PDA

View Full Version : Box braids, and other similar styles (Tips and Advice, Mostly)

AutobotsAttack
March 28th, 2020, 08:26 PM
This is for those who regularly wear styles such as box braids, plaits, cornrows, traditional twist styles including passion twists, Senegalese twists, and 3-4 strand twists.

These are some general tips and advice, because I often see a lot of ladies either getting these style installed improperly, way too tight, or doing the installation in such ways that lead to breakage, and excess shedding due to too high of tension.

I’ve recently transitioned to solely having my hair in either twists, or box braids. I’ve been doing so for the last half of 2019, until currently, that has helped me reach the current length that I’m at now.

#1. There is absolutely NO reason for either box braids, or any twist style variation to be braided tightly. And when I mean tightly, I’m talking about so tight that the braids or twists cause headaches, small bumps or acne, bleeding, excessive shedding, and/or breakage. If you can’t gently rotate or move the braid or twist around freely without discomfort, it is way too tight.

#2. Choose hair health over aesthetics. Smaller braids, twists, or cornrows look pretty and intricate, but they do NOTHING in terms of cutting down over manipulation. The longer it takes to install, and the longer you’re messing with your actual hair, the more opportunities are present for breakage. Same goes for the take down. If you’re having to un-do over 30-80+ individual braids, twists, or cornrows, you’re still taking a much longer time of having your hands in your hair.

#3. Pick your individual braid and twist sizes carefully. They shouldn’t be too small, but they also shouldn’t be too big either. In the same way braiding too tightly causes tension issues, so do too big of braids or twists. Cornrows in general, can be larger since they aren’t hanging from a small section of hair like braids and twists do. Concerning extensions, braids or twists that are the same size as or bigger than two fingers, are way too big, for a section of hair that is 2 inches or less in width and length. A good amount of single braids or twists to have is anywhere between 10-20 braids or twists, and around 5-10 cornrows.

#4. If you are adding hair, be they synthetic or human-hair extensions, add no more than half of the actual hair you’re braiding. So if you’re braiding a section of your own hair that is 1 inch, only add .5 inches worth of hair per section you’ve made. Another way is to look at the hair and separate those strands of hair in half. That would be how much hair you’d add to the extensions. Same goes for 2 inches. Add 1. 3 inches, add 1.5, etc.

#5. If your hair type is one where braids or twists come apart easily, or extensions slip out, you can do the rubber band method, but be careful. Keep the bands at LEAST 1/2 an inch away from your scalp.

#6. Wash and condition your roots regularly. There’s no reason to be skipping washes to preserve your style. Can’t have your cake and eat it too with this one. If you normally wash once a week, continue doing so. If you wash 1-2 times a week continue doing so. Don’t sacrifice the health of your scalp. If you’re itching and scratching like crazy, just wash your hair. Frizz will happen one way or another.

#7. Concerning hair types of the 3c-4C range, I find personally that keeping the braids up in either a single braid, or bun keeps the braids moisturized for a longer period of time. Espeacially if you’ve just washed and conditioned them. Dont put them into an updo right away however, and don’t worry about hygral fatigue. Rarely is it an issue concerning the coily and kinky hair types.

#8. Give your edges a break. I do realize having your edges sleeked is a very “in-style” look, but fiddling with your edges too much and too often can cause your hair line to recede.

#9. When adding extensions, add at LEAST 2-3 inches of extra hair, so that when you cut the ends of the braid off to take them down, you don’t accidentally cut off inches worth of your hair. If you are only braiding or twisting your own hair, don’t completely braid or twist them all the way to the tips. Cuts down on tangling, and having to pull the ends apart to unravel.

#10. If you have hair that is as equally long as the extensions you’ve put in, MOISTURIZE THE ENTIRE BRAID. Yes, the additional hair helps keep your actual hair moisturized, but it isn’t a quick fix to consistently adding moisture to your hair. If the extension hair is feeling extremely dry, chances are your real hair is quite dry too.

#11. After you’ve finished the take down, DO NOT immediately shampoo your hair. Especially if you’ve had your hair in a long-term braided or twisted style. Doing so, often results in the root area getting really tangled or matted. After take down, gently remove as much shed hair from each individual section out of the shower with either a leave-in, moisturizer, or some conditioner. Steer clear of the scalp, and then proceed to shampoo followed by conditioning and detangling.

#12. If you’re doing cornrows, leave a small bit of space underneath them. You want to leave enough space to where a pen or pencil can slide underneath it with ease. If you can’t, then the cornrows are too tight.

#13. Sleep with your braids or twists on either a satin pillow case, or wrapped up in a scarf or bonnet.

#14. Do not add product to your scalp. If you have a scalp that isn’t finicky with oils, add a small amount and no more than 1-2 times per week. If you’re experiencing itching or flaking, it’s most likely to do with needing to actually cleanse your scalp, your braids are too tight, or the added hair might be rubbing against your scalp (which can be fixed by not braiding so close to the scalp in the first place.) But as far as conditioner, creams, moisturizers, or gels, keep them off of your scalp.

#15. For those who solely braid, twist, or cornrow their hair only, with no addition of extension hair, You should still wash your scalp regularly. The hair types typically associated with aforementioned hair styles usually stay put and mostly intact when washed under running water. To ensure they stay put even more, pay attention to your scalp mostly. Don’t mess with the ends too much. If you like to put your braids or twists into updos, try to do so gently and not too tightly. Same goes for styles with extensions added.

