PDA

View Full Version : Trim now?

Stardreamer
April 19th, 2020, 12:33 AM
My hair is in an abyss between APL and BSL. It's about 3 inches to BSL. I consider my hair to be long-ish now but it's at an awkward stage. I sometimes pull out a hair or two from my hairline if it gets tangled in the brush and it can be quite painful. I don't like it because I worry I might have traction alopecia from the tight, high buns I used to wear all the time. My hairline kind of worries me. My hair when curly is difficult-ish to brush and the ends of my hair are dry and kinda tangled. I spot split ends frequently and sometimes have a go at S&D-ing my hair.

Short hair doesn't really suit me, it makes me look boy-ish I guess, I like the look of long hair. My last trim was 5 months ago and I aim to trim every 6 months. I feel like my ends are in need of a trim. Plus I'm a little bored of my hair. I like practical hair, easy-to-manage hair. I have curly hair which is 3b/3c. Should I wait 1 month or do it now? Also I'm thinking layers might be good to take off some of the thickness... I'm planning to trim off 1/2 an inch.

Also, I noticed that there's a piece of hair at the front of my face which is a little shorter than the rest of the hair at the front of my face. I have no idea how it got that short because when I cut my bangs years ago I cut them evenly. I don't have bangs now, so all the hair should be even. That makes me worry that my hair could be ripped out or something the longer it gets. If you get what I mean. I'm worrying that my hair would be unable to be maintained at a long length because it might just be ripped out. :eek: I'm probably having irrational worries.

Lockdown must be driving me crazy or something... I like the look of my hair when it's straight because it makes me look older and more mature. But I prefer brushing out my curls. I discovered that leaving in conditioner helps my hair to feel nicer and be less tangled on Day 1 after I wash it. I dislike having my natural curly texture.

I'd like some advice and am I just so bored that I want to trim my hair? I want my hair to be healthy, though. I want to dye it blue sometime too and to be easy to manage.

lapushka
April 19th, 2020, 01:57 AM
Cutting out of sheer boredom is always a bad idea. Have you considered the 2-week rule?

No cutting out of boredom.
No impulse cuts.

That's one thing. If you say you stick to a once every 6 month schedule, then why not just follow that? And wait one more month. Not that that is going to do much, but it might change your perspective a bit as well.

Ylva
April 19th, 2020, 02:39 AM
Maybe you just need a different daily style. Perhaps something involving braids, like a Dutch crown braid?

Tinyponies
April 19th, 2020, 03:42 AM
Dear stardreamer,
Im reading quite a lot of conflicting things in your post, such as want long hair, but won’t accept natural texture. Want low maintenance hair, but thinking about cutting and dyeing it.
With that it sounds to me as if you’re getting bored/frustrated and focusing that on your hair. It’s a great step to feel you can come here and share your thoughts though, you don’t need to be alone in them. If you still want to grow your hair long you’re going to need to make peace with it.
Hopefully you can find a way to get your ends better moisturised /protected so that they don’t bother you. Kind wishes.

MusicalSpoons
April 19th, 2020, 04:35 AM
You absolutely do not have to worry about hair pulling itself out when it gets longer! If you want reassurance, head on over to the longer length threads (classic-knee, knee+, floor+) and you'll find that even wearing those lengths up daily has absolutely no detrimental effect on the members' hairlines ;)

I don't know if I can help with any of the other issues you raise but this idea of hair being ripped out due to length is definitely one you can ignore :)