PDA

View Full Version : Curlies, I need help

Obsidian
April 26th, 2020, 11:05 AM
How in the world do you deal with tangles in wet hair without messing up your curls?

After I wash, I wrap my hair in a towel or plop in a shirt and when I take it down, its a big tangled mess that absolutely has to be brushed out. My curls are delicate and there is no way for me to scrunch them back in after brushing. I end up being more frizzy then curly.

The only way I've got decent curls is to detangle in the shower then just let my hair drip dry which I hate. There has to be something that will at least help reduce the frizz some.

hennalonghair
April 26th, 2020, 11:25 AM
My hair is 2c, 3a and is fairly coarse so knots and tangles are second nature to it.

My wash routine is to wet my hair and condition it below my ears all the way down to the ends. Then I just wash my scalp with shampoo. I rinse, then condition my ends only . Rinse and then use an ACV rinse. 2 to 3 tbsps to a litre of water.

I comb my hair out with a tangle teaser or wide tooth comb then wrap it up in an old t shirt until most of the water is out then I let it dry on it’s own. If I put my hair up or braid it while wet it won’t dry at all.

Wash day is the only day I wear my hair down. My hair gets brushed every night before bed and every morning but I use a MP brush so it doesn’t frizz. Then I braid it back or braid it up into a bun for the day. Most of My hairstyles are braids as I find they reduce the amount of knots and tangles. I then wet my hands and add a dollop of conditioner and run it through my ends so they re-curl.

I don’t spend too much time messing around with knots and tangles. I’ve got better things to do with my time.

lapushka
April 26th, 2020, 11:31 AM
My hair is your texture, and it helps to gain a little bit of length. If it's shorter, poof is real when you brush (been there, especially a grown out pixie is terribly hard).

What I do and have always done, is towel dry, then detangle. Then scrunch my stylers in, and the fact that I scrunch and it's a styler helps hugely.

Maybe something lightweight like a curling mousse will help you out. I hear the Not Your Mother's curl talk mousse is divine!

Arciela
April 26th, 2020, 12:11 PM
What I do is comb my hair with a wide tooth comb, finger comb or use the TT.

Since I am between BSL and waist, my hair will still get quite poofy (Ugh, TBL can't come fast enough!) so I wet my hands a lot and then wet my length with the water, and scrunch it back again. Sometimes I have to get it quite wet for this to work...but I mostly do it on the last 3-4 inches or so of my hair. Sometimes I like to add a tiny, tiny bit of oil on the ends after, and it ends up being okay looking I guess.

When my hair was shorter though I found no real solution besides washing it, which is a PITA.

Obsidian
April 26th, 2020, 12:29 PM
Yeah, my hair is just brushing shoulder and nothing really seems to help. Scrunching with water or product helps bring back the tightest curls but they won't clump so goes poofy.

I've not found any product that doesn't make my fine hair limp, even aloe gel right from the plant makes my hair look greasy.

Between the poof, the slow growth and the thinning. Its frustrating and really tempting to give up on growing. I just don't know if its worth it.

Kake
April 26th, 2020, 12:32 PM
Could the plopping be helping to cause the tangles?

I think I'm just about ready to give up on my fine curly hair. I honestly don't think it will ever be even OK.

Lanalavallama
April 26th, 2020, 12:48 PM
Bringing the curls up and over the head when drying could be the main contributor.

Try disturbing the curls as little as possible by plopping without lifting your hair up and over. I remember curlies using old t-shirts for this purpose, although who it was that did it escapes me. The 'collar' of the t-shirt would be at the hairline, and the hair would hang inside the t-shirt.

So, while the hair is hanging down and drip drying, plop with whatever it is you use and maybe gently squeeze to get rid of most of the water.

I hope this, or some other method, helps.

Obsidian
April 26th, 2020, 12:51 PM
Plopping definitely makes it worse. My big issue is getting perfectly detangled sopping wet hair partially dried without it just turning into a big mess when wrapped in a towel.

I know its wrapping it up that is making it messy but how else do you get out the water?
If it was long enough to put in a ponytail, I wouldn't worry about the poof but its growing so slow the last couple years.

wo
April 26th, 2020, 01:11 PM
Plopping definitely makes it worse. My big issue is getting perfectly detangled sopping wet hair partially dried without it just turning into a big mess when wrapped in a towel.

I know its wrapping it up that is making it messy but how else do you get out the water?
If it was long enough to put in a ponytail, I wouldn't worry about the poof but its growing so slow the last couple years.

