PDA

View Full Version : How do you channel the desire to cut?

sonic_goose
April 10th, 2020, 10:26 AM
Hey everyone! I think this lockdown is getting to us all...

I’ve been battling the STRONG urge to cut my hair. I so love the retro, 60s/70s shag look, ala Marianne Faithful, Stevie Nicks, Jane Fonda, Cherie Currie, etc. I want this cut so bad, especially with summer coming up. I think it’s so cute, cool, and unique.

However, my ultimate goal is floor length hair. I will never get there if I keep cutting my hair, and I ultimately know I would regret it if I did. That being said - how do you curb and channel your urge to cut your hair off? It’s really starting to get to me!

bparnell75
April 10th, 2020, 10:34 AM
First of all remember there is a two week rule to wait before cutting. Another thing to do is remember how much work it is to maintain and style those looks. It has to be curled or styled every day.
The other thing is to go to Youtube and look at tutorials that will help you find a new look for your long hair. Practice new buns etc. If you must cut try bangs. Floor length is a 10 year process so do not loose the length you have gained. You can do it.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 10th, 2020, 10:59 AM
Put it up and forget about it until the urge goes away.

Lucy McLucyFace
April 10th, 2020, 11:21 AM
Oh no I got a haircut like that at some point. I wanted the hairdresser to give me emo hair but she gave me some old school thing she knew how to do:doh:

Best thing I can tell you to make you change your mind is that with that cut you're stuck with that style until you can grow it out and you can and will get bored of it very fast but won't be able to do a thing about it. It looks fresh for a few days or weeks and then it's just "oh right I got this cut". You also can't do any other hairstyles as the layers are too short to do anything other than a thin ponytail. An extra struggle for me is that the ends of my hair tend to stick out in whatever direction they feel like so unless I used heat to tame the layers, it looked completely chaotic.

On the other hand if you just leave your hair be you can make a different hairstyle (braid, bun, half up, using hairtoys and scarfs, etc) every day and it always looks different and fresh!

Bri-Chan
April 10th, 2020, 12:40 PM
The styling. That kind of style need to be styled, doesn't look like in pics without taking care of it.
I think you must just wait.

Bellalla
April 10th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Ugh, so much work.

It's like every time I want bangs, I remind myself that my double cowlick means that they need to be heat styled no less than 3 times a day to keep them from looking stupid.

Anything hair style that doesn't work with air drying is an epic pain in the ass and detrimental to my overall state of well being, lol.

sonic_goose
April 10th, 2020, 12:58 PM
You're totally right! Thank you guys for your good points. It's helping. :laugh:

Natalia_A00
April 10th, 2020, 05:10 PM
Personally, I look at old photos from when I had short hair. Whenever I take a good look at them I realize that short hair doesn't really suit me (nothing shorter than APL at least). Also, I try to experiment with new hairstyles in order not to get bored with my hair.
I have been thinking about cutting a little bit, but well, I'm in quarantine so I can't. I don't trust myself with haircuts either lol. Usually when I get my ends trimmed that urge to go for a radical chop disappears.

But hey, if you really like short styles and you're not like me (sometimes I just want a cut because I feel that I need a change) then go for it.

Bat
April 10th, 2020, 05:17 PM
I struggle with this urge a lot even before the crisis, but you have to repeat in your mind, floor length, also try and focus on your next hair growing milestone, how close you are to it, and hopefully that inspires you to keep growing, the shorter you cut it, the further your next long milestone is

Spikey
April 10th, 2020, 10:12 PM
Easy! Check out Ligeia Noire's photo album. If you still want to cut after seeing that, you're out of your mind.

April 11th, 2020, 02:49 AM
I don't. I cut it all off *facepalm*. But now it's probable I'll grow out a bit because I'm so sick I might not have enough strength to do a cut (it' tiring to cut hair that thick!). Will see.

Wusel
April 11th, 2020, 03:17 AM
Maybe it helps when I tell you, with full respect for your shag desires, that it's the ugliest haircut I have ever seen to me?

Wusel
April 11th, 2020, 03:22 AM
Ugh, so much work.

It's like every time I want bangs, I remind myself that my double cowlick means that they need to be heat styled no less than 3 times a day to keep them from looking stupid.

Anything hair style that doesn't work with air drying is an epic pain in the ass and detrimental to my overall state of well being, lol.

That's why I got rid of my bangs. Everyone kept telling me: But bangs look SO cute on you! and I kept answerig: But I hate ironing it a billion times a day so it looks presentable!
I have a huge cowlick which practically is half of my bangs. Where my widows peak is. The whole widows peak is a cowlick.

Bat
April 11th, 2020, 03:35 AM
Easy! Check out Ligeia Noire's photo album. If you still want to cut after seeing that, you're out of your mind.

I tried, looks like their account is closed, so no Album unlessimblind

Sarahlabyrinth
April 11th, 2020, 03:58 AM
I tried, looks like their account is closed, so no Album unlessimblind

Yes, she closed her account a few days ago. She does have a You Tube channel though, just look for Ligeia Noire. She has the most glorious mane!

Bat
April 11th, 2020, 04:06 AM
Yes, she closed her account a few days ago. She does have a You Tube channel though, just look for Ligeia Noire. She has the most glorious mane!

becomes a creeper and looks it up

Bat
April 11th, 2020, 04:18 AM
JJJLongHair4u2c on youtube has amazing hair as well

Sarahlabyrinth
April 11th, 2020, 04:21 AM
JJJLongHair4u2c on youtube has amazing hair as well

Indeed she does! And Arc691.

Bat
April 11th, 2020, 04:31 AM
Indeed she does! And Arc691.

looks up them too, more inspiration not to give up!

spidermom
April 11th, 2020, 06:46 AM
The last time I got the "cut it" bug, I looked at lots and lots of pictures of short hair. Somehow just looking satisfied the impulse.

lapushka
April 11th, 2020, 07:27 AM
Often, at least this goes for me, when I get a *huge, humongous* urge to cut, it means my hair has gotten a little too long for comfort and that means I am past classic length. Just cutting an inch or even two, depends on what length it is, helps curb that urge so much.

You could try that.

In any case, *never* cut your hair just one huge chunk off, unless you mean it and have thought about it for a while.

Go back in increments, see how you feel.

LadyMikaelson
April 11th, 2020, 02:35 PM
I had the urge to cut mine the other day. The weather was hot and my hair felt like straw. However, I just put the length up in a low ponytail bun and got my mind off of it. I kept telling myself that I always regret it when I cut it. I also started coming back to this forum and looking at long hair pics on pinterest. The urge went away after a few days. I'm now so glad that I didn't cave in and cut it! :waltz: