PDA

View Full Version : What I’ve learned since shaving my head and how it’s made me a happier person

Beckstar
April 26th, 2020, 03:30 PM
I can no longer hide behind my hair like a curtain. I used to pull it over my face in public when I felt anxious and now I have to face things head-on. I’ve learned to be comfortable with myself as is and that my hair doesn’t define me. I feel sassy and sexy and it has nothing to do with my hair… It’s just me. I’ve also learned to love my gray and silver hair and I don’t feel the need to color it. Now I can grow my hair out and I believe really truly enjoy it because it doesn’t define who I am. It’s a part of me but it’s not the only thing that is me. 😊

ETA: I know most people here won’t think so but seems like majority of the world thinks that when you shave your head it’s a sign of some type of mental illness, you’re trying to get attention and so on. Nope sometimes it’s just a sign that you’re ready for a big change and you’re going for it.

hennalonghair
April 26th, 2020, 03:36 PM
That’s fabulous.
A lesson well worth learning. :joy:

Sarahlabyrinth
April 26th, 2020, 04:09 PM
That's wonderful news - looking forward to sharing your new growing journey :D

embee
April 26th, 2020, 04:26 PM
Wow, that's a big step. I'm glad it is working for you. Happy growing! :)

curly girl fla
April 26th, 2020, 06:05 PM
Congratulations on knowing what you needed to do for you and following through. Enjoy your new hair journey on your terms. I think you are brave-my hair is by no means long, but the color and texture have always defined me to others. I don't think I have your guts or strength to start with a clean slate.

Kalamazoo
April 26th, 2020, 06:09 PM
That's WONDERFUL! :cheese: :happydance: :gobblecheese:

Laurab
April 26th, 2020, 07:14 PM
Love this!
Sounds like you're really embracing your natural beauty. I'm sure it's a relief to know that you're growing your hair out for you because you want to, not because you feel you need it.
Thanks for the reminder of what's really important, and that's self love.

cjk
April 26th, 2020, 07:31 PM
It was probably easier for me than for you, but freeing is an extremely good word. Liberating.

So happy for you. I actually do understand!

Ylva
April 27th, 2020, 01:56 AM
That's awesome! :)

DropStitches
April 27th, 2020, 05:42 AM
I can no longer hide behind my hair like a curtain. I used to pull it over my face in public when I felt anxious and now I have to face things head-on. I’ve learned to be comfortable with myself as is and that my hair doesn’t define me. I feel sassy and sexy and it has nothing to do with my hair… It’s just me. I’ve also learned to love my gray and silver hair and I don’t feel the need to color it. Now I can grow my hair out and I believe really truly enjoy it because it doesn’t define who I am. It’s a part of me but it’s not the only thing that is me. ��

I love this! Congratulations, Beckstar! I've shaved off long-ish hair twice - the first time I kept it a pixie length for a while then grew it out, and the second time (last year) I kept it buzzed for the best part of the year. I absolutely love buzzed hair... here are my top four favourite things about it:

1) It's such a good look! Fierce and feminine, it really highlights the eyes. (Sinead O'Connor circa 1992 has always been a style icon for me!)

2) It's so easy to maintain! Without having to go near a hairdresser

3) It feels as soft as a little baby seal!

4) It makes you realise, as you say, that hair doesn't define you.

... maybe the Long Hair Community is not the most appropriate place to write a love letter to the buzzcut - but you've inspired me! I'm currently at a very awkward stage between pixie and bob, and I'm missing feeling in control of my hair, as well as the tailored purity of how it looks when it's buzzed. (For your grow out, by the way if you do ever decide to grow it out, I know from previous experience that it is possible to avoid this awkward stage, but only if you have access to a hairdresser, which of course during these weird times, I do not!)

ETA: I know most people here won’t think so but seems like majority of the world thinks that when you shave your head it’s a sign of some type of mental illness, you’re trying to get attention and so on. Nope sometimes it’s just a sign that you’re ready for a big change and you’re going for it.

This is so true. I think shaving your head is one of the few stylistic choice people feel entitled to ask, 'why did you do that??' about - no one would be rude enough to ask, 'why did you buy that coat??' or 'why did you think those shoes would be a good idea?'. I think maybe they expect a big dramatic story, whereas for me, it was quite a personal decision, and not one I necessarily wanted to discuss with strangers.

Iyashikei
April 27th, 2020, 06:29 AM
Congratulations! Sometimes shaving everything off is exactly what you need to do.

_fred_
April 27th, 2020, 08:10 AM
I can no longer hide behind my hair like a curtain. I used to pull it over my face in public when I felt anxious and now I have to face things head-on. I’ve learned to be comfortable with myself as is and that my hair doesn’t define me. I feel sassy and sexy and it has nothing to do with my hair… It’s just me. I’ve also learned to love my gray and silver hair and I don’t feel the need to color it. Now I can grow my hair out and I believe really truly enjoy it because it doesn’t define who I am. It’s a part of me but it’s not the only thing that is me. 😊

What a lovely post, thank you for sharing this :blossom:

Wendyclaire
April 27th, 2020, 02:37 PM
Please see a physician about your anxiety. It’s not pleasant to deal with and medication can help a lot..shaving your head is a very drastic (and short term) solution to anxiety attacks. Please seek help.

Beckstar
April 27th, 2020, 10:55 PM
Please see a physician about your anxiety. It’s not pleasant to deal with and medication can help a lot..shaving your head is a very drastic (and short term) solution to anxiety attacks. Please seek help.
I’m good no anxiety attacks or panic. I shaved my head last summer to go 100% natural and get rid of my dyed hair. I’m embracing my greys, I’ve already seen a professional and I’m good medicine free. What I’ve learned and experienced has been an unexpected good side effect.

ynne
April 28th, 2020, 10:57 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience, this is such a positive message. :) I felt similar (it was more of a pixie) back then, it was like a breath of fresh air. To me, it feels good to know that if I get tired of my hair at any point, I can return to it and kind of "start over".

I know you meant it well, but I feel like this might unintentionally play into the stereotype that there must be something "wrong" with a person wanting a "drastic" change, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. :( Why is it even considered drastic, as if it were bad? It can be a big change, perhaps. I do fully agree with you that if one needs it, seeking help is important, of course. :) But on that note, if someone does change their hairstyle purely for their mental well-being, I don't see why that would be a bad thing. It doesn't have to go against other, additional helpful measures!

Laurab
April 28th, 2020, 12:19 PM
I feel like this might unintentionally play into the stereotype that there must be something "wrong" with a person wanting a "drastic" change, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. :( Why is it even considered drastic, as if it were bad?

Right!
After I got my pixie cut I always had people asking why I cut my hair. I would always just respond "Because I felt like it?"
I didn't have any deep reason for them, I just wanted something different, and I felt like it would suit me. I've personally never been that attached to my hair, and when looking at potential haircuts none of them felt like a big enough change until I started considering a pixie.

I think it's really good to confirm to yourself that you don't NEED your hair to be pretty, it's just a style choice. Just like I've gone through different phases with how I like to dress, I've gone through different phases for how I want my hair.

I will say my brother's girlfriend has shaved her hair out of stress before. But she does take good care of her mental health and get professional health, and I don't think she regrets it. She also hasn't had hair longer than a pixie in like ten years. On the list of things to do when a person is feeling overwhelmed, changing your hair is a pretty common one, and it's basically harmless.
She's actually growing it out right now because she saw a picture of a braid and wanted to be able to do it, and I think that regrowth can be representative of how far you've come.

And then a friend of my aunt's shaved her head as like a "girl power" thing, she decided she didn't want to feel like she had to be traditionally femenine to love how she looks.

And there's that old stereotype about changing your hair drastically after a bad break-up. I've heard plenty of stories of women cutting their hair after leaving a controling boyfriend who wouldn't "let" them.

Oh! And then there's women, particuarly those with hair in the type C range, who have gone years getting their hair chemically relaxed, and doing a "Big chop" is a way of starting fresh and embracing your hairs natural texture. A girl in my highschool once came in wearing a crown for her hair's two year annaversary, it was really cute. One of my teachers also shaved her hair off that year. I had her for about three years, she was a black woman who was very proud of her heratige, her father was actually a civil rights leader in our area. I'm fairly certain shaving her head related to this, black women are unfortunately taught their natural hair isn't acceptable for no good reason, so something as simple as choosing to grow out your own hair can be a big deal, in a positive way.

It's always appreciated when someone is genuinely concerned and wants to make sure you're ok, but big changes can certainly be a good thing.

0xalis
April 28th, 2020, 03:57 PM
Amen! I am also growing out a buzz cut and I had the same experience, I actually kept it shaved for several months before deciding I needed new clippers and then never getting them!
I found it to be incredibly liberating, and I got way more compliments than I ever would have expected.

I'm growing again because I just really love long hair and it's been an eternity since it's even been past shoulder length! Feels long now at chin for me because it's been super-short for two years straight!

shutterpillar
April 28th, 2020, 07:24 PM
Congratulations! I shaved my head in 2015 (or 2016?) and it was the most free and feminine I've ever felt in my life. I can relate to everything you said, even down to shaving it because I wanted to cut out my dye and grow from scratch.
You're making me miss those days. It sure was a lot less maintenance! lol.

Beckstar
April 29th, 2020, 07:45 PM
It’s growing out very nicely, I should have a really nice bob in several months.

https://i.postimg.cc/YjM6tjmG/266-CF1-EA-DDDC-4465-A258-1312-DD753-CA2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/YjM6tjmG)