like it and if it works for you.

Simsy
May 2nd, 2020, 05:03 AM
So what is important for styling? Conditioner or gel or what? Do I have to use conditioner at all if my hair's oily as hell? In CG method they promote all these gels, but in tightly curly method she just leaves conditioner in, I'm confused. My hair's very curly when it's freshly washed and wet but curl disappears at it dries.

I bought conditioner, CO-washed and then put some in and left it in and I had oily poofy hair. So yeah, whatever. Is that how CG nirvana is supposed to look like? *sarcasm*

Blackgothicdoll, I never treated them as curly hair so I'm hoping that if I do they'll be more managable? Because the way I treated them so far they're only managable when buzzed off, so yeah :/. I want managability, health, etc. I don't have styling preferences other than keeping hair out of my face if possible. I don't care - straight, wavy, curly, whatever. Everyone's talking about fashion but hair's not a sweater, it's body part, I'd like to keep it healthy. If I'm doing something wrong that causes me problems I want to fix it... That's why I'm asking what I'm supposed to do. There must be some basic universal rules, come on... Like, it's bad to eat a hamburger, for everyone, lol.

Leayellena, oh yeah, YT is scammy like ****. One big spam, dressed up nicely.

Curls don’t have to be high maintenance if that’s not your jam. My hair doesn’t tolerate most leave-ins, hairspray, gels or creams. It’s all just too much. I soak my hair in conditioner; rinse it out completely and oil once it’s dry. That’s it. I don’t get defined curls after day 2, maybe day 3; and that’s ok because I wear my hair up. It gets brushed, and put up; might get taken down in a couple of days to be detangled and put back up.

Basic rules...ok; from my own experience,
-Learn what your hair wants and start with that
-Start simple and work up to complicated
-Start with what’s already working and correct from there
-If something goes wrong or starts reacting badly; back up to what last worked, wait until everything settles and progress with something else if required/desired.

My hair wants to washed minimally and otherwise left alone. Your hair might be equally happy to be largely left to its own devices, restrained or otherwise is up to you. My curls need shampoo; CO is basically me begging for tangles. If your hair wants moisture but doesn’t like leave-ins; soak with conditioner while in the shower and rinse.

It doesn’t have to be hard; and honestly, there’s no prizes for making it hard for yourself.

May 2nd, 2020, 06:26 AM
Okay, so, baby shampoo, rinse, that one and only condish that I have and am not sure if my hair likes (heh), rinse and that's it? Or leaving something in defines the curls? Or no? Why people leave stuff in, it's to style or these people have hair so dry that they have to leave something in?

Obsidian
May 2nd, 2020, 07:57 AM
From the curly videos I watch is usually goes so something like this.

Wash
Rinse out conditioner
Leave in conditioner for extra moisture
Curl defining cream to enhance curls
Gel to lock in curls

Now there is no way I can use products like this, it just weighs my hair down and makes it look/feel dirty.

I wash, condition and use a little leave in and thats it. If I'm really frizzy, I might add a tiny bit of coney serum. Many times I just skip conditioner.

What are your hair concerns right now? Do you need more curl definition?

lapushka
May 2nd, 2020, 09:57 AM
Okay, so, baby shampoo, rinse, that one and only condish that I have and am not sure if my hair likes (heh), rinse and that's it? Or leaving something in defines the curls? Or no? Why people leave stuff in, it's to style or these people have hair so dry that they have to leave something in?

Why the baby shampoo, though? It is not more gentle than regular shampoo (only might be better on the eyes).

You leave something in, so your hair doesn't go "poof".

It does not have to be complicated, and it isn't.

Wash
Rinse out conditioner
Gel to lock in curls

Now there is no way I can use products like this, it just weighs my hair down and makes it look/feel dirty.

I wash, condition and use a little leave in and thats it. If I'm really frizzy, I might add a tiny bit of coney serum. Many times I just skip conditioner.

