PDA

View Full Version : I FINALLY did it! cut the hair to ... I think waist?

akurah
April 14th, 2020, 08:59 PM
I used Spidermom's method. I don't know if i got it even, but my hair fancies itself wavy so it's possible I couldn't be sure about it being even unless it were wet. My hand is at my natural waist in this picture.

https://i.imgur.com/VZPmLRk.jpg?1

I'm probably going to go shorter when shelter-in-place is over, but to go any shorter I'd much rather have a professional do it. I'm amazed it came out as well as it did considering I've never done self-trimming before. I have a foot and a half long braid on my dresser now, and almost two feet total is gone.

It's so much less annoying now. It's actually really nice.

Iyashikei
April 14th, 2020, 09:09 PM
Looks really good. You have a talent for self-trimming.

Spikey
April 14th, 2020, 09:10 PM
How! Both your hair and the cut look fantastic. Looks like a very nice, blunt U shape to me, so even! And you have really thick ends...

LillyBlossom
April 14th, 2020, 09:24 PM
Wow, amazing, what a great cut, it looks phenomenal

I'm totally checking out spidermoms method

-Fern
April 14th, 2020, 09:29 PM
Your hair looks great!! :o

Dark40
April 14th, 2020, 09:30 PM
It looks really nice! :)
I would say to me, your hair looks between waist to hip length.

blackgothicdoll
April 14th, 2020, 09:42 PM
It looks so good!!

The Lizard Wife
April 14th, 2020, 09:45 PM
The cut looks gorgeous! Such a pretty hemline, to my eyes. And it's great that you're enjoying the new length!

Butterfly Blue
April 14th, 2020, 10:48 PM
Your hair and hemline look great!
Awesome job!

jane_marie
April 14th, 2020, 10:58 PM
Nice job it looks fabulous!

C_Bookworm
April 15th, 2020, 12:33 AM
It looks lovely!!! :thudpile:

And I love that you have such a long braid left as a souvenir. That’s super cool. Any fun plans for it? (Totally picturing a Victorian hair brooch or something, haha)

SleepyTangles
April 15th, 2020, 01:38 AM
You nailed it! :thumbsup:

Ylva
April 15th, 2020, 02:19 AM
Such a pretty and thick hemline! Very nice, soft shape, too. Enjoy your new length!

cestlavie
April 15th, 2020, 02:53 AM
You did a great job at self trimming it! I can almost 'feel' how soft and thick your ends must be because it certainly looks like that.

lapushka
April 15th, 2020, 03:34 AM
I don't know... :D It looks pretty good! And even too! I don't think you could have done a nicer job if you wanted to, akurah! And I don't think I've seen your hair before either. :hmm: Slap me silly if I'm wrong. :lol:

Awesome! :cheer:

I'm sure I don't have to ask, because it sounds as if you're glad you cut back a couple milestones. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 15th, 2020, 04:33 AM
That looks amazing, well done! :happydance:

hennalonghair
April 15th, 2020, 04:38 AM
Fabulous haircut.
That length looks great on you.
It’s so healthy.

CopperButterfly
April 15th, 2020, 08:26 AM
You did a great job. Your hemline looks perfect. Glad you're enjoying the new length. Waist is a very pretty and manageable length.

Bat
April 15th, 2020, 08:33 AM
I hope my hair looks that good at waist length! nice job, looks lovely

illicitlizard
April 15th, 2020, 09:03 AM
Amazing hair and a hell of a change by the sounds of it! Looks great, always envy people with the balls to self trim :P

MusicalSpoons
April 15th, 2020, 09:09 AM
Wow, you did an amazing job! :thud: your hemline looks perfect and it sounds like you're enjoying your new length :D

arprice
April 15th, 2020, 09:10 AM
Wow looks lovely!°

akurah
April 15th, 2020, 10:43 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words!

The uncertainty about waist is because it's pretty close to BSL too, but BSL and waist also aren't that far apart. I'm nowhere near hip length, my torso isn't that short, but I can see how it would look that way in the picture (that shirt is way too big, it's boyfriend's size).

It's crazy how night and day it is, and I forgot how thick my hair was because my taper started probably at around waist or hip back when it was knee length and it tapered to a pretty good fairytail--it's such that I'm wondering if my hair is back to a iii after the bald spots grew in (though last I checked, one bald spot seems to be interested in coming back). The taper was so much before that even after the cut my buns are still almost the same size (almost) as it was at knee.

The nice thing about this length is i can wear it down without it getting all up in my business and in the way. Wearing it down will hide the bald spots from my alopecia areata if/when they pop up again. I'm thinking about having the hairdresser take off another inch when I go in, but give them the hard and fast rule is "please keep the u-shape hemline it already has and also err on the side of under-cutting, because I'd rather take off too little than too much". I may also just leave it alone and not go to the hairdresser until it's a little past waist again. I think waist is the ideal length for me, I really hate my hair when it's much longer than that. I started getting annoyed with it at knee. It's unfortunate because I wanted to hit terminal at least once in my life, but the sheer stress it caused was not worth it (I really hated my hair at knee). I guess I could pretend knee is my terminal because I can't stand it at knee. :hmm: I've been knee twice, and this is the second time I've cut it back to waist at knee, so I'm positive knee is now just out of the question as a length for me.

I may at some point grow it out again to see if I like it longer, then when it starts to get annoying again, chop back by 2-3 inches and see if it's still annoying, and if it's not anymore, have that as my maintained length. I suspect hip is probably the sweet spot if I want it closer to ultra long.

I just need to fight the temptation to go back to henna. Henna is much more manageable for me at shorter length. But then again, since I'm finally at peace with having shorter hair, it may be no big deal if i go back to henna because if I get fed up with it, I would only need to grow it out to maybe shoulder or APL then cut off the henna. The tricky thing is I also want to go browner, but I also don't want indigo within 20 feet of my hair if I were to use henna. My hair is on the darker side, but it's definitely not as dark as that picture (lighting made it so), but the level of brown I would want in all lights is about the shade of that picture, maybe a touch lighter.

As for the braid souvenir, I'm probably going to set most of it aside for dye experimentation for the "I want to go browner" business. I may take some out to make a hair... rat? bump? thing you put under your hairline to make it puffier.

Again thank you all for the kind feedback.

bparnell75
April 15th, 2020, 10:51 AM
I agree with the others it is lovely. i BET YOU CAN STILL WEAR YOUR TOYS TOO.

DaveDecker
April 15th, 2020, 11:23 AM
You did an excellent job - and your hair looks great!

akurah
April 15th, 2020, 11:23 AM
I agree with the others it is lovely. i BET YOU CAN STILL WEAR YOUR TOYS TOO.

Of the toys I've tried, I can. I have an XXL flexi that I probably can't wear anymore though

AshtangiPNW
April 15th, 2020, 11:27 AM
The u-hem looks great! Love the length & natural hair color, too. Congrats on the new cut!

FrayedFire
April 15th, 2020, 12:57 PM
Looks a bit short to be waist, maybe in a few months, but it's nice and swooshy.

curly girl fla
April 15th, 2020, 01:57 PM
It looks beautiful! I don't think I saw your hair down before and had no idea how long it must have been to have that braid souvenir. Amazingly even and soft look.

lapushka
April 15th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Looks a bit short to be waist, maybe in a few months, but it's nice and swooshy.

To me it's waist. :)

MusicalSpoons
April 15th, 2020, 04:50 PM
To me it's waist. :)

Agreed. It's past where her hand marks it in the picture, definitely waist!

ynne
April 16th, 2020, 02:28 AM
It looks great! If you have a before and after shot, that'd be fun to see. :) It must feel refreshing with the 2 feet of difference. I think you're doing quite fine without professional cuts (they often take too much, anyways), seeing how great this turned out, and it only gets easier the more you do it.

Also, I know some people consider it a milestone only when the entire hemline reaches it, but it looks like solid waist to me, too.

lottiealice
April 17th, 2020, 04:11 AM
I'm so jealous! Your hair is beautiful and so thick - a great cut too, it looks like a lovely even U-shape to me!

lapushka
April 17th, 2020, 02:59 PM
Yes, you did a really *awesome* job, akurah. How is it getting used to it? Easier, harder where updos are concerned. Sometimes it takes a while until we can truly judge the cut. :)

poojasilk
April 18th, 2020, 07:46 AM
That’s my dream hem when my hair gets that long, great job it looks gorgeous!