#16. After washing braids, or twists with extensions added, do not immediately put them up. They are much heavier when wet, and the added tension of an updo can cause excessive tenderness, breakage and/or headaches.

#17. The longer your extensions are, they should be no bigger than your pinky finger, or you should have less amounts of either braids or twists. Once you get passed waist to hip length braids, they need to be either much lighter by adding less hair, or just make less single braids/twists.

And the last tip:
If for any reason you are experiencing prolonged tightness, headaches, or scalp issues such as onset redness, or intense scalp flare ups, please take the braids down as quickly as possible. Again, do not sacrifice the health of your scalp and well-being of your hair for the aesthetic look of traditional ethnic box braids, cornrows, and twists.

These are just some of my personal tips from experience and observation. There’s always more or less things to know, but I feel that these are generally the most important for folks, including myself who regularly wear such styles. I often see these styles worn way too tightly, and then many people either shy away from them, or end up demonizing such styles from improper wear and upkeep, or watching others improperly wear them.

Hope some folks find this helpful.

0xalis
March 28th, 2020, 08:42 PM
Very well written and informative! Bumping in hopes anyone that needs this post will find it!

AutobotsAttack
March 28th, 2020, 09:04 PM
Very well written and informative! Bumping in hopes anyone that needs this post will find it!

Much appreciated :)

Shorty89
March 28th, 2020, 10:04 PM
Very informative. I don't have a good hairtype cor those styles, but I like learning about them. You might want to add some definitions of the types of styles?

AutobotsAttack
March 29th, 2020, 12:25 AM
Very informative. I don't have a good hairtype cor those styles, but I like learning about them. You might want to add some definitions of the types of styles?

Like a description of sorts?

cjk
March 29th, 2020, 06:55 AM
Like a description of sorts?

Let me give you an example. Until literally a year or two ago I used to think box braiding was a different braiding technique. I thought it had more in common with the four strand braided lanyards they make at summer camp, than hair braiding.

I now know it references the squares produced when sectioning. But even that recently, I didn't.

In other words, never assume that somebody is already familiar with the subject you're discussing. Even just the briefest primer can provide the necessary context. That's good advice, no matter what the subject is.

The more I pay attention to these tiles the more I like them, they're really very beautiful. Very different than what I'm used to, but very very beautiful.

Shorty89
March 29th, 2020, 09:27 AM
Let me give you an example. Until literally a year or two ago I used to think box braiding was a different braiding technique. I thought it had more in common with the four strand braided lanyards they make at summer camp, than hair braiding.

I now know it references the squares produced when sectioning. But even that recently, I didn't.

In other words, never assume that somebody is already familiar with the subject you're discussing. Even just the briefest primer can provide the necessary context. That's good advice, no matter what the subject is.

The more I pay attention to these tiles the more I like them, they're really very beautiful. Very different than what I'm used to, but very very beautiful.

Exactly. You could also post a link to a how-to video.

AutobotsAttack
March 29th, 2020, 11:22 AM

I wasn’t trying to assume anything?
As stated in my post I was offering advice for those who regularly wear them. I’m aware that not everyone is familiar with said styles, but that doesn’t denote that I assumed everyone just straight up knows what they are.

If someone doesn’t know what they are, I’m more than willing to post links, as Shorty89 has asked, but that doesn’t warrant making an assumption that I made an assumption that everyone knows the very many different styles and variations of braids, cornrows, and twists.

Entangled
March 29th, 2020, 11:49 AM
I agree with Autobots. In this case, the advice is targeted at people who are familiar with them. That group seems to include mostly black or mixed race people, a group that consists of many people with type 4 hair who have heard and use these styles, but may not learn how to use them in a hair-and scalp healthy way. I think the miscommunication comes from the fact that this board isn’t only aimed at type 3 and 4, but does have more active members in the 1-3 range, who tend to have different styles and norms.

ETA: correct me if I’m wrong or I said something misleading, that just seemed like what was happening.

AutobotsAttack
March 29th, 2020, 01:45 PM
I agree with Autobots. In this case, the advice is targeted at people who are familiar with them. That group seems to include mostly black or mixed race people, a group that consists of many people with type 4 hair who have heard and use these styles, but may not learn how to use them in a hair-and scalp healthy way. I think the miscommunication comes from the fact that this board isn’t only aimed at type 3 and 4, but does have more active members in the 1-3 range, who tend to have different styles and norms.

ETA: correct me if I’m wrong or I said something misleading, that just seemed like what was happening.

Absolutely. You are spot on.

AutobotsAttack
March 29th, 2020, 01:46 PM
I’ll also post links in this discussion a bit later, during my free time.

AutobotsAttack
March 30th, 2020, 09:24 PM
Here’s somewhat of an informative video on box braids, the shape they’re usually in, and how to install

https://youtu.be/D2tmzHYODTk

AutobotsAttack
March 30th, 2020, 09:25 PM
This one goes into some good detail on upkeep and washing

https://youtu.be/1-lH-SR7Piw

Can be applied towards box braids with extensions, and done on hair with no extensions added.