Length is massively a player here. Shorter hair really doesn't need much at all.

cjk
May 2nd, 2020, 12:43 PM
Why the baby shampoo, though? It is not more gentle than regular shampoo (only might be better on the eyes).

Actually the yellow baby shampoo is one of the harshest cleansing shampoos on the market. It will leave curly hair feeling like dried out straw, but it will be stripped clean.

I keep a bottle around, actually a knock off from Dollar Tree, and use it about once a month to clarify any build up.

Length is massively a player here. Shorter hair really doesn't need much at all.

Condition, porosity, absorbency, and so forth play parts as well. I have a stripe of extremely absorbent and extremely dry hair running right down the middle of my scalp almost like a mohawk.

I'm guessing it's sun-bleached because it's also a bright blond strip of highlights dead center.

I could literally empty a bottle of conditioner on to the top of my head and it would absorb so quickly and easily that that stripe would be dry in seconds.

In fact I've tried it.

That's why there's no such thing as a single curly girl method. It's almost a philosophical approach to hair Care, adding the moisture your hair needs and so forth. And accomplishing that by stripping the surface bear so that moisture can be more easily absorbed.

That's the core of the curly girl method, getting your hair well moisturized and in its healthiest possible state.

Exactly how that is achieved can and does vary for each individual.

Simsy
May 2nd, 2020, 11:26 PM

Yeah that’s about all you need. A good basic routine that works. I’m not sure the baby shampoo is doing you any favours; and you can probably find a conditioner that you and your hair like more; but that’s a good routine to work from.

The leave-ins are usually there to encourage and amp up the curl. If you’ve ever seen the massive curly styles that are used in the advertising, that’s the look. It’s especially for those who wear the curls loose and want the “gravity defying” look that only happy, loose curls can achieve when short. Once you get past a certain length, the gravity defying part becomes a lot harder to achieve, even with the help. I don’t use them because my hair is always bunned. If you are wearing your hair up or away, you probably don’t need any of them.

I can’t stress this enough; you don’t have to use them. My hair actually gets dried out and tangles horrifically if I use them. I will use the occasional leave-in mask, but that’s more for an extended moisture treatment than amping curls I don’t intend to keep for the week. Frankly, if your hair is in good condition and healthy; you probably won’t even need that.

As has been mentioned further upthread, curls are about as individual as you will ever get. We can offer options but it really depends on your hair with what works and what you are wiling to try.

May 11th, 2020, 08:48 AM
You leave something in, so your hair doesn't go "poof".

Ahahah, fair enough. That's the thing, my hair is very curly when it's wet but it looses curl as it dries. Does this mean it's not moisturized enough? Or should I not worry about it? I literally have crazy, even, very defined curls but it dries straight/slightly wavyish. Not poofy. That's because it's short, on longer hair (past shoulders) it just goes poof and no curl, not straight either. I'm confused.

I use this:
https://static.wizaz.pl/media/cache/400x400/kwc/review/5/c/5cc780a8a0023.jpeg

It's the only thing other than egg yolk and soapnuts that my scalp tolerates. Don't worry, I don't use Johnson's Baby, it has terrible reviews, apparently children get allergic reactions from it, heh.

I wanted to take a photo but I saw my huge bald patch and got depressed, so yeah... I think it got bigger since the corona :(. Sometimes I wonder if keeping my hair more moisturized would help with the hair loss, I don't know.

So what I'm supposed to do, step by step, to make my curls stay? I never cared for them as curly hair. Yes, I tried CO, but I never had full curly routine, I only focused on different wash methods (tried different herbs, WO, CO, etc), DIY masks, oiling, henna, horn comb, DIY cuts, scarves, buns, braids, stuff like that. But I never worn them curly for extended periods of time. Rhubarb root gave me good definition (well... Kinda, you'll read in a minute, heh) on long hair, but some parts of my hair curled into little, round tangle balls instead of curls! So I had these mini 3b/c curls, saw them literally first time in my life and *bam!* tiny tangle balls everywhere! So I combed it all out... So, you see, I'm completely terrified by my curls. It's not that I prefer the straight look, I just can't manage curly...

ynne
May 12th, 2020, 01:44 AM
What is the main goal you have for your hair right now, for the curls to stay in shape? Or something else?

I think I already mentioned it on your previous thread (and imho you should re-read it, lots and lots of people chimed in with their curly routines that you can take as inspiration :)), but for me, my curls can't handle any disturbing when they are drying – no combing, I can't even put them up in a t-shirt wrap, so I separate it before and during wash, and then let it air dry. And they do better with a little help for definition (I follow a version of LOC now, but I can't any give specific advice here, not knowing your hair, and that's not really as minimalistic as you were looking for, I think).

Squishing product in (like with squish to condish, which you must have seen after going through youtube) encourages the curl for me, but when it was short, it didn't even need that.

Does your hair feel dry to the touch after washing, does it feel nice and elastic? If it doesn't feel like it lacks moisture, then it probably doesn't. That might mean it doesn't need something to help lock in moisture after washing, so you might not need the leave-in conditioner. :)

I think it could be best to follow your current routine that already works for you, and then add one suggestion/modification at a time, and see if that works for you personally.

May 12th, 2020, 06:37 AM

Wash
Rinse out conditioner
Gel to lock in curls

What are your hair concerns right now? Do you need more curl definition?

Yeah, my hair would puke this out, heh. I don't get it, why two conditioners? Two stylers? Why not one. Even in CG book it said to not rinse out conditioner fully, then why two conditioners, I don't understand.

It's curly and OILYYYYY, oh well. Falling out as well.

When it's long it's either extremely oily (like heavy oiling, but all with sebum) or extremely dry (like I got struck by lightning), never normal. Never looks line actual hair. When it's short it's looking sleek and normal and shiny, but gets oily fast.

Apparently people with exclusively dry hair don't understand *shrugs*.

ynne
May 13th, 2020, 03:40 AM
Yeah, my hair would puke this out, heh. I don't get it, why two conditioners? Two stylers? Why not one. Even in CG book it said to not rinse out conditioner fully, then why two conditioners, I don't understand.

It's curly and OILYYYYY, oh well. Falling out as well.

When it's long it's either extremely oily (like heavy oiling, but all with sebum) or extremely dry (like I got struck by lightning), never normal. Never looks line actual hair. When it's short it's looking sleek and normal and shiny, but gets oily fast.

Apparently people with exclusively dry hair don't understand *shrugs*.
If your hair can't tolerate it, then you don't have to use it; again, treat it as suggestions, not hard rules. This is getting a bit repetitive... There are two conditioners because each one has a different purpose. Some people prefer different conditioners for each purpose, some people use the same one. For example, if you use a heavier conditioner in the shower but you can't tolerate it as a leave-in, you can use a lighter one as a leave-in. If you use the same one, you can apply it all at once, or you can apply it twice, it's not just about the products, the method of applying matters too, you can try both.

CG book is a starting point for many people, but not necessarily the ending point. You can try following the rules for a while and see if it works for you. There are simplified guides for starting with CGM, if that's what you're looking for.

Each styler does something else, which is specifically written there in the quote you replied to so I don't know how else to explain it? Some products enhance the curl, some "only" help it hold its shape and definition. That's why, for bouncy defined curls, some people layer these products. You don't have to, but you can.

If your hair gets oily fast, you need to wash it more often but protect the lengths from drying out, it is actually fairly common to have hair oily near the roots and dry at the lengths. There was a thread just like that recently. It's not really that people "don't understand" or that this doesn't happen to anyone else. :/ It's just that you're at the beginning of figuring out what works to make it cooperate, so it's going to take some trial and error to figure out what works for you personally, and still gets you the result you are looking for.