You can just scrunch with a tshirt over your hand and not plop. That's what I've done for years because I don't like the whole plopping process or the results for my hair. That will get the extra water out just fine.

hennalonghair
April 26th, 2020, 02:47 PM
What I do is comb my hair with a wide tooth comb, finger comb or use the TT.

Since I am between BSL and waist, my hair will still get quite poofy (Ugh, TBL can't come fast enough!) so I wet my hands a lot and then wet my length with the water, and scrunch it back again. Sometimes I have to get it quite wet for this to work...but I mostly do it on the last 3-4 inches or so of my hair. Sometimes I like to add a tiny, tiny bit of oil on the ends after, and it ends up being okay looking I guess.

When my hair was shorter though I found no real solution besides washing it, which is a PITA.
Someone else who does this. I’ve only just discovered this the past 7 or so years. Your hair looks at lot like mine. Mines a tad curlier but your approach is almost identical. Very cool. I agree about the length helping a lot.

lapushka
April 26th, 2020, 04:09 PM
Yeah, my hair is just brushing shoulder and nothing really seems to help. Scrunching with water or product helps bring back the tightest curls but they won't clump so goes poofy.

I've not found any product that doesn't make my fine hair limp, even aloe gel right from the plant makes my hair look greasy.

Between the poof, the slow growth and the thinning. Its frustrating and really tempting to give up on growing. I just don't know if its worth it.

Trust me, it gets better, also a good styler is worth its weight in gold!

Obsidian
April 26th, 2020, 04:27 PM
I wish I could find a good styler. Everything seems to have oils or cones, both weigh my hair down terrible plus I hate using products due to build up.

I'm really hating on my hair the last couple weeks. Good thing the salons are closed.or I would have chopped today. I did shorten my bangs, at least I have some shape now.

I'm just tired of not liking my hair. In 48 years the only time I was happy with it was when I used henna. Thats also the only time I grew past shoulder.

hennalonghair
April 26th, 2020, 05:21 PM
Quidad Curl Quencher is silicone free and is curl friendly.
I use their entire line of products , just not all together since it’s makes my hair ‘too’ curly.

spidermom
April 27th, 2020, 07:25 AM
I also get the best wavy-curly result from detangling in the shower and allowing to drip-dry. It's not a convenient method, though. If you had a bonnet dryer, you could do the same but under a dryer. I've got the kind with a draw-string; it puffs up really big once I put it on and start the dryer. That worked pretty well for shoulder length. I haven't tried it since my hair has been about APL. It's nearly waist length now.

You're at an awkward length for hair with a lot of texture. It's definitely worth growing past that. So many styling options become available around BSL-waist.

lapushka
April 27th, 2020, 09:03 AM
Definitely, hang in there for some length, Obsidian. It is going to be worth it, I promise you.

Obsidian
April 27th, 2020, 09:14 AM
Thanks ladies. I'll just deal with the fluff for now and hope it gets better.

lapushka
April 27th, 2020, 09:56 AM
Thanks ladies. I'll just deal with the fluff for now and hope it gets better.

:thumbsup: Awesome!

ynne
April 28th, 2020, 03:37 AM
I didn't have the energy to read the whole thread, I'll just share my experience with air drying and curls that can't handle disturbing as they dry. I never plop – I tried it, it doesn't work for me, it doesn't tangle but it ruins the pattern. My routine is still a work in progress and I already had to make adjustments (around chin length and shoulder length), but at the moment, I usually do something like this:

I thoroughly detangle my hair when I'm done washing it, that gets rid of some water. I gently squeeze out excess water before and as I scrunch products in (LOC-inspired, in my case). Then I put a soft towel or a huge cotton t-shirt over my shoulders, and carefully arrange my hair as it's supposed to be (otherwise the curls will be full of weird angles and bends). Sometimes, just kind of flipping the hair to sides and back is enough so it "sits" as it's meant to dry and doesn't create new tangles, but it helps that the products give it lots of slip. No combing after that.

When I'm done with all of this, it usually doesn't drip much water anymore. :) It takes a long time to fully dry so I time it accordingly.

I never tried diffusing (though I would like to) so I can't compare the two.

lapushka
April 28th, 2020, 04:31 AM
I never tried diffusing (though I would like to) so I can't compare the two.

I have to say, depending on how you do it, and when you do get a little bit of "fuzz" at some pieces. That is why I airdry for 2-4H before actually diffusing. By then it has half-dried for me, and it takes me about 5 minutes for my roots to get fully dry and my lengths damp'ish.

If you start diffusing when it's totally wet, that is a no-go. I have tried that and you might as well have run a brush through it then. :justy:

April 28th, 2020, 08:52 AM
How in the world do you deal with tangles in wet hair without messing up your curls?

After I wash, I wrap my hair in a towel or plop in a shirt and when I take it down, its a big tangled mess that absolutely has to be brushed out. My curls are delicate and there is no way for me to scrunch them back in after brushing. I end up being more frizzy then curly.

The only way I've got decent curls is to detangle in the shower then just let my hair drip dry which I hate. There has to be something that will at least help reduce the frizz some.

I don't. My hair locs while it curls into it's full 3c curl. So I wear it straight or wavy and eventually I just cut everything off :(. Like, it forms little tangle balls instead of curls in some places.

Good luck, wish I could help -_-

April 28th, 2020, 08:57 AM

Oh yeah, that. Thick but fine, combo (as in either crazy dry or crazy oily) hair here. I just bought a conditioner/mask thing. I'm scared ****less it'll make my hair super oily. Yeah. All the advice is only for super-dry hair, can't figure out what I can use without looking like an oil sleek.

April 28th, 2020, 09:04 AM
I wish I could find a good styler. Everything seems to have oils or cones, both weigh my hair down terrible plus I hate using products due to build up.

I'm really hating on my hair the last couple weeks. Good thing the salons are closed.or I would have chopped today. I did shorten my bangs, at least I have some shape now.

I'm just tired of not liking my hair. In 48 years the only time I was happy with it was when I used henna. Thats also the only time I grew past shoulder.

Ahhh, sorry I added post under post under post... But this is so relevant. 30 and still literally afraid of my hair. Hate feeling product in my hair too, feels dirty. That condish has cones and shea butter, I'm thinking my hair will just puke this out... To the bathroom I go, heh.

...want my hair trimmer? xD

At least my mom's feeling better about her hair, she bought some regular dye from the store and stopped complaining about grays and how long it takes to two step henndigo. That plus coffee rinses and she has super thick black hair, fair enough xD.

Obsidian
April 28th, 2020, 11:03 AM
Believe it or not, petroleum produces are one thing I can use without making my hair feel or look dirty.

I like vo5 hairdressing but I recently got a big tub of blue magic coconut oil. Its basically vaseline with some coconut oil and a few other things, smells wonderful.
Just a little dab helps cut down the fluff a whole lot. I forgot I even had it until I went through my stash yesterday.

hennalonghair
April 29th, 2020, 02:09 PM
There’s a great shampoo and conditioner for curly hairs by ANDALOU Naturals. It’s called Exotic Marula Oil for waves to ringlets.
It’s all natural with no SLS , silicones, or artificial anything. It’s a bit pricey but worth every penny. I paid a bit less than $14 Canadian for 11.5 ounces or 340 mL. The conditioner is especially great for hydrating and recurling my ends. They stay soft and fresh.

April 30th, 2020, 02:28 AM
Believe it or not, petroleum produces are one thing I can use without making my hair feel or look dirty.

I like vo5 hairdressing but I recently got a big tub of blue magic coconut oil. Its basically vaseline with some coconut oil and a few other things, smells wonderful.
Just a little dab helps cut down the fluff a whole lot. I forgot I even had it until I went through my stash yesterday.

So interesting. I did try vaseline on my hair. Still oily, hahahah. BUT, it never leaves oily residue on pillows, etc, unlike oils.

ynne
April 30th, 2020, 03:24 AM
So interesting. I did try vaseline on my hair. Still oily, hahahah. BUT, it never leaves oily residue on pillows, etc, unlike oils.

You might have more success with rinse out oils (before shampooing, for example), using silicone based products for locking in moisture instead (some people hate them, but for some people, they work really really well, you just have to wash them out regularly), or using a smaller amount. It also makes a difference whether you apply it on wet, damp or completely dry hair.
Don't give up. :)

kurlywurlygurl
April 30th, 2020, 05:40 PM
Hey there, are you CG? What's your normal routine?

I'm someone who can survive plopping without frizz but I think squish to condish method could be your best friend.

If you are sure to not wash all the conditioner out when COing then adding a bit more or a leave in (if you use one), add an oil or oil rinse like @ynne mentioned. I think you should look into oils like grapeseed, sunflower, or hemp so they create a good layer over your hair to help your glide so it doesn't frizz up. Using a cream styler can really help or a gel over your leave in. The idea is once it sets even if you scrunch it in after combing your hair with a good bit of conditioner, your hair is in a hydrated state absorbing moisture that is held in by the oil and thus evaporating much slowly.

With squish to condish, you flip your head over after you have washed out a good bit of the conditioner. If you're going to use a brush to distribute leave in and/or product into your hair first (as you would normally layer products in your routine). You'd then scrunch and plop but not in the traditionally dripping hair kind of way especially if you go about your business in the shower after you've done your hair. However, if you're worried about tangles forming when your flipping over, I'd recommend you make sure your hair is amply conditioned and you squeeze it between your hands and can here the sloshy seaweed sound 'squish to condish' until you're satisfied with your hair just tilted to either side so minimal tangles/frizz would form as you scrunch a bit. You can air dry but also diffuse in an upright position. I find using oils can really change this. It sounds like you're not afraid of thicker products though and butters can work very similarly. Not everyone on LOC does tradition CG routines in the sense that they really wear their hair up quite often so curl definition minus frizz can be nice. Gel doesn't have to leave you hair crunchy if done to prevent it in your routine. But I'd argue butters and oils can work really well as your hair gets put up during the week in updos making it more flexible (no pun intended lol) depending on how you care for your hair!

Obsidian
April 30th, 2020, 06:08 PM
No, I'm not CG and with my SD, I can't leave conditioner in or use much if any. I wash every 1-2 days, about half of the time I use a little conditioner and rinse it out as much as possible. I use a coney anti frizz serum or maybe a little coney leave in cream and I mean a little. One, maybe two drop or my hair will go flat and greasy.

Maybe if I my hair ever gets long enough that conditioner won't migrate to my scalp, I can try squish to condish again. Last time it made sore erupt on my scalp. Oils ca cause the same kinds of issues so I very rarely oil.

kurlywurlygurl
April 30th, 2020, 06:45 PM
Have you ever tried curl keeper? It's interesting because it's CG but works kind of like a serum where it mimics the state of your hair when its wet and reactivates with water. I wonder if it's something you'd enjoy it! You could always apply it from the ear's down if you're worried about your scalp to start out?

https://www.frizzoff.com/products/curl-keeper-original

May 1st, 2020, 01:00 PM
Don't give up. :)

Wow, thank you.

For me the biggest issue is I'm so sick I can't use anything other than soapnuts, egg yolk washes and baby shampoo. And as curly gal I'm supposed to use all these conditioners, yet I have reactions to everything. On top of that, paradoxically, my hair is in good enough condition (that's a good thing) that when I use anything it just makes it oily. I need tips for oily curly hair, lol, everyone assumes curly hair is dry.

I don't know, maybe I shouldn't use anything, just baby shampoo, wear scarves and finger comb and just let it grow out... Maybe I shouldn't be doing all these other things and products. But then, I do have a bald path, maybe it is due to me not using any conditioner, I don't know. Even straight haired people use shampoo AND conditioner, not just shampoo.

May 1st, 2020, 01:03 PM
No, I'm not CG and with my SD, I can't leave conditioner in or use much if any. I wash every 1-2 days, about half of the time I use a little conditioner and rinse it out as much as possible. I use a coney anti frizz serum or maybe a little coney leave in cream and I mean a little. One, maybe two drop or my hair will go flat and greasy.

Maybe if I my hair ever gets long enough that conditioner won't migrate to my scalp, I can try squish to condish again. Last time it made sore erupt on my scalp. Oils ca cause the same kinds of issues so I very rarely oil.

That's so interesting... I used conditioner two days ago and got these, like, bumps on my scalp?

Obsidian
May 1st, 2020, 01:55 PM
I do get bumps sometimes, other times its just scabby sores. It all itches though, regardless of what form the irritation takes. I can usually tell within a few hours of conditioning if its going to cause trouble and as soon as I get itchy, I have to wash.

If your hair does ok without conditioner, then by all means don't use it. My mom has waist length, straight, spider web fine hair and she rarely uses conditioner.

I'd rather skip rinse out conditioner and use a leave in instead. That way I can keep it off my scalp and on the ends where I need it. My roots tend to be oily.

If my hair wasn't bleached, I wouldn't need conditioner at all. I just hennaed yesterday, first time in two years. I'm hoping it strengthen my hair enough I can just give up conditioner.

May 2nd, 2020, 04:16 AM
Oh, henna is great, makes hair so shiny. I hope it'll work for you.

GRU
May 4th, 2020, 02:26 AM
I use regular cone-free conditioner as my leave-in (same one I co-wash with -- I don't use shampoo anymore).

While co-washing, I brush through with my Tangle Teezer brush, which really distributes the diluted conditioner and foams it up while detangling. After rinsing that out, I add a bit more conditioner throughout my hair for my leave-in, then flip my head down and brush that through again with the Tangle Teezer, which distributes my leave-in and also detangles whatever got tangled in the rinsing process.

While still bent forward at the waist, I squeeze out excess water from my detangled-and-conditioned hair, then I do what I call a "reverse plop" with a microfiber Turbie Twist Towel. Instead of putting the towel down and lowering my hair onto it, I put the Turbie's pocket under the ends of my hair and raise it up to my scalp (I'm still bent over at this point). This collects the coils in the pocket of the Turbie, and then I fasten it on my head like normal.

After fastening the Turbie, I dry off my body and get dressed, etc. When I remove the Turbie, my hair has already been detangled and it can air dry over the next few hours on its own (it's not dripping wet anymore).

I usually put my drying hair in a modified "half up" with a big clip to help get some lift at the roots and encourage curl at the top due to the weight of my length (I don't have layers anymore). This modified half-up also allows air to get to my scalp more easily, so it doesn't take ten whole hours to dry!

Lucyb
May 4th, 2020, 02:39 AM
I use regular cone-free conditioner as my leave-in (same one I co-wash with -- I don't use shampoo anymore).

While co-washing, I brush through with my Tangle Teezer brush, which really distributes the diluted conditioner and foams it up while detangling. After rinsing that out, I add a bit more conditioner throughout my hair for my leave-in, then flip my head down and brush that through again with the Tangle Teezer, which distributes my leave-in and also detangles whatever got tangled in the rinsing process.

While still bent forward at the waist, I squeeze out excess water from my detangled-and-conditioned hair, then I do what I call a "reverse plop" with a microfiber Turbie Twist Towel. Instead of putting the towel down and lowering my hair onto it, I put the Turbie's pocket under the ends of my hair and raise it up to my scalp (I'm still bent over at this point). This collects the coils in the pocket of the Turbie, and then I fasten it on my head like normal.

After fastening the Turbie, I dry off my body and get dressed, etc. When I remove the Turbie, my hair has already been detangled and it can air dry over the next few hours on its own (it's not dripping wet anymore).

I usually put my drying hair in a modified "half up" with a big clip to help get some lift at the roots and encourage curl at the top due to the weight of my length (I don't have layers anymore). This modified half-up also allows air to get to my scalp more easily, so it doesn't take ten whole hours to dry!

Sounds very similar to my routine! I've found though that the hair underneath and at the back (from around the nape of my neck to my ears, sometimes) can get quite tangled and "heavy". Have you ever had to deal with this?

ynne
May 4th, 2020, 03:18 AM
Would you be able to describe the "half up" more, please? I can't quite picture it, but it sounds like something my hair may benefit from once the undercut fully catches up.

Lucyb
May 4th, 2020, 04:16 PM
Yup, my hair is a mess again, on wash day. Again. Sigghh.

So at the moment I'm wetting my hair every other day. It's down to my mid-back, very very thick and wavy (2a/2b on top, but far curlier underneath).

I could probably go for longer between wets, but even with a satin pillowcase my hair is all over the place in the morning. My hair is so thick and (usually) frizzy that it's hard to pineapple and wraps/buffs/caps end up pressing into my giant head.

By the second day (let alone the third) my hair is a mess of fuzz, and with as much as I have it's easier to dunk my hair in the shower to reset the style. Then I might as well just brush it too, since it gets so tangled as I usually wear it loose. And then I might as well add some conditioner to reduce the breakage and... whoops, somehow both dry and tangled up and stuck together (even at the end of wash day!) underneath and near my ears.

The last one is especially frustrating. I mean, on the surface it looks fine, but it feels tangly and heavy underneath. I've cut out all stylers (mousse and gel), changed my conditioner, changed my prep style and the problem is *still* happening. In fact I think it's always happened and probably has something to do with my wash style, since the right side of my head is affected far more than my left.

Has anyone else had this problem? I wash right side up (mostly). Maybe I just need to use less conditioner, or really really *really* wash it all out.

GRU
May 4th, 2020, 04:19 PM
Sounds very similar to my routine! I've found though that the hair underneath and at the back (from around the nape of my neck to my ears, sometimes) can get quite tangled and "heavy". Have you ever had to deal with this?

Yes, when my hair is down, friction from rubbing against my neck and clothing will cause it to tangle at the nape. If I'm wearing it down, I have to periodically run my fingers through that area.

GRU
May 4th, 2020, 04:35 PM
Would you be able to describe the "half up" more, please? I can't quite picture it, but it sounds like something my hair may benefit from once the undercut fully catches up.

Let's see if I can describe it with words... if this doesn't make sense, lemme know and I'll try again.

You know how if you're going to just pull your hair back on the sides and clip or elastic it in the back, how you pull the hair straight behind your head? I do that same kind of sectioning, running horizontally across the top of my ears on each side, but instead of pulling the hair straight back, I gather each side loosely on top of my head and clip it with a butterfly clip.

The clip is mid-tress (sometimes I clip both sides together on top with one clip, sometimes I clip each side separately), so I end up with a bit of a "loop" of hair on each side. This allows the part of the curl closest to the root to not have to support the weight of the entire length, so it can hold the curl more easily without getting dragged out. The whole thing is kinda like a very loose pineapple effect, but only on the top half of my head.

And because the hair is lifted partway, it allows more air flow to the scalp, which helps with drying overall.

I guess the easiest way to describe it is if you made a half-up ponytail right on top of your head, only instead of using an elastic you use a claw/butterfly clip, and instead of fastening it tight on the scalp you put the clip a third or halfway down your length, and then clipped it to the top of your head..... all while using minimal manipulation to keep the curls together.

Does that help?

GRU
May 4th, 2020, 04:43 PM
Yup, my hair is a mess again, on wash day. Again. Sigghh.

Where are you at in the process of haircare? Do you use shampoo or heat (or have you in the past?).

It took me years to grow out all my old damage, and damaged hair is just more tangle-prone.

Also, have you tried leaving in oil and conditioner? My hair LOVES almond oil and grapeseed oil especially.... gives it a bit of slip and helps with tangles.

ynne
May 4th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Let's see if I can describe it with words... if this doesn't make sense, lemme know and I'll try again.

You know how if you're going to just pull your hair back on the sides and clip or elastic it in the back, how you pull the hair straight behind your head? I do that same kind of sectioning, running horizontally across the top of my ears on each side, but instead of pulling the hair straight back, I gather each side loosely on top of my head and clip it with a butterfly clip.

The clip is mid-tress (sometimes I clip both sides together on top with one clip, sometimes I clip each side separately), so I end up with a bit of a "loop" of hair on each side. This allows the part of the curl closest to the root to not have to support the weight of the entire length, so it can hold the curl more easily without getting dragged out. The whole thing is kinda like a very loose pineapple effect, but only on the top half of my head.

And because the hair is lifted partway, it allows more air flow to the scalp, which helps with drying overall.

I guess the easiest way to describe it is if you made a half-up ponytail right on top of your head, only instead of using an elastic you use a claw/butterfly clip, and instead of fastening it tight on the scalp you put the clip a third or halfway down your length, and then clipped it to the top of your head..... all while using minimal manipulation to keep the curls together.

Does that help?
Thank you, that does help a lot! I think I can imagine it. :) My first concern was what it does to the curl pattern at that mid-point where you clip it (and on the hair under, where it's clipped on), but maybe it has very wide tooth? I still need to find a clip that will not be too disruptive!

BerrySara
May 4th, 2020, 08:07 PM
You can just scrunch with a tshirt over your hand and not plop. That's what I've done for years because I don't like the whole plopping process or the results for my hair. That will get the extra water out just fine.

I second this. If you start with dripping wet hair and add conditioner or styler in (squish it in or use prayer hands) and then just gently scrunch with a micro fiber towel to get the worst of the water out, it helps to maintain the clumps and curls in tact.

Also, for me, the length has never been an issue with regards to definition and clumps. For me the biggest factor has been the health of my hair. When my hair was short (less than shoulder length and through to APL) and virgin, it was much more defined than at my current length because I dyed it. So I don't think its just about length, I think you just need to find a method that works for you to get clumped curls even at this length.

GRU
May 4th, 2020, 09:38 PM
Thank you, that does help a lot! I think I can imagine it. :) My first concern was what it does to the curl pattern at that mid-point where you clip it (and on the hair under, where it's clipped on), but maybe it has very wide tooth? I still need to find a clip that will not be too disruptive!

I use something along these lines (https://www.target.com/p/scunci-no-slip-octopus-jaw-clip-1ct/-/A-76524692) to clip it up.