PDA

View Full Version : Know of any good Rapunzel retellings?

softheartedandl
March 28th, 2020, 02:16 PM
I'm an avid reader, and fairy tale retellings are one of my favorite kind of books to read. Right now I'm currently reading The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (and I LOVE them! Wolf is one of my new favorite characters ever!) and I just started the third book this morning, which is titled 'Cress' and it's a Rapunzel retelling!

I was thinking about how excited I was, as someone who has long hair, to read about a character who also has long hair and I realized that I haven't come across many Rapunzel retellings. Tons for Little Red Riding Hood (my personal favorite), tons for Beauty and the Beast, but it's slim pickings for Rapunzel, it seems.

Have of of y'all ever read any good Rapunzel inspired books?

KokoroDragon
March 28th, 2020, 04:33 PM
I know Gail Carson Levine does a lot of fairytale retellings, but I don't know if she has any Rapunzel ones. That could be something to look into.

KokoroDragon
March 28th, 2020, 04:39 PM
I found one! https://www.gailcarsonlevine.com/lkb.html

softheartedandl
March 28th, 2020, 05:29 PM
Ahh thanks so much! Gail Carson Levine actually wrote one of my favorite books of all time, Fairest, which is a Snow White retelling. I'll definitely check this one out!

Kalamazoo
March 28th, 2020, 06:54 PM
I found a bunch by searching for "Rapunzel" on Kindle.

Shorty89
March 28th, 2020, 10:06 PM
I like From a High Tower by Mercedes Lackey. It's a loose retelling that involves elemental magic.

HaMalka
March 28th, 2020, 10:34 PM
The Golden Braid - Melanie Dickerson

Golden - Cameron Dokey

Rapunzel's Revenge - Shannon Hale (It is a graphic novel)

Zel - Donna Jo Napoli

I haven't read some of these in a while but I remember them as good.

lapushka
March 29th, 2020, 12:52 PM
I used to love reading fairy tales. I think we have an old bound illustrated book around here somewhere. It's been passed on a few generations and has very pretty illustrations. They are more grown-up versions, but my mom used to read some from there and I was fascinated as a child.

We also have one on record and it was about (possible TMI) a butcher and chopped up little kids (I think an old Grimm tale).

But anyway that has nothing to do with Rapunzel. I think that was about the only fairy tale that I didn't know about until I got way older! Odd that (because I grew my hair out even before that).

Kalamazoo
March 29th, 2020, 10:25 PM
The Wikipedia article on Rapunzel https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapunzel has a lot of good historical info about older stories on which The Brothers Grimm based their tale.