PDA

View Full Version : 2a APL Hair Help

kinnyuu
April 15th, 2020, 02:53 PM
Hey folks,

I am approaching BSL about 3" or so to go. My hair is type 2a medium porosity high density, coarse.
I am struggling to find styles; I also have layers starting about ear length. I try to do buns but they just unwrap themselves. I am just trying to find a style I can wear that is protective and will get me through this grow out.
I've worn it down mostly and it does seem very healthy, but I am impatiently waiting for the day I can wear buns again.

Any style suggestions for shorter length with relatively kinda almost-thick hair? Ponytail is about 3.5"

CopperButterfly
April 15th, 2020, 03:59 PM
I could just barely do a disc bun around APL, so you could try that. A peacock twist is common for that length, though I've never been able to do one. The easiest is probably a basic cinnabun held by 3-4 small claw clips. French or Dutch braids would also work well.

lapushka
April 15th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Maybe try a peacock twist with a claw, flexi, or ficcare, this until you can do a bun.

0xalis
April 15th, 2020, 07:47 PM
I always do a twist-and-clip with a claw at APL. + Bobby pins or snap clips for the flighty layers. It's simple, easy, and it stays in.

florenonite
April 15th, 2020, 08:17 PM
Can you do a LWB? I'm a few inches above BSL and at a similar thickness (my full circumference is about 4" but I'm growing out an undershave) and that's my go-to bun.

draysmir
April 15th, 2020, 08:49 PM
I could just barely do a disc bun around APL, so you could try that. A peacock twist is common for that length, though I've never been able to do one. The easiest is probably a basic cinnabun held by 3-4 small claw clips. French or Dutch braids would also work well.

I managed to do double french/dutch braids when my hair was CBL, and my shorter layers were around ear length. Sometimes pieces would fall out, but overall it worked well for me. Once my layers were chin length, the braids stayed in well. I do not like the flickiness that comes with shorter 2a hair on me, so this was a go-to. :p

Firefox7275
April 16th, 2020, 04:07 AM
This is a great example of a Lazy Wrap Bun on thicker, shorter hair.
https://youtu.be/Pb-CDSW1euU

Alternatively you could do two Cinnabuns, one high one low.

Spin Pins can be more secure than a hairstick on slippy hair.