PDA

View Full Version : How dry can the weather get before sugars start to work against you?

Miss Thyme
April 28th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Hey all. I was going to use a conditioner with protein in it to see how my dry hair reacts to the protein; however I just had a look at the bottle and saw that there is sugar in it. We've been having a dry spell in my country lately, so now I'm wondering if the sugar, being hydroscopic, will be a risky ingredient for my hair...

We're still hovering at about 50% moisture locally, and while I'm guessing the warnings about hydroscopic ingredients and dry weather are more aimed at desert-like conditions, I just felt like checking with the LHC before taking any risks.

So as the title says, how dry can the weather get before sugars start to work against you?

AutobotsAttack
April 28th, 2020, 12:19 PM
I can guarantee the sugar formulated in that conditioner is not at a high enough concentration to do much of anything to your hair. Things like glycerin, or cones will react much more to humidity, or lacktherof, concerning the environment you live in. If you’re experiencing dryness or crunch, it’s more to do with the fact that the conditioner is mostly protein based.

lapushka
April 28th, 2020, 02:30 PM
What conditioner is it? Brand/product?

Miss Thyme
April 29th, 2020, 08:56 AM
It's the Garnier Fructis Strength and Shine conditioner. There are some sugary ingredients pretty close to the top.

Our dry spell has just ended, but I'm still curious about when you actually have to be careful about sugar :)

lapushka
April 29th, 2020, 09:16 AM
It's the Garnier Fructis Strength and Shine conditioner. There are some sugary ingredients pretty close to the top.

Our dry spell has just ended, but I'm still curious about when you actually have to be careful about sugar :)

Great to know, thank you.

I have never heard of "issues" with this conditioner. I think it would be fine to use. But truth is, I don't really *know* anything about sugars in ingredients' lists and how they affect the hair.

Ylva
April 29th, 2020, 09:24 AM

If I'm not mistaken, you're from a Nordic country. Personally, I've never in my life encountered a dry spell that would have required me to adjust my haircare routine - not even last summer when we had a month and a half of drought and heat.

Miss Thyme
April 29th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I think we're pretty humid even at our driest. Maybe I should just file the warnings about sugar and honey under knowledge for if I ever go on vacation again :p

HaMalka
April 29th, 2020, 11:09 AM
50% relative humidity is considered a fairly standard and comfortable humidity level. There should be no problems what so ever with hair at this relative humidity unless it is really really cold so the absolute humidity is very low in spite of a good relative humidity. relative humidity is generally not worried over in terms of it being to dry until it is below 20 or 30% which is probably very unlikely where you live if 50% seems dry to you.

Miss Thyme
April 29th, 2020, 01:05 PM
50% relative humidity is considered a fairly standard and comfortable humidity level. There should be no problems what so ever with hair at this relative humidity unless it is really really cold so the absolute humidity is very low in spite of a good relative humidity. relative humidity is generally not worried over in terms of it being to dry until it is below 20 or 30% which is probably very unlikely where you live if 50% seems dry to you.

Thanks for the numbers :) I wouldn't necessarily say that the air has been dry dry, but we've gone an unusually long time without rain and the ground and plants are dry enough that the government issued warnings about being extra careful with fire (grilling, burning weeds etc.).

MidnightMoon
April 29th, 2020, 02:35 PM
I have never even noticed sugar in hair products, to be honest. I csn't imagine they wouldn't test that before launching a product, specially a multi billion company that sells products everywhere.
I hear you on it being dry here... thankfully we'll be having a couple grey days now, but had over a month without a single drop where I am, which is pretty bad. I guess it helped that it wasn't summer yet, but still, the ground is like a desert :/

MusicalSpoons
April 29th, 2020, 03:32 PM
When you say sugars, what ingredients exactly do you mean?

HaMalka
April 29th, 2020, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the numbers :) I wouldn't necessarily say that the air has been dry dry, but we've gone an unusually long time without rain and the ground and plants are dry enough that the government issued warnings about being extra careful with fire (grilling, burning weeds etc.).

You are welcome. :)

Miss Thyme
May 4th, 2020, 05:12 AM
When you say sugars, what ingredients exactly do you mean?

It was mainly hydroxyethylcellulose that I was concerned about, based on the -ose ending. I've just googled it and I see that it is a thickening agent, so while it may be a carbohydrate it is probably nothing to worry about.
The other potential one was sugar cane extract, which may or may not contain any actual sugar :shrug:

Sorry for taking so long, I've been busy the past few days :) (Maybe next time I'll actually google the actual ingredients that I might be worried about before posting ;) )

MusicalSpoons
May 4th, 2020, 06:38 AM
It was mainly hydroxyethylcellulose that I was concerned about, based on the -ose ending. I've just googled it and I see that it is a thickening agent, so while it may be a carbohydrate it is probably nothing to worry about.
The other potential one was sugar cane extract, which may or may not contain any actual sugar :shrug:

Sorry for taking so long, I've been busy the past few days :) (Maybe next time I'll actually google the actual ingredients that I might be worried about before posting ;) )

Ah no worries! Thanks for replying regardless of time frame - and it's always interesting to discuss ingredients, especially the less-commonly discussed ones :grin:

truepeacenik
May 4th, 2020, 01:29 PM
It’s 36 percent humidity in Denver today. Sugars aren’t problematic until you get heavy on honey. Honey will give moisture back.