PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if I actually suit my hair longer vs shorter? Any advice?

stephy190
April 11th, 2020, 05:15 PM
Now that I've got longer hair I'm sort of doubting if it suits me. I found an old picture and thought do I suit shorter hair better? Like if longer doesn't suit me as well why bother? But I do really like long hair. just wondering if any of you have any advice for this/if you had something similar? And if you prefer the short vs long on me?

Edited to remove the links so they're not on this post but my pictures are still on my profile album :)
Thanks for the tips all! :)

Obsidian
April 11th, 2020, 05:26 PM
Both are nice but I like longer on you. You have the perfect face for long hair.

stephy190
April 11th, 2020, 05:31 PM
Both are nice but I like longer on you. You have the perfect face for long hair.

Thanks for the reply :) I have just started doubting it maybe it's a phase or I need a trim to feel more fresh or something

GoddesJourney
April 11th, 2020, 05:48 PM
I agree that the shape of your particular face looks good with both styles. You are probably one of those people who can wear bangs, layers, updos without looking angry or boring, etc. Long looks great on you. Some people with such versatile features like yours just grow it out for awhile, cut it for fun, get tired of the upkeep and grow it back out. I know this doesn't help you decide but it seems you have plenty of options and you look pretty young, so I'm sure you have time to enjoy everything at least once.

lapushka
April 11th, 2020, 06:11 PM
Honestly I like both, but I kind of prefer the longer look. :) Much more unique.

Butterfly Blue
April 11th, 2020, 06:12 PM
You look great with both lengths:)
The picture of you with shorter hair looks fuller and more styled. Maybe that's what you like?
Again, both are nice. I like longer though, because I like long hair.

silkystrandz
April 11th, 2020, 06:27 PM
Wow!!! Hard to pick. They both look great on you.... But I think the longer is a better choice simply because you seem to have the kind of hair that looks healthy and has a great hemline. Sooooo, after much thought, I vote long. Hope this helps .

Bat
April 11th, 2020, 09:04 PM
you do suit both the short has more volume maybe you need some layers to bounce the long hair more will give you a change without committing to a full chop

Iyashikei
April 11th, 2020, 10:02 PM
You look great with both but I think long suits you better. It looks a bit less severe on you in my opinion.

Kalamazoo
April 11th, 2020, 10:43 PM
You look great both ways, but I'm going to upset the apple cart & say I like the short hair better on you.

(Um, ur, this website's biased. We ARE the Long Hair Community, after all! You're going to have to make up your own mind. But you're very pretty, & your hair length doesn't change that.)

Bri-Chan
April 12th, 2020, 01:28 AM
I also think that you look better with long hair.

ArtOfNoot
April 12th, 2020, 01:51 AM
With the waist length hair you look youthful and dainty, while the short hair makes you look mature and defined.

Both are beautiful but would I be a member of the LHC if I didn't hope you kept it long? haha

Estrid
April 12th, 2020, 01:58 AM
I prefer the long hair :o You look a bit like an lotr elf in that photo so ofc I'll prefer it :crush: The shorter hair (in that particular style) in the second photo makes you look a little older, if that's a good or bad thing is up to you!

Ylva
April 12th, 2020, 03:02 AM
I think the short hair looks slightly better, but both are good looks.

I find that long hair isn't necessarily about what suits you best. It certainly doesn't suit me best, but that's totally secondary to me. But I do understand that can be a factor to a lot of people.

Servana
April 12th, 2020, 04:32 AM
You definitely don't look bad with long hair but in that specific set of pictures I think you look better with short hair. I think we would need more pics to truly determine it. I do think that in the short hair pic it looks more like a polished style vs with the long hair there isn't a style. Thats usually how it goes with long hair. I guess it just depends what you prefer.

Bellalla
April 12th, 2020, 05:31 AM
It's really hard to say because your hair in the shorter picture looks heat styled.

I like the sleek look of your shorter hair, but I have a similar length and really don't like how it looks with my natural wave. I need to heat style until I reach APL and then finally, my natural wave looks pretty and not awkward.

My hair absolutely looks best very short, like, long pixie short. There's no question it's by far the most flattering look on me. However, it requires daily heat styling, and I'm not here for that, especially since where I live, hats are needed almost year round.

So for me, it's all about what length suits my *natural texture* the most, which is APL to BSL.

That's said, you're not stuck with one length forever. At any point you could cut back to the shorter style and then grow it out again. Unless you are determined to have and maintain very long hair, then it's easy to go back and forth between the two lengths in those photos.

Also, as you age, what you prefer on yourself might change, so don't stress about finding the *perfect* cut, the beauty of hair is that you can always change it and it is always changing.

Hailwidis
April 12th, 2020, 05:38 AM
With the waist length hair you look youthful and dainty, while the short hair makes you look mature and defined.

Both are beautiful but would I be a member of the LHC if I didn't hope you kept it long? haha
Those were my thoughts too. You look lovely either way, so you can’t go wrong! It’s just a matter of choosing which style you feel is more”you”.

stephy190
April 12th, 2020, 07:40 AM
Estrid: Thanks :) Haha that's quite cool! I like that

stephy190
April 12th, 2020, 07:43 AM
You look great both ways, but I'm going to upset the apple cart & say I like the short hair better on you.

(Um, ur, this website's biased. We ARE the Long Hair Community, after all! You're going to have to make up your own mind. But you're very pretty, & your hair length doesn't change that.)

Thanks that's so nice:) and thanks for opinion!

And art of noot thanks! I like that sort of style so think I'm edging towards keeping it long !

stephy190
April 12th, 2020, 09:44 AM
Honestly I like both, but I kind of prefer the longer look. :) Much more unique.

Thanks everyone else for replies! I agree that long hair sometimes just looks like long hair with not a whole lot of style. Layers are an option but I have got used to the lower maintenance of one length hair

Deborah
April 12th, 2020, 10:18 AM
I think you look great with either length, and I'm sure you would look equally wonderful at any length you might choose.

stephy190
April 12th, 2020, 11:52 AM
I think you look great with either length, and I'm sure you would look equally wonderful at any length you might choose.

Thanks! :)

bparnell75
April 12th, 2020, 11:56 AM
You have a lovely face. But I would really enjoy seeing how you look with a high bun. Maybe eve a soppy bun. You have a great long neck that would just be elegant with your hair up. Give it a try. I hope you have a couple of nice sticks or a fork.
that might help with your decision.

Laurab
April 12th, 2020, 12:13 PM
I think most people seem to be in agreement here that you can rock any length (with some bias towards long of course :laugh: )

I'd say it's all about what vibe you want to give.
Long is more elegant and romantic, short is more youthful and playful.
Long hair can be more versatile since you can style it so many different ways, but your short hair isn't THAT short.

The tricky thing is you can go from long to short in minutes, but going from short to long takes years!

Perhaps you want to just try a new style? Like adding some long layers or some face framing to make it feel fresh again.

stephy190
April 12th, 2020, 12:57 PM
I think most people seem to be in agreement here that you can rock any length (with some bias towards long of course :laugh: )

I'd say it's all about what vibe you want to give.
Long is more elegant and romantic, short is more youthful and playful.
Long hair can be more versatile since you can style it so many different ways, but your short hair isn't THAT short.

The tricky thing is you can go from long to short in minutes, but going from short to long takes years!

Perhaps you want to just try a new style? Like adding some long layers or some face framing to make it feel fresh again.

Yeah I could try new style. I love the one length hair it's so low maintenance. I could grow out my side fringe into long layers maybe :) thanks for the tips!

Bparnell75 Thanks, I wear my hair up all the time :) I definitely like updos!

elise.autumn
April 12th, 2020, 04:31 PM

I prefer the long hair :o You look a bit like an lotr elf in that photo so ofc I'll prefer it :crush: The shorter hair (in that particular style) in the second photo makes you look a little older, if that's a good or bad thing is up to you!

I second these.

My first thought about photo #1 was "you look like an elf".

Lucy McLucyFace
April 12th, 2020, 04:52 PM
First of all you are so pretty, just had to say it.
And secondly you look very cute with both but the short hair makes you look more trendy. The longer is a different type of timeless beauty. It's a matter of choosing which you think is more important though I personally prefer how you look with longer hair

ynne
April 12th, 2020, 05:41 PM
The shorter one frames your face from both sides which makes a big difference, visually, I think! While the newer one has that neat parting and a tuck behind an ear, that might make it lean towards the more... "classical" look others have pointed out. So I agree it might be a matter of styling instead of just a length difference. (And of course, the short hair photo has vibrant colors and there's not as much of a contrast between your skin and hair. It really softens it up!) I think you looked slightly older with the shorter hairstyle (that's not a bad/good thing, it just gives me that "mature" impression!), but it might just be the individual photo.

But like others have said, you looked lovely with both, so I don't think you can go wrong, no matter what you do with it next!

What is it, specifically, that you prefer on the older one? Perhaps you can recreate it without needing a haircut. :)

Kalamazoo
April 12th, 2020, 05:56 PM
Where is our Updo & Braid Glossary? When I can find it, it's very useful. Especially since YouTube has tutorials for how to do each one. While your hair is its current length, try out a few different styles & see what you can make of it as is, before applying scissors. I even found directions on how to do Ginger Rogers' hairstyle. I just always thought she had shoulder-length hair. Turns out, it was much longer. http://691superlonghair.blogspot.com/2015/08/ginger-rogers-style-half-updo-for.html?m=1

share801
April 12th, 2020, 06:01 PM
I prefer the shorter but both are nice. You have a pretty face and it seems to highlight it.

0xalis
April 12th, 2020, 06:02 PM
You're cute in general, don't worry about it! Do whatever feels like "you"!

BraidedBunch
April 13th, 2020, 12:01 PM
You've got the kind of face that looks equally good with any hair length.
I like the mid-length hair on you better because it draws more attention to your facial features, whereas the longer hair draws the eye down and away from your natural (very pretty) face.

You do you, girl!

Milady_DeWinter
April 13th, 2020, 12:20 PM
You are super cute, both lenghts suits you a lot :) I usually prefer longer lenghts and it's not an exception, but that's my personal preference, nothing to do with what's better with your features :blossom:

bparnell75
April 13th, 2020, 12:59 PM
Do you see how elegant Mi Lady looks with her hair up? You have that same lovely long neck. Hair up shows that off.

FrayedFire
April 13th, 2020, 01:27 PM
I'm seeing a shorter medium and a long medium - the short one makes you look like Alison Brie, the longer makes you look... like someone else I can't remember. Both are cute, have you ever had longer than the long style?

spidermom
April 13th, 2020, 01:32 PM
I like both also. Have fun with it! If long no longer suits you, get a new cut. Hair grows. You're never stuck.

stephy190
April 13th, 2020, 01:50 PM
I'm seeing a shorter medium and a long medium - the short one makes you look like Alison Brie, the longer makes you look... like someone else I can't remember. Both are cute, have you ever had longer than the long style?

Oh that's cool! Alison brie does have that sort of hairstyle at the start of community! The idea of having her style would convince me to chop it back again lol! I haven't had much longer than current length no!

stephy190
April 13th, 2020, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the lovely comments :crush: and opinions! It's really helpful :)

FrayedFire
April 13th, 2020, 02:29 PM
Oh that's cool! Alison brie does have that sort of hairstyle at the start of community! The idea of having her style would convince me to chop it back again lol! I haven't had much longer than current length no!

Hehehe yeah I was surprised I liked the shorter one so much, I'm usually biased toward longer. But if you haven't gone longer yet, that could be fun and look really nice, and if you don't like it, then you know you can go shorter and look great either way.

Wendyclaire
April 13th, 2020, 03:55 PM
Well, it really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. I prefer long but that’s why I’m here! Which do you like more?

stephy190
April 14th, 2020, 02:21 AM
Well, it really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. I prefer long but that’s why I’m here! Which do you like more?

I've been feeling a bit fed up with it lately and was missing my shorter hair but chopping on a whim is never a good idea! And I have been wanting my hair long.. so I'm thinking now just to get some more face framing etc and see if I prefer it!

Kalamazoo
April 14th, 2020, 12:17 PM
Where is our Updo & Braid Glossary? When I can find it, it's very useful. Especially since YouTube has tutorials for how to do each one. While your hair is its current length, try out a few different styles & see what you can make of it as is, before applying scissors. I even found directions on how to do Ginger Rogers' hairstyle. I just always thought she had shoulder-length hair. Turns out, it was much longer. http://691superlonghair.blogspot.com/2015/08/ginger-rogers-style-half-updo-for.html?m=1

Found it! The Updo & Braid Glossary is actually called something else, down towards the bottom of the page. There are links to more than one page under "Styling & Inspiration".

https://longhaircommunity.com/forums/announcement.php?f=9&styleid=9