PDA

View Full Version : Moisturising masks , DIY or commercial?

bubbles04
March 27th, 2020, 11:12 AM
Hey guys.

Do you have tips for providing moisture to the hair? Such as DIY moisturising hair masks or commercial masks which can keep the hair properly moisturized?

Ylva
March 27th, 2020, 11:21 AM
Many people here like the SMT (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). :)

bubbles04
March 27th, 2020, 12:12 PM
Thanks. Just read the thread. Very informative!

By the way have you used Shea Moisture 100% Raw Shea moisture? Will that work?

Ylva
March 27th, 2020, 12:14 PM
I have used the JBCO and the manuka honey & mafura oil masks from Shea Moisture, but not that particular one. They are nice but they do contain protein, so I use them when my hair needs protein. There are better commercial ones out there for moisture, in my opinion, for example the Hair Food (Treats in the US) masks from Garnier. My favourite is the papaya one.

bubbles04
March 27th, 2020, 12:26 PM
I have used the JBCO and the manuka honey & mafura oil masks from Shea Moisture, but not that particular one. They are nice but they do contain protein, so I use them when my hair needs protein. There are better commercial ones out there for moisture, in my opinion, for example the Hair Food (Treats in the US) masks from Garnier. My favourite is the papaya one.

Oh okay I see. I ve used the Garnier ones as well. The Banana one was really good.

lapushka
March 27th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Oh okay I see. I ve used the Garnier ones as well. The Banana one was really good.

Try the papaya one some time; and be amazed (the scent especially), but it's a bit more moisture than the banana one, at least for me. :)

Firefox7275
March 27th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Oftentimes people mix up hair being better moisturised (more water) with hair being better conditioned or 'emollience' (softness, slip, shine).

Healthy hair will hold the right amount of water in all but extreme conditions. Damaged, porous or older hair (ie. ends) tends to take up and lose water too easily.

Too much water/ over-moisturised hair is weak hair, and will become damaged over time. So it is important to match your intensive treatments or masks to your hair type or hair needs.

leafygreens18
March 27th, 2020, 04:01 PM
Many people here like the SMT (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). :)

Thanks. Just read the thread. Very informative!

By the way have you used Shea Moisture 100% Raw Shea moisture? Will that work?

I second SMT, I really don't think you can beat it. I've used those same two and the Garnier treats for the conditioner part and would highly recommend them for SMT probably the manuka honey more so than the JBCO

bubbles04
March 28th, 2020, 12:36 AM
Oftentimes people mix up hair being better moisturised (more water) with hair being better conditioned or 'emollience' (softness, slip, shine).

Healthy hair will hold the right amount of water in all but extreme conditions. Damaged, porous or older hair (ie. ends) tends to take up and lose water too easily.

Too much water/ over-moisturised hair is weak hair, and will become damaged over time. So it is important to match your intensive treatments or masks to your hair type or hair needs.

This is very helpful. How does one balance both protein and moisture properly?

Seeshami
March 28th, 2020, 08:57 AM
I do both as it pleases me but I also do really weird things to my hair.

I think the most important thing is experiment with organic food grade oils and find out what works and make your own oil mix. Then you can just oil, or mix it into concoctions and what have you.

solarbar
March 28th, 2020, 09:08 AM
I usually use a combination of egg, honey, and olive oil. I've never tried a commercial mask. I'll look through this thread for tips !

Firefox7275
March 28th, 2020, 01:53 PM
This is very helpful. How does one balance both protein and moisture properly?

Partly understanding your hair type and condition, partly trial and error unfortunately!

Hair that does well with hydrolysed protein includes damaged (heat/ chemical/ mechanical), fine hair, older ends. Coarse, low porosity hair seems to do less well with hydrolysed protren.

You might have either a regular rinse-off conditioner or an intensive conditioner that has both a traditional creamy 'emollient' base (fatty acids/ cationic surfactants) AND some hydrolysed protein.

Then experiment with time and heat because these encourage more of the protein, the emollients and other treatment ingredients to absorb (penetrate) or adsorb (stick) to hair. More information on all of this on the Science-y Hair Blog, the Natural Haven Bloom blog and likely somewhere here on LHC.

lapushka
March 29th, 2020, 05:04 PM
I usually use a combination of egg, honey, and olive oil. I've never tried a commercial mask. I'll look through this thread for tips !

Have you tried an SMT yet (snowymoon's moisture treatment)?

Belgrade Beauty
March 30th, 2020, 03:13 AM
Have you tried an SMT yet (snowymoon's moisture treatment)?

Can aloe vera gel be replaced with something else? Also can it be steam heated ,cause I don't have a microwave..?

Ylva
March 30th, 2020, 03:18 AM
Can aloe vera gel be replaced with something else? Also can it be steam heated ,cause I don't have a microwave..?

I haven't done any SMTs myself but I think an ingredient can just be omitted if not available. Also, I would favour ANY other heating method above a microwave oven because it's so good at killing nutrients.

Kalamazoo
March 30th, 2020, 11:11 AM
I highly recommend https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=150332&page=4 Post #37. (Yes, I'm sending you to my "Does eating peppermint grow hair faster?" thread.) {Note: I never make my hair mask exactly the same. I'm always tweaking it, adding this, leaving out that. I mean, my hair seems "hungry" for different things, just like you wouldn't eat exactly the same food day after day for every meal.}

FrayedFire
March 30th, 2020, 11:43 AM

Yes, and it doesn't actually need to be heated, that's just for making super duper extra sure it doesn't lighten hair, but you'd have to do it a bunch of times and it still probably wouldn't lighten your hair more than going out in the sun for an hour. It's worked just fine without the aloe for me so far but I haven't been able to try it with for a comparison.

ynne
March 30th, 2020, 05:04 PM

A bit off topic, but I really worried when I first read this type of stuff online – thinking my hair must be heavily damaged. (Without help of something to lock the moisture in, it starts to feel very dry some time after washing, and I would probably have to wash it daily.) But even as it never saw heat, dye (some parts henna'd, parts without that), or bleach, it just does not keep water very well! I don't think it should be considered unhealthy though, it just grows that way, and always did? :/

Ylva
March 30th, 2020, 11:47 PM
A bit off topic, but I really worried when I first read this type of stuff online – thinking my hair must be heavily damaged. (Without help of something to lock the moisture in, it starts to feel very dry some time after washing, and I would probably have to wash it daily.) But even as it never saw heat, dye (some parts henna'd, parts without that), or bleach, it just does not keep water very well! I don't think it should be considered unhealthy though, it just grows that way, and always did? :/

Some hair can be naturally porous. In that case, it is undamaged hair but naturally has this property that is commonly associated with chemically damaged hair, because chemical treatments do increase porosity. There's nothing wrong with having naturally porous hair! :)

ynne
March 31st, 2020, 04:24 PM
Some hair can be naturally porous. In that case, it is undamaged hair but naturally has this property that is commonly associated with chemically damaged hair, because chemical treatments do increase porosity. There's nothing wrong with having naturally porous hair! :)

Thank you for the reassuring ♥ I've read of other people (especially with curly hair like mine) having a similar experience, but despite knowing I treat it well, I have doubts sometimes if something's wrong with it. But I think you are right that it's just its natural state, which is a bit annoying but at least I know what I'm working with. :)

illicitlizard
March 31st, 2020, 06:02 PM
Another vote for SMT, it's great because you don't have to go out and buy a mask!
I've also bought a hask hair mask on occasion which my hair seems to like and it's easier than having to make a concoction (especially since some conditioners really don't play nice, had lots of trouble with my desert essences ones)