PDA

View Full Version : 2b / M / ii Twins out there? Good routine?

tiny_teesha
March 22nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
If your hair type is 2b M ii Or very similar (like 2b/2c M ii)
I would like to know what your hair routine is.
I've tried almost everything....
My hair has been previously killed within an inch of it's life, and i'm just in another state of....what's the word? Despair?

Well my hair is dry, and i can't help but think it felt better on cones, but i've been coneless since june or july 07, and i don't really want to go back.

If anyone has hair like me (that also has been colour treated) please let me know what will make my hair combable, on its own (not useing coconut oil or anything.)

I henna, i do regular moisture masks, i wash about 3 times a week with herbs.

HELP! :)

thanks in advance.

prosperina
March 22nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
My hair is on the smaller side of the iii range, so I guess I can still comment. Could you just go old fashioned and use conditioner? Or maybe honey? Or mayonnaise as a deep treatment. My hair all likes that. I also henna, and I have bleach under the henna. Or perhaps cassia with honey and chamomile tea--my hair felt wonderful after that. Good luck. :)

tiny_teesha
March 22nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
I decided to go off protein as my hair decided it didn't like it all of a sudden. I do want to try out a EVOO and honey and aloe, pinch of conditioner hair mask though. I guess i do need to shampoo it out after.

I think this just may be the way my hair reacted to herbs though.....it pretty much started to play up then, but i don't want that to be the case because i love useingherbs! its cheap and friendly to my hair (supposed to be) and to the environment!

i just need to get my hands on cassia, i have just about every other herb *rolls eyes* I do think it is a good idea. I do a weekly henna wax mask- which has henna extract and another which i think has cassia in it. Maybe i should go to cones, but i don't like what i've read.

I'm a bit confused. I washed my hair yesterday so i want to limit the amount of times i do, i guess it will have to wait until friday. (next time i wash)

WavyGirl
March 23rd, 2008, 02:32 AM
Hi Teesha,

Mine's is 2a/b/cMii and growing out dyes and other damage. When I started here I went no cones as lots of people said they mask damage and I wanted to see what I was dealing with. That was scarey. The condition seemed to deteriorate overnight. I started oiling the wet ends and using a mister which both helped. Then I started experimenting with different types of cone-free conditioners. I realised that the healthy new hair likes protein occasionally and the damaged stuff hates it. It also became apparent that oils build up in my hair just like cones so a clarifying wash becomes necessary about once a month. I went back to cones for a while as I couldn't get any routine to work well and I felt that I'd done alright on cones for years. Turned out that going back they felt bad so I didn't use them for long. I trimmed out a few inches of the damage over the years. I finally settled into a routine of CWC with cone free conditioners and a leave-in. I also hennad a few times to sort out the colour which worked well, but I found it drying and I'm hoping to let my silvers come in naturally so I've stopped that now.

I've done SMTs, honey, glycerine & coconut milk as deep treatments and while they're nice I never feel that it's worth the extra messing with my hair. I'm sure most of my damage is caused by handling so I'm making a real effort to keep that to a minimum.

Now I'm attempting to go WO for the second time. The first wasn't helped by my poor water quality, but I've now got a shower filter and that helps a lot (it cost £30 which I thought was a reasonable price). So my routine is WO wash, ACV rinse left in & SIAS leave in through the length & ends and damp bunning. It works for me as it tames the wispies, keeps the lengths and ends well moisturized and makes my hair a little straighter. I never use the BBBrush any more as it always feels like it's tearing my hair. I use a horn comb which is by far the best I've tried. If I do feel like wearing it down and encouraging the curls I use aloe vera gel as it doesn't get sticky or heavy.

So, to summarise, tips for you:
Try clarifying. Baking soda in your usual cleanser is a good starting point.
Try shea butter as a leave-in. It doesn't seem to build up like the oils do.
If you're oiling, try it on wet hair.
If you don't want to go back to cones you don't have to. Try a protein free conditioner first.
Try a bit of careful s&d. I normally just snip at the spots where the comb gets stuck. At first there are loads, but now I've been doing it a while, I get maybe 2 or 3 snags each time I comb.
If nothing is working for you then consider a shower filter. Even when I was CWCing I could really feel the difference when I fitted it and I probably would have had very different results with all of my experiments if the water wasn't interfering.

If you want to PM me to chat feel free, I know how stressful damaged wavy hair can be. :flowers:

tiny_teesha
March 23rd, 2008, 03:42 AM
i clarified a fortnight ago....
I normally douse my hair in coconut and shea, but then it rejected it, must have been sick of all the protein so i've since changed to EVOO. I do oil on wet hair.
I am useing no protein atm, to see if that helps, it did get a bit better, now it is just worse again.
I S&D yesterday or the day before i think.
I did look up my places water and it is at the "soft" range not "very " soft, but it is soft. And i still live with my parents.
Oh yes it is stressful! I haven't trimmed since december, but i have a feeling if i do it will be better. I know that if i do go back to coconut oil it will make it tangless, but i feel the protein might make it stiffer. I've been trying to unstiffen it. If i hold up the ends from sholder down it pokes up in the air. But it was getting better and softer and flopping over. That's why i want to continue to not use protein.

I think tommorow i will put in a good mask....I think maybe my hair wants a proper wash out with shampoo, because even the roots are tangly.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I hate how my hair as a temperament, she is definetely a woman-changes her mind all the time *rolls eyes*

helynhighwater
March 23rd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Finding what works best for my hair is on ongoing process. Mine's never been color treated, but is a similar type. My hair likes coconut oil, a little honey stirred into every bottle of conditioner and an ACV rinse with every wash. Since I wash my hair daily {my scalp rebels if I don't}, I dilute the ACV fairly heavily so it won't be drying. I have a quart jar that I add a half tablespoon to, fill the rest up with cool water and pour it on while the hair still has conditioner in it.

If you brush, you might consider giving it up for combing instead. I used to love brushing when my hair was short, but once it started to get close to BSL, it caused way more tangles than it was getting out. If I absolutely have to use a brush to smooth, I comb it out first and then again after using the brush and that seems to help.

florenonite
March 23rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
You say you don't want to go back to cones, but have you got any real reason for this? You say you don't like what you've read, but what is it that you've read that you dislike? I say this because some LHCers here have fantastic results with cones, it's not as if they're the spawn of Satan or anything. There are even some people out there who have gone no-cone for a while then, when their hair got healthier returned to cones.

Vela
March 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
2b/m/iii

You seem to be doing a lot of things to your hair, all of which are good on their own but so much together so often may not be so good.
I've never colored my hair before, but my hair likes a once a week wash and a monthly heavy oiling of EVOO. I tried experimenting with things like what your doing, but it dried out my hair alot, because (I believe) that So much stuff on in then off and some different stuff put on it not to long after.
I had to go 3weeks without washing to get it back to normal.(Something I don't really wanna relive. XP )

I say just sticking to a basic simple routine will help, but I don't know, people can have 'matching' hair and ones hair likes something while the others doesn't.

Anyhow, goodluck!

Aisha25
March 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Hey were hair twins:).Well for me I only wash once a week but now it's winter maybe once every 2 weeks and oil every other day the time I do wash its with honey evoo and egg mask for my hair with castor coconut and evoo oil on my scalp,then shampoo and do a henna and placenta deep conditioner and then I have to use a conditioner with at one cone in it,finish off with a final rinse of acv.
Now my hair has never been better.I used to have highlightes but taking such good care of my hair it has dissapeared.

teela1978
March 23rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
A year or two ago most of my hair was dyed, and then my hair was 2b/cMii... it's changed since but back then CO with cheapo conditioner, no cones, loads of aloe vera gel, and a bit of coconut oil did wonders.

I'm curious, you say that you're avoiding coconut oil and shea butter because of proteins, but as far as I know neither of those have much protein. Additionally, you're using henna which from my understanding deposits a lot of protein.

I think vela's point about you doing a lot of things at once is quite valid. Perhaps you should cut back a bit. Just do herbal washes for a while. Use oil (whatever one you want) to condition in small amounts if needed, and then try changing one thing after a week or so.

Good luck!

tuuli
March 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
My routine is quite simple. Very low in proteins, just once a month.
I wash with a sulphate free shampoo and condition with a moisture based conditioner with a small drop of D-Panthenol. Deep Condition is conditioner with shea butter, some oil and 2-3 drops D-Panthenol and optional Silk Protein. I do no oiling on a regular basis. Hth :)

birdiefu
March 23rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
I'm a 2a/M/ii. When I have a hair crisis of some sort leaving me with dry and tangly ends, this is what I do:

1. Clarify
2. S&D the tangly areas
3. SMT (lots and lots of honey) with non-protein condish
4. Keep ends wet and slather with coconut oil. Do this for a weekend or so
5. Do regular wash/condish and assess condition of hair once more

If still funky, I do a protein treatment (I love Nexxus Keraphix) followed by SMT, followed by oiling again. Haven't had my hair still be bad after this point.

When you say your hair doesn't like protein, have you been doing a moisture treatment after using protein? I ask this because my hair will usually get quite crunchy after a protein treatment, but if I immediately follow with just moisture (SMT, etc), my hair is very, very happy.

As far as a regular routine, I CO wash or CWC, use a teeny bit of leave-in on the bottom half, followed by a bit of fractionated coconut oil ears down while hair is damp. I henna about once a month, protein once a month, and SMT whenever I find the time (~every 1-2 weeks). I also will do a heavy oiling maybe 1-2 times a month and leave it in as long as I can stand it.

I've dabbled with other methods in the past, but this is what works best for my hair as well as being relatively convenient. I will admit that Indian herbs made my hair absolutely fabulous, but I just don't have the time to make it up all the time. Every couple of months I might do it to revel in super-nice hair.

birdiefu
March 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Just a few more things I wanted to add after going over the thread again, and just want to let you know that my hair has previously been chemically dyed and damaged from that. When I herb wash (or especially henna!) I do use regular conditioner. I don't get enough slip, even with mucilaginous herbs, to be able to safely manipulate my wet hair and get any herb bits out.

And when I henna I *must* apply huge amounts of conditioner to my hair twice to rinse out all the residue. If not, I get very dry and tangly hair that is hard to comb. I basically rinse like the dickens after the henna, apply condish, rinse like crazy again (till water is pretty much clear), then apply more condish, let it sit for a while, and do a final long rinse.

Depending on what herbs you are using or their ratio in your mix, they may be contributing to your problem.

tiny_teesha
March 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
helynhighwater - i do comb. My hair too loves honey and ACV and i do them regularily. I'm really starting to think my hair just wants some shampoo! lol

florenonite - but was their hair healthier- or did it SEEM healthier? I did't notice a difference comming off cones, to with, so i chose to stick without them and use oils instead as it was more natural.

Vela - thank you. The past 2-3 weeks all ive done is one moisture mask, useing EVOO instead of coconut oil- which made it softer, and washing with neem then conditioning and ACV rinsing. I used to wash with shampoo, or a bar, then use a moisture mask and ACV every wash 3X a week. The past 3 weeks no shampoo, and i've only washed it 1 time this week and 3 times the week before.

Aisha25 - that sounds realy good. like limiting the washes but every time you wash give it a really good treatment. I don't like wasiting food (egg) on hair though....it feels wrong to me.

teela1978 - oh, well.... :S....i was under the impression henna had no protein and shea and coconut oil did.... how do we know the facts?!? lol But since i clarified i have really left it alone.... I'm just trying to find the route of my stiff ends, and in doing so people suggested i had to much protein, and at first i saw an improvement but without the coconut oil i haven't had much luck! I think i will start on coconut oil again and see if my hair acts positively. I MAY shampoo, i'm trying to transistion without it.

birdie fu-
1. Clarify - did that
2. S&D the tangly areas- did that
3. SMT (lots and lots of honey) with non-protein condish- i did my version of an SMT
4. Keep ends wet and slather with coconut oil. Do this for a weekend or so - havent done that, but i had wet hair for many hours (about 5 and slept with it damp) with EVOO instead of CO.
5. Do regular wash/condish and assess condition of hair once more- i think i need to wash with something other then neem, but one day it made it soft the rest it just makes it tangly and blah...

Well i am avioding protein for 2 weeks after giving it loads all the time. Well its because i used to use protein at every wash and use coconut and shea a lot which i have been told are protein but now i am not so sure they are. I do henna monthly but i also used to put in too much coconut oil every shower. I doused my hair in it till it was greasy because all i wear is updos and it makes my hair feel hold the do neater and makes it feel nice and it is all absorbed within a few days anyway.
I think the neem is a likely bet.... I do condition after and ACV and the slip from that i hope has them come out. I need to BBB after, that too gets a lot out, but my hair is NOT soft...only the regrowth. I think tonight i will :
Do a moisture mask containing Aloe, honey, EVOO and some moisturising conditioner, maybe even some of my hennawax mask (avaliable only in Australia)
then...
wash my hair with diluted natural (no cones sulfates etc) shampoo...just to shut it up! haha.
Then...
Condition again....
Then...
put a tiny bit of shea on my very tips (last inch) and some coconut oil ears down.

then if my hair isn't soft i will curse a LOT....lol
I'll keep you guys posted.

Thank you all so much for all your suggestions and help!!! I want to see if i can get away with this without cones!

florenonite
March 24th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Cones are fine if your hair is healthy, usually, and if it's prone to tangles will make it easier to comb, but you do need to clarify once in a while. If you didn't notice any difference with no-cone, however, then there's no reason to change back if you're happy with oils.

tiny_teesha
March 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM
my hair is anything but healthy!!!
Exactly what i thought and that's why i'm going to avoid cones as much as i can- because it probably will make it better,but it probably wont....

Ok, now i got lazy and it was late and i got a rash so i decded to shower and spurr of the moment decded to do a WO scalp wash and condition the length and used WV to rinse with last- it smells way better then ACV! Anyways, i used both shea and coconut. The shea tangled it as usual but hopefully by morning it will have absorbed. I may BBB tommorow. It is still wet right now and hot!

tiny_teesha
April 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I'm also wondering what are good ways to enhance wave? I herd something about salt water but is this damaging. I am not fond of ploppin either....Just doesn't look like fun to me.

eta- by useing loads of moisture my hair is better but it is begging for a mask but i can't be bothered so it will have to wait until i am bored!

tiny_teesha
May 20th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I finally did that mask and i thought i would pamper my roots as i never apply masks and rarely put conditioner even on my scalp= well i shed out a chunk, so never again! My ends are alright.
I'm back to herbal washing and my hair has already became softer.
Any tips to enhance waves? Anyone?

Irishred
May 20th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hi tiny_teesha,

It looks like you have tried a LOT on your hair in a very sort time period.

I found EVOO to heavy for my hair., even as just a pre-wash oiling. Tried a Coconut Oil mix by Softee as a pre-wash because it was a mix (mineral oil). If either of these were left to long my hair was full of lint and 'tacky'.

Recently, my sister sent me some pure coconut oil, the kind you can cook with, and I LOVE it. I have only used it a few times. because I rotate through 3 leave-ins depending on the hair that day. I apply maybe 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp at most to wet length. I rub it on my hands first so the actual amount that gets applied to my hair is less as my dry hands love this stuff too. Then I braid or bun. I did try this on dry hair and it was not real happy. Here (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094) are some very interesting study results about coconut oil on hair. It does not say coconut oil is a protein but that it helps the hair retain protein.

I also like coco butter. Usually applied to dry hair. However I have to be careful when I use this now as it does not agree with one of my shampoos/conditioners or my other leave in. I love to use coco butter on DD's hair when detangling because it is really good at getting kid 'stuff' out of her hair. Again have to watch when I use it as she uses all my other products.

Herbal essence Long Term Relationship leave-in conditioner is my other leave-in. I only use it the week I wash and condition with the related shampoo and conditioner. I put it on after a wash on wet hair and then dampen my length to apply a mixed with water pea drop if I use it later.

I have never tried herbs to wash but did try homemade egg shampoo several times. I liked it but with young children, it was difficult to use this wash. I was a no-cone advocate for a very long time. I also CO-ed for a while. I use white rain and VO5 shampoo and conditioner for non-cone. However, I received the new Long Term Relationship (LTR) Products from Herbal Essence as a gift. They are very cone laden. I said what the heck and tried it. I really like the silky results I get. However, I discovered that after 4 uses my hair felt odd. So I washed with the non-cone stuff and it was fine. Now I rotate with a few products and treatments. I wash my hair once a week and try to clarify and do a DT about every 2 months. I do not see any change in using the cones vs no cones in the over all condition of my hair.

I S&D after non-cone washes because it seems easier to see the splits but will snip when I see them after all washes. I think more use of the various leave-ins is helping in the condition of my hair more than anything.

I am not a plopper, the closest I get is when I wash right before bed and I throw my damp hair over my pillow to dry. More moisture (ie using leave-in/oil on freshly washed still wet hair) helps my waves if I leave it to dry natural. Misting very lightly, getting rained on or not washing my bunned uncovered hair in a shower often lead to more curls. Other things to increase curl are more successful with dampened and lightly oiled hair. For curl hold, aloe gel added to the dampened hair really helps as well. The longer you can leave it, the longer the curl will last.
3 strand braids for full length kinks
2 strand/rope braids for spiraly
cinnamon bun for big spiral loose waves
french/or dutch for scalp area waves in braids.
try multiples of these for more.
rag curls give GREAT curls but tend to be more time consuming and less likely a day before style you can wear out.

Hope all that helps.

tiny_teesha
May 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM
thanks, very informative post there!
I am too scared of cones...they are unnatural and before when i used cones my hair felt a bit different and none of the products worked properly, so i'll stick to no cone.
I will try out cone just to see what happens. I can always bicarb it out.
I personally found bee butt buns give good waves...as well as braids (scalp hair) and those foamy sticks for curls. :)

purplebubba
May 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm answering because I'm a similar type although I don't know of anyone else who does my routine.

I own several bottles of the older V05 products both S&C

I wash about 1.4 times per month. Depending on my mood for that day I do either S&C or just C.

I have most often used V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze.

cutastrophe
May 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
My hair is wavy and has been bleached...more than once.

:brainbleach:

It's a joy, let me tell you. :rolleyes: It's a constant fight against frizz. Here are some things that work fairly well to beat my hair into submission:

shampoo--Suave Naturals Coconut (really creamy and nondrying.) Giovanni Tea Tree (sulphate free and it actually cleans my hair despite that, but can be drying with frequent use because of the tt oil)

conditioner--Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose

oils-- EVOO (works the best for me, use on wet hair as a leave in and for overnight treatments), shea butter (I used this heavily after I bleached my hair and it worked wonders), emu oil (has a non greasy, cone-like affect on my hair)

misc-- ACV rinses, occasional use of cones, satin sleep cap (really reduces frizz), braids (to create an actual pattern to the waves in my hair, protect it from damage, and to keep the current damage relatively out of sight and out of mind)

SweetPea88
May 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
I just thought I'd share my routine as well.

It's very simple, just consisting of CV Shampoo bars (followed by ACV rinses) and Coconut Oil when needed. I gently comb my hair once or twice a day with a wooden comb and usually keep it in a bun or a braid (unless it is drying). I cannot say how great the shampoo bars have been, reducing my shedding, adding fullness, and overall adding to its health. HTH!

tiny_teesha
May 23rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
purple bubba- i wish i could do that to my hair! If i don't wash it in 3 days it just falls out. So i am currently washing 2-3 times a week and i'll be tossing in a few WO here or there, I'm going to see how my hair likes it. I want to have a more natural routine. If nature made something really moisturising to replace conditioner i wouldn't use it, but it doesn't (not even honey cuts it)
cutastrophe - haha, Mine too has been bleached 2 x in the past. So i have an extremely singed canopy from at home highlights. I shouldn't have done that.... I repeatedly dyed my hair once ever few months for ages, just to change the colour.
i use suave naturals/pears (same thing) in conditioner because it is cheap! :)

When your hair dries does it get frizzy? I get waves and then frizz also!?

SweetPea88 - shampoo bars left a residue in my hair and just left it weird feeling while washing. I think its pH was too high...so now i herbal wash. It is ok i suppose. I wish i could find something to stop my hair shedding at its natural pace (165 a day) . I love buns! :)

tiny_teesha
July 22nd, 2008, 05:28 AM
I just started cones again, and my hair is much flatter and sleeker and softer. Just the last wash i was able to comb, with slight difficulty, without oils. Normally this isn't possible. With each wash it is getting easier to comb....now i realise why they invented cones!!!
I still am dreading the day i clarify, i'm scared to see all the hair ripped and dry!!! Ah!
Any of you guys have a similar reaction?
I actually liked my hair better without cones, because my hair is thin from breakage, it looked fluffier before.

helpmegro
July 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
I have 2bc Mii hair... and I tell you I don't know what the heck it wants. It's really easy to overmoisturize it, but it can easily get dry and frizzy looking. It seems to do better with conditioners, but I get a bit more lost hairs with conditioner. Herbal washes work pretty well on my hair (I do tea and rosemary) but they kind of make it smell a tad musty (I'm big on hair smelling nice).

I have to admit that I liked my hair on cones too - brought out my spirals quite nicely although my hair was still quite frizzy - but now that I'm off them I wonder if they weren't just damaging my hair even as they were making it look nicer, because when I went off them my hair suddenly got limp and scraggly looking even though I was treating it very well.

I try to keep relatively low maintenance with my hair. I condition/shampoo/condition and comb it when it's dry and then keep it out of my face. I don't put any heat on it, even diffusers I use only rarely. I give myself scalp massages. This is a very good hair type and capable of lots of beauty but mess with it too much and it just doesn't look quite right.

Ohio Sky
July 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Just like above poster, mine is extremely finicky with moisture. it likes oils, but gets greasy looking really easily, and I have no idea about protein. My hair seems to want it sometimes, but then it doesn't seem to do a whole lot with it.

Basically, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't know what my hair wants. I tried no cones for a while, but after a few weeks when I could not run a comb through my hair to save my life and it as falling out in handfulls... I went back to cones, and my hair is fine now. I don't really know how often I wash, probably every 3 or 4 days but I don't pay that much attention, just wash it when it need sit, which is usually when I accidentally over oil it. I've been using Garnier Fructise products, and have been using a Henna n' Placenta spray leave in at night along with a little bit of Kimberlily's defrizz spray. My hair seems to soak up both the protien and the moisture when done simultaneously, through the cones and all, so it's working for me for right now.

You've about the same length as me and I think this has something to do with it too, though I can't really explain the logic behind that thought. My hair seems to get manipulated a lot because of where it falls, it easily falls over my shoulders still, and rubs on the part of my back that is above my waist line. I'm not sure if that made any sense whatsoever. :silly:

I, too, wanted to try the natural route, henna, no cones, no sulphates, oil, etc. but I find my hair just doesn't like it. It falls out in handfuls after henna and no cones, and I don't see any improvement in body, shine, anything like some do. So, I'm back to regular old PPD dye and cones. I've gotten to where I don't care as long as I can rake a comb through it.

Tangles
July 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
I have the same problems as Ohio Sky. My hair doesn't know what it wants from me. I can do all the "right things" and it will look fried. I haven't touched a blow dryer in so long, and my hair has yet to thank me for it!

I feel like wavy hair really begs to be long. Which is good when it's actually long, not so good when it's above BSL. Straight hair or curly hair look much better at all lengths (IMO). This, combined with the fact that my hair hates most products, has resigned me to updos most of the time for now.

neenerbabe
July 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Well, my routine is probably one that most wouldn't use but works great for me. Luvs me the cones. I use Aussie Mega shampoo and condish, and I CWC. I wash every other day, only shampooing the scalp. Then I use a leave in, either the V05 detangling spray or the Garnier fructis leave in condish. Henna the roots every month or so. Usually have it in a hairstick or braid during the day. Only blow dry the fringe around my face a bit. Very rarely have splits anymore, I think because I use leave-ins with 'slip' and my hair doesn't get tangled or damaged. I'm really happy with how my hair is, though my routine isn't really the norm at LHC, lol.;)

Ohio Sky
July 22nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
There's nothing wrong with cones, neenerbabe. :cool:

I love the Aussie line, and Garnier Fructis products. Aussie smells really good, too. I like the Moist products, I've never tried Mega, but I love their leave in and 3 Minute Miracle is great.

For me, and maybe it's just because of dye damage, but cones are a must, apparently.

catfish
July 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'm a 2a-2b /F/ ii, not your twin but I am a herb washer. Have you tried catnip? I find that catnip enhances my waves nicely and has taken the place of conditioner for me. My routine is:
brush well
WO to 'wash'
catnip tea for conditioner ( I dump a cup of catnip tea on my head and length, let it sit while I finish other bathing stuff, then rinse)
WO to rinse
sleep with it damp
comb and brush in the morning
sometimes use a tiny bit of oil if hair feels dry (ends only)

Catnip tea has made a big difference in the softness in my hair, plus much less tangles. I seriously couldn't put a comb through my hair before, even with conditioner (cone/ no-cone made no difference) I was forced to adopt a WO/ zero product routine after a chemical accident and now I wish I had tried the WO and catnip sooner. HTH

Good luck finding something that works for you;) catfish

tiny_teesha
July 25th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Wow, it shows that for different people even with similar products that a different method of care is needed.
I find with cones my hair is flatter and i like the slip but i'll see if i still like it after i've used up all my product, clarify well and go to no cone pears, then to herbs, see if i find something that works after a break and pick which one i like more!

I think because i have so many hair states (virgin roots, partially damaged hair and fried hair with henna on top) that it is hard to make all parts happy!! My scalp was happiest with herbs i think and no cone, but even with head and sholders it is dusting (like fine flakes, but not full on dandruff) and it feels dry also- but putting conditioner on my scalp is out of the question- perhaps a honey rinse will cure that!!??

I haven't been able to source catnip- but the second i do i will try i've heard heaps of good things about it!

I care for my hair well, satin pillow case, no heat, hand carved comb, etc....but the killed hair is still aweful and that it my fault for killing it in the first place.

I will never use henna again- it robbed me of my waves and that is what i like about my hair, so i won't be using that anymore! I am growing it out.

Yeh it is a journey and i still haven't found what my hair likes. I haven't used protein in YONKS and it is happy as, and before my hair would kill me if i didn't load it with protein- i wish it would make up it's mind!!!! :) hehe

Thanks all, for sharing your specific hair routine and what works for you!