PDA

View Full Version : Castor Oil staining hair yellow?

mochiface
March 31st, 2020, 06:37 AM
Hello, so I have very light blonde hair and decided to do some damage repair and put castor oil on it forgetting that people use it to possibly make their hair darker. My hair now has very light yellow hues from the castor oil and I'm wondering if this is permanent or if a clarifying shampoo will get rid of the yellow or will bleaching it again have to be the solution?:confused::confused:

Ylva
March 31st, 2020, 06:48 AM
There's a very good chance clarifying shampoo will get rid of it. Just don't keep staining it, and it should fade eventually if not after just one wash. I've often stained my very porous, bleached ends with a variety of hues and even the most stubborn ones have eventually come out.

lapushka
March 31st, 2020, 09:27 AM
Amla oil stains too, if you're interested. No using castor oil or amla on lighter blonde hair! But yeah, that's a little after the fact.

I'm sure Ylva is right and a clarifying shampoo will get rid of it fine.

Don't. Don't! Don't bleach it for an oil!

Lucy McLucyFace
March 31st, 2020, 04:17 PM
You're probably better off without castor oil. It gained some bad rep after it caused hair felting in India

AutobotsAttack
March 31st, 2020, 04:28 PM
There’s nothing wrong with oils deepening the hair color. It’s quite a good thing actually. It’s not permanent, so if it’s bothering you to any degree just wash it out. A clarifying wash isn’t really necessary, in my opinion.

ynne
March 31st, 2020, 06:44 PM
If it doesn't wash out easily & nothing else works, you could try toning it down (with purple) so that it's more ashy than yellow?

You're probably better off without castor oil. It gained some bad rep after it caused hair felting in IndiaCorrect me if I'm wrong but didn't it happen to just one person? I couldn't find more than that, at least.

Lucy McLucyFace
April 1st, 2020, 01:35 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it happen to just one person? I couldn't find more than that, at least.

From what I've seen yes but I wouldn't wish that horror on my worst enemy

Mariekeeee14
April 1st, 2020, 06:25 AM
Perhaps a silver shampoo might help too?

Oh and I use normal castor oil, not Jamaicaan black castor oil and that does not stain my hair in any way. The best description of the colour is ‘light blonde’ actually.

ynne
April 1st, 2020, 01:25 PM
From what I've seen yes but I wouldn't wish that horror on my worst enemy

Hm, I see... honestly, with its popularity for such a long time, across many countries and continents, I find it weird that this doesn't happen more often, even though it's considered a "rare" disorder. I know they theoretically tried to rule out other causes, but if it only happened once, it sounds very very unlikely to me! Or maybe it was a combination of causes that the oil contributed to... but still.
But yeah, it must have been awful! Regular matting is bad enough.

lapushka
April 1st, 2020, 01:49 PM
Perhaps a silver shampoo might help too?

Oh and I use normal castor oil, not Jamaicaan black castor oil and that does not stain my hair in any way. The best description of the colour is ‘light blonde’ actually.

To be fair, your hair isn't that light in shade. On light blonde, things can stain pretty badly. Red is pretty dark.

BerrySara
April 1st, 2020, 04:59 PM
To Mariekeeee14's point though, they do have clear castor oil (https://www.etsy.com/listing/275993250/castor-oil-by-livana-natural-100-pure-16?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=castor+oil&ref=sc_gallery-1-8&plkey=6268b9fc07f99fb528048ab57a0d3db5cbe6e0fe%3A2 75993250)that wont stain because of its lack of color. The dark color in black castor oil is from burning of the beans but cold pressed castor oil is very light yellow or clear.

But I did find that the clear castor oil is slightly more expensive.

Mariekeeee14
April 7th, 2020, 09:05 AM
To be fair, your hair isn't that light in shade. On light blonde, things can stain pretty badly. Red is pretty dark.

Thanks, not what I meant. BerrySara showed what I meant. It’s castor oil that in the bottle looks like light blonde, like light yellow.

BleachedBerry
May 31st, 2020, 07:00 PM
Hello, so I have very light blonde hair and decided to do some damage repair and put castor oil on it forgetting that people use it to possibly make their hair darker. My hair now has very light yellow hues from the castor oil and I'm wondering if this is permanent or if a clarifying shampoo will get rid of the yellow or will bleaching it again have to be the solution?:confused::confused:

I have never had this problem. I am a bleach blonde and use castor oil frequently, mainly Jamaican black castor oil.
If castor oil is the culprit discontinue use and try a clarifying shampoo. Bleaching will not help in this situation.
You may want to look into other causes of yellowing as well.
You could try purple shampoo designed for blondes to counter act the yellow. Many blondes, natural and bleached and even grey hair, have this problem because your hair is a blank canvas for chlorine, mineral build up, medications, environment and many other things that will not be visible in darker hair colors.

Bat
May 31st, 2020, 08:13 PM
The hair felting was probably caused by either having the oil too hot when applying or they didn't add a carrier oil with it

BleachedBerry
June 2nd, 2020, 02:03 AM
The hair felting was probably caused by either having the oil too hot when applying or they didn't add a carrier oil with it

Could be this. Though I often straight castor oil. Maybe I attributed yellow to the tone I get when my toner fades anyway.