PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what scissors to buy.

soprano
April 2nd, 2020, 12:34 PM
I need some hair scissors and I have no idea where to start.

Surely I can't be the only person in this boat - we are under a stay-at-home order for another month at least. I could use a trim and my poor curly-haired husband is turning into a puffball.

What is a good make/model of hair scissors? I'd like to keep it under $100 and under $50 would be better. I guess I'm going to need to get clippers for my husband - any recommendations for an absolute novice? I used to trim my own bangs but I haven't tried anything beyond that since I was about 4 years old.

FrayedFire
April 2nd, 2020, 01:49 PM
I just got a pair from CVS and they seem to work well enough, just keep them away from everyone else!!

Alila
April 2nd, 2020, 01:54 PM
These are the scissors that I have: Olivia Garden SilkCut 5,75 Inch.
They are comparatively small, which is better for S&D. Smaller scissors allow for more accuracy but they are more ineffective when you're planning on cutting a lot of hair at once. I've had these for almost 3 years and I am very happy with them.
https://www.amazon.de/Olivia-Garden-SilkCut-Haarschneide-Schere-Rechtshand/dp/B003LRFUBS/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3 %91&dchild=1&keywords=olivia+garden+schere&qid=1585854276&sr=8-9

I've also tired the Jaguar Pre Style RELAX but I didn't like them. They didn't feel as high quality to me.
https://www.amazon.de/Jaguar-Pre-Style-mattiert-Relax-Professionelle-Haarschneidescherem-Zoll/dp/B001DHT5Z0/ref=sr_1_34?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C 3%91&dchild=1&keywords=haarscheere&qid=1585855988&sr=8-34
(the links are to the german amazon store)

I've also, also tried cheep scissors from a drug store. I would not recommend that. I noticed a lot more split ends. A problem that has gone away with my Olivia Garden scissors.

When I bought my scissors I searched for advice on the LHC and both the Olivia Garden and the Jaguar had been talked about and recommended.

There are scissors that have micro teeth, it's meant to keep the hair strands from slipping away when you're cutting. My scissors don't have that and I decided against it because I was afraid it might cause damage.

No matter which scissors you choose it's important to take care of them. Don't cut anything but hair with them, don't let them fall to the floor, clean hair of of them and let them dry if they get wet.

FrayedFire
April 2nd, 2020, 02:17 PM
^yeah to be fair the first pair I got weren't very good, I'm not sure how I feel about the grippy shears either.

lapushka
April 3rd, 2020, 04:37 AM
I need some hair scissors and I have no idea where to start.

Surely I can't be the only person in this boat - we are under a stay-at-home order for another month at least. I could use a trim and my poor curly-haired husband is turning into a puffball.

What is a good make/model of hair scissors? I'd like to keep it under $100 and under $50 would be better. I guess I'm going to need to get clippers for my husband - any recommendations for an absolute novice? I used to trim my own bangs but I haven't tried anything beyond that since I was about 4 years old.

For 50 dollars you should be able to get some good ones. Mine cost around 50 euro (Ultron brand, basic pro shears) and they are razor (cut myself one time), raaaazor sharp. :lol:

I think mane choice do ones. Wait a minute. I got this link floating around here somewhere. Here you go:
https://themanechoice.com/products/shear-surgical-precision-professional-cut-split-end-eliminator?variant=10422455303

You can probably order these online even.

Just an idea.

There's Tweezerman, and that's not bad either.

soprano
April 6th, 2020, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the recommendations! My mother has always had hair scissors and it's funny how I never even questioned why anyone would have special scissors for hair; it's just how one does things. Ditto for fabric scissors. Unfortunately my fabric shears are quite heavy, and my embroidery scissors are 30 years old and have lost their edge.

I've wondered about the grippy ones. Sounds like the consensus is "no?"

SleepyTangles
April 7th, 2020, 01:18 AM
It's 6+ years that I use Muji brand hair scissors. They aren't professional ones but they glide smoothly and they are sharp and tight.
The quality feels way better than most non-professional hair shears, and the cost is reasonable (20€, more or less).