PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic Washout?

kinnyuu
April 10th, 2020, 08:41 PM
Hey folks,
I had a moment of weakness and dyed the ends of virgin hair (dark blonde) with violet manic panic. I left it on for 10 min then rinsed out. I’m gonna be honest, it looks terrible. Clashes and looks like a dark silver semi purple mud.
any idea how long this will take to get out? I freaked and washed twice with Prell and it’s only slightly lighter and it’s more of like a slate / gray rather than purple.
self isolation got to me and I thought it was a good idea but it was a very bad idea :(:(
thanks!

ExpectoPatronum
April 10th, 2020, 09:10 PM
I used to dye my hair with manic panic and usually, just washing it was the best way to get it out. Even then it never came out completely. Perhaps you could use a color remover? I've also seen some people mix crushed vitamin C tablets with a dandruff shampoo and apply that, letting it sit before washing it out to remove dye. I've never tried that though.

I hope you can find something that works! Or that other people have better advice than I do.

FrayedFire
April 10th, 2020, 09:31 PM
Or you could cover it with a different colour?

Spikey
April 10th, 2020, 10:00 PM
One of the nice things about messing with your hair in quarantine is that so few people will see it! You have a lot more wiggle room to let it wash out on its own over time, and put it up when you don't want to see it. No need to panic and try something that might damage or dry out your hair. I say wait a few weeks and just wash more frequently than usual. If you only did the tips for 10 minutes, it should come out on its own. My manic panic always faded pretty well, just took a while, and that was on top of bleach.

Maybe keep in mind: healthy hair that looks wierd at the ends for a month or so (and on dark blond? doubt its very noticeable) is probably a lot more desirable for you than permanent damage from bleach, or lemon juice with baking soda or something else silly.

Bri-Chan
April 11th, 2020, 01:21 AM
Pre-poo oil treatments help.

Jo Ann
April 11th, 2020, 01:50 AM
Kinnyuu, all the violet did was cancel out the yellow tones in your hair because violet/purple is opposite yellow on the color wheel (violet/purple cancels yellow) (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/34/d6/55/34d655aff7b458208b7c0575b0c660b4.jpg). Just be patient--semi-permanent hair is temporary hair color and usually washes out with minimal residual staining.

Leaving your shampoo (especially a clarifying shampoo) on for a couple of minutes when you wash your hair will help gradually fade the Manic Panic. You don't have to add baking soda or Vitamin C or do a bleach bath or anything like that. Don't forget to use an extra moisturizing conditioner or treatment afterwards, because it will dry your hair out a bit. Also, wash your hair more frequently and use this method. You should be back to your natural color before you know it! :)

I use semi-permanent hair color and change the color about once/month. If I'm not in a rush to change out the color, this is the method I use to fade the color. How I do it: I apply the shampoo, wash down the rest of me, then rinse all of me off.

Bat
April 11th, 2020, 02:47 AM
manic panic needs a good 30 minutes to sink into your hair, you washed it out too soon if you can find a shampoo that helps with color fade you could do that but it takes a fair bit of washes to really make a difference, and its something you'd want to use over time not all in the same day, you'll dry your ends out

spidermom
April 11th, 2020, 06:48 AM
It's going to wash out; be patient. Put it up so you don't see it.

Obsidian
April 11th, 2020, 10:25 AM
I've had some fading of fashion colors leaving oil on overnight. If I need more noticable fading, I crush a few vit c tabs in a healthy amount of dandruff shampoo, apply to dry hair and leave on for a hour.

Some colors will fade almost completely, others are more stubborn. I've not used manic panic so I don't know how the vit c will work but it should help considerably.

UncommonTart
April 11th, 2020, 11:57 AM
When I used ultraviolet manic panic on my (at the time) dark blond virgin hair, the purple lasted a day or two and the silver grey lasted about a week. At the time I was washing my hair either every day or every other day, I don’t remember which. I left the manic panic on for an hour or so.

Give it a week or two and it’ll be gone. In the meantime can you wear your hair up with the ends tucked in so they don’t show? If it bothers you.

SleepyTangles
April 11th, 2020, 12:53 PM
Hey there, another vote for waiting! Manic Panic tends to fade easily: a bit of oiling before washing and clarifying shampoo would fasten the process.
On virgin hair 10 minutes are definitively too little, healthy low-porosity hair is not keen on soaking pigment.

lapushka
April 11th, 2020, 01:07 PM
It's going to wash out; be patient. Put it up so you don't see it.

I strongly agree with this. ^^ Don't do drastic things just because you want it *gone* right now (I do understand that feeling, very well). But please be patient!

BleachedBerry
May 31st, 2020, 06:38 PM
Hey folks,
I had a moment of weakness and dyed the ends of virgin hair (dark blonde) with violet manic panic. I left it on for 10 min then rinsed out. I’m gonna be honest, it looks terrible. Clashes and looks like a dark silver semi purple mud.
any idea how long this will take to get out? I freaked and washed twice with Prell and it’s only slightly lighter and it’s more of like a slate / gray rather than purple.
self isolation got to me and I thought it was a good idea but it was a very bad idea :(:(
thanks!

You may need a color remover but most are meant to be recolored after.
Direct dyes can be difficult to remove and may fade but never completely disappear in some cases, as they stain the hair.

I would try a mixture of clarifying shampoo and baking soda left on the hair at least 5-10 minutes. This will be very harsh so follow up with a deep treatment

If all fails you could try a bleach bath, after mixing with developer, add shampoo to the mixture and apply to damp hair until the color is removed. This will also be harsh but gentler than straight bleach. Definitely follow up with a deep treatment. Or simply wait it out, overusing harsh shampoos will be drying so make sure to deep treat.

Aredhel
May 31st, 2020, 07:58 PM
My sister once used my Mane N Tail shampoo when she was visiting, and it almost completely stripped the Manic Panic from her hair in one wash (I think it was teal? Not sure if that's relevant). I later Googled it and apparently it's actually a thing with that brand. Obviously YMMV but that was my one personal encounter with this. :)

Beckstar
May 31st, 2020, 08:38 PM
I’ve always had Manic Paniac wash out 100% and I always leave it on overnight.