PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning to egg washes?

GoldenRussian
March 25th, 2020, 05:23 PM
I have a2/b2 thin caucasian hair. A few days ago, I washed my hair with 2 eggs and even if the texture was weird, it actually looked quite good, and it was pretty clean. Hair felt mostuirized. I haven't washed it in days now and the grease feels cleaner than the usual one after regular shampoo. But I know eggs can cause protein overload to hair, making it brittle and overall bad. So, how much egg is too much ? I plan doing it once a week, and not using other hair products. I'm not sure if it's just the first wash magic though, so we'll see.

Is regular shampoo a better take? Any of you using eggs to wash their hair?

lapushka
March 25th, 2020, 05:29 PM
I have a2/b2 thin caucasian hair. A few days ago, I washed my hair with 2 eggs and even if the texture was weird, it actually looked quite good, and it was pretty clean. Hair felt mostuirized. I haven't washed it in days now and the grease feels cleaner than the usual one after regular shampoo. But I know eggs can cause protein overload to hair, making it brittle and overall bad. So, how much egg is too much ? I plan doing it once a week, and not using other hair products. I'm not sure if it's just the first wash magic though, so we'll see.

Is regular shampoo a better take? Any of you using eggs to wash their hair?

Ooh difficult question. I know when I experimented, I used one egg, but my hair was around shoulder to APL, if I remember correctly. It wasn't that long. I guess it depends on how thin/thick and short/long your hair is as well.

I think there's an egg washing thread around here somewhere... :hmm:

kelsia.lee
March 25th, 2020, 05:39 PM
I wash my hair with eggs once every week to two weeks and my hair is softer then ever

kelsia.lee
March 25th, 2020, 05:40 PM
mind you it's had no negative effects so far

GoldenRussian
March 25th, 2020, 05:44 PM
I wash my hair with eggs once every week to two weeks and my hair is softer then ever

What type is your hair ?

Shorty89
March 25th, 2020, 05:46 PM
I think the only potential risk would be protein overload if you're protein sensitive. I think once a week should be okay. If you run into brittle hair, then you could clarify.

Entangled
March 25th, 2020, 05:47 PM
Egg proteins are actually too big to penetrate the hair shaft, so any brittleness won't be from protein overload but buildup. I haven't done extended egg washes because of cost (I'd rather eat them!), so I can't help you with that. My biggest challenge was just making sure I didn't cook the egg in my hair!

GoldenRussian
March 25th, 2020, 05:52 PM
Egg proteins are actually too big to penetrate the hair shaft, so any brittleness won't be from protein overload but buildup. I haven't done extended egg washes because of cost (I'd rather eat them!), so I can't help you with that. My biggest challenge was just making sure I didn't cook the egg in my hair!

Head upside down over bath tub helps :)

squirrrel
March 26th, 2020, 05:55 AM
I like to use egg sometimes, in deep conditioner as well as a wash by itself, but I hear we have an egg shortage here, so I am wondering how long I can justify using them for hair purposes...

SleepyTangles
March 26th, 2020, 06:00 AM
I think the best way Is to try and see how your hair reacts.
You'll discover if your hair needs regular shampoo every now and then, and how often.
You can also experiment with the whole egg, or just using the yolk.

lapushka
March 26th, 2020, 07:50 AM
OT, but eggs were doubly supplied in our stores (double the usual number). I think they know people want them badly.

March 28th, 2020, 06:04 AM
I used to wash with yolk only... Something to think about if whole egg will be too much for you.

Never could use it exclusively, but I can't use any other wash method either, so whatever.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 28th, 2020, 06:09 AM
Would washing with eggs cause buildup?

lapushka
March 28th, 2020, 09:52 AM
Would washing with eggs cause buildup?

Might if you're not careful. I think it would, yes. Just MHO. I don't know that much about it as I only tried it one time and quickly came back from it. I can't get my hair clean with egg. So I treated it as a mask pre-wash and still washed it out. Careful of the temperature!!!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 28th, 2020, 09:54 AM
Might if you're not careful. I think it would, yes. Just MHO. I don't know that much about it as I only tried it one time and quickly came back from it. I can't get my hair clean with egg. So I treated it as a mask pre-wash and still washed it out. Careful of the temperature!!!

Yes - temperature is the most important thing to remember when washing with eggs!