PDA

View Full Version : Protective hairstyles for short hair

Nelisabet
April 13th, 2020, 08:25 AM
Hi! I'm sure this question has been asked before but i'm new here and starting again från chin length hair, i've invested in a silk pillow case but i want to be more careful of my hair during the day, any tips? :)

Ylva
April 13th, 2020, 08:29 AM
Just throwing it out there - is it possible to French or Dutch braid the sides at chin length? As in two braids per head?

cjk
April 13th, 2020, 08:39 AM
Oh yes, absolutely.

Entangled
April 13th, 2020, 08:41 AM
Definitely, though you’re probably going to have ends sticking out. It’s easier for me to do it on others.

Laurab
April 13th, 2020, 09:26 AM
My understanding is protective hairstyles aren't super needed for shorter hair. That's one of the benefits of it, fewer tangles and all that.
If you want to try some french braids go for it, but I know I wouldn't have been able to put mine in french braids at chin length, ha. I can barely do them at shoulder length here.
But if I were you, I just wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you've been having problems with breakage and lots of tangles in the mourning.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 13th, 2020, 09:28 AM
I think you are doing fine how you are, and it's good to have a silk pillowcase or a sleep cap. You likely don't need to learn anything much more until you reach shoulder length and your hair begins to rub on stuff.

cjk
April 13th, 2020, 10:05 AM
If you want to try some french braids go for it, but I know I wouldn't have been able to put mine in french braids at chin length, ha. I can barely do them at shoulder length here.

I've been braiding mine since before anyone thought it was even possible. Not only is it possible to do them, it's quite simple.

However I would suggest dutch braids, not French. They tend to hold shorter hair better. And at least for me they're easier to do at shorter lengths.

CopperButterfly
April 13th, 2020, 12:55 PM
I don't think protective hair styles are needed before shoulder length. The idea is to keep it from rubbing on your clothes or getting caught on things. At chin length I'd consider using clips to just keep it away from my face, but that's about it.

Laurab
April 13th, 2020, 01:24 PM
I've been braiding mine since before anyone thought it was even possible. Not only is it possible to do them, it's quite simple.

However I would suggest dutch braids, not French. They tend to hold shorter hair better. And at least for me they're easier to do at shorter lengths.

Ha, impressive!

I DID first learn what I now know is a lace braid when I was growing my bangs out. They weren't pretty, but it was the first time the any french braid related methods clicked for me. Before then i was keeping the braid out of my face by making a little braid, using that as the third section for a bigger braid, using THAT as the third section of a medium braid, etc. until I couldn't add more. It wasn't that bad honestly :laugh: But I wouldn't call it protective.

I agree that dutch braids are easier on shorter lengths, it lies closer to my head so I've got fewer bits sticking out.

lapushka
April 13th, 2020, 03:34 PM
IMO chin length hair (apart from the pillowcase) can be left pretty much alone. I fear that at this length if you are going to start tying it up with it being so short still, you might pull at that hair too much.

So it's a balancing act.

LadyMikaelson
April 14th, 2020, 11:25 AM
I never encountered any problems with my hair down at chin length. However, now that I'm a CBL I prefer it up at night. Plus, it's getting hotter and I hate having the hair on my face through the night. I used to just wear it up in a scrunchie, but I noticed as my hair has grown it's starting to tangle. So, I'm done with that. LOL! I'm going to start sleeping in braids every other night to see if it helps me. I'll probably do french, dutch, and rope braids.

I'm new to this too so I don't really have any tips, but I wish you luck! :